• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 1,367 Views, 13 Comments

Fires Above - Pish



Equestria's citizens have been driven to live underground

  • ...
1
 13
 1,367

Chapter 5

Getting to the Mantle City Security Offices, Flood found, was no easy task. The only way to enter was through a cordoned-off railway system, available only to the members of Security. While Princess Luna had given Flood the documentation to get back in, the guard at the station was hesitant to allow him passage. Seeing a colt striding back up to the gate, who, a day prior, had come through unconscious and in the company of two security personnel, had evidently raised suspicion.

"No way this is legitimate," the gate guard said as Flood, for the umpteenth time, insisted that Princess Luna had given him the pass herself.

He gave the guard a frustrated look.

"Don't gimme that face," he shot back. "You 'spect me to let you on the cart after Suit and Hooves carried you here in cuffs?"

"Uh...pretty much," was Flood's deadpan response.

"Cheeky little s-"

"We moving it along here or what?" came a third voice from beside the ponies. Both Flood and the guard turned sharply to the source.

A pegasus pony stared back at them. Flood was slightly taken aback at her appearance: she looked positively sickly. Her coat was a faded sky blue, and Flood could barely make out an outline of a cutie mark on her flank. Her mane and tail were a myriad of other washed-out colors. Her eyes, however, were a powerful shade of magenta, with dark circles under them. Despite the appearance, Flood felt as if he had seen her before. He squinted as he looked her over again.

"Nice of you to come back, kid," she said.

Flood cocked his head. "Huh?"

The guard seemed flustered at the mare's sudden, indignant appearance. "Oh, s-sorry Rainbow Dash. I didn't know he was with you." He walked back to the rather small cart, flipping a switch on the controls. Its door opened.

Rainbow Dash...? Flood wondered. Where have I heard that name before?

She strode past him and into the cart, plopping down on one of the few seats inside.

"You coming?"

"Oh, right," Flood muttered. He turned to the guard as he raised his eyebrows and gestured towards the cart with a flick of his head.

"Yeah, go on," the guard said, a little defeated. He must have felt a little deflated, as he thought he was denying an intruder access to the offices. His ego must have been getting bloated by the second, only to have been crushed by the oddly familiar mare sitting in the cart.

Flood took his seat opposite Rainbow Dash, still staring at her, trying to figure out where he knew her from. The cart shifted as it jostled down the track.

The pegasus stared back. "Fluttershy did a great job, I guess," she commented.

"Fluttershy?"

Rainbow Dash chuckled. "You must've hit your head pretty hard back there," she mused. "Guess that explains why you didn't say 'thank you.'"

Then Flood remembered where he had heard her voice before. "Wait..." he began. "That was you back in the tunnel?"

Rainbow Dash smiled at him. "Yep, I brought you to the clinic. And I stand by what I said earlier. You weigh a ton."

Flood laughed. "I guess I owe you one," he said. "You seem awfully familiar, too," he added.

She cracked her neck. "Well, I don't like to brag, but..." She gave him an even bigger grin. "I was awarded Best Young Flier in Cloudsdale about 10 years ago."

Flood's face lit up. "That's where I know you from! You're THE Rainbow Dash! You beat Nightmare Moon and Discord!" He was ecstatic. It was like meeting a superhero. He read about Rainbow Dash in the newspaper quite a few times. "Wow."

Rainbow Dash blushed slightly. "Yeah, I guess I've done a lot."

"You work for Mantle Security now?"

Her expression changed to one of unease. "Sorta," she said.

"Can't imagine you get to fly much, being underground all the time," he continued.

"Well, actually, I do."

"Wait...seriously?" Flood asked, bewildered.

"I do a lot of flying." Rainbow Dash went on. "Spitfire and I do about ten flights a week."

Flood became even more excited. "Spitfire? You fly with the Wonderbolts?"

Dash looked down at the floor. "Just Spitfire. The rest of them went along with most of the surface," she said somberly.

"Oh...I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to bring that up," Flood apologized.

"It's okay," Dash replied. "It's been a long time."

They were quiet for a while. Then Flood spoke up.

"Is that where you fly?"

"Huh?"

"The surface. Is that where you guys fly?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," she responded half-heartedly.

