• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 461 Views, 5 Comments

Creature of the Night Episode 2- Pure of Heart - CreatureofTheNight



A few weeks after Creature is discovered Twilight gets a letter from Celestia that she is coming

  • ...
3
 5
 461

Showdown

Creature's eyes locked onto Luna's as she descended. "Hello Luna," the vampire pony said, guardedly. "I take it you're here to kill me too?"

"That is why I'm here." Luna landed on the forest floor standing across from him. "For the record though, this isn't personal, I was just a little filly when I met Purity. I don't even remember what she looks like," she admitted.

"I'll never forget what she looked like," he replied softly. The two of them began to circle each other, each hoof stepping on the whole ground, waiting for somepony to make the first move. "You don't have to do this, Luna. Celestia doesn't know the whole story, even though I told her over and over again. You of all ponies should know that sometimes misses the big picture."

"She does have a habit of doing that," Luna conceded. "However, Dueling, I was there, those wounds on her neck, how close you were holding her, how much you were apologizing. I do not think you did it on purpose, but I can not say I do not think you did not kill her." Her eyes opened "I want you to tell me the truth, Dueling. Did you feed on her out of a need for blood?"

"I've told the truth for the longest time," Creature said point blank. "I would have never done that to Pure. It was my crazy..." He growled, deciding that crazy wasn't good enough; "No, my heartless bitch of a mother. All my life she's wanted to kill me." Creature paused and looked at Luna, his face open. "But she knew she couldn't, so she decided to hurt me in the worst way. Luna, that is the honest truth."

The two night guardians stood across from each other as Luna let out a heavy sigh, "When will your lies end, Dueling? Just confess, I won't be mad, an accident can be forgiven over time. Tia might take longer, but if she knew it was an accident..."

Rage boiled over as Creature barked "It was not an accident!"

With narrowed eyes, Luna's voice matched one of pity "Very well. If that is your final answer..." Suddenly her horn glowed and she fired the first shot. Creature was forced to leap to one side to avoid the sizzling beam of energy. He felt its heat as it slashed past him and into a tree, splitting the wood wide open. "Then you must die for your actions."

Luna's horn was firing a constant stream of a magical blast that was splitting more trees in half, following Creature's dive into the forest, away from the grave stones he wanted to protect so much. He looked up and saw Luna sailing in the sky blasting down, ripping apart the forest.

Tree's were falling left and right, as Creature started to jump on them, from branch to branch, fighting his way through clouds of charred leaves, until he got directly below Luna, spread his own wings and shot straight up, slamming his right forehoof into her stomach. Caught off guard, Luna found herself spinning off course, gasping for air. Recovering quickly, she countered with a powerful mystical force field that sent Creature flying in a tail spin. Creature spread his wings out defiantly and then looked at Luna blasting at him. He dove down, feeling the flashes of energy getting closer and closer. Deciding it was now or never, Creature climbed quickly and charged at her, flying around her blast till he got face to face and bucked both hooves at her. However, Luna teleported and appeared above him, then stomped on Creature's back causing him to slam into the forest floor so hard he formed a crater on impact.

Slowly Luna floated down, while Creature defiantly picked himself up. Creature's eyes locked onto Luna's, glaring at her. She glared back, keeping her eyes fixed on him. As she lowered her head for a final, crippling attack, she noticed that his eyes seemed more swirly than Luna remembered. Slowly, exhaustion began to conquer her body. Her hooves and wings felt heavy, and her horn ached dully. Creature could see Luna realizing her mistake. Just as she was about to look away, the vampire's voice began to echo around her skull: "Now...sleep!" Without another word Luna collapsed, falling into a deep rest as her opponent walked away, cracking his back, to walk off his injuries. He sat down close to Luna and panted, planning on taking the Princess home for some well deserved rest. Leaning his head against a tree, he allowed himself a long, slow, triumphant sigh of relief.

The next thing he felt was the all-too-familiar sensation of a pair of hooves bucking him in the face. It seemed that Luna had been faking. Propelled by the force of the Night-Princess' buck, he was sent hurtling through several trees, sustaining even more cuts and bruises on the way. He whirred his wings as fast as he could, fighting to regain control. He was almost sure that he could do so before he hit the ground. But alas, he never reached the ground. His brief return to the skies came to a premature and, since he had his eyes closed, unexpected, end as the unfortunate vampire smashed into the side of Twilight's castle. He knew it was Twilight's castle, because for the next few seconds all he could see were various shades of purple and blue. Then he slid painfully down the side of the crystal edifice and lay in a crumpled heap at its base, his limbs pointing in various unnatural directions.

A side-effect of the collision was that such was the force with which Creature struck the castle - hard enough to kill an ordinary pony - that the whole structure shook violently, the crystal reverberating with a loud, shimmering "SSSHHHHHAAAAANNGGGG!" Understandably, Twilight woke with a start. Leaping out of bed onto the uncertain floor, she rushed over to her window to see Luna stalking towards the stunned Creature. She galloped out of the room and down the stairs as the defiant self-proclaimed night guardian got slowly to his hooves. He looked at his adversary, whose horn had begun to emit a dark blue glow, and snarled. The Guardian of Dreams said simply "I'm sorry." Then she fired her blast at Creature.

Luna's look of grim determination turned to one of horror as a bolt of pink plasma crashed into her own, deflecting it upwards and flashing so brightly that she was temporarily blinded. Once she'd recovered, she found Twilight blocking the way between her and Creature.

In the meantime, Creature's mind was suffering delusions from the blow, as he didn't see Twilight standing there defending him. He saw instead the mare that made his life worth living, Purity Heart staring down a taller mare. Below him was not grass but, in his mind, thick, luxurious carpet He looked on in awe as Twilight and Pure's voices merged: "Leave him alone!"

Creature shook the cobwebs from his head; there was a glow in his eyes. The moonlight reflected the glow. Twilight was about to plead her case, but now Creature knew it wouldn't work. Summoning all his strength, he said, his voice rasping, fierce, and monstrous "Not again. I will not have somepony die in front of me again."

Luna looked at him confused, and was about to say that she would never hurt Twilight, when suddenly Creature hurled his unwilling body towards her, connected a vicious blow right across against her snout and sending her flying. He hissed as he went to fight, but then he turned and saw Twilight, who again in his mind looked like Pure, shaking in fear of him. He shook his head over and over again, until finally he just collapsed.


A little while later, Twilight looked for a few moments at the recovering Creature before returning to her library to pace. "It doesn't make sense, Spike." She said, still pacing up and down. "Creature's story and Celestia's claims both sound believable. Creature clearly hates whoever his mother was. Celestia on the other hoof, I've never seen her so dead certain about something." She rubbed her temple. "Urg... I wish I could just..." Once again she eyed Starswirl's time travel spell, just lying there on the table. She knew she shouldn't have kept a copy after making such a big show of destroying it, but still...

"Twilight, maybe you should," suggested Spike, helpfully.

"Go back in time?" Twilight asked, acting super-confused, as though time-travel had been the last thing she was considering. "Are you sure that's a good idea? I mean, after what happened the last time..."

"It worked out alright in the end, didn't it?" He sighed. "This is the only way I can think of to get concrete answers."

Twilight looked at Spike and reluctantly agreed that he was right. She walked to the map and her horn glowed fiercely. "Here we go...if my friends ask where I am tell them the truth. If Creature tries to leave, don't let him."

Spike nodded and whispered "Good luck, Twilight."

And with that, she was gone.

Author's Note:

Chapters 1-3 were once again edited by Minister of Scones. You're awesome buddy, keep up the good work.