• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 1,228 Views, 13 Comments

The Starlit - Tzelael



Twilight is recruited by a secret organization called the Starlit to fight supernatural forces.

  • ...
5
 13
 1,228

A Warrior's Respite

A large crowd surrounded a round table at the Salt Block, unofficially designated the “Card Table.” Normally, this table would be relatively untouched, with choice ciders and salt cubes, and of course, a game of poker with piles of bits on each end. People there played for serious gain, namely those who didn’t work the Appleloosa orchard. Four stallions sat at each seat, checking their hands and the expressions on the others’ faces. In front of an orange unicorn stallion with a red mane sat a particularly massive pile of bits, the corners of his mouth convulsing every which way in a vain effort to maintain a straight face. He then shoved the pile forward, then leaned back in his chair.

“All in.”

An earth pony stallion with a tan coat, black mane and a well-tended moustache looked at his own meager pile and his hand and scoffed at his partner. “Well, you sure are sure of yourself, Pine. I’m out.” He tossed his hand face-down onto the table.

Another unicorn stallion, dark red coat and white hair smirked looking at his hand and slid his fairly sizable pile into the middle of the table. “Dunno, maybe Pine here grew some wits and learned to bluff. He’s been luckier all day than he’s been in all the days we’ve played at this table, and it’s gotta run out. All in.”

A green-coated and emerald-maned pegasus threw up his hooves, his cards scattering with them. “Yeah, I don’t feel nearly that brave or stupid. I’m out.”

The red-coated Unicorn lays out his hand. “Straight Flush.”

The Pine lay down his cards, a grin spreading wide across his face as, for once, he got to gloat. “Should have done the smart thing, Bones. Royal Flush.”

“That’s his third one today!”

“Yeah, Bones, that grin on his face? Amateur mistake.”

Bones stared at the hand and shoved over his bits, then chuckled lightly as he shoved over his money. “Yeah, that was right stupid of me, huh? Guess we have to watch out for you next time, Piney-Colt.”

Pine pulled up his saddlebag and slides the bits into it, slinging it on his back. “Thank you kindly for your donations, fellas, but now I can get that old bat off my back about the rent and have enough left over to celebrate.” He slid out past the crowd, looking back at the table. “Oh, and save me a seat. I’ll buy a round of cider for all of you poor schmucks.”

Pine left the Salt Block, savoring his victory as he walked past the saloon doors, bumping his rear end up and down and grinning at the resistance that he’s receiving from all the gold bits inside. As he walked out, the wood above him creaked. He looked up, his eyebrows furrowed, though he looked back ahead and shrugged. He nearly left the establishment when the creaking yielded the sound of wood being ripped from nails. The wood above collapsed, the support beams immediately giving way as the canopy was crushed by the sign. It sent splinters and debris flying in every direction, a loud, wet crunch ripping from beneath the wreckage. The patrons of the Salt Block gasped in shock and terror as they looked over at where the stallion was crushed, seeing the splattered blood soak into the dirt road. Bones rushed out and looked around in a panic, staring at the far end of the debris where blood was oozing out into the street.

“Sweet Celestia... Someone get the Sheriff!”

****

Twilight’s eyelids fluttered open, looking out her window at the blue sky of the afternoon. She hadn’t slept in so much before, always waking up right on time, though she didn’t feel like getting up lately, just rolling on her back and staring at the ceiling. Seeing the outside of her house just filled her with the dread of knowing what was out there, what happened out there three days ago.

She turned over to her nightstand, seeing a scroll sitting on it, a letter from the Princess. Spike must have brought it for her while she was asleep. She didn’t bother calling for her draconic assistant, utilizing the magic in her horn to unfurl the scroll, which came remarkably easily, the seal already having been broken. She unfurled it and read over the letter for a few moments, skimming over it sleepily. A letter from the princess, likely acknowledging that she received the letter. A set of knocks rapped at the library door, Twilight trudging her way toward it, not even bothering to brush her mane.

“Just a sec,” her voice barely managed to groan out loud. The sound of her hooves dragging against the wood grain creaked across the room before she got to the door. She used her magic to swing the door open, in front of her standing a grinning Pinkie Pie, almost electrified with energy.

“HI TWILIGHT! I heard you were back in town but you didn’t come see us for a while and I realized that you’re only back for a little bit from your super advanced studies and I realized that we haven’t even had a party for you, so I’m throwing a ‘Welcome Back For A Little Bit From Your Super Advanced Studies Twilight’ party!”

