• Published 14th Jan 2016
  • 430 Views, 16 Comments

Run or Die - Buckseed



In a world ravaged by a zombie outbreak, runners are the last hope for the dwindling numbers of humanity.

  • ...
6
 16
 430

A Shared Past

Waiting wasn’t one of Dash's strong points, so when she realized she had to do it for an hour until her meetup with the doctor, she immediately made plans to help waste time. Once she left the room, she made a left and made her way down the hall. She passed doors left and right, most were cleared out and used for storage and housing, but there were a few rooms that had hardly been touched since the compound was established as a safe zone. Small desks lined the room with a larger one in the front, obviously a classroom. What caught Dash’s attention wasn’t the fact that there was an untouched classroom in the compound, but rather, the fact that there was someone sitting in the front row watching the blackboard intently as if a lesson was currently in session.

Light pink hair, eyes with bags and dark circles around them, a yellow dress and a stuffed rabbit plush by her side, it was definitely Fluttershy. No denying that one. Dash always had a soft spot for the girl, they had been through alot together, stuff that she’d rather not remember, and it had tolled on the other girls mental stability. Dash took a step into the room.

“Shy? You alright in here?” she asked the girl.

Fluttershy turned her head to face Dash and, holding a finger to her lips, shushed her.

“Shh, Miss Cheerilee is teaching right now.” Fluttershy said, before turning to the front of the room once more, writing notes with her non-existent pen and paper.

Dash felt a pain in her chest as she watched the other girl, lost in her own world. She took the seat behind her, staring into the pink hair of her oldest friend. They had grown up together, but they ended up so different.

“It’s all because of the Institute.” Dash said out loud, lowering her gaze so she now focused on her hands that were resting on the desk.

“Shhh, there’s a test.” was all Fluttershy said in response.

Dash could feel a multitude of feeling at that very moment, but guilt was the most prominent.

“It’s all my fault!” she suddenly exclaimed, clenching her fists as tight as she could. “I was the one who wanted to explore that day, and I dragged you with me! It’s because of me that we got grabbed by them! If it wasn’t for me, you could have been with your family when they...when they…” Dash trailed off, her emotions getting the better of her as she felt the warm tears drip down her face. “I’m so sorry Fluttershy.” she said, eyes and mouth closed as tight as she could get them.

The room was silent for a moment, before Fluttershy pushed her chair back and got up from her seat. She turned to face Dash, her face was covered by her hair, but Dash was still able to see the tears streaming down her friend's cheeks.

“It’s time for the next class.” was all Fluttershy said before turning and walking out of the room and away from Dash.

Dash sat alone in the classroom, eyes facing the blackboard as she recalled Fluttershy the way she used to be, the way she was before everything happened. Back when all they had to worry about was Miss Cheerilee giving them a pop quiz.

There was a time when they lived next door to each other, and they would do homework together every day before being allowed to go to the park to play. Even though Fluttershy was a few months older, Dash was always the one in charge because she was stronger and better suited to protect them, especially since the only dangers their parents worried about in their small town was the possibility of school bullies.

But then that day came around. Dash had read a Daring Do book for a report, and she had gotten into an adventurous mood, which wasn’t exactly odd for her, to say the least. Against Fluttershy's better judgement, she dragged the girl away to the forest the bordered their hometown. For years, the girl's parents had told them over and over again to never enter the forest alone, and Dash wanted to know why.

It had been dark and cold in the forest. It felt like they were walking for hours but Dash was determined to find something cool to keep in her room. Fluttershy was nearly petrified with fear, gripping onto the back of Dash’s shirt as tight as she could, just so she could feel some semblance of safety.

Eventually they found a large clearing full of tents and tables that had some stuff they recognized from science class on them, and a bunch of other things that they didn’t recognize as well.

Dash shook her head to free her mind of these memories. She placed a hand onto her neck, remembering the feeling of a needle being jabbed into her before everything went black all those years ago. That was the day that the Institute got their first subjects, that was the day they ruined her life and she, in turned, ruined the life of her best friend.

She used her sleeved arm to dry her eyes and stood up from the small desk she currently occupied. She had wasted enough time sitting here and reminiscing on her childhood. She had to go meet the doc soon. Exiting the room, she turned around and gave it one last look before she closed the door behind her.

Author's Note:

A short chapter to introduce a new character and give a little insight into the past. All will be revealed in time.