• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 476 Views, 7 Comments

Above the Fire Sky - TheTimeSword



While the mane six are enjoying a meteor shower, one meteor changes its course and lands in the Everfree. The group of friends rush after it to ensure the entire forest doesn't burn down, but what they find may be a new friend.

  • ...
1
 7
 476

Chapter 11: Kind Knight

‘So, why is it you wanted to travel with me?’ Kai asked with a tilt of his head as he stared up at Twilight.

They had been traveling by train south to Dodge City since early mornings light. Meeting up with Applejack and Pinkie Pie were their first objectives, but Twilight seemed to enjoy the company between just the two of them.

“Well, I wanted time to chat with you, just the two of us.”

‘Okay. I’m all ears.’ He fluttered his ears back and forth with a smile.

“I’m not sure what your brother has planned and I know we’ll do everything to stop him, but I’m also unsure how you firefoxes deal with your problems.” Twilight said as she stared up out the window.

‘I do not understand. Do ponies deal with problems in a different manner?’ His smile had faded, a serious talk was brewing and he could not grasp the reasoning behind it.

She turned back to look at him. “I’ve battled with many villains, some were saved some were not,”

Kai interrupted her. ‘A battle is one where a victor is decided, I will not let my brother win, Twilight.’

A shake of the head from Twilight. “All my fights have been victorious because of friendship, love, or just basic compassion for one another. Both words and actions have helped in different situations. When the time comes to take on Myar, remember that your heart will lead you to victory, not your strength.”

With a lean of his head he looked back out the window.

‘Princess Luna gave advice similar to that when we were at Canterlot. It’s nice to have so many friends that are wise beyond imagination. I believe that even Artimas could learn a thing from you two.’

“I’m as wise as Princess Luna? You have no idea how flattering it is to hear that.” A wave of humbleness washed over Twilight, her face bright red.

Kai turned back to Twilight with a serious look on his face, something she had never seen during his stay in Equestria.

‘Twilight, regardless of the outcome, I have something to ask of you.’

“What is it?”

‘Keep your friends safe. You should care for them before me or my kind.’

She stared deep into his determined eyes with mouth agape before giving a frown. “Kai…”

‘Please, Twilight.’

“Okay. I’ll keep my friends safe.” She said, then she grabbed and pulled Kai into a hug. “I’ll keep all of my friends safe, including you.”

‘Twilight… That’s… Thank you.’ He replied as he wrapped his paws around her, a gloomy smile spread across his face.


“Oh think nothing of it darling, I’ve held heavier bolts of cloth on my back compared to you.”

‘Still, I thank you for your generosity. These old bones aren’t meant for flying like they use to be.’

Rarity trotted around the clouds with Artimas on her back, looking for any sign of the firefoxes of Cloudsdale. Rainbow Dash had already flown off to search the area, while Fluttershy stayed behind with Rarity, Roshk sitting happily on her back.

‘I must also thank you Fluttershy. You two have been most kind.’

“Oh no, it is my pleasure, honest.” She replied with a smile that was mostly covered by her mane.

Artimas’ antenna rocked back and forth in a constant motion as they roamed around Cloudsdale in search of the firefoxes. Other ponies stared as they passed by. Rarity was unsure if the stares were for her, a unicorn amongst the clouds was a rare sight, or for the strange furry creatures that resided on the two ponies.

“It’s nice to be the center of everyponies attention, isn’t it Fluttershy?” Rarity said with cheer.

“N-not r-really.” The shy pony responded.

“Hrkshl!” The small firefox said to Fluttershy as he rubbed his face against the back of her neck. While the words were not comprehended, the sentiment was not lost on her as she was happy to assist even with the gawks they were receiving.

A loud scream came from the distance, alarming the group of friends as they searched Cloudsdale.

“Well, there’s our cue I would assume.” Rarity said as they rushed off to the screaming.

Rainbow Dash had already arrived at the shop from which the screams were coming from. Pegasi had gathered outside to watch the commotion she was causing as the store owner hollered in despair.

“The flying rats have returned! We’re all doomed!” The shop keep bellowed before fainting onto a cloud.

“I’m not here to hurt you! Just calm down!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

The skittering bright orange creatures knocked over pots and paintings that were on display amongst the store. Rarity and Fluttershy arrived on the scene just in time to witness the smashing of a large painting as Rainbow flew into it.

“Rainbow Dash! Calm yourself!” Rarity called to her as she looked around for the furry arrivals.

Rainbow rubbed her head as she sat with the painting around her neck. “I am calm! I tried to talk to them but they wouldn’t listen!”

Both Fluttershy and Rarity looked around the store in search of the two creatures.

“C-Come out little guys. If you want to, I mean.” Fluttershy pleaded as she searched with Roshk.

‘It is I, Artimas, please do not be alarmed.’

He raised his body up off of Rarity and into the air, brightening his coat in both warmth and color, a feeling that could be felt even outside the store.

