• Published 30th Jan 2016
  • 143 Views, 17 Comments

Finding the Mark - Plucky-the-Pony



She didn't have a name, at least, not one that she could remember, all she knew was life in the hospital. Now she must find the means to regain her strength, and most importantly, herself.

  • ...
 17
 143

Lost

Deep, deep down in the dark. Heavy at first, then rising, rising, rising. Warmth. Comfort. Then a slow dull throb of pain.

Sounds, soft at first, but rising in intensity, brought my ears to twitch in discomfort. Things were much louder then they were before, and with the dull throb I felt in my right hip, shoulder, and face, as well as several other parts of my body, a body that I was still getting use to, I longed for the sanctity of the darkness. Rolling onto my side, trying to bury my ears, I moaned as the dull throb became sharp and electric stabs, firing into my nervous system and forcing my eyelids to flutter violently. Too bright, too bright, too bright! I thought, longing to sink back into the depths of that blackness, yet longing still to go towards the Light. Yet the Light of my desire chose to manifest itself into the world of the living.

Voices now. Loud voices. Too loud voices. Excited and feminine voices. Though how I knew all that I wasn't sure, but when I blinked my eyes hazily again I saw two faces hovering over mine. Their big eyes and long noses. Triangular ears. Horns. Their voices rolled into one, echoing in and out of focus until one of them shone a light into my eyes. The light blinded me, but helped to bring all my other senses to focus.

"Can you hear me?" One voice repeated.

"Do you think there was any da--" The other began, but was hushed instantly by the pony with the light.

"Can you hear me?" She tried again, patiently waiting for my answer.

Unsure of how to respond, I tried to open my mouth and duplicate the sounds she made, but my mouth was cotton ball dry, and the best I could do was open and close my mouth.

"Go get some water," The first voice ordered quietly.

"On it," the second answered, before evacuating from my direct line of sight.

"Can you understand me?" She tried again, quieter now, obviously recognizing something in my face that seemed to exasperate my pain.

"You don't have to talk, sweety. Just try nodding or shaking your head, okay? Now let's try this again. Can you understand me?"

With a mighty effort, I nodded, ignoring the stabbing, shooting pains up my neck.

"Are you in any pain?"

I nodded again, resting the heavy weight of my head back on the pillow.

"Okay, I'll get you some pain killers as soon as I can. Just stay with me. We're going to get you some water and see how that settles, okay?"

Nodding my affirmation, I closed my eyes, finding the light to be too brilliant still.

"Don't fall back asleep now! We need you to stay awake."

Shaking my head in the faintest of negatives, I closed my eyes tighter, the only audible sound I could muster was another quiet moan.

There was a brief pause as the pony tried to define my meaning before continuing in her hushed voice. This time the voice moved about the room, and I assumed she was at the task of preparing those pain-killers she talked about. "You're in the hospital in Canterlot. Do you know where that is?"

I paused, then shook my head. The word itself bounced around in my head, vaguely sounding familiar, but I couldn't put anything to the word. Not a single emotion. It puzzled me.

"... Okay..." She began again, fumbling with her words like I was with my predicament. "Its in Equestria... You've been unconscious for a long time..."

"Eighteen months, two weeks, and five days to be exact," the other pony specified as she entered. My ear followed her approach as she came into view. She carried with her a foam cup with a lid and straw, though she carried it in the air, which puzzled me for a moment, but didn't take precedent over the former information. It sounded like a lot of time, but I wasn't too sure either... I felt like I had been in the Light for much longer then that, but I wasn't sure of that either... In fact, I couldn't remember a time before the Light. That bothered me.

The straw neared my lips, and I reached out weakly for it, sucking in the life-giving liquid greedily. So delicious was it that I practically groaned in pleasure.

Once my mouth was properly saturated, the first pony inquired again. "What's your name, Sweety?"

My... Name? I thought, puzzled at first, but the more I thought about it the more it bothered me, especially when I watched the two ponies exchange a look. I shook my head slowly, trying not to let the panic in my chest escape to my face.

"We... We couldn't find your Cutie Mark when you came in... So we don't have a clue on who you are or where you came from... Do you not remember anything?"

Slowly I shook my head, too shocked now... How can I not remember my name? Still shaking my head, I could no longer hold back the panic in my chest. It burst from my like a wolf, growling its groans at first, which swiftly turned into pitiful whines as the pain in my body escalated. Rushing around, the ponies quickly set to task with some tubes, and it wasn't long till I fell blissfully back into the depths of blackness.