• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 638 Views, 1 Comments

A Tale of Adventure - TriggerHappyDude

  • ...
 1
 638

The Adventure Starts

A Tale of Adventure

Chapter 1

“My friends the drinks are all on me today!” Vodos yelled as he walked into the Blue Moon inn, head held high.

“What’s the occasion?” cried Ivan, longtime friend of Vodos. “Or did you know that we left our coin in the bank.” Vodos, with his head still held high replied.

“While mining in the Falador mines, I found a small diamond worth around 10K (K= thousands) on the Grand Exchange. There was a buyer, a jewelry maker already at the Exchange waiting for a seller.”

“10K, Wish I had that luck.” Eagle Eye replied, another one of Vodos’s longtime friends. “All I made today were fifty steel arrows for myself and no coin”

“Fifty, that’s not a bad amount.” Said Vodos “why don’t you sell them on the Exchange, you are always saying how little money you have.”

“They take too long to make” replied Eagle Eye, a little annoyed. “And I would make little coin on the Exchange. A steel arrow isn’t as popular as a nice adamant or rune arrow, plus steel is the only metal I know how to work with.”

“Hmm,” Vodos said thinking. “With your marksmanship skills you could hunt dark unicorns with Ivan and me. Last time I checked their horns are selling high on the Exchange.”

“Actually that wouldn’t work.” chimed Ivan. “I’ve been waiting a week for a buyer to take my offer.”

“Really?” replied Vodos a bit confused. “We didn’t have that problem all of last month. In fact you were able to by that new shield off the horns you collected.”

“Well as it turns out, only one clan bought the horns.” Said Ivan
“Oh I heard of this.” replied Vodos.

“What?” Asked Eagle Eye.
“I forget what the method is called but it’s when a large clan will only buy one item on the Exchange, causing the price to rise due to the increased demand. When the item’s price reaches an all-time high, they sell all of what they bought at the new increased price. Then the clan moves on to a new item. Now sellers who benefited from this need to wait for the price to drop back down before people began to buy what you’re trying to sell. This can take a long time. Shame, I still have a bunch in the bank I was planning to sell.”

“Money troubles again?” asked a voice.

Everyone at the table turned to see their friend Chef Man with their drinks.

“Chef Man!” they cried.

“Bought time.” Said Ivan reaching for his drink.

“Hold it! Coin first” Said Chef Man with his hand out.
Ivan had a history of not paying. He was normally long gone before anyone asked for their money. Chef Man on the other hand was smarter than that. Ever since his first run in with Ivan he made everyone pay before anyone got anything.

“It’s ok, I’m paying today.” Said Vodos placing the gold coins in Chef Mans hands.

“Really?” Chef Man said handing them their drinks. “I can remember you three talking yesterday about how little money you had.”

Vodos grinning “found a diamond in the Falador mines, worth 10K.”

“Lucky find.” Said Chef Man

“Tell me about it,” groaned Eagle Eye.
“Well if you excuse me I need to get back to work.” Said Chef

“Nah.” Said Ivan, “sit down and have a drink, you looked a little stressed.”

“I guess.” Said Chef Man, pulling up a chair “I am a little stressed out at the moment”

Chef Man was the owner of the Blue Moon inn and a great chef, hence the name. He started out as a potion maker, an herbalist and had a little shop before converting it to an inn. The man was an excellent herbalist and made cure-alls, anti-poisons and just about anything to suit your needs. He really didn’t explain why he became a chef but as it turns out he is just as good as a chef as an herbalist. But being a great chef or herbalist doesn’t help with the fact that ingredients have raised in price causing him to have money troubles of his own. Next there was Ivan the muscle of the group. Like many adventures he got his start in the Lumbridge cow fields. He learned quickly that he had a special talent with his family’s Abyssal whip. After he built up the strength he entered tournaments and won several. The man was a force to reckon with. Next there’s Vodos, the brains. Vodos was a little out of shape do to the fact he never found a reason to really work out. The only thing he did work out was his mind. From day one he practiced combat spells until he had the ability to cast god spells. After many months of training, research and many expensive runes, he traveled to the deepest part of the wilderness to the Mage Arena to learn all three god spells, The Claws of Guthix, The Flames of Zamorak and Saradomin Strike. Lastly there’s Eagle Eye the pinpoint accurate archer. He got his start from his family whom all are members of the Range Guild. Rumor has it that he shot a fly one hundred meters away without killing it; of course this is just a rumor but doesn’t mean he isn’t a good shot, in fact he is a really good shot. His bow of choice is his dark bow that he got from a bandit he killed in the wilderness. With him and his bow he earned a name for himself in the Range Guild, not an easy feet. But all great adventures need money and money is something they don’t have.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I got it!” yelled Vodos. “Dragons.”
After about an hour of drinking, the four of them are trying to come up with a solution to their money problems.

