• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 2,278 Views, 44 Comments

Twist Ending - Rrazz



An aurthor finds himself trapped inside his own MLP fanfic, and he just wrote he dies at the end!

  • ...
2
 44
 2,278

Long Road to Nowhere

Twist Ending

Chapter Eight: Long Road to Nowhere
____________________________________________________
"What exactly were they doing here?" Rarity asked as she glanced about the chamber, her eyes finally settling on a series of intricate runes that crisscrossed along the floor where Stargazer had been standing. Each seemed to lead into another, and glowed with an unnatural green light that sent a chill through my body.

I frowned slightly as I approached the edge of the markings. How hadn't I noticed those before? I guess I was just too focused on the two ponies to really pay attention, but you'd think glowing green runes like those would catch my eye…

Halting, I studied the runes for a moment, blinking several times as they seemed to skitter and move, always shifting out of focus no matter how hard I stared at them. It also didn't help that my eyes began to ache as I tried to keep them in focus, a dull throbbing in the back of my skull started to flare up and grow worse with each passing second.

"A ritual of some kind," I responded, tearing my gaze away from the markings and blinking the afterimages out of my vision. "They were draining the, magic out of your friend and using it for some kind of…spell."

"But, why, to what end?" The unicorn continued, recoiling a step as though the runes threatened to bite her. With her being a unicorn too, maybe it had.

"I heard them say something about, summoning an army for their master. They needed a lot of magic for it to work and believed Twilight was capable of providing it. I'm assuming she refused to help and…well…" I trailed off, one look at the injured mare was more then enough evidence as to what had resulted from her defiance.

"And you just stood there and let them do that to her?" Rainbow Dash suddenly cut in, and before I could act she suddenly dominated my vision, eyes boring into my own as her wings brought her up to my level.

I swiftly jumped back a step, my eyes widening a touch in surprise, before narrowing in annoyance. She was still blaming me for this, really? "What do you think I was doing when I got my ribs bashed in by that big guy?" I responded through clenched teeth. "I tried, I failed. Don't try and pin this on me!"

"This is way to convenient, you showing up the same day they grab Twilight. I know you've got something to do with this."

I moved to respond, but hesitated, a frown forming as her words sunk in. In a fashion, I DID have something to do with this…she wasn't wrong. But I wasn't exactly keen to admit that, not that it mattered as I noted a pleased grin starting to fix itself onto the pegasus' face. My expression darkened.

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth, likely to continue berating me, thankfully Applejack cut in before our disagreement could escalate. "If you two aren't to busy arguin', Twi isn't getting any better!" She snapped, drawing our attention away from each other and back to the situation at hand.

Apparently while we'd been distracted, they'd placed Twilight securely on Applejack's back. "We need ta go, now. Otherwise it won't matter whether we interrupted their spell or not." She continued before either of us could respond.

Rainbow Dash threw another glare my way, before backing down and landing back onto her hooves. "We'll finish this later." She said firmly, eyes boring into my own, even though she was once again back down to waist height; I was still no less intimidated by the cyan pegasus.

After a moment she pushed past me and set off for the stairs, the other ponies following suit. I simply fell into step behind them, glad to finally be putting the castle behind me. It was nice to visit, but I really didn't want to overstay my welcome. "I look forward to it…" I mumbled under my breath, before sighing heavily. I really didn't fancy another run in with her, but I knew her well enough to know she wasn't going to let this go easily, especially with a friend in danger.

Thankfully the rest of the castle was free of surprises. Rainbow Dash stayed at the head of the group with Applejack, and I stayed at the back, keeping well away from her. It was a quick trip down the stairs and back to the main entrance. From there it was back out into the rain (much to my dismay, my clothes were soaked through twice over now!) and back across that damned bridge.

Plunging back into the forest, I almost walked head first into a tree right off the bat, only just managing to duck under it in time. "Do we really have to go through here?" I asked, squinting as the darkness abruptly closed in around me, plunging me into an almost blind state for a few moments before my eyes began to adjust. "I can barely see a hand in front of my face."