Flood stared at her in disbelief. He was speechless. He hadn't seen anything of the surface since his home burned to the ground. "Wow," he breathed.

Dash stared back. "It's not much, really. Just a bunch of sand and sun."

"What do you guys even do out there?" Flood asked.

"Pretty much just look around for stuff everypony needs. Whatever survived the fires, really. We got most of the stuff for the power generators and water purifiers really early on. Lotta flying in the early days. I think that's what contributed the most to this." She gestured all over her body, at the dulled color of her coat. She flipped her mane with a hoof. "Always liked my mane colors."

Flood had been watching her in stunned silence. "That's awful," he said. "Why'd you have to fly so much?"

Rainbow Dash puffed out her chest a bit. "All the pegasus ponies were too slow to fly under the sun burning so hard without overheating or getting dehydrated. With the Wonderbolts gone, Spitfire and I turned out to be the only ones fast enough to scout out the surface without getting cooked. Now, I get to work with one of my idols, but..."

"That's a horrible price to pay," Flood finished for her.

"And Spitfire's the only one who really understands me," Rainbow Dash added. "She's in the same boat."

They were quiet as the cart pulled into the Security Office Station. Flood was staring at the floor as it came to a halt, still processing his conversation with the second pegasus that saved his life.

"But..."

Flood looked up to Dash as she suddenly resumed the conversation. She had been looking down at the floor as well.

"Even through all of this, I've been with my friends no matter what. Doing whatever I can to help them." Rainbow Dash sat up, opened the cart door, and stepped onto the platform. Flood followed. "I'll never leave them behind. Even if...I have to give my life."

She turned to face Flood. "Thanks for coming back, kid." She smiled. "Thanks for not judging me."

All Flood could do is return the smile as Rainbow Dash walked through the double doors to the Security Offices. He felt warm inside.

Loyalty, fierce and undying...

A whispering voice echoed throughout the empty cart platform. Flood wheeled around, searching for the source, in vain. He was alone on the platform.

"Somepony there?" he called out. There was no response.

He shrugged, and walked through the doors.

---

As Flood stepped through the door to Luna's office, she beamed as she recognized him.

"So you decided to come back," she said. "May I ask what changed your mind?"

He returned her captivating smile. "A little perspective."

Princess Luna nodded sagely. "The greatest wisdom comes from everywhere but oneself it seems." She got up and strode around the desk to stand in front of Flood. She completely dwarfed him; at full height, she was almost twice as tall. "I must agree with one of your previous points, Flood," she went on. "I believe you may not be able to help us with the challenge of fighting back against the golems."

"I'll do whatever else I can to help, Princess. Anything."

She smiled again. "I'm happy to hear it." Then her smile began to fade. "However, as you'll be working in the ranks of Mantle Security, your public activity will be of significantly less frequency."

"Uh..."

She gave a soft chuckle at his confusion. "It means you'll be working more...behind the scenes."

"Oh, so I'll be disappearing, so to speak?" Flood asked.

"Essentially. I suppose your first assignment should be to tie up any loose ends. Sever your pending social obligations."

"So..." Flood thought for a moment. "Should I quit my day job?"

Luna nodded.

"Shouldn't be too hard," Flood explained. "I didn't exactly leave on a high note the other day." He bowed his head."Thanks for giving me a chance, Princess."

"Good luck."

---

Trixie hadn't been at the Delivery Company when Flood came to give his resignation. Instead, he gave the receptionist a short note telling Trixie that he wouldn't be coming back to work as a delivery pony. As he walked along the Thoroughfare, he felt somewhat refreshed; as though his life was finally turning around.

"So the princess wants me to tie up any loose ends," Flood wondered aloud. Is there really anything to take care of? Dinky's with Cheerilee, I just quit my job...

He walked past Berry's bar. Ah hayseed...my tab. Flood trotted inside.

The bar was never really busy in the afternoon, but it always had its fair share of patrons. A trio of earth ponies were laughing with each other at one of the tables. Berry was at the bar, giving a white stallion a drink, when she noticed Flood approaching the counter.

"Back for more?" she asked.

Flood laughed. "Nah, just came back to pay the tab." He took a seat at the bar.

