• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 4,444 Views, 65 Comments

On Death's Door - Axel IV



Big Mac is put into a come while the main six reflect on their lives with him.

  • ...
8
 65
 4,444

The Beginning

Beep...Beep...Beep....Beep...Beep....

That was the only thing the six mares heard, their silence bringing out that horrid sound. They were all crowded around a large bed in the center of the room, their eyes on a large figure that was laying on it. The room was cold since it was a hospital, but there was a different chill in the air that froze their hearts and their spines.

On the bed lay a giant stallion whose body was a deep red. His mane was a dirty blonde color, and his eyes were a sparkling green if they were open. But they were closed, and his body was in terrible shape. Two of his legs had become broken and were sitting in large casts that were difficult to make because of his size. He had large gashes and cuts all throughout his body that had to be bandaged over and would all probably leave scars. One of his ears was torn up, and his breathing was weak.

An orange mare finally broke the silence as she laid her head on the bed, tears streaming down her face as she sobbed, “No...nonononononono...” She cried, “This wasn't supposed to happen....this shouldn't of happened....not to him....not to anypony.....” Twilight, a purple unicorn made her way over and placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“Applejack....” Twilight said, tears welling up in her eyes as well. She wasn't sure what to say and cleared her throat, feeling light sobs coming up as well, “Big Mac....he's a strong stallion....he will be-

“JUST FINE?!” Applejack screamed, turning to her friends, “HE'S IN AH COMA! HIS BODY IS ALL SMASHED UP AND BLEEDIN'! AND NOT TO MENTION THAT HE TOOK SOME BRAIN DAMAGE! HE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO WORK AGAIN! HE MAY NOT EVEN BE....” Applejack sobbed, “Big Mac....He may not even be himself anymore....”

“This is all our faults....” Rainbow dash said quietly, “If we had only listened to him....” A stream of tears made their way down her cheeks.

“Big Macintosh....” Rarity cried, her makeup becoming smeared by her tears, “He....was there for us...he got himself hurt....for our sake....”

Fluttershy was too busy crying to talk, and Pinkie's hair was straight and down, not in its inflated self. The six mares didn't want to reflect on what had happened that day.

The Day Before...

“Hey Applejack!” Twilight called, looking around the apple trees for a certain pony wearing a stetson, “Where are you?!” Pinkie Pie was bouncing up and down behind her, a wide smile on her face, followed by Fluttershy who was busy playing with the birds in the trees.

“Hey Y'all!” Applejack grinned, making her way out from the trees, “What you all here for? Want to help me buck some apples?”

“Noooot Exactly!” Rainbow Dash grinned, swooping down from the skies and making a few circles around her friends before finally landing softly onto the ground.

“Twilight here has read something that sounds very...fabulous.” Rarity smiled, coming out from the trees, “And it might also intrigue you as well.”

Using her magic, Twilight brought out a book in front of Applejack and opened it to a certain page.

“Uh, what's this?” The pony blinked, reading the page, “The Golden....Apple?”

“That's right!” Twilight grinned, “It's the most magical apple in all of Equestria! It is said to give you the knowledge of an entire library!”

“And give you the speed twice that of a sonic rainboom!” Rainbow Dash called out.

“Make you the most beautiful mare in the entire planet!” Rarity smiled dreamily.

“Allows you to read the thoughts of any animal!....But not to use it in a rude way of course...” Fluttershy chimed in.

“And its supposed to taste better than any cupcake combined ever in the entire wooooooooooooooooooooooooorld!” Pinkie Pie grinned, jumping up and down, “You've gotta come with us, Applejack! PLEASE?!”

Applejack scratched her head with her hoof, “Well...seeing how its such a legendary apple and all....Of course I'm in!” All the mares cheered and started talking about what they would do with this apple.

“Only one problem though...” Twilight said, “It's located directly in the center of the Everfree forest.” All the other mares grew quiet, thinking for a few seconds.