The quick speech of Pinkie Pie just blended together in Twilight’s mind. It seemed to be a continuous stream of her bouncy friend’s normal hyperactivity, the only word that stood out was “Party” at the end.

“I’d love to come, Pinkie, but I’m not feeling too good,” Twilight muttered, though not even attempting a cough or feeling sick.

“But... This is your party, Twilight. I mean, how can it be your party if you don’t show up?”

Twilight was caught in a corner. She couldn’t come up with a feasible excuse for not coming... Suddenly, she jerked to the side, realizing that she had been shoved out of the doorway by Spike.

“Don’t worry, Pinkie Pie! Twilight’s just a little groggy, she had a lot of catching up to do before she could officially enjoy her vacation, you know how she gets.”

“Okie dokie Loki! See you at the party, Twilight! It’ll be at Sugar Cube Corner!” The pink earth pony, satisfied with the response, began humming to herself as she hopped back to town. Twilight glowered at Spike, though didn’t have the energy to roll back on her legs, much less get angry at him. Spike, however, was far more awake than she was.

“Twilight, you’re going to that party,” he said with a combination of authority and concern.

“Since when could you give me orders, Spike...?”

“Since you’ve been locking yourself in the library and moping by yourself more than any pony ever should. You need to get out and see your friends! Even the Princess said so-” Spike then covered his mouth, realizing that he just dug his own grave.

“... Spike, did you read my mail?”

“Well, I was going to read it to you, but you were asleep way earlier than you usually were... In fact, I don’t think you even left the bed yesterday.”

“I didn’t feel like it.”

“That’s exactly the problem! You don’t feel like doing ANYTHING since you got back from... Whatever it is you got back from! And I know that whatever advanced studies these are, they aren’t the ones everypony else thinks they are!”

Twilight shot up, her pupils shrinking while her eyes widened, her breath stolen from the next word that came out of her mouth. “What?”

“Yeah, I said I read the letter, and again, you somehow missed that! I don’t know what’s going on, so I won’t pretend I do... But the Princess told you not to blame yourself for what happened, and that you need to spend time with your friends on your time off.” The violet dragon took a deep breath, evidently having expended much of it. “I’m worried, Twilight, we all are. We get the feeling that there’s something you aren’t telling us, and this letter doesn't help...”

Twilight’s stomach sunk down as the fact that Spike knew too much sunk in. ”What am I supposed to tell them...? ‘Hey everypony, I’ve been working with a secret society that hunts monsters and people who try to overthrow the Princess- Just Princess Celestia, not Luna. Oh, and on my first mission, I let a high-profile composer DIE because I screwed up!’ I can’t tell them the truth... I can’t lie to them either, though. They’re my friends...” She finally got herself onto her feet. “Spike... Start a bath for me. I’ll need to get ready for that party.”

Spike cracked a faint smile, nodding slowly at his friend. “Glad you came to your senses.” He began to walk toward the bathroom, starting the running water in the basement.

****

Twilight and Spike’s trip to Sugar Cube Corner had been mostly uneventful, the only notable event being a Pegasus’ shadow passing over her, though she didn’t get a good look at it. She lifted a hoof and tapped the door a three times. Once she did, the door swung open, a wave of confetti and streamers exploding out of the room, Pinkie Pie standing in the door with a beaming smile on her face and wearing a conical party hat.

“Twilight! I’m sooo glad you could make it!” Twilight smiled in turn, Spike walking ahead of her and looking around at the ensemble of food and decorations, including a banner across the ceiling that read “Welcome Back From Your Advanced Studies Twilight!” The violet Unicorn snickered to herself at how oddly specific the sign was. Frankly, this was hardly surprising to come from Pinkie Pie, but sometimes, thinking about it in more depth gave her the giggles.

“Glad to come, Pinkie. Looks like a great party so far...” Twilight’s eyes wandered across the room, counting the additional figures in the room. Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash were there, along with one other pony that she didn’t recognize. Standing by the punch bowl was a white-coated unicorn, the white tinged with the slightest hint of cyan, and a mane of sky-blue and teal. On her legs, she wore a silver band on the top and the bottom of her legs, pearls inlaid in each of the bands. She carried herself in an elegant, regal manner, and seemed incredibly out of place in the pink room with the streamers and pastries. The unicorn mare smiled and eyed Twilight, those blue eyes making contact with hers immediately. Twilight turned her eyes away immediately, turning over to Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie... Who’s that?”