"Sadly it's either through the forest or around it…and that would take weeks by hoof." Rarity responded, throwing a glance over her shoulder and giving me a sympathetic look, before resuming her march, with a sigh, I fell into step behind them.

As the darkness began to recede (if only by a little) I began to take in the sights around us. Much like my original trip, we were surrounded on all sides by huge, ancient trees. Their bark was pale gray, withered and cracked. Long thin branches, devoid of leaves bent downwards towards us, giving the appearance of gnarled fingers grouping for us, trying to snatch us from the ground.

Despite the storm raging overhead, only a gentle breeze swept through the thick tree line. The quiet whispering this caused as it circled around us made the hair on the back on my neck stand on end. Maybe it was just paranoia, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy as what seemed to be a voice hissed in my ear, especially surrounded by darkness and foreboding trees.

My eyes jumped about uneasily as we continued onwards through the forest, searching the shadows for anything out of place, though thankfully, I saw nothing. Not even that mysterious pony that had led me to the castle was in sight.

No sooner had the thought of the mystery pony entered my mind, but a dull snap drew my gaze to the left. Glancing through a small gap between the trees, I felt my heart skip a beat as that same shadow caught my eye, just standing there and staring blankly at me. As with my first encounter though, they were veiled by the darkened forest and I couldn't make out any noteworthy details. Save for the fact that it was pony shaped; the shadow was too well hidden to really make out features. I squinted, trying to focus on the shadow as best as I could, though if anything it seemed to grow even less distinct and harder to focus on the harder I tried to make it out.

I felt a sudden, itch in the back of my skull, an uncomfortable feeling which rapidly spread to my eyes. I blinked; trying to shake off the sensation, though it only seemed to be growing wore.

"What ya looking at?" A voice suddenly asked, jolting me from my attempt to focus on the shadow, the second I glanced away to focus on the voice, I noted the sensation in my head and eyes seemed to vanish instantly. I didn't pay it much mind while my attention settled on a bundle of pink standing next to me.

"That, shadow over…there." I glanced back, but found nothing but trees and foliage once again, the pony was gone. "…Could have sworn I saw a, pony watching us." I tilted my head slightly, shifting my weight from foot to foot as I peered into the darkness. Surely they couldn't have run off that swiftly, I only looked away for a second…

"Oh, are they hiding?" Pinkie Pie asked, hoping on the spot and looking around eagerly, as though they'd magically reappear. After a moment she stopped bouncing and glanced in my direction with wide eyes. "Ohh their good!" she said, grinning slightly before bouncing away to resume following her friends. I remained in place for a few moments, blinking stupidly.

"Random doesn't even cut it." I sighed, before sparing one final glance into the forest as that same sensation returned irritating me. Though again the second I gave up and looked away, it faded.

I hastened to follow the ponies, eager to put the forest, and whatever that had been, behind me…
_______________________________________________

More then once after that I noted the same shape in the trees around us, though as with before I could never seen to get a clear look at it, whenever I tried to focus on it, I found it either vanishing instantly, or my eyes seemed to ache and grow unfocused until I looked away again, whereupon it would be gone or in a different location when I managed to steal a second glance.

None of the ponies seemed to notice it however, they were too focused on the finding their way through the forest. Though as time continued to tick by, and the ache in my legs and feet began and steadily grew worse from our constant marching. I began to wonder if they even knew which direction was 'right' and if we were even going back to Ponyville, or just further into the forest.

Thankfully the forest brightened quite a bit after the first hour or so. The gray, lifeless trees giving way to thick, healthy brown bark and bright green leaves. The path became a little easier to traverse as well, with less roots and knots of grass slowing our progress. I was reminded of an old nature trail I'd been down a few times growing up, the only real difference being the lack of a wooden walkway and signs pointing you in the right direction.

What I wouldn't give for those now…

"I don't see why you dislike this place." I commented after a while longer, idly craning my neck back as I walked. Trying to see the tops of the trees and spot the source of an unfamiliar bird that had began calling. "It seems peaceful enough…well NOW it does."

"That's because were on the edge of the forest." Rarity responded, relief entering her voice as she spoke. "The border of the Everfree isn't so bad…although no less dangerous." I brightened a little at the news that we were almost out of the forest, thankfully nothing had gone wrong.