“That's fine!” Rainbow Dash grinned, “We've been there hundreds of times! This won't be any different!”

“You're right!” Applejack smiled, “This shouldn't be too hard!”

“Time to find this golden apple!” Twilight grinned.

“Yes!”

“Yes!”

“Um...but its scary....”

“Yeah!”

“Indeed!”

“OF COURSE!”

“Nnnope.”

Each of the ponies turned to see a massive red stallion standing nearby with a yoke around his neck. He had a sprig of wheat in his mouth and he looked very unamused. Big Macintosh was the strongest, largest, and most hard working pony that the six mares had ever seen. He didn't say much, but he had a heart almost the size that he was.

“What do yah mean, no?!” Applejack blinked, “It's an enchanted magical apple! Doesn't that sound like fun?”

“Nnnope.”

“Oh come on Big Mac!” Rainbow Dash cried out, “We've been through there before many times! We always come out okay!” Big Mac lifted an eyebrow at them.

“Too Dangerous.” Macintosh stated, “Don't go.”

“Big Mac!” Applejack called out a bit angrily, “I'm a big mare now. Ah can take good care of mahself and mah friends! You know this!” Big Mac just stared at her which seemed to piss her off even more.

“I think Big Mac is right....” Fluttershy said quietly.

“Come on Fluttershy! Doesn't this sound like an awesome adventure?!” Pinkie Pie smiled, bouncing up and down, “We'll be fine, Big Macaroni! We also have Twilight's special magic!”

“Let's go girls!” Applejack shouted, glancing back at Big Mac one more time, “Everything will be fine.”


They entered the everfree forest, cheerily talking amongst themselves as though it was not much of a big deal anymore. The scary trees were being ignored, along with the strange noises. Only fluttershy seemed to take note of their surroundings.

“You know...” Rainbow Dash grinned, “Applejack, your brother is one helluva stud. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again!” Applejack rolled her eyes and looked back at the blue mare, “Rainbow! If ah hear another word bout my big bro from ya!”

“She's right though...” Rarity giggled, “It's a shame that he doesn't come into ponyville more often. I would love to gather his...measurements...” Fluttershy turned red, Twilight's eyes widened, Rainbow Dash laughed, and Applejack gaped.

“What the hell are yah sayin?!” Applejack exclaimed, “Now that's jus' embarrassin!”

“Oh, come on Applejack!” Rarity laughed, “From what I'd seen, you had a huge crush on your brother when you were just a filly!” the others turned to Applejack with their jaws on the ground.

“N-No!” Applejack cried out, “We were jus' close is all!...And that was after our parents...” Applejack grew silent and Rarity instantly regretted what she said.

“Come on Girls...” Twilight said, stepping ahead of them, “Let's move along. It's been a while since we started walking and we should almost be in the heart of the forest.”

“Right...” Rainbow Dash said, feeling a light chill in her spine, “I...don't think I've ever gone this far into the forest before...” Fluttershy whimpered, hiding behind her friends, “I knew this was a bad idea...”

“Don't worry guys!” Pinkie laughed, bouncing to walk, “This forest isn't so baaad! Besides, my Pinkie sense isn't even going off! I think we- Pinkie froze, causing the other ponies to stop as well.

“Um...Pinkie?...” Twilight asked, growing a little frightened, “What does that-

“TIMBERWOLVES!” Pinkie screamed, “RUN!” The six mares all heard howling, and jumping out from the trees came five or six timberwolves, their jaws widening and dropping with saliva.

“Twilight! Get us outta here!” Applejack cried, the ponies all running as fast as they could away from the terrifying beasts.

“I...I can't!” Twilight cried, her horn sparking, “Something is blocking away my magic!”

“Fluttershy! Talk to them!” Rainbow Dash yelled, narrowly dodging a bite from one of the beasts.

“I can't get through to Timberwolves!” Fluttershy screamed, her tears flowing from her eyes like crazy, “Their hearts are as black as night!”

“Then we gotta outrun em!” Applejack growled, kicking ahead, “But which way do we go?!”