She started filling a glass with orange juice. "Have one on me then, mailcolt."

"Quit that job a little while ago, actually." He accepted the glass and took a sip. "Something better came up."

One of the colts at the table behind them laughed again. "Don't get too used to it kid," he said to Flood. "Celestia might set that on fire too!" The other two started laughing as well.

Flood turned around on his stool, smirking. "Yeah, sure."

"Really, kid," the pony went on. He took a sip from his glass. "Bitch is crazy." This elicited another roar of laughter from his friends.

"Funny," Flood said. He turned back to Berry, rolling his eyes.

"Watch the tone, kid." The colt was suddenly serious.

"Yeah, or Molestia might send you to the moon!" The table continued their laughter. "Here's to another thousand years!" One of the colts drained his glass, while another wiped a tear from his eye, still chuckling.

Then a harsh mare's voice rang out from a darkened corner of the lounge.

"I've heard just about enough out of you!"

Flood's head pivoted as he turned to the source of the angered pony. A female unicorn stepped into view.

"Well lookit this filly," one of the colts said. She glared at them.

She was a lavender-coated mare, looking to be somewhat older than Flood. Her mane was a dark indigo, with streaks of deep purple and pink. Her eyes were a color similar to her coat, and were giving the obnoxious ponies a death stare.

"Don't tell me you're one of Molestia's little ponies," one of them said. The other two snickered as all three stood up from the table.

"And what if I am?" the mare shot back.

A hint of malice crept into his voice. "We don't quite appreciate sympathizers," he replied. The colts were moving around the table, very slowly, towards her. "Lost our homes and jobs to that bitch."

"I said that's enough." The mare was bristling with anger.

"Ooh, and what're you gonna do, have your precious princess send us to the moon? Or maybe you'll call her sister," he paused for effect. "Heard she knows plenty about that!" He suddenly lunged at the mare.

Boom!

Flood nearly fell off his stool as a green bolt of energy suddenly arced up into the ceiling behind the lavender mare. Everyone in the lounge froze. From behind the unicorn stepped an imposing figure: a bipedal creature Flood had never seen before. Its purple, scaled body stood completely upright, with green spines stretching all along its back, from the top of the head to the tip of the spiked tail. Flood could see wings outstretched from its back.

What it was holding was an even bigger mystery. In the creature's claws was clutched a peculiar device: a long cone of gilded, shining metal, inlaid with a simple swirling design. A handle of wood was attached to one end, while the other remained open, a trail of pale green smoke billowing from it.

The colts were slack-jawed as they watched it step between the mare and the colt that charged her, now on the floor, scrambling backwards. Then it spoke.

"Don't make Twilight repeat herself," he said in a gruff voice. He waved the device in their direction. "That a problem?"

All three of the trembling-and now sober- colts shook their heads.

"Good." At his last word, as if on cue, a chunk of the ceiling where the bolt had struck fell onto a table. The colts took off without warning, making a mad dash for the lounge exit. The doors violently swung closed as the last one left the room.

"Come on," the mare called Twilight said. "Let's go home." She calmly strode over to the doors and pushed one open with a brief touch of magic.

The creature approached the bar. Flood tensed up, thinking he might be next.

"Sorry about the mess," he apologized. He turned towards the exit, tossing a handful of bits onto the counter. The door swung shut as he left.

Berry sighed. "Those two."

Flood was still partially in shock. "Who were they?!"

"Twilight Sparkle, Princess Luna's number one. The other one was Spike, her dragon friend." Berry reached over and scooped up the bits.

"Did you say dragon? There are dragons living down here?"

"Just him."

"Unbelievable..."

"Yeah," Berry replied.

Wait, did she say...

"...They're with Luna?" Flood asked.

Berry nodded.

"Crap, I need to catch up with them!" Flood hopped off his stool and made for the exit. He suddenly pivoted around and went straight back to Berry, grabbing the glass of juice and draining it, simultaneously tossing a bag of bits onto the counter in front of her. "My tab," he said.

She chuckled. "See you around, mailcolt."

---

"Hey, hold up!"

Flood had caught up to Twilight and Spike, calling out to them. They kept walking.

"Twilight!"

That got her attention. She and Spike stopped, turning to see who called out to them. Flood came to a halt in front of the two.