“Wait what?” Asked Eagle Eye a little confused

“We could use my multi cannon to hunt dragons and sell their bones and scales”
Bones are used for religious purposes and the bigger the bones the more value it has, and dragons bones are large bones, worth around 5k a bone. Scales on the other hand are worth around a little less depending on the type. They sell for around 2K minimum a hide

“That’s a little crazy, even for you.” exclaimed Ivan. “First the Green dragons would be the easiest to hunt, but the fact their deep in the Wilderness makes it extremely dangerous, next the only place we know where to find Blue dragons are on an island that doesn’t even allow weapons. Finally we don’t know where to find red of black dragons.”
Ivan did have a point, it would be pointless to fight blue dragons without weapons, and they didn’t know where red or black dragons where. Green dragons on the other hand are the weakest breed, but deep in the wilderness it can be dangerous. First are the dragons themselves, their fire could kill a man in seconds, but if you have an anti-dragon shield the fire is no problem. Next are the revenants, powerful spirits that wander the wilderness with one thought in mind, kill. All of them have encountered a revenant in the past, and where almost killed. Finally if the revenants don’t kill you a passing adventure looking for a fight or profit will. Just recently death by adventures has become the number one cause of death in the wilderness.

“yeah, you're right,” said Vodos, disappointment in his voice.

“That’s a first” laughed Eagle Eye but then sighed and said, “Look I’m thinking about selling my Dark Bow. It’s worth 1 million one the Exchange, that money alone would solve my problems”

“But the end of any kind of adventuring with us,” replied Ivan.

“Don’t sell it, there has to be a better way.” Vodos Said. “Plus that money can run out and you won’t have a way to earn it back once it’s out. You would need a more permanent solution.”

“I may have that permanent solution to our money troubles.” Said Chef Man.

“Really, what is it?” asked Eagle Eye.

“It’s a portal, a gateway if you will, found deep in the wilderness.”

“Hold up,” interrupted Ivan.” Didn’t I just finish saying the Wilderness is extremely dangerous.”

“Yes you did, but let me finish,” Said Chef Man in an annoyed tone. “The gateway is found in a cave, hidden from the revenants and everyone else. I have heard stories that say that this gateway leads to a world filled with magic and riches.”

“Really? What’s the catch?” asked Eagle Eye.

Chef Man sighed and said. “The gateway was closed off years ago.”

“That’s not a problem” Said Vodos

“It’s not?” asked Chef Man.

“I can get it opened no problem.” Said Vodos.
“How?”

“I figure portals are similar to teleother spells, so I think giving it a charge with law and soul rune energy might just open up the gateway long enough to get us through.” Vodos explained.

“You sure about this?” asked Chef Man.

Vodos paused for a minute to think then said “Yes”

“Then it is agreed then?” asked Ivan

Both Chef Man and Eagle Eye Said “yes”

“But we need a plan before we just head right into the wilderness.” Said Eagle Eye

“Where exactly is this portal Chef?” asked Vodos.

“Can I see one of your maps please?” he asked.

Vodos handed his map over to Chef Man and he found the spot.

“Here.” he said “Just east of the Mage Arena.”

“Perfect!” said Vodos. “I know that area pretty well plus there’s a transportation lever in East Ardougne that will take use close to that area.”
Chef Man just stared, clueless.
Vodos answered his unasked question. “A transportation lever is a lever that once pulled; will teleport you to a corresponding lever in a part of the wilderness. The lever in East Ardougne will take us to the deepest part of the wilderness and the closest to this gateway.”

“Ok now that we figured out transportation, we need to figure out what we are bringing on our little quest.” Said Eagle Eye

“Armor and weapons of course,” replied Ivan. “I’m bringing my best armor and my abyssal whip.” Ivan wore Barrows armor, some of the strongest armor in Runescape. His Abyssal whip is among the most powerful non-degradable melee weapons outside of the Daemonheim.The whip also has a strange ability that adventures call “Energy Drain.” This allows someone to absorb stamina from an opponent.

“I’m bringing pretty much what I have on.” Said Eagle Eye. He wore armor made out of Red Dragonhide perfect for a bowman. He also carried his Dark Bow, often considered to be the strongest bow in Runescape. The Dark bow is a magical bow capable of infusing two arrows with magical energy that home in and penetrates a target in its most vital areas.

