• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 476 Views, 7 Comments

Above the Fire Sky - TheTimeSword



While the mane six are enjoying a meteor shower, one meteor changes its course and lands in the Everfree. The group of friends rush after it to ensure the entire forest doesn't burn down, but what they find may be a new friend.

  • ...
1
 7
 476

Chapter 12: Taking Flight

“Well this was an absolutely marvelous surprise!” Rarity said, commenting on the four firefoxes that sat next to Princess Cadence and Shining Armor.

Artimas stepped off the train with Roshk and the two firefoxes with blue antenna.

‘Mother!’ One of the blue’s called out. ‘Father!’ The other added.

They rushed over and embraced their parents. The mother of the two young firefoxes began to cry as she hugged them.

“That’s so sweet.” Fluttershy said with tears filling her eyes.

“Oh darling please, you’re going to get me going. I don’t want my mascara to run!” Rarity replied as she put her foreleg around Fluttershy.

Rainbow floated above the two sentimental ponies, sticking out her tongue and pointing her hoof towards her throat.

‘Artimas! Is our daughter with you as well?’ One of the other sets of firefoxes rushed over to Artimas, their antenna were barely shorter than his with a bright pink coloring.

He looked at them with discontent before shaking his head.

‘No, but there is a second group in the southern part of this world, and these gracious ponies have been helping us bring our kin together.’ Artimas answered.

‘So that’s how these kind nobles knew about us.’ The pink mother conversed. ‘We had feared the worst.’

“Wait, I don’t remember Twilight sending anything to the Crystal Empire.” Rainbow questioned.

Princess Cadence stepped forward, greeting the three ponies warmly. “That’s because she didn’t. We received a letter from Canterlot.” Rarity and Fluttershy bowed to Cadence.

“We only rounded them up this morning, the guards thought they were mini suns when they first encountered them. Their heat sure feels like one.” Shining Armor added, bowing to the ponies as they bowed back.

Rarity rose and pulled the map from a saddlebag using her magic. “Then that means we only have a few to the north! Once we get back to Ponyville and meet up with Twilight’s group, we’ll have reunited the entire clan!”

Fluttershy clapped her hooves excitedly as Roshk jumped happily on her back. The four firefoxes with blue antenna walked over to Artimas.

“That means the last five should be somewhere near,” Rarity paused to look closely at the markings. “Yakyakistan.”

Rainbow flipped in the air, exclaiming at the same time. “Awesome! Let’s go get ‘em!”

Artimas walked forward and bowed to Cadence and Shining. ‘Excuse me young nobles, but I have a request if it is not too much to ask.’

“Of course.” They responded in unison.

‘Would you please watch over my kin for me, just a little while longer? I feel it would be wise to not endanger the younger ones on this journey.’

“Rldrrh! Nklht! Nklht thk rmvk!” Roshk jumped off of Fluttershy and barked in the native language at Artimas.

‘No Roshk. Jericko and Shuul can watch over you.’ He looked up to the two firefoxes with pink antenna. ‘Please, would you watch over Roshk while I’m gone?’

The two parents looked at each other before the mother responded. ‘If you find our daughter, please bring her back safely.’ They looked to the ponies with worry on their face and mistrust in their tone.

Artimas simply nodded with a smile. ‘Do not fear young ones. I have the upmost faith in these ponies, we shall bring Keeko back safely if she is indeed among the group to the north.’

‘What if she’s not?’ The father asked.

‘Then you have a much bigger worry, Jericko, as that means Kai will be with the group that finds her.’ A simple laugh came from the elder firefox, while the unparalleled look of distress shot through the two parents faces.


“Kai?” Applejack said as she wandered out of the cave and onto the ledge. The morning sun had yet to shine as the moon was being lowered.

He was sitting, staring up at the stars when he heard his name called. Twisting his head to look, he stretched his body out before falling onto his back.

With a grin across his face he replied. ‘Hey there Applejack. Couldn’t sleep?’

She walked over and sat down next to him. “It’s almost sunrise, Ahm usually up by this time anyways.” With a gentle smile across her face, she looked up at the stars.

‘How do you know it’s almost sunrise?’ He asked as he rose to his feet.

“I’ve been wakin’ up at the same time fer most of mah life. It’s hard to not know, y’know?”

Kai sat back down, pressing his furry body next to hers. The starry light shined down on the valley, illuminating the gravel and sand below. The chill of the air was a delight compared to the broiling they had faced the previous day.

‘Applejack. What do you think I should do about Myar?’

Without looking down from the stars, she placed a hoof on his head. “Just call on me and Ah’ll wrestle the varmint for yah!” She chuckled.

He looked at her and smiled. ‘Thank you Applejack.’

“No problem lil’ guy. Now Ah’ll get out of yer fur, Ahm guessin’ somebody else wants a turn to chat with you.” Applejack said as she rose to her hooves and started walking back into the cave. Kai turned and looked to see who she was talking about. “He’s all yer’s partner.”

