• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 1,702 Views, 42 Comments

Snuggle Me, for I am Not a Wraith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and my grandma is Clover the Clever.

  • ...
5
 42
 1,702

Night Terrors

The gray mare shook as she stayed behind the boulder. The air was colder than even the worst Winter night that she had experienced. This was not a natural cold, but the cold of death. She took a shaking breath in, before a cloud of ice escaped her mouth. Ghastly Aura had come to this town in order to see the spirit, but she hadn't expected this. Nopony could have expected this.

It was a wraith. A spirit of darkness and cold. So little was known of them, expect that they were unicorns reborn, and led to death and destruction, no matter where they went. If you were grabbed by one, your soul was soon to be lost, sucked within their bottomless essence. She had tried to fight it, tried to do more than hide, but she was barely an adult, and by no means the prodigy her mother, Clover the Clever was. Ghastly shut her eyes, trying to ignore the image of the village elder as her magic did nothing to stop his body from being ripped asunder.

The cracking of the rock she was against made her eyes open wide. She could feel every beat of her heart as cold came closer and closer. Any moment now, and the creature would be here. She would die, and no one would survive this night. She looked up as a hiss came from there, and paled, looking into bright, green eyes.

======+++++======

"Aaaah!" Ghastly was awake, in her bed, her eyes as wide as the moon in the sky. Her body was shaking, and her stomach throbbed in pain, her filly getting far too excited by her quakes. Strong hooves soon came around her, and she was pulled against a firm chest that she could nuzzle into. The familiar, dark blue stallion nuzzled her back, her beloved Night Watch keeping her close.

"It's just a dream honey, just a dream. He can't hurt you here."

Ghastly felt a set of tears run down her face as her body continued to shake. She then felt herself being pulled up, and a gentle peck came against the top of her head. A glance up allowed the familiar muzzle press itself against her lips now, and she felt her heart begin to calm down. She was home, she was safe.

Night Watch rubbed his mare's bloated stomach, a nervous smile on his face. "How is she?"

Ghastly blinked a few times, before another kick caused her to wince, and she let out a small chuckle. "Scolding me for getting freaked out, just like always."

Night slipped out of bed, yawning as he stretched out. "I'll go get you a glass of water, okay? You just stay there and rest."

She blushed a little bit, before snuggling back into her blankets. She had been lucky to find Night Watch in that town that night. He had helped her in her recovery aftee the image of death itself, looming over her, wanting her soul, had left her almost broken. She couldn't go anywhere without constantly looking over her shoulder. A chill had stayed within her, and only left about a year ago.

That was her wedding day, right out on the lawn of her home. It was a quaint little cabin, meant only for her and Nigh. Only Clover, her mother, knew where it was, or that they were still alive probably. That's what you get when you're a studious recluse who is obsessed with ghosts she supposed.

The image of the dead pony, looking down with utter hatred flashed into her mind, and she barely kept her heart rate down. She was still so vulnerable to the very thing she was talented in and she hated it. It hurt to be denied one’s talent, but she was getting stronger; she could feel it. One of her hooves placed itself on her stomach. Maybe once I've witnessed life, I can start examining death again.

The sound of the door opening caused her to look through her pink hair, and she smiled at Night as he came in with a bucket in his mouth. He put it beside her, before nuzzling into her stomach. "Are you excited? Any day now, and our little filly will be here."

Ghastly nodded quickly, her tail trying to swish underneath her. "You know that I am looking forward to nothing more than this little filly. I want to finally add something to this world, and others lives, instead of always staying far away and doing nothing."

Night slipped into bed beside her, kissing her on the cheek before letting out a yawn. "You've done plenty, Gaga, and no one could blame you for the time you took off."

A blush came over her face as she leaned back. She was ready to get back to sleep, but another kick brought one more question. "Do you think I'll be a good mother?"

Night's hooves wrapped around his wife, and the two met eyes for a moment. "I know you'll be one of the best, promise. Our filly will be known by all of Equestria as something nopony has ever seen before."

She grinned back, before yawning. "A lofty goal, but I like it. Night."

"Yes?"

"Sleep well, idiot."

"You too honey."