• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 266 Views, 1 Comments

If Music Be The Food Of...Like? - Mr Merritt



Can a cook and a pair of Equestria's premier musicians handle each other?

  • ...
 1
 266

Chapter Two

Peppermill and the rest of his friends were gathered eagerly by the community bulletin board near the center of Ponyville. One of city hall’s staff ponies was busily pasting up a large poster to the surface, and the colts all anxiously waited to see what it was all about.

“It’s got to be something important. I mean, the poster is bleedin’ huge!” chirped Pipsqueak, rearing up on his hind legs and craning his neck to try and catch a glimpse of the poster’s contents.

“Just because it’s big doesn’t mean that it is important.” remarked Featherweight.

“Well, whatever this is about has got to be better than nothing. It’s been stupidly boring around here lately.” grumbled Snips.

“The only reason…you are bored is because…we don’t want to do…the things you suggest we do.” Peppermill pointed out, which earned him a dark look and a snort from the tubby unicorn.

“I think he’s finished.” exclaimed Rumble. The colts fell silent as the stallion in question looked over his work for a moment, nodded, and then went away. In seconds the spot he had been standing on was occupies by six pairs of eager eyes.

“DJ P0N3 presents The Ponyville Jam…” recited Snails as he read out loud.

“DJ P0N3 is coming here to Ponyville! Awesome!” crowed Rumble, performing a wing assisted backflip in triumph.

“Finally, something cool comes here.” agreed Snips, perking up considerably at this news.

“She is totally awesome. I hear she does these free concerts all the time, a lot more than any other musician in Equestria.” commented Featherweight.

“Cor, she’s like…really famous!” squealed the tiny pinto pony.

“Erm…”

“…”

The rather sudden silence at the uncertain noise made by Peppermill was punctuated by five young colts looking at the grey Apple pony in astonishment.

“Please tell me you have heard of DJ P0N3…there is no way a colt from Canterlot could not have heard of her.” questioned Snips.

“Of…of course I have heard…of her…” stammered Peppermill.

“Her real name is Vinyl Scratch.” offered Snails cheerfully.

“I know that!” exclaimed Peppermill indignantly.

“Easy guys.” Rumble quickly inserted himself into the conversation. He peered at the grey colt for a moment, and then spoke again. “Just because he is from Canterlot doesn’t automatically mean he would have heard of DJ P0N3.” Peppermill began to give a sigh of relief until the tough Pegasus colt added “Besides, I’m not sure that would be the kind of music he would be into anyways.”

“What exactly…is that supposed…to mean.” Peppermill’s voice was bathed in righteous indignation at what he felt was some sort of implied insult.

“Yeah, I suppose being all fancy means you wouldn’t be into any of the good music out there. All he probably had to listen to was symphonies and that kind of stuff.” remarked Snips with a wave of a forehoof.

“I always thought Peppermill would like those opera songs. I know some of me aunties love going to those back in Trotingham.” quipped Pip.

“There is nothing wrong with that kind of music guys. “ Rumble’s attempts at regaining control of the conversation hid from him the fact that Peppermill was positively seething. “Just like there isn’t anything wrong with one pony liking one type of music over another.”

“What pony wouldn’t like DJ P0N3’s stuff?” countered Snips.

“Well, mostly just the older ponies. You know, grandmas and grandpas and ones like that.” Featherweight stated.

“That’s…that’s not true at all!” exclaimed Peppermill with a shout. “And how…do you know this…Vinyl Scratch…is as nice as…you claim?”

“I heard she is really nice. And she’s kinda cool looking…” mumbled Snails shyly.

“What is your beef with her anyways?” demanded Snips.

“I’m just saying…that you shouldn’t…believe everything you…read about other ponies. This mare could…be a really diva in…the flesh.” protested Peppermill.

“It sounds more like you just don’t like her music and don’t want to come off as uncool.” Snips smirked.

“It’s not a big deal if he doesn’t like her music.” intoned Rumble, placing himself in between Peppermill and Snips. He could tell the conversation was spiralling into a full blown argument, and intended to shut that down in a hurry. He was so busy dealing with Snips, who he believed was goading their friend intentionally that he never noticed Peppermill storm off.

“Nice going Snips.” sighed Featherweight, rolling his eyes. “You did a great job of ticking off one of your best friends.”

“What? You all know Peppermill is always trying to act like one of us.” snapped the unicorn colt.

“Who says he isn’t one of us? What is your thing about reminding him about his past?” sighed Rumble.

“Sometimes you really need to learn to shut yer gob Snips.” snorted Pipsqueak.

“And you need to watch your mouth, unless you want me to tell your aunt and uncle the words you use outside of the house!”

“I’d like to see you bloody well try!” Only Snails continued to gaze off where the grey pony had went, while the two Pegasus colts attempted to keep the little pinto colt and chubby grump of a unicorn from going at each other.