“Oh! That’s Duchess Serebro Offuscata! I didn’t invite her though, she just showed up and, well, here she is! She said she heard about my parties from Canterlot and said she wanted to check it out!”

Twilight nodded slowly, her brow creased together. Seemed weird to her. No nobles have ever taken an interest in Ponyville before, why did they start now? ”No, don’t think like that, Twilight. That’s just paranoid... Save the paranoia for the Starlit.”

“You should totally go talk to her! She said she’s been dying to meet you, and everypony else already spoke to her!”

Twilight smiled and nodded slowly, silently inching toward the party-going noble. ”This is like seeing Princess Celestia apple-bucking at Sweet Apple Acres... What kind of noble is this?” Each of her hooves gingerly dragged her body closer to the punch bowl, the off-white coated mare smiling at her, pouring herself a glass of punch. The smile she wore on her face was one of meeting a long-expected guest, but her eyes fixed on Twilight in much the same way one of the party guests would be eying a slice of cake. Her deep voice droned out in a gentle yet firm Canterlot accent, her alabaster teeth only vaguely visible behind her lips.

“Twilight Sparkle, I’ve been looking forward to meeting you.” The Duchess inclined her head, her eyes closing as she announced “I am Duchess Serebro Offuscata. It’s an honor to meet you, Twilight Sparkle, Bearer of the Element of Magic.”

Twilight’s mouth opened into a wide grin, nodding silently at the Duchess who felt the compulsion to give the full noble introduction in the middle of one of Pinkie Pie’s parties. Her stomach wrapped itself into a twist, her mind still puzzling about at what this clearly important pony was doing in Ponyville.

“It’s certainly a pleasure to meet you, Duchess Offuscata, but... If it’s not impolite to ask, I was wondering-”

“What I’m doing in Ponyville?” Serebro held up her hoof before Twilight could speak, another of her gentle smiles and ravenous stares lining her face. “It’s quite alright. Your friends asked me already. The truth is... I like to be in the know about important ponies, and really, the upper crust of Canterlot is quite dull. So stuffy, so formal, so stagnant... Now, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, Heroes of Equestria? You are far more interesting, and besides, I’m amazed nopony’s taken an interest in you or your little town.”

A laugh crept through Twilight’s teeth, though it lacked any enthusiasm. A magenta glow surrounded her horn and one of the cups, dipping the cup into the punch and lifting it to her lips. After gulping it down in one swig, she dropped the cup on the table and finally replied, “Well, we’re certainly honored to have a member of the Noble houses with us here today.”

“The honor is all mine, Twilight Sparkle. There are strange things afoot, and it’s certainly good to know that we have heroes like you and your friends on our side.” The Duchess kept her eyes locked in on Twilight’s, never breaking contact for even a second. Twilight’s own gaze wandered for a few seconds before meeting hers, staring into her deep, blue irises. The noble bearing of this Duchess certainly came to light, her gaze commanded all of the unicorn's attention. Twilight couldn’t look away, and she wouldn’t dare try.

“Strange things like these incidents all over the Kingdom... Melodious Score being found dead, and of course, all of those freak accidents occurring over in Appleloosa... They’re even blaming the Princess for their misfortune there, if you could believe it, though one does wonder if this is truly misfortune or an orchestrated malice.”

“I should probably check it out,” Twilight blurted out as the words left her mouth long before they even formed in her head. She resisted the urge to slam her mouth shut with her hooves, though her pupils shrank back at the realization that she may have very well compromised her secrecy. Why did she just spill this out to a pony who speaks in perpetual purple prose? Twilight feared that she may have further piqued her curiosity, but rather than pry any further, the Duchess simply smiled and nodded.

“Such gallantry is to be expected from the bearers of the Elements. Perhaps you will find a solution. Now...” The noble unicorn held her hoof up and pointed to the others. “Join your friends. This is your party, after all. I’m merely a spectator.”

Twilight simply nodded slowly and smiled, slowly backing away. Largely disconcerted by the fact that her party had a spectator, and of such a high profile. She joined the crowd, trying her hardest to get the thoughts of Appleloosa’s plight out of her mind. She wanted to enjoy herself, even if it was only for a little while.

****

Stepping out of Sugar Cube Corner, it became abundantly clear that the party lasted far longer than she thought it did, the sun setting in the horizon. She and the other girls slowly dispersed, saying their goodbyes in between giggles and compliments to Pinkie Pie for a wonderful party. Twilight lost track of the noble who was stalking the party, though she stopped caring about her halfway through it. The orange light of the sunset slowly faded away, Twilight remaining still as she took in a deep breath through her nostrils with her eyes closed. Suddenly, from behind her, a familiar, rough voice called out to her in a name no one in Ponyville would have used, each of the words gravelly with exhaustion.