Vodos chimed in and said “I’m bringing my Battle robes, and my Guthix god staff. And a rune pickaxe, just in case, and my dwarf multi cannon.”
The god staffs enable a person to perform god spells, some of the most powerful spells. A Guthix staff allowed a person to cast “The Claws of Guthix.” This spell once casted, creates a powerful claw of pure energy that will crush an opponent and weakens their armor, being natural or metal, perfect for any opponent. Finally the Dwarf Multi Cannon is a powerful artillery weapon capable of taking on large hordes of enemies by using its 360 degrees rotating barrel.

“Wait, why bring you cannon,” asked Ivan “I thought it only targets anything non-human. In the wilderness if we’re attacked by another adventure the cannon won’t do anything.

“True but the cannon will attack any revenants in its range; also we don’t know what’s on the other side of the portal. We could get ambushed for all we know.” Explained Vodos.

“What about moving all four pieces?” again Asked Ivan “Together they weigh hundreds of pounds.

“I’ve figured that out pretty quickly after I bought it, don’t worry.”

“Hang on, what about Chef Man?” asked Eagle Eye. He really doesn’t have any real combat skills.”
Eagle Eye did have a point. Other than intervening in a few drunken brawls, and a close encounter with a revenant imp, Chef Man didn’t have any real combat experience.

“I’ll bring some of my healing potions, some anti-poisons and some combat potions. I’ll make sure all three of you can keep fighting.”

“Do have any armor you could use?” asked Vodos.

“I some steel armor in the back I can wear.”

“What about weapons?” asked Ivan.

“I have a Mithril scimitar.”
Ivan sighed and said “Are we sure we want to bring along Chef Man? We are going into the deepest part of the wilderness and anything there can kill him in seconds.”

“True but I need this money as much as you three do; besides I’m the only one who knows how to get passed the door,” said Chef with a grin

“Door? What door?” asked Ivan.

“Remember when I said that it is hidden from everyone and everything, that door is what makes that possible, and I’m the only one with the key.”
Chef Man reached into his pocket and held out an old brass key.

“The only way you’re getting this key is if I tag along.” he said

“Well I guess he’s coming along with us Ivan.” Said Vodos.

“Hang on, where did you get that key?” demanded Ivan.

“My great great grandfather was the adventure who discovered the portal and the door. He gave his son this key and so on till it got to me.” He explained

“Fine but remember, I gave you plenty of warning before hand.” Ivan said.

“O.k. now do we have everything planned out now?” asked Eagle Eye.

“Not yet.” Said Vodos “Can anyone teleport to East Ardougne by themselves? Or am I the only one.”
The group just looked at him and shook their heads.
Vodos sighed, reached into his coin pouch and began to pass out coin saying.

“Go to the Exchange and buy an East Ardougne teleport. When you buy one just take the pouch and smash it on the ground right under you, it will send you to East Ardougne square. That’s where we will meet.”

“Thanks for the coin but I think we should get some sleep before we go on our little quest.”
Chef Man did have a point it was getting late.

“So we have everything planned out right?” asked Vodos

“Pretty much.” Replied Ivan.
Suddenly Vodos stood out of his chair and said “Alright then, but before we head to our respectable homes, a toast, to a brighter future filled with riches”

“Hear hear.” Replied Eagle Eye

“To a brighter future indeed,” said a smiling Chef Man

“To filling our pockets with gold, silver, and anything worth its weight in gold on the Exchange” Ivan replied
Then they clanked their glasses together, guzzled down the last of their drinks and departed for the day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Where in all of Runescape is that wizard?” asked Ivan
It’s been little over an hour after Chef Man, Eagle Eye, and Ivan arrived in East Ardougne square with no sign of Vodos.

“I don’t know, maybe he’s working on that cannon of his.” Replied Eagle Eye.

“Maybe, he does take better care of that thing than himself.” Ivan joked
The group laughed at Ivan’s joke when the familiar sound of a teleportation spell sounded from behind them, there in his battle robes stood Vodos carrying all four pieces of his Dwarf Multi Cannon on his back.

“Sorry I’m… late,” Vodos gowned, gasping between each few words. “I had… to make…cannon balls…and…buy runes.”

“By the gods how are you carrying all that weight?” demanded Ivan

“One …minute please.” Vodos said panting. He quickly took a bottle and drank some of the liquid inside. After doing so he quickly regained all his strength and some more.