"How much further?" I asked, finding my feet moving a little faster despite the exhaustion setting in.

"Not far now I'd assume." She responded, sounding about as relieved as I felt at this point. Heck, now that I glanced around, all of the ponies seemed to have a bit of a bounce in their step at the realization that we were nearly out of this mess. Not long now and Twilight would be safe…we all would.

Sure enough, after only a few more minutes, the trees began to recede around us, the thick canopy of leaves and branches parting little by little, allowing more and more light into the forest, thankfully there was no rain to accompany it.

Finally the forest began to fade away around us, the trees giving way to grass, and finally we stepped out into the bright afternoon sunlight, blinking as the light blinded me for a few moments. The storm had indeed stopped, though their was still dark clouds looming overhead in places. Sunlight poured through the gaps, illuminating great swaths of grasslands ahead and around us. "Glad to be out of there." I said under my breath. Finally out of that forest…

The ponies were already trotting away towards a series of different coloured buildings a fair distance away. What I could only assume (and hope) was Ponyville. I soon caught up with them and trailed along behind as we approached the town.

Before we made it too far however, something compelled me to glance back over my shoulder, towards the wall of trees, a tingling in the back of my neck.

Upon glancing back, I could have sworn I saw a pony shaped shadow staring back at me, that same irritation in my head returned for the briefest of seconds, before it turned away and vanished into the forest. I blinked, noting the discomfort lingered for a few moments before fading as well.

For some reason, I was left with the sense that my path and that, creatures, would cross again before this was over…

____________________________________________

Surprisingly (or maybe not given the stormy a short while ago) Ponyville was largely dead when we first arrived. I had considered on the walk between the forest and the town that it might be easier to stay away, given the reaction I'd provoked earlier that day, or however long ago it was now, that forest had screwed up my concept of time…

However given Rainbow Dash was suspicious of me and Twilight was still in bad shape, I'd filed the thought away and decided to just take things as they came. Besides, half the town if not more had seen me earlier in the town square. Chances are every pony within the city limits had heard about me by now. So what point there in hiding anymore?

Instead I just remained at the back of the group and followed along silently as they made their way to the hospital…or vet, whatever it was ponies went to when they were sick.

The building was about what I expected, a bright white building with a large Red Cross and the words "Ponyville General Hospital' on the front. The typical sort of building that came to mind when the word hospital was uttered.

Following the ponies inside, I noted the typical reception desk across the sizeable room and a scattering of seats designed for a pony low to the ground and rather broad in size so a pony could stretch out. And of course, white walls. Save a few odd paintings or potted plants, it was just white walls, white ceiling and white floor, with a fancy red carpet. Well that was something I guess…

Applejack wasted no time rushing over to the desk, I reluctantly followed suit, the nurse, a white mare with a pink mane gave the earth pony and her injured friend a concerned glance, before her eyes flicked to me and she went an even paler shade of white, I briefly marvelled that that was even possible.

"Nurse Redheart, mah friend is hurt, she needs help right away!" Applejack demanded, her words tumbling over each other as she tried to explain the situation. I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to cause any more harm then I'd already apparently done.

"Of course, wh-what happened?" She asked, eyes constantly flicking back to me as she spoke.

"Well, uh," the orange mare glanced my way.

"Someon-pony tried to drain her magical essence, it nearly killed her." I stated simply, hoping it would be enough to get the nurse moving, we'd wasted enough time stumbling through the forest. Then again I hoped that made sense in the first place, I really didn't know how that ritual worked or even what they'd done to her, not exactly.

Thankfully that seemed to be enough, as she nodded rapidly and beckoned for Applejack to follow her. The two (and Twilight) soon vanished through a set of doors at the opposite end of the waiting room and vanished.

I sighed, my shoulders slumping slightly as I turned around and found myself facing the remaining four ponies, Pinkie Pie giving me a wide, cheerful grin, Rainbow Dash a scowl, Rarity was lightly nibbling her bottom lip and fixing me with a worried stare, and Fluttershy…was hiding behind her mane again. I was beginning to wonder if she just naturally hid like that, and if so, how did she see where she was going?