“We're lost now too?!” Pinkie yelled, “No! I still haven't eaten the cake that's baking back at sugarcube corner!”

The mares were chased for what seemed like hours until they found themselves at a huge rock wall, cornered completely as the wolves blocked off any other escape routes.

“Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, get away from here while you can!” Rarity yelled out, “There's still hope for you !”

“No way!”Rainbow dash yelled, landing next to Applejack, “We're staying with you two!” Fluttershy landed next to Twilight, tears still rivers on her cheeks.

“Well, ponies...” Twilight said quietly, “I'm happy to have ever known you....” The timberwolves howled and charged, their gaping jaws opening up wide enough to engulf an entire pony.

There was a loud crack, and one of the wolves was sent crashing back into a tree. The ponies all looked up to see a large red figure, a yoke around its neck.

“Big...Macintosh?....” Applejack blinked, tears in her eyes, “Why are...” The wolves howled and charged at him. Big Mac spun around, delivering a kick that could break a tree in half to one of their jaws, sending the monster into the rock wall. Another jumped at his side, and Big Mac spun, delivering punch with one of his powerful hooves. One of the wolves tackled him, its teeth slashing through his skin as he hit the ground.

Big Mac yelled in pain, and then punched down on its teeth, breaking a few before the wolf finally released him. The other wolves then leaped onto the crimson stallion, the pony letting out a powerful battle cry before the wooden beasts engulfed him with the bodies.

“MACINTOSH!” Applejack screamed, running straight for the pile.

“NO!” Big Mac's voice came, breaking the body of one of the wolves with a powerful kick and sending it up into the air, “GET OUT OF HERE!” One of the wolves bit down on his leg and a sickening crack was heard. Big Mac grunted with the intense pain and spun around, head butting it and smashing it into the ground.

Applejack suddenly felt herself being pulled back by the desperate hooves of Rainbow Dash and Rarity.

“NO!” Applejack cried, “WE HAVE TO HELP HIM!”

“We need you to stand back!” Twilight yelled, her horn glowing, “I'm gathering up my magic...this is going to take one shot....you can't be caught in the crossfire!” Applejack and the other mares looked on in horror, Big Mac fighting off the timberwolves. Three lay around him unconscious or dead, his body looking slashed and mangled already. His yoke was completely shattered and torn up, lying in a heap next to his barely standing body. There were more howls coming from the forest, and Big Mac let out a bloody scream as more rushed from the trees, tackling his body.

“NOW!” Twilight screamed, a powerful beam shooting from her horn. It landed directly in the pile of timberwolves, the light engulfing them as they howled in agony, their bodies set aflame. They immediately jumped off of the stallion and sprinted into the forest crying in pain.

Rainbow Dash and Rarity finally let go of Applejack who ran screaming to her brother.


“Damnit...Damnit all!” Applejack cried, her tears dampening the bed sheets, “We deserved this more than he did! And now look at him....LOOK AT HIM!” The mares continued to cry, the room filled with nothing but sobs. And then the door opened...

Applejack turned her head, her eyes widening. At the doorway stood Applebloom, her eyes not believing what she was seeing. On the bed lay her big brother....her strong, smiling, hard working big brother. And at this moment....he looked small and frail, his face wrapped up in a bandage.

The mares stared at Applebloom in silent. They had feared this...she was too young to have to see anything like this. The small filly walked slowly up to the bed before propping her self up onto her hooves against the bed, looking up at Big Mac's face.

“Hey...Big Brother....” Applebloom said, making a sad smile, “Wake up....”The other mares looked toward the ground as Applebloom repeated her words,

“Wake up...Wake up...Wake up!....WAKE UP!” Applebloom cried, her face being dug into the bed sheets. A few moments later, she lifted her head, her eyes glaring at the six ponies.

“YOU!” She cried out, “YOU DID THIS TO HIM!” The ponies all opened their mouths to say something but nothing came out. The young filly ran out of the room