“Wow! Chef your potions have a real good kick.” He exclaimed placing the bottle back into his pouch.

“Well I try.” replied Chef Man

“What is that?” asked Eagle Eye.

“Extreme strength, perfect for hauling heavy loads. I bought a couple them from Chef a couple of weeks ago.”

“How long does the effect last?” Asked Ivan

“About an hour between each dose.” Chef Man answered

“Ok now we are all together let’s start heading out.” Ivan demanded

“All right then let move, follow me I know where the lever is” Vodos said leading the group.

“So where’s the lever Vodos?” asked Chef Man.

“Along the wall of West Ardougne.” Vodos replied.

“We’re not going to get sick being that close to the plague in West Ardougne?” asked Eagle Eye a little concerned.

“Only if someone got passed the Mourners, climbed the thirty foot wall, and coughed on you. Then yes, you would.” Vodos replied

“Plague?” asked Chef Man

“You haven’t heard of it?” asked Vodos.

“No I haven’t.” Chef replied

“Well, when the King's’ men came back from duty, they accidentally brought with them the Plague. They took half of the city and quarantined it, West Ardougne.” Vodos explained.

They were just passing the East Ardougne bank when Vodos stopped the group.

“If anyone needs anything from the bank get it now, because we are not stopping by the Mage Arena bank. I think it would best to head straight to the portal.”

“Oh that reminds me.” Ivan Said. “I forgot to bring some money.”

“Well get it now Ivan.” Said Vodos.

“Why would he need money if we are going through the wilderness?” asked Chef Man.

“It doesn’t hurt to bring along a little coin. It’s just in case we run into traders along the way, or even on the other side of the portal.” explained Vodos

“I see. Do you bring a lot of coin?” asked Chef Man.

“No, just around a couple hundred to 1K, that’s all.” Said Vodos

Ivan came walking out of the bank with a grin on his face.

“What’s with the smile Ivan?” Asked Eagle Eye

“Some people bought some of my unicorn horns. Made 5 and a half K,” Ivan said still grinning ear to ear.

“Maybe it a sign saying our luck is turning around.” Said Chef Man

“Let’s hope so.” Eagle Eye said

They kept walking through East Ardougne until they came up to the thirty foot wall of West Ardougne. The top of the wall was covered with long spears pointed inwards and out, keeping anyone from getting in or out. In the center of the wall stood two guard towers in front of the large door into the city. In each of the towers, five gas masked Mourners kept watch.

“HEY! This area has been quarantined get back now!” yelled one of the five Mourners.

“Sorry didn’t mean to get to close to your big door.” Ivan yelled back
Vodos leaned to Chef and said. “Those guys are the death guard of West Ardougne, otherwise known as The Mourners. They’re called that because they are the only ones who take care of the departed. Those masks they wear keep them from catching the Plague.”
Vodos then turned his attention from Chef to Ivan. “Ivan!” he cried “Forget them, the lever is just over there!” he pointed at a small work shed a couple of feet away from him. “Let’s go!”
Ivan stopped his little chat with the Mourners and ran over with one of Mourners still glaring at him through his masks.
Vodos lead them to the shed and pointed out the large red lever.

“Ok this is the transportation lever, very easy to use, just simply pull down and it will send you on your way. Ivan, teleport over, We need to make sure it is safe on the other side. Got it?”

“Got it” Ivan replied. Then he walked over to the lever and pulled. A column of energy grabbed him and pulled him up, and vanished. Seconds later another column came down and dropped Ivan back in the same spot.

“It’s clear no revenants or anyone, just lifeless and as usual.”

“Ok now head back, then it will be your turn Eagle Eye.” said Vodos.

“Ok,” replied Eagle Eye
Ivan then pulled the lever and vanished, then Eagle took his turn and did the same. Vodos then turned to an anxious looking Chef Man.

“All right now it’s your turn Chef.”

“All right.” he said as he approached the lever. “Just grab and pull?”

“Just grab and pull.”
Chef Man pulled the lever and vanished as he was grabbed by the column of energy.

“Well I guess now it’s my turn.” Vodos said and walked to the lever. He pulled out one of the strength potions and took a sip, slammed down the lever, and was hoisted away.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vodos touched down and right away noticed a man in full rune armor on the ash colored ground, next to Ivan’s feet.

“What happened?” Vodos demanded

“He was hiding in the ruins, behind the lever. He attacked me when I came back. When Eagle Eye teleported, it distracted him long enough for my whip to make short work of him.
Vodos hesitated and asked” Is he…dead?”

