• Published 17th Dec 2015
  • 630 Views, 26 Comments

Finding a Home - Jeckard Cain



A griffon see's a chance to expand his horizons and takes it for all it's worth.

  • ...
3
 26
 630

Melodies of Life

Chapter Nine: Melodies of Life

After the first week of work, Sparrow had grown accustomed to the work load expected of him and his muscles had started to hurt considerably less each day. His body was becoming tougher with each tree he kicked and with each day that went by. Applejack was always around to help him out when he got too tired to finish a tree, he thought it was incredible, how she never seemed to run out of energy for her work. She was always cheerful and was always glad to lend a hoof. Big Mac was the same, in a way; while he would never do too much to help Sparrow out, he made sure that the young gryphon knew exactly what needed to be done to finish the job. So it went for that first week, the apple-bucking took up the day for work, and in the evenings Sparrow was surrounded with good company and great food. He truly couldn't have asked for more.

****

Sparrow woke up with the sound of a rooster crowing outside. He shifted on his bed for a bit before finally standing up. Stretching out his wings and yawning he looked outside his window to see the sunrise. It never ceases to amaze me Sparrow thought as he stepped into the washroom across the hall. He washed his head off with some water and proceeded downstairs. He had begun to bathe himself in the evenings instead of in the mornings, that way the filth of the work day wouldn't follow him to bed and he could start each day as fresh as possible.

Once Sparrow reached the kitchen he heard humming, it was low but definitely feminine. He crept down the stairs as silent as he could to see the event in action. Sparrow was rewarded with seeing Applejack in the dining area, setting up plates for each spot on the table. Each plate was then filled with plenty of oatmeal and a few apple slices from a pot in the center of the table. The tune that Applejack was humming was nothing Sparrow had heard before. He'd heard her sing before while they were working, he even joined in when he could pick up the melody. But this tune was more subdued, soft, and harmonious. It seemed to fit with the house itself and the life Applejack led. Simple and sweet.

When Applejack turned away from the table and began to head back towards the kitchen, Sparrow decided to speak up. "That's a lovely tune." He saw Applejack almost jump and laughed a little before continuing, "How come I've never heard you sing it before?" Sparrow began humming a few bars that he could remember, savoring the melody as it crossed his ears.

"Well you see," Applejack began "it was a song granny sang to me when I was a filly and when Applebloom came along, I sang it to her so she would sleep easier."

"Oh. Well I suppose that makes sense," Sparrow sat at his spot near the table and eyed his food. He knew better than to start eating before everyone was gathered, especially after he committed that faux pas at his first Apple family breakfast. He'd received a stare from granny, a gasp from Applebloom, a nudge from Applejack, and Big Mac had pulled him away from the table to tell him "Eenope."

"So where did your granny learn the tune from?" Sparrow continued.

"Her granny." Applejack said with finality. Sparrow rolled his eyes to which Applejack responded "I heard that." Sparrow pouted.

"Mornin' Sparrow, mornin' Applejack, what'd you make today sis?" While Sparrow wasn't looking, Applebloom had made her way downstairs and was headed towards Applejack in the kitchen, she stopped on the way to peak at the plates and Sparrow saw her lick her lips. "Oatmeal and apple slices, how'd you know what I wanted before I even asked sis?"

Applejack turned away from what she was doing to smile at the filly "Cause you're my little sister, and I know exactly what you want before you'll want it. Like right now you want, a big hug! C'mere you!" Applejack began chasing the filly around the downstairs area with Applebloom giggling as they ran around. Finally Applejack caught her and they giggled together as the sisters embraced. Not long after that Big Mac and Granny Smith both came downstairs and sat at the table. Once everyone had seated they began eating. It was sweet and simple.

****

The days work was tough. There were plenty of trees to kick for apples, but Sparrow always hated hauling the bushels back to the house. Usually Big Mac would be doing that in between other jobs of his, but today the stallion had to run some errands for Granny Smith in Ponyville, which left the job solely to Sparrow.

In between rows of trees that he apple bucked, he would then grab a cart and hook himself up to haul all the bushels that he'd gathered. He grumbled and complained at first, until he ran out of energy to even do that. He could feel his muscled straining and groaning at all the work that he was putting out. But he knew he couldn't stop, if he stopped he would be letting the Apple family down. Sure it wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't all done today, but Sparrow knew he would feel more accomplished if he did finish it.

