• Published 20th Jan 2016
  • 247 Views, 5 Comments

The Lost Spark - SkyFlare



Years before Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, three ponies unwillingly opened a gate to another world.

  • ...
 5
 247

Chapter 4.5 Violet

Violet slowly walked out onto the field, looking at the crater where a house had once been. There was nothing left there except for the glimmer of magic that remained after whatever spell had been cast. She had heard about the events that had transpired earlier that day from a pony who had been walking the fields, simply double checking to make sure that everything that had to be done, was done.

About half an hour before she had arrived on scene at the field, he had galloped into Stable, screaming about how the world was ending. When Violet had asked about it, the pony explained that he had seen Sonnet approaching the house that had once stood in that spot, but as soon as she got there, she and the house vanished into thin air.

“This was clearly a very powerful spell.” Violet said as she stepping into the rubble that was left in the bottom of the hole.

As Violet began to search through what remained of the house, which was mostly broken planks of wood, she started thinking. She remembered seeing a unicorn move into this house a couple of days before hoof. It hit her like a brick when she realized that this was the same place that both Sonnet and Spark had been going to.

Violet looked around, noticing that most of the town was standing out in the field that had surrounded the house. As she scanned the crowd, she noticed that Spark wasn’t there either. Sonnet was to be expected, seeing as she had vanished with the house, but Violet had been praying that the same fate had not befallen her brother.

She quickly galloped out of the crater and into the crowd. “Has anypony seen my brother?” she called out. “Has anypony seen Spark?”

She began to feel a sense of dread as she realized that if she hadn’t helped Spark recover from being sick that morning, if she had just made him live with that one mistake, he would have stayed home and never gone missing. She would rather Spark be sick than lose him to a vanishing house.

The crowd responded to Violet’s cries with an outstanding silence before one pony spoke up, Sonnet’s father.

“Sonnet told me… she told me that he was going to be at that unicorn’s house, and she was going to meet him there once she got to feelin’ better.”

Violet, in a fit of terror, fled the scene and started scouring the fields, desperately searching for her beloved brother. It was late at night by the time that she finally fell into the tall grass, vision completely lost through a combination of tears and the dark of night. She looked up into the sky in utter despair, wiping away her tears for a moment as she stared at the moon. She had heard that their new princesses were from the sun and the moon, and she had hoped that if she prayed to the moon that one of them would hear her.

“Please, Princess of the Night, I need your help. My brother is lost, and I don’t know what to do.” Violet pled with the celestial body. “I… I’m begging you.”

She had faith in the princess, but she could not bring herself to sit idly by. She quickly galloped to her home and charged into her brother’s room. She grasped a scarf in her magic and pulled from it a spare hair that had clung to it since the last winter. Once she had the hair she moved on to her room and got a map from her shelf.

Her horn flared as she cast a scrying spell to find her brother. The particular one that she was casting showed that he was a few kilometers away. A glowing spot on the map moved around, showing where Spark was. There was something off about it though, the glow, which should have been opaque, was transparent. She had never seen anything like that before.

Rolling the map up and placing the hair in a vial, she packed her saddlebags and ran toward the door. Just as she got there, her parents arrived at the house.

“Where are you going?” her mother asked.

“I’m going to find Spark.” Violet said, she was unable to mask her worry though. “I have a lead, a scrying spell showed me where he is. Can you handle winter this year?”

“I won’t…” her mother started, but she was silenced as her father placed a hoof on the mare’s shoulder.

“We can. Do what you have to. Find him.” he said, showing more confidence than Violet felt.

Violet nodded, holding back the tears until she was far from the house. She was the best pony for the job. She knew the most spells, she had the strongest magic, and she would not give up until Spark was safe at home.

Author's Note:

Sorry that it is so short, but it felt complete, at least to me. There will be more later, I promise that.