“No, unconscious” Ivan replied “I used my whips’ Energy drain to knock him out.”

“I see” Vodos said and got closer to inspect the bandit.

“How long will he be out?” asked Eagle Eye.

“About an hour or two, it all depends on the type of man you are.” Said Ivan

Vodos finished his inspection and said “hey Chef Man, looks like today’s your lucky day my friend.”

“Why?” asked Chef Man.

Vodos tossed a light blue rune helmet to Chef Man. He looked at the rune helm closely then looked at Vodos with a large grin on his face. He quickly changed from his old steel armor to much stronger rune armor.

“hey, don’t forget this.” Ivan said, tossing the bandit’s rune dagger still in its sheath.

Chef Man caught the dagger and unsheathed it; to his surprised the dagger was soaked with a green liquid.

“What’s that Chef?” Asked Eagle Eye
Chef Man inspected the dagger more closely. “Poison.” He said. He looked at it more closely and began to smell it. “Extra strength, P++.”

“Looks like this bandit came prepared.” Said Vodos. “hey Ivan, check his bag, see if he has any more of that extra strength poison.”
Ivan bent down and began to search. “Here’s some.” he said holding a half empty bottle.

“Give it hear Ivan,” Vodos said holding out his hand.
Ivan gave him the vile and Vodos pulled out a small red dagger. He uncorked the bottle and dipped the dagger in the green solution.

“That’s a dragon dagger!” exclaimed Eagle Eye. “Where did you get that?”
Vodos looked up and said “Won it last week at a drop party, in Falador.”
Ivan interrupted them and said. “That’s nice Vodos, but we need to get moving. We are in the most dangerous part of the Wilderness.”
Vodos looked at Ivan “You're right Ivan, we should. Chef Man, you know where the gateway is, so you lead we’ll follow.”
Chef Man quickly pulled out his map and pointed east. “This way, shouldn’t take too long if we move quickly.”

“You still have the key right?” asked Ivan.

“What key?” said Chef a little confused

“The key to the door to the hidden cave!” Ivan said about to explode.

“Oh that key. I made it up so you would have a better reason to let me come along. That old brass key is the key to my cellar,” Chef Man said laughing.
Vodos and Eagle Eye laughed at the trick that Chef Man used on Ivan. Ivan on the other hand was not too happy but held back some of his anger.

“Well you’re here now, so lead on,” Ivan grunted
They began traverse the black terrine of the wilderness, watchful of every little thing. A faint light, slight movement or even the softest of noises, could spell death this deep in the wilderness. Chef Man continued to lead them until they arrived to what appeared to be nothing.

“Here we are.” he said.

“Ok so where is the cave hidden?” Asked Ivan

“Here” He said and pointed straight down.

“It’s buried!” blurted out Eagle Eye.

“Ah, that’s where a trick comes into play. Vodos can I borrow your rune pickaxe?”

“Sure.” Vodos said, and he opened his tool kit and handed Chef Man his pickaxe.
Chef Man grabbed it “Thank you.” he said. Chef then took the pickaxe and drew an X on the ground then raised the rune tool above his head and drove the pointed end deep into the ground. He then took several steps back and told the others to do the same. The group stood there, staring and the pickaxe waiting for something to happen. To their surprise the pickaxe began to sink. The ground suddenly sunk forming a large pit. Chef Man held out his arms and said “There we are one cave.” The group walked over to the pit and looked down. The hole seemed to be around five to seven feet deep, and on the wall of the pit, there it was, the mouth of the cave.

“All right, we should probably get started now, before this hole and becomes a little too curious.” Vodos said starting to make his way down.

“He’s right, here let me help.” Ivan said. Then he jumped down and supported Vodos’s Multicannon backpack.
Eagle Eye and Chef Man followed, jumping into the hole and making their way to the mouth of the cave. Vodos stayed back to dig up his pickaxe.

“Hey Chef! Where did you learn about this place?” Vodos said, picking up his pickaxe.

“And how did you know about the sinkhole?” Asked Ivan

“Well remember when I said my great great grandfather was adventure? That was the truth in the lie I told Ivan. He discovered this place hundreds of years ago before the portal closed, the same way we just did. I was just as surprised as you when the pickaxe trick worked for us. Now instead of a key being passed down, it was the stories he told, but after being passed down for so long and so many times, things can get a little murky. I don’t know what on the other side of the portal, but according to what’s left of the story it a magical world.”

“Filled with riches, right?” Asked Ivan

“Yes, filled with riches.”