‘K-Keeko?’

The small firefox with pink antenna came waltzing passed Applejack. She sat down next to Kai and looked at him with a face full of grievances.

‘What’s wrong?” He asked.

‘Kai, whatever is going on with him I just want to let you know I’m here for you. You don’t have to deal with Myar alone.’ Tears had filled up her eyes.

He looked back up to the stars. ‘I do. Not for honor, not because he’s my brother.’

‘Then why?’ She insisted.

‘He won’t let me have the help. He’ll remove you, my parents, even my pony friends, just for a fight between the two of us. I won’t let him harm anyone, even if that means I must make a sacrifice.’

Keeko nuzzled her head into Kai’s chin. ‘You’re so stubborn.’

‘I know. It’s the horn that makes him act like this, but it’s his deeper feelings that will make him come after me. I guarantee it would have happened regardless of horn or not.’

“Vahkuul.” She responded in the native tongue.

‘Keeko! Your words can be hurtful, you know.’ Kai turned to look at her with a grin on his face.

She leaned up and looked him straight in the eyes. ‘Yeah, well you are. Especially because you haven’t noticed how beautiful the sunrise is, or the fact that I’ve been waiting patiently for you to kiss me!’

He stared back in shock, his mouth agape from her comments. ‘K-Keeko… I…’

Kai leaned closer to Keeko, their eyes closed as their muzzles beckoned one another.

“Gooooood MOOOORNING!” Pinkie Pie yelled with her face between the two, their muzzles kissing her cheeks. They opened their eyes and screamed in panic at what had transpired.

“Oops! I guess not everybody is a morning pony!” Pinkie said with a giggle and snort.


“M-Maybe w-we s-s-should turn back?” Fluttershy asked as her teeth chattered.

“We’re already a good distance from the Crystal Empire! No turning back now!” Rainbow yelled back to her, trying to overcome the winds.

The blizzard was raging hard, covering them in snow and ice. The path to Yakyakistan was not usually this horrible during the summer months. On days like these, even the animals of the area would stay in their caves.

‘I’m trying to burn as warmly as I can, but these old bones are not nearly as strong as they use to be.’ Communicated Artimas as his body resonated with heat.

“Look! I can barely make out a cave! Let’s stop in there!” Rainbow yelled.

“What did she say?” Rarity called out to Fluttershy, her scarf blowing heavily in the wind.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and trudged back behind the two ponies and Artimas. She shoved them in the direction of the icy cavern. They entered the short cavern and took up residence till the storm passed.

‘Thank you Rainbow Dash. Let me warm you all up, it will be easier without the wind.’ Artimas began to glow, a warmth emanated from inside him as he sat down in the center of the ponies.

Rarity helped Fluttershy push off some of the snow that stuck to her wings. Rainbow shook her whole body, replacing the snow on Fluttershy and adding more to Rarity. The two ponies glared at Rainbow with exasperation.

“Sorry.”

‘My antenna are shaking, young ones.’ Artimas informed them.

“Is it because you’re cold?” Asked Rainbow Dash.

‘It means they are close. Hopefully they will stay within the area long enough for the blizzard to simmer down.’

Rarity adjusted her scarf. “I certainly hope so.”

“Artimas, w-what do you think will happen to Myar?” Fluttershy asked.

He looked over to her with an indifferent attitude and flicked his tail. ‘That is up to Kai and Myar.’

“But what about the other firefoxes opinions? He destroyed your home, will they take kindly to that?” Rarity added to the questionnaire.

‘As the elder, I will pardon him if it is the horn that forced him to be the way he is. If it was his own actions, he may be forced out of the colony.’

Fluttershy responded in a low tone. “I hope it’s the horn. H-He really seemed, well, distraught. He could be mind controlled, like how he controlled you and Roshk. Maybe he didn’t want to destroy your home.”

“That reminds me, we need to find you guys a place to live! Twilight’s castle will be too crowded once we find all of your people.” Rainbow said.

‘We will need to be among the stars. The air here is too thick for us, if we stay our flames will be extinguished.’

“Woah, really!? Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go grab the last few furry balls of fire and get them back to Ponyville!”

“Rainbow’s right. If this is a matter of life or death then we shouldn’t be huddled up in a cave for long, we must reunite your kinsfolk.” Rarity added.

‘I thank you for your worry, but I will not put your lives in danger in exchange for ours.’ His face filled with sorrow and concern as it was obvious he truly cared for their safety.

‘Then it’s a good thing you won’t have to, old man.’ The mysterious voice rang out, startling the group of friends.

Four fluffy silhouettes entered from the stormy blizzard. Their heat showered the cave, quickly melting the icicles as they entered.

A firefox with white antenna crossed the threshold first, the remaining three followed behind with their purple antenna rocking up and down.

‘Miss me, dad?’