• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 265 Views, 1 Comments

If Music Be The Food Of...Like? - Mr Merritt



Can a cook and a pair of Equestria's premier musicians handle each other?

  • ...
 1
 265

Chapter Six

“I really owe you for this AJ”

“Considering how often I’ve pulled yer flank out of the fire you’ve set fer yerself, ah reckon you’d be working at Sweet Apple Acres till the end of tahm.” Applejack shook her head as she launched a precision kick at the trunk of an apple tree. “Besides, ah reckon this here Vinyl Scratch is the last gal ya need to impress.”

“It’s not so much Vinyl that I want to impress, not that I’m trying to impress anypony…” admitted Rainbow as she hovered over the recently bucked tree, looking for any apples that might have not been shaken loose. While it was highly unlikely that Applejack would have missed one, the Earth mare would admit it still paid to have a second set of eyes just in case. There was nothing that annoyed the farmer more than a single fruit getting left behind to rot.

“It’s this Octavia gal, ain’t it?”

“Yeah, sort of…”

“Sort of?”

“Look, as far as I can tell from seeing her once and from what Vinyl has told me, Octavia could probably match Rarity for style and grace. I can handle Rarity so I can probably handle Octavia. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I was doing this more for Peppermill than anypony else.”

“Fer Peppermill?” Applejack gazed up at her friend in surprise at this confession.

“You know how a few days ago he was in such a bad mood?”

“Ah reckon that boy can sulk with the best of them.”

“Well, I didn’t a little digging and I think I found out what was bothering him.” Dash proceeded to tell Applejack about the discussions and hurt feelings that had developed between Peppermill and his friends in regards to the topic of music. “It was just a happy coincidence that I found out that Vinyl and Octavia were coming to town when this went down. I figured maybe they could cheer him up a bit, you know, show him that it’s cool to like different kinds of music.”

“Huh, that’s down-right impressive thinking commin’ from you Dash. Ah seem to recall you giving me a hard time about me liking country tunes and not that racket you listen to.”

“Hey! Rock music isn’t racket!”

“Just simmer down sugarcube. The point is that it is mighty nice of you to want to do something good fer Peppermill. Ah reckon getting a chance to entertain some folks and cook up a big meal will make him feel a whole lot better…”

“I get a good meal, get to listen to DJ P0N3 rock out and help a friend. It’s a good thing I’m so humble…”

“Humble? That sounds a whole more lahk the Dash I know…”

***

As the mare’s discussed the virtue of humility, another similar discussion was taking place inside the kitchen of Sweet Apple Acres. Or, to be more accurate, an inner monologue.

Okay…as far as I can tell…I have one of two…options available to me: Peppermill sat at the kitchen table, staring at what was the finalized menu for the big meal that he had been planning for Rainbow Dash. One, I make the greatest meal ever prepared…and make this Vinyl and Octavia regret…ever acting snobby or…rude to another…restaurant employee ever again.
Peppermill nudged the sheet of paper with a forehoof, chewing on his bottom lip. Or two, I make the worst meal in Equestrian history…and tell them this…is retribution for all the trouble…they have ever caused…for hard working ponies… The colt’s stomach churned as he pondered his options.

“Howdy Peppermill!” called out a happy voice as Applebloom bounced into the room. The colt stifled a yelp and grabbed the paper, clutching it to his chest as if the document might reveal his dark thoughts.

“Applebloom…” croaked the colt, trying to still his heart.

“Ah don’t think I’ve been this excited since I got mah cutie mark! We are gonna have DJ P0N3 right here in our own house!”

“Yes…it’s very…exciting…”

“The girls are gonna be beggin’ fer details of hanging out with her!”

“I am sure…they will want to know…everything that will…happen that night…”

“And ah just know you will knock their horseshoes off with whatever ya got planned to make. The whole family is lookin’ forward to it.”

“Everypony…”

“Well, ah best leave ya to it then. Ah know ya won’t disappoint us.” And with that the filly bound out of the farmhouse, leaving the colt to sit
there sick to his stomach.

“I guess my…decision was…just made for me.” sighed the chef. “As much as…I might want to…get a bit of…retribution I simply…can’t let my
friends and family down.”

“…”

“But I swear so…much as a single…word that sounds like…an unjustified complaint…”