“Do you know why the portal closed Chef?” asked Eagle Eye.

“I think it had to do with God wars. When the combat was about to go into full swing, my great great grandfather went to the portal only to see the ground swallow it back up.”

“Hey wait up!” called Vodos, running into the cave.

“No lollygagging Vodos.” said Chef Man.
It didn’t take them too long to reach the end of the cave and to find what they been searching for. On far end of the cave, along the wall were two pillars bending toward each other forming an incomplete archway.

“There it is.” Chef Man said with a large smile.

“Finally! Now I can take this off,” Vodos said undoing the straps to the Multi Cannon. The four pieces of the cannon crashed to the floor, creating loud metallic echoes throughout the cave.

“Vodos! Do want to announce we’re in here!” Ivan asked

“You think that was loud, you haven’t heard anything yet.” said Vodos.

“Do you need any help putting it together?” Asked Eagle Eye

“Nah. I got it” Vodos said.

He walked to the disassembled cannon, held out his hands and began to go to work. Large rings began to form along the cannon base. The base rose as if it was weightless and was placed in the middle of the room. Next the stand was grabbed by the rings and was put into place on top of the base, locking the two pieces together. More rings formed around the barrel as it was lifted onto the cannon stand. The last piece, the furnace was positioned on top of the barrel. The furnace was the heart the metal monster, giving it life and power. Finally Vodos walked up to the cannon and loaded thirty cannon balls into the cannon, flipped a switch and the cannon came to life. The barrel began to rotate three hundred and sixty degrees, covering the entire cave.

“There we are.” Vodos said with a hint of pride.

“So this thing will attack anything that enters the cave?” Asked Chef

“If it isn’t human or dwarf it will destroy it.” replied Vodos.
Suddenly there was a deafening explosion as the Multi cannon opened fired.

“What happened!” demanded Ivan.
On the far side of the cave, the entrance was covered with the shattered remains of a creature that had entered the cave.

Vodos laughed and said “Looks like a one of those giant scorpions walked in and my cannon didn’t like it too much.”

“That was way too loud. Anyone within a mile from here could have heard that.” Said Ivan

“If that’s the case then we should get started by opening the portal, Vodos work more of your magic.” Said Chef Man

“All right let’s get started” Vodos said walking to the dead portal

“Now, you sure this will work Vodos?” Asked Eagle Eye

“Let’s hope this works; this is a first for me.” he said “Wait! Before I get started I need to tell you three something. When I start charging this thing I can't stop until the portal is open and stable. If I stop the portal will close and I won’t have enough runes to start all over again, plus I will be completely vulnerable to attack so keep anything off me until I’m done. Got it?”

“Got it.” Said Eagle Eye

“We got your back” Ivan said
Vodos turned to Chef and said “Chef, you’re in charge of re-loading the cannon when it’s out of cannon balls.

“How will I know when it’s out?” Chef asked.

“The barrel stops rotating when out, so keep an eye on it when fighting or supplying potions.”

“And how do I reload the cannon?” Asked Chef
Vodos sighed. “Come over here and I’ll show you.”
Vodos began to go over the steps of the reloading procedure. “First you need to open up the breech.”

“The what?” asked Chef Man.

“People we need to speed this up!” said Ivan
Vodos, sensing the urgency in his voice began to talk a little faster “The door on the backside of the cannon, see” he opened up the door so Chef Man could see. “Then try to load thirty cannon balls. You can load a smaller amount to get it firing again sooner. When you have it loaded close the breach and flip this switch.” He pointed to a small red switch, located on the furnace. “Did you get all that?”

“yeah, I thi-”

Vodos cut him off “Good! Now let’s get started.”

Vodos hustled back to the lifeless portal, held out his hands, and closed his eyes. Slowly his hands began to glow, very faintly at first but they began to glow even brighter. Soon the light began to burn as bright as dragon’s fire. Suddenly two large beams of pure law and soul rune energy erupted from his hands. Each beam struck the archway in the middle.

“How do we know its working?” Ivan shouted over the noise of the spell.

“If wasn’t working it would've exploded by now!” Vodos shouted back

“How long until it opens?” shouted Eagle Eye.

“Can’t say; like I said before, this is a first for me. Now no more questions I need complete focus.” Vodos shouted back.
The archway began to glow as it absorbed the rune energy, but as it did, things took a turn for the worse.

