• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 1,181 Views, 10 Comments

If Freedom is a State of Mind - Ripcord



Subject 7 has escaped, and running free.

  • ...
1
 10
 1,181

Monsters

After the tragic breakfast incident we decided to head out and grab a bite to eat later today. We left the house and waved goodbye to spike, he looked happy to see us go for some reason. Soon everypony gathered around us and started giving us food and telling us goodbye. I tried to figure out how they knew but Apple Bloom jumping on my back gave it away.

"Good luck mister, hope you find what you're looking for!" Apple Bloom said cheerfully hoping off my back. I smiled and just continued on. Twilight seemed to be enjoying all the commotion, skipping and yelling goodbye to everyone. It was cute but I was more focused on the pony in front of us. She was wearing a ragged straw hat and had a stern look on her face.

"Now hold it right there partner, where you going with Twilight here?" She stated.

"Oh Applejack it's ok, we'll be back soon," Twilight replied.

"Oh sweaty I know but I've never met your friend here, how can I trust you?" She said glaring at me. The look in her eyes gave me an uneasy feeling and I backed up a little before talking.

"I'll keep her safe," I finally replied.

"Sounds reasonable, but how do I know your not a bad pony or something,"

"Ha not even I know that yet, but I'll figure it out soon,"

"Well alright then, go on you two have fun and you," Applejack looked at me again. "Keep your word and make sure she gets back here alright."

"You have my word then," I said smiling. Applejack waved us off and we left the town, Twilight stuck close to me. We were on a decrepit dirt road leading to the EverFree forest. It was still a few miles away and it was early in the morning so we took our time. I walked off a little to go smell the flowers in the field or the road side. Twilight was writing something down in the journal she brought. I tried to get a peek at what she was writing now and then but all she did was laugh and hide it. It was a beautiful day, the birds were chirping and the pretty fly like bugs were floating around. I was gazing at them wide eyed as they flew around me. I tried to catch a few but the were to fast for me. I jumped up to grab one always fluttering above my head but when I went up so did it and I fell flat on my back. It fluttered off and twilight used her magic and brought me back up.

This time I stayed close to her as she read a book. It was about a brave soldier who fought off all who threatened his village. I listened intently to the morals of honor, respect, and dignity hidden in the verses. I felt a feeling come over me and thought to myself "How could one man be willing to drop everything for one small village". She continued on and soon I realized why he would give it all. His wife lived in the village and he swore it would still be there when she returned. Last of his platoon, a simple PFC (Private First Class) standing headlong in a battle he could never win. He would die only to withhold a promise to the only mare he ever loved. I looked at Twilight and remember what I promised to both her and Applejack.

" I promise you'll be safe" I whispered to myself.

"What was that?" Twilight asked putting the book back. I just shrugged my shoulders and nudged her on the flank. She giggled and we were soon back on our way to the EverFree forest. It was a nice quiet walk after we finished the book. I had no idea that Twilight could read so fast and enunciate so well. It was nice to know because I figured out that I like stories so hopefully she does it some more. Were nearing the end of the trail and we saw the stone archway to the section of the forest we needed to go through. I also noticed that there was a village, it has been ransacked, burnt, and devastated. Twilight gasped when she saw it to, I took off full boar and reached the village quickly. It was recent, the fires and dead happened only and hour ago. I started to investigate what happened, pulling board from board off a bodies seeing if they were still alive. Twilight soon entered the village and was gasping for breath.

"H-how can you *gasp* run so f-fast," She said trying to breath. I walked over and rubbed her head and continued my investigation of the area. I looked around and eventually heard a faint breathing. I ran through a building and getting singed on the way out. It was a small black pony, she had a spear through her stomach and a dead worker beside her. I tried to hold back all my emotions and thoughts. How could the workers be here, why would they do this, and who is the mare. I walked over to her and sat next to her.

"A-am I going to b-be al*kack* alright," She said weakly.

"No, I'm sorry, who are you," I asked quietly. I pulled her onto my lap and moved her hair out of the way.

"I-I am Subject 24,"

"Hello 24, I'm Subject 7, I'm a friend and here to help,"

"Another S-Subject, how did you *cough* g-get out?"

"I was freed 24 now tell me what happened here?" I said softly. Twilight turned the corner and saw me holding 24, she stayed back and watched.

"T-the workers, they're hunting us down. The d-doctors a-are exterminating the S-su- *aaahhh*," 24 said with her last breath. I sat there, my soul was on fire. I wanted to kill all of the workers and doctors for doing this. They can't play around with life like they do, it's wrong. I sat there, Twilight walked up to me and put her hoof on my shoulder. I looked up at her, my eyes were blank, opaque and filled with anguish. I got up and hugged her tightly, knowing now the danger I'm putting her in.

"She deserves a proper burial," I said in Twilights ear. She just nodded and walked off, I picked up 24's body and carried her out of the village. I found twilight using her magic to dig a whole under a weeping willow. A tree that signifies the grief that 24 has gone through her whole life. I laid her down in the grave, crossing her arms as Twilight floated a blooming flower onto 34's chest. I kicked the dirt back into the grave, I kept my emotions trapped within me. I had to be strong for Twilight in this moment, she was crying softly behind me as I padded the dirt down. I flattened the dirt then kissed the grave, " You’ll be remembered" I whispered into the ground before rising. I looked up and waved Twilight over, I put my arm around her and kissed her on the head.