"Can I help you?" Twilight asked, a little impatiently.

"I, uh...wanna help," Flood said.

"Who are you again?"

"Oh, uh, I'm Flood," he replied somewhat sheepishly.

Twilight cocked her head. "I think the princess told me about you."

"She did?"

"Yes, the one that encountered the golem, correct?"

Flood's face lit up. "Yeah, that was me!"

"...and ran away."

His face immediately fell. "...Yeah."

Spike snorted. "Come on, Twilight." He gestured down the road.

"Now Spike, no need to rush," she said. "He wants to help. I have something perfect for him to take care of."

Flood raised his brow. "You do?"

"Why yes! Here," Twilight levitated a folded piece of paper from her saddlebag towards Flood. "this is very important. Get it done as soon as possible." Her and Spike turned and set off again down the street.

Flood unfolded the paper in front of him, raising it to eye level. It was a list.

"Medical order from Mantle City Clinic, rations from Sweet Apple Caverns, clothing order from Mantle Boutique," he read aloud. His face fell again.

Sighing, he slipped the list into his own saddlebag.

"I'm doing her shopping?"

---

The families of Mantle City, while grateful that they were given free food, water, and energy, still had a further demand: the education of their youth. Mantle Elementary was established for this reason. Cheerilee had gladly taken up a teaching job there, having been the Ponyville schoolteacher many years before.

Her teaching day had just ended, the classroom empty save for the young unicorn filly waiting by her desk. It had been nearly a day since she had been placed under her care. Her mother was gone, and the only pony she had left had asked if Cheerilee would look after her. She worried about him and what he was going through. He had been really close with Dinky's mother, and was even there when she died. The schoolteacher couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like to live with that guilt.

Cheerilee pulled a saddlebag over her head. "Okay, Dinky. Let's go home."

"Okay," Dinky replied. "Miss Cheerilee?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Do you know when Flood will be back?" she asked somberly.

"I wish I did, sweetheart," Cheerliee said, dejected.

As they approached the school exit, the door suddenly opened on its own. A familiar unicorn stood in the doorway. For the first time in a long time, Cheerilee saw Dinky smile.

"Flood!" she cried, galloping up to the unicorn and hugging his chest tightly. He smiled back and returned the embrace.

"Hey, Dinky. How are you?"

"Good to see you again," Cheerilee said to Flood. "What brings you to here?"

"Came to talk to you two, actually." He looked down at Dinky. "Something important to tell you, Dinky." She looked up at him with wide eyes. "I've got a lot of work to do. Some of it might be dangerous."

Dinky's lower lip quivered and she began to tear up. Flood pulled her in close. "But don't worry about me, okay? I'll come back as soon as I can."

Cheerilee watched them both with a heavy heart. He had simplified things for Dinky, a filly that was still reeling from the loss of her only parent, who had no idea why everypony lived below the earth in unspoken fear. But Cheerilee was an adult, and she knew the chances that someday, everypony would be in danger again.

Flood pulled away from Ditzy, and handed her a few bits from his bag. "Go get yourself an afterschool snack while I talk to Cheerilee, okay?"

She nodded, gave him one final hug, and trotted off through the exit as Flood watched her leave. Then he turned to Cheerilee.

"You look a lot better," she noted.

Flood nodded.

"Does that mean you've...?"

"Come to terms?" Another nod. "Yeah, I think so. How's Dinky been behaving?"

"Very well," Cheerilee answered. "The other children asked her why she's so sad today...surprisingly, she talked to the class about it. For a group of schoolchildren, they're very supportive." She smiled at Flood; he returned it. "They all sat with her at lunch this afternoon."

There was a period of silence as Flood gathered his thoughts. "Cheerilee, there's something much bigger going on. I don't know what, but I swear I'll get to the bottom of it." He gestured over his shoulder towards the doors. "I've got a few, uh..." Flood cleared his throat. "Errands to run, and then I might not be around so much. I'm not sure what I'll be up to."

"Just come back safely, alright? There's a little filly that still needs you."

"I will," Flood promised. He turned to walk out the doors to find Dinky and say goodbye once more.

"Good luck," Cheerilee called out after him.

The doors swung shut.

~