After a few more hours the sun was high in the sky and the heat was bearing down oppressively on Sparrow. He had to stop and drink water after bucking each tree at this point. His body ached and creaked at every movement and he had to flap his wings to keep himself slightly aloft so that he wouldn't have to walk as much. He knew this used more energy than it was worth, but his claws were beginning to cramp and his hooves were giving out.

Sparrow didn't feel the need to let Applejack know he needed help, after all he'd been doing this for a week now, and who's to say he couldn't handle the same work load as Big Mac. Even though he was bigger, stronger, and more red. It was getting hard to think as Sparrow kicked another tree, so he stopped. Then he lied down on the ground. The ground felt nice. I should take a nap. Start up again when I'm awake

****

There's that song again. Why is it following into my dreams. All I did was take a nap, no reason to get a lullaby as well. I even feel like my body is wet. Probably from sweat, or something. Maybe I should wake up. Ya that sounds like a good idea now.

Applejack stopped humming as Sparrow started to open his eyes "Sparrow! Wake up! I was so worried, are you okay?"

The sun was setting as Sparrow opened his eyes slowly, he grinned as he saw that all the bushels were gone from the trees. "See, I can do as much as Big Mac without help." He felt a sharp knock of a hoof on his head and he looked up to see Applejack with tears in her eyes.

Applejack was clearly disappointed, "You're a right git you know that. Thinking you could do all that work and not get anypony's help. Why wouldn't you come get me when you were getting tired? I would've dropped what I was doing to help you finish the work."

Sparrow didn't know how to respond without sounding like a 'git' so he instead asked the most obvious thing first, "What happened?" He tried to sit up from the ground but Applejack held him down, it was a good thing too because his head was absolutely swimming.

Applejack sat down next to Sparrow "You did too much work too quickly and you got dehydrated. You really weren't drinking enough water with how much extra work you were doing Sparrow. I wasn't sure if you were going to wake up. When I saw you just lying here next to the trees I grabbed buckets of water as fast as I could and had Applebloom help me by having you drink it and by keeping your head wet while you were in the shade. It's been hours and I sent Applebloom to town to get somepony from the hospital over here, you probably still need medical attention even after waking up. Why would you do this to yourself Sparrow?"

The stars began to blink in the night sky and Sparrow raised his head to look at them and then back to Applejack. "Why were you singing that tune?"

"Sparrow, I..." Applejack began before Sparrow cut her off again

"Who did you really learn it from?" Sparrow asked. He could feel Applejack's muscle tense up as she pressed against him "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I'd just like to know, seeing as you were singing it to me after I had a brush with death."

Applejack looked at him and he could see a deep sadness well up in her eyes as memories flooded back to her that she had not particularly wanted to remember. "My mama taught it to me after she had Applebloom. She told me it was a song to keep somepony you care about safe. She would sing it for me and Applebloom every night before bed." Applejack stopped and looked away

Sparrow shifted himself closer to Applejack and draped his wing over her "Thanks for caring so much. It means a lot."

Then Applejack continued "When my mama died...I would go to her room and sing it to her empty bed every night, and then go to Applebloom and sing it for her again." Sparrow heard her breath catch " I sang it for you Sparrow because I didn't want you to go, just like I didn't want my mama to go. So please... Don't ever do that to me again, I couldn't bear to lose somepony else in my life."

The stars were out in full force now and Sparrow sat next to the orange mare, his wing draped across her as he felt wet tears splash onto his wing. Then, it was Applejack's turn to be surprised.

Sparrow began to hum Applejack's song. She turned and looked at him with tears in her eyes as he looked up to the sky and continued the tune. It carried through the trees and grass and into the night sky where it disappeared. Applejack then shuffled closer to Sparrow and laid her head down on his back. She began humming with him. The tune harmonizing and spreading farther than before.

The moon shone brighter on the two of them as they sat in the grass. It was definitely an interesting first week.

****

Author's Note:

Whew. That was an interesting one to write. I didn't expect to turn the chapter in a feels fest but it was a lot of fun to write it. I'm not sure where I want to take their bond at this point. Guess we'll have to see.

Feedback is always welcome, and thank you to those that continue to read. Also, soundtrack to the ending of this chapter in the youtube link. I thought it fit extremely well as a humming tune. Let me know what you think and if I should link other songs for the feeling of the other chapters.