I pushed the thought aside for now, filing it away as something to ask later if I got a chance to actually talk to some of the ponies without some catastrophe popping up. "Well…now what?" I asked.
___________________________________________________

"What kinda cake do you want?" Pinkie Pie's voice cut into my thoughts, or lack thereof. It took a moment for the question to sink in, whereupon I lifted my head off the arm of the chair, lounge, whatever the ponies called the seats in the waiting room and tilted my head to face the pink pony.

"What?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow as she grinned brightly back at me.

"For your 'welcome to Ponyville' party silly!" She responded with a roll of her eyes, as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. For her, it probably was. "Normally I'd just surprise you but I don't really know what a hu-, hu-…you would like." She smiled cheerfully again, and for some reason I felt the corners of my mouth quirk upwards despite our, grim situation.

Applejack had returned a few minutes after leaving, and we were now just sitting around the waiting room hoping for news on how Twilight was doing. It had been, probably about an hour since we turned her over to the doctors and I had decided to get off my feet for ten minutes.

I had expected Rainbow Dash to take the opportunity to pounce on me again now that Twilight was safe. Thankfully though she'd kept to herself, maybe her friends had talked her down, or maybe she was just too concerned about the unicorn to pay attention to me. Either way I hardly cared, a few minutes to relax and clear my head was welcome.

"Uh…surprise me; I'm okay with just about anything." I responded, tilting my head back to its original position. "Chocolate would be preferred though." I continued, closing my eyes for a moment.

"Okie dokie lokie!" I heard her respond, followed by a rapid scratching sound, I idly cracked an eye open and watched her jotting something down on a notepad using a pencil she was clutching between her teeth.

…Where had that come from?

Oh, right, Pinkie Pie. Don't ask.

I briefly considered protesting the party, again. Given I'd told her the night before that I wasn't interested in making my presence know around town. However I quickly reminded myself that, the town pretty much knew I was here now after that little incident earlier today. It hardly mattered whether I avoided the party or not, the ponies knew by

This was not going to end well. But hey, it was going to be impossible to talk Pinkie Pie out of throwing a party, let alone continue hiding from the town. So why not just roll with it? Once Twilight was back on her feet-hooves, then it wouldn't matter, I'd be home and all this would be nothing but a memory.

For some reason, that notion didn't exactly fill with my excitement.

I shifted my position slightly, hoping to find a more comfortable spot, and closed my eyes once again. I'd been on my feet since breakfast, maybe a quick nap was in order-

The sudden creaking of the doors leading deeper into the hospital abruptly cut into my thoughts, causing me to jolt upwards, and probably tumble off the lounge and wind up falling to the floor. Shaking my head, I picked myself up, ignoring the dull throbbing in my ribs. I'd almost forgotten about my beating from earlier.

By the time I'd righted myself, all of the ponies had found their way to their hooves and were clustering together as a stallion approached us, pale gray coat, dark blue mane and tail, and a very grim expression.

Even when I shuffled into position behind the group of ponies his expression remained solemn. I could tell I was not going to like what he had to say. And the quiet exchanged glances between the ponies indicated they weren't keen to hear it either. "You're, Miss Sparkle's friends correct?" He asked, eying each pony in turn, before focusing on me, there was the briefest hint of shock in his expression, but he smoothly masked it a second later. Years of practice I'd wager.

"That's righ'…how is she doc?" Applejack asked.

The stallion focused solely on her before responding slowly. "…I'm afraid I have some, bad news…"
__________________________________________________________

Another chapter uploaded, hope you all enjoyed it! :D I can't say I did sadly. For some reason this was a PAIN to write. Maybe it was a lack of insperation or maybe its just a bad idea in the first place, I don't know, but I just could not write it and make it 'work'.

Oh well, I don't think it turned out horribly, but all the same it could have been much, much better. Hopefully it wasn't too bad, and hopefully its not too, patchwork. I did go back and add extra bits and pieces too it much later in the chapter to make things flow better, hopefully I didn't damage the story by doing so.

Anyway, hope its not too bad to read.