Ivan drew his whip and shield and shouted “Heads up something coming!”
On the far side of the cave something began to rise up from the ground. First what appeared to be a long translucent horn was the first above the ground. Next the head, with blood red eyes that burned; not with hatred or rage, but with purpose. It continued to rise until its entire body was floating just a foot from the ground. It opened its large wings, making itself as large as possible. Its body had a shape of a unicorn but with wings of an unknown bird. The creature glared at the four adventures and its horn began to glow.

“REVENANT! Everybody get behind something!” Ivan shouted bringing up his shield, ready to take the full force of the revenant’s spell. The revenant pointed its glowing horn at Ivan, but before it could cast its spell, two large thunderous explosions erupted as the multi cannon fired two shots at the revenant. The two rounds hit the revenant exploding on impact, creating a large cloud of smoke.

“Why did my cannon go off?” shouted Vodos

“One big nasty revenant!” shouted Ivan.

“What kind?” asked Vodos, trying to keep control of his spell.

“It looks like a winged unicorn!” Ivan shouted back.

“Never heard of that! Chef, get on the cannon, keep it firing”

“On it!” Chef yelled running to the rotating metal monster.
Without warning there was a high pitched pulsing ring sound as the revenant from behind the cloud of smoke casted its spell. The spell took the shape of a burning skull and was heading for Ivan. Ivan turned and braced himself, trying to bring up his shield, but was too late as he took the full force of the revenant spell, knocking him off his feet and landing next to the multi cannon.

“Ivan you alright?” asked Chef Man.

“Yeah, I’m fine” he grunted, while trying to stand, but was knocked down as the cannon fired two more rounds at the revenant, one which had missed.

“Drink this.” Chef said uncorking a bottle of a yellow liquid.

Ivan grabbed the bottle and gulped down two doses of the potion. A second later he was on his feet charging toward the revenant, whip at the ready. He lashed his whip at the revenant, its barbed end digging deep into the revenant’s “skin.” As he pulled back for another attack he was almost impaled by two steel arrows. Ivan turned around to see Eagle Eye hiding behind a cluster of stalagmites taking aim for another shot. Ivan dove to the ground as two more arrows; this time infused with magic from the Dark bow flew past and into the revenant, mainly where the heart and lungs would be. The revenant turned toward Eagle Eye eyes burning, horn glowing and fired a short fast moving spear at him. Eagle Eye tried to duck but the spear struck him in his shoulder. The magic from the spell locked his muscles in place, causing him to topple to the ground like a statue. The revenant’s horn began to glow again ready to finish off an incapacitated Eagle Eye, when it was struck by two more cannon rounds. The revenant turned to face where the cannon rounds were coming from and stared directly at Chef Man. Its mouth opened and shook the cave with a deafening scream. Its horn began to glow when suddenly Ivan taking advantage of the distraction took his whip and grabbed hold of its neck and began to drain the revenant of its strength.

“Chef! Go help Eagle Eye” Ivan shouted

Chef nodded and ran toward the cluster of stalagmites where Eagle Eye was. Ivan still holding on to the revenant looked to see where the multi cannon was on its rotation. To his horror he found himself staring down the barrel of the multi cannon. He quickly pulled his whip off the revenant and tried to dive away but was caught in the explosion of the two cannon rounds. His barrows armor absorbed most of the shock wave and shrapnel but was still knocked across the cave onto his back. When he looked up he saw that the revenant was standing over him, its horn pointed at him like an executioner's’ blade. As it pulled back to deal the killing blow, the revenant suddenly jerked back in pain and began to buck madly. To Ivan’s surprise Chef Man was on the back of the revenant with his rune dagger plunged deep into the revenant’s back.

“Thanks for the help! But what about Eagle Eye?” shouted Ivan.

Chef Man tried to talk but was interrupted by each buck. “He’s…fine…it was… a…glancing...blow!”

“Chef get off that thing the cannon is about to fire again!” Ivan pointed to the multi cannon, but when he looked over to the cannon it had stopped rotating.

Ivan turned to Vodos and shouted “something’s wrong with the cannon! That wasn’t nearly thirty shots!”

“Jammed, or stuck!” Vodos shouted back, strain in his voice.

“How do we fix it?” Asked Ivan, but received no answer for the stress the Vodos was putting himself through was tremendous.
Ivan grunted and raced over to the cannon and found a panel on the base. He quickly opened it only to see complex clockwork of gears. Ivan quickly looked all around to find anything that looked out of place. Each gear, bolt, screw looked fine, everything looked like it was where it was supposed to be. Becoming angry he slammed the panel and bashed the side of the cannon with his shield. Surprisingly the cannon responded to the shield beating and fired two more rounds at the revenant. Horrified, thinking he just shot Chef, he ran toward the cloud of smoke to help his friend. Ivan searched the cloud aware that the revenant will come two in only a short time. Ivan kept looking only to be violently kicked to the other end of the cave. Ivan came to a second later to find himself next to Chef Man.