"You need to head back home now Twilight," I said softly.

"W-why, I can't leave knowing what they're going to do to you," She pleaded.

"And I can't live with myself knowing the danger I'm putting you in. Everywhere we go Gen Corp. will be hunting me. If you die you'll just be another mark on a workers suit,"

"I'm not leaving 7, you need me, and you promised to keep me safe," She said getting closer to me. I wanted to fight her, tell her to leave but she was right. I promised to keep her safe and I'll keep that promise just like the lone soldier did. I laid down next to 24's grave, I set my head into my hoofs. I started to whimper a little, the thought of what’s going to happen. I might have to kill someone, I might have to leave Twilight or worse, get her taken and tested on. The thoughts rambled around in my head and all Twilight did was lay with me. I pulled me head out of my arms and looked at her, my face was stained with tears but so was hers.

"Twilight, no matter what, no matter the situation. I'll keep you safe *sniff* I'll make sure you get back home. I promise to do so without taking a life, without killing anyone," I whimpered to her. She kissed me on the cheek and snuggled close to me, I put my head next to hers and we laid there for a while.

After an hour or so we left the grave side. I walked with Twilight as we entered the EverFree forest. It was a dark, desolate place with little but a slipping sanity to offer. It was getting dark and the sounds of the creatures started to hum in the air. Twilight shot behind me, shacking in fear as we walked. I chuckled, I didn't understand how scary creatures of the forest could actually be. If they were anything like the pretty flying bugs from before they should be harmless yet impossible to catch. We continued on, it soon became to dark to see so we stopped in a small opening. The grass had a blue hue to it and was soft enough to rest on. I walked out into the forest and let Twilight set up camp while I foraged for some herbs. I read a book on herbs back at the house so I had an idea of what to look for. As I ventured out I heard footsteps and then the sound of metal hitting a rock. I tensed up, my heart raced and everything started to become more vivid. I walked carefully to the area of the noise, I came closer to the area and rounded the bend.

I saw a sword laying next to a rock, It was a simple broadsword with blue pin stripping on the hilt. I picked it up and realized I've seen this kind of sword before back at the lab. Shocked at the realization I grabbed the sword and ran back, it was the workers, they're here, they found me. I rushed to the camp and saw Twilight making stew, she stopped and looked at me. I didn't stop running but instead dropped the sword. I saw a reflection in the bushes behind her and soon a gas mask emerged. I leaped over Twilight, ramming the worker and sending him into a tree. its friend saw this and came over, it grabbed it's sword and mad a heavy arching motion sending the sword at me. I jumped to the right and mule kicked him in the jaw, shattering it. It stammered back, it's friend was getting his bearings again. It grabbed it's spear and charged me, I ducked down and it tripped over my body. I walked over to it and kicked it a few times in the face, denting its mask. It's friend was getting up so I jumped over to it and slammed it's head into the ground.

Twilight came over and saw the two workers unconscious around me. She gasped and came towards me, I had a gash down my back. I didn't feel it because of the adrenaline but Twilight did. She came over and looked at my back, I soon noticed the green blood running off my mane.

"7 are you ok," She gasped.

"Yeah I'm fine, It should heal just fine," I replied. Twilight watched carefully as the bleeding stopped as quickly as it started. "The DNA skin weave makes my skin more resilient than most ponies,"

"But what are these "Things" around me?"

"Workers, they must have followed us out of the village,"

"W-what are they?"

"I don't know, lets have a peek shall we," I said happily as I walked over to one. Twilight was close behind me as I grabbed the mask. I pulled it off but now wish I never did, Twilight screamed as I shook my head. They weren't ponies anymore, they were monsters made by the doctors. It's face was mutilated, a V shaped glass dome showed it's brain. There was wires running along it's brain and machinery stitched into its face. It's eyes were replaced with an optical enhancement device allowing it to see in different ways. UV, X-ray, night vision you name it, it's skull was reconfigured too. The hair was stripped and replaced with metal and scar tissue. I was about to throw up at the sight of the things, the poor things. I turned around and nudged Twilight a little to let her know it's ok.

"K-kill m-e, please 7, end this h-hell," One of them whispered. It knew my name, it retained it's soul and fought the control of the doctors for now. I walked back to the camp and grabbed the sword and returned to the spot.

"I thought you said you wouldn't kill anyone," Twilight said quietly.

"I-I know, but they're already dead Twilight. They've suffered long enough," I replied softly. "If I destroy the brain Gen Corp. can't use them anymore. They will be left undisturbed to rest in peace,"

"I...I understand but h-how can they do this?"

"I don't know Twilight, I'm so sorry," I replied. I hopped up on my hind legs and drove the sword into it's skull. I walked over to the other one still awake, "I'm so sorry my friend," I whispered to it. "Thank you 7," It replied as I drove the sword into it's skull. I pulled the sword out and took a few steps back. Twilight was on the ground shacking, I knew she didn't understand and she wanted to forget. I sat next to her, I was bloodied, scornful and saddened but never showed it. Instead I sat there and rubbed her back, letting her know it's over. At least for now.