“Having fun, Nightfall?”

Twilight jumped in place as she not only heard the voice from behind her, but never heard the source ever moving behind her in the first place. Turning around, she saw Onyx standing behind, her messy, sky-blue hair far more frazzled than usual, tending to wisp back as though she had been flying forward for an extended period of time. She folded her wings in, her eyes giving her a half-lidded glare, her usually smug expression absent.

“Leave’s over, kiddo. Something’s come up, and we need all the hooves we can get on this thing.”

“Does it have anything to do with Appleloosa?” Just like at the party when she volunteered to look into it, she just spouted the question concerning the town without even thinking about doing it.

Onyx leaned back a moment, widened her eyes and turned around toward the edge of town. “Yeah, actually. That and many other outlying towns on Equestria’s frontier. How did you-”

“Lucky guess.” Twilight gave yet another apprehensive smile, the expression having gained a great deal of mileage from its use with Duchess Offuscata.

Onyx stared at Twilight blankly for several moments, blinking heavily and shaking her head. “Fine, let’s just go.” She let forth a sharp whistle that pierced through the air, then looking across the river. From the distance across the river came the black box carriage in response, crossing the river with all due haste. He stopped in front of the two mares, bucking the black box, and in so doing throwing the doors open. Onyx stepped in, Twilight following behind and sitting on the other side, the carriage starting off toward the forest.

****

The shanty town bustled with far more activity than usual, pairs of Starlit running to the wagon at the center of town, then leaving a few seconds later. Twilight and Onyx followed suit, moving with the others to the wagon. Standing there over a table with a map on top of it was Underhoof, pointing at teams of two and shouting out instructions, barely giving notice to Onyx and Twilight’s presence.

“And someone contact our Eyes and find out which Scion is in- Onyx, Nightfall, give me a moment...” He looked over at one of the couriers, who nodded in understanding and ran off to carry out his orders. Underhoof turned his attention to Nightfall and Onyx, then pointed to the map. “Alright, I’m going to give you the size of this very quickly- several outlying towns have been forming rebel forces against Princess Celestia. You’re going to find the source of these uprisings and get rid of it as quickly as you can.”

“Is one of those towns Appleloosa?” Again, she found herself saying the name of the town before she even considered asking the question, not even sure herself why she considered it. ”Why do I keep asking about it? Well, I suppose I know now that it does have something to do with this mess, but still...”

“It’s not a full-scale rebellion yet, but we’re starting to see the same signs. Disasters occurring in the town, then an instigator directs their frustrations at the Princess. If it follows the pattern, they’ll form their own rebellion cell, then they’ll start attacking Royal Officials, and then it repeats in another town when an instigator goes there. We’re not sure if it’s several different people, or the same person doing it under different aliases. Just to be safe, we’re sending teams into every town where these insurrections have taken place to make sure.”

Onyx rubbed her hoof down her eyelids, pulling it down and blinking several times. Looking between the map, Underhoof, then Twilight, she groaned out, “Do you have the full investigative report?”

“Yeah. I’ll give you a copy.”

“Good. Nightfall here will have something to do on the train ride... You’ll soak that stuff up like a sponge, won’tcha?” Onyx temporarily dropped her droopy, tired expression to give Twilight a good punch in the shoulder with her forehoof, though the strike landed far weaker than it normally would. A packet of papers was thrown into her face.

“There’s the report. Take the next train to Appleloosa, and ask for tickets under your name, Onyx. Princess Celestia has already taken care of the travel arrangements. Any questions you may have will be answered in the report. Dismissed.”

Onyx and Twilight bowed before Underhoof, turning to the carriage and walking off. The pegasus mare focused her gaze upon Twilight, her drooping eyes gaining a brief glint of resolve. She bent her head downward, grabbing the packet with her teeth, nudging the packet to Twilight.

“It’ll be a while before the next train comes by. We’ll head back to Ponyville so you can get your stuff ready. I'll get you some lore books to look over in case you have off-time. I’ll see you at the station.”

Twilight nodded, jumping into the Black Box carriage to head back to Ponyville. "I really hope this mission isn't anything like the last one..." Of course, a different voice in her head told her that it could only get worse from there.