“Where did you come from?” He Asked a little delirious from the kick.

“Same way you did.” replied Chef.

The cave shook again as the revenant screamed its undead scream. The revenant stared at them and once again its horn began to glow. On the other side of the cave two large stalagmites also began to glow. They broke off from the ground and hovered a couple feet off the ground.

“That’s new.” Ivan said, trying to lift his shield.

The revenant looked right at them as if it was staring at two insects and spoke “TIME TO END THIS!” Its voice filled with anger boomed throughout the cave.

“Did that thing just talk?” asked Ivan in shock. Revenant were not known for saying anything, this was a first.

The hovering stalagmites rotated, their tips pointed toward Ivan and Chef, and rapidly gained speed. The stalagmites flew faster than any arrow, and were headed right for them. All of a sudden, an unexpected burst of light, thunder and lightning erupted in the cave. What appeared to be a bolt of lightning struck the revenant. Disoriented by the lightning strike, the revenant lost control of the stalagmites. The stalagmites tumbled through the air and hit the ground just a few feet from Ivan and Chef. The revenant quickly turned around to face the source of the lightning. The two pillars that made up the archway of the portal were glowing brighter and stronger now, and in the middle of the two pillars was a small pulsing disc, the portal finally began to open. The revenant eyes began to burn more intensely at the sight of the portal.

“IMPOSSIBLE!” It shouted, and this time lowered its horn and began to charge toward Vodos. But before it came halfway, the multi cannon fired two shots at the revenant, stopping it. The revenant came to and began to charge again when this time it was stopped by something else, blindness. Eagle Eye, fully recovered from the revenant’s spell had fired two arrows in its eyes. The revenant looked at Eagle Eye and the two arrows caught fire and disintegrated. Its eyes quickly reformed and began to glow red again. It pointed it glowing horn at him but was stopped when it felt the teeth of Ivan’s whip around its neck. Eagle Eye looked over to see both Ivan and Chef griping the whip; he ran over and grabbed the whip to help. They began playing a deadly game of tug-a-war with the revenant.

“Thanks for the help!” Eagle Eye shouted.

“No problem!” Ivan shouted back.

“We need to keep this thing away from Vodos, he’s almost done!” Eagle Eye shouted. The revenant dug its hooves into the dirt and began to move forward. The three adventures did the same and dug deep to try to slow it down. The multi cannon finished another rotation and fired off two more rounds. The portal was growing faster now; every second passed the revenant became more and more desperate. The revenant took two steps and was shot at by the multi cannon and was pulled back. The deadly game raged on. Two steps forward and two steps pulled back. The multi cannon fired until it locked in place, exhausted of all its cannon balls. Now the revenant began to move forward again. All at once four large green vines of magical energy shot up from the ground and grabbed the revenant. The entangled revenant snarled, hissed and made all matter of noises. The three adventures looked to see Vodos with his Guthix Staff pointed at the revenant.

“We only have fifteen seconds before the spell wears off. Everyone into the portal now!”

Ivan, Eagle Eye, and Chef Man didn’t hesitate and began to run to the portal, Vodos however ran toward his multi cannon, hands out casting the telegrab spell he used to assemble it.

“Vodos hurry up!” Ivan shouted

“I still have ten seconds left, I’ll meet you there.” Vodos shouted back.
Ivan sighed and ran toward the portal and dove in alongside with Chef and Eagle Eye. Vodos ran to his cannon and held out a hand, each piece of the cannon began to rise and one by one flew into the portal. With his cannon safely on the other side, Vodos made a mad sprint toward the portal, but his ten seconds were up. The revenant broke free of his entanglement spell and charged at him with its horn drawn like a spear. Vodos looked over and saw the threat and quickly pointed his Guthix Staff at the revenant. His staff glowed as he summoned the power of the god Guthix. A large claw of pure energy shot up from the ground and grabbed the revenant. The revenant screamed as the claws dug deep into its ghostly body lowering its ability to defend itself. Vodos turned around and continued his sprint to the portal. The revenant quickly recovered and fired the same magical spear it used against Eagle Eye in hope of stopping him, but it was too late. Vodos had reached the portal and dove through, into the unknown world that awaits them.