The two firefoxes that had caused so much damage crawled out from behind a painting that lay against the corner of the room.

‘A-Artimas?’ One of them called out.

The blue antenna’s perked slightly as it flew up and hugged onto Artimas, with the other following suit.

‘It’s so good to see you elder!’

Rarity and Fluttershy smiled at the reunion. Rainbow worked to get free of the painting that still held around her neck.

“A little help here?” Rainbow Dash called out.


“Ah sure am glad you brought Kai along Twilight. Though it does sound mighty interestin’ to meet this Artimas y’all talked about.”

‘He is very wise, he used to be my master before I grew too old.’

“There’s so many new friends, which means so many parties once we get back to Ponyville! I’m going to run out of supplies!” Pinkie exclaimed, hopping up and down as they walked.

The four friends had reached the treacherous path into the Badlands. It sat on the southern edge of Equestria, an area that remained untouched by pony-kind. As they climbed to the top of the path, they looked out at the barren waste in front of them.

“Wow, we’re supposed to find how many firefoxes here? It’s going to be like trying to find a frosted muffin in a pile of cupcakes!”

Twilight started down the rocky trail into the arid wastes, with the others soon following behind. They wandered along the stone trail for a bit as Kai tried to locate his kin using the antenna atop his head.

“Ya know, this place could be really good for farmin’ an apple orchard, or any tree fer that matter.”

‘I am enjoying the heat at least.’

“You may be the only one, Kai. I don’t know about you girls but I really wish Rarity had come along with a few parasols.” Twilight responded as she stopped to wipe her sweat filled brow.

The barren plains had very few landmarks in it other than rocky plateaus that sprung up like stalagmites from the ground, forming mesas around the harsh land.

Kai’s antenna jingled for a moment, halting immediately. ‘I think there may be something close.’

The three ponies stopped and looked at Kai to see if the antenna would move once more. As they stopped they could feel a vibration below their hooves, drawing closer and closer.

“Y’all feel that? Ah don’t suppose that’s them is it?”

‘I don’t think so.’ Kai responded.

“Ohhh! Maybe it’s the valley welcoming us!” Stated Pinkie as her body shook with the tremors.

Twilight looked out into the flatlands to see anything. The sky was growing into dusk, but even with the remaining light she could not see anything but the brown cracked soil in the distance.

“Ah think somethin’ is comin’ fast! Look!” Applejack said as she pointed in the direction they had entered the valley. A cloud of dust quickly approached them from the distance.

“RUN!” Twilight yelled before taking off.

Kai flew up and landed on Applejacks back as she rushed in the same direction as Twilight.

‘Head for one of those peaks! Maybe they can’t get up there!’ He suggested.

The ponies reached the bottom of a plateau and began to climb as the dust cloud vibrated towards them. Twilight flew up, landing on a ledge that protruded from the mesa. She then lifted Pinkie up onto the ledge using her magic. Kai floated his way up to the ledge as Applejack waited her turn.

Just in the nick of time, Applejack was pulled up to safety by Twilight’s magic. Two snake like creatures glided out of the rocky earth and slammed into the side of the plateau in an attempt to grab Applejack.

“W-What are those things!?” Applejack yelled in fear as she stared down at the impending doom.

“They looked like Serpentinites! I’ve never seen one up close, let alone run from one.” Twilight responded as she made sure everyone was okay. “It doesn’t look like we’ll be able to travel much further for today. They’ll probably leave us alone by morning. This mesa should be mostly stone compared to the gravel and earth below, so they shouldn’t be able to climb the sides.”

Kai looked at Twilight and asked, ‘What is a Serpentinite?’

“They are a snake-like creature made of sedimentary rock. They’re about the size of your average pony at adulthood. I’m not sure of anything more than that, not much is written about these creatures.”

‘I can see why.’

“I grew up on a rock farm, but I’ve never heard of anything like rock snakes. That’s loco in the coco if you ask me!” Pinkie added.

Applejack looked around above and below the ledge they stood upon. “Hey Twilight, there looks like a cave up on that ledge. That could give us some shelter if we’re going to be up here till the morn.”

Kai flew up to the ledge with Twilight on his heels. “Alright, I’ll lift you guys up here one at a time, hold on.” She said as Kai entered the cave. The light spread from him, erasing the darkness of the cavern. He continued for a small distance as Twilight raised Applejack to the ledge.

A fork in the tunnel spread off in two different directions, but he could feel his antenna shake as he drew close to one side. Applejack followed him into the cave but only slightly.

“Kai, don’t go too far ya hear? Let’s wait for Twilight and Pin-“

Before she could finish he had started to run down the left side of the fork.

“Consarn it! Kai!” She yelled out, chasing after him.

Twilight finished lifting Pinkie up onto the ledge. “Thanks Twilight!” She said as they both trotted into the cave.

“Kai? Applejack?” Twilight called out as they reached the fork in the road. “Oh no. Which way could they have gone? They were just here!”

Pinkie Pie started to head down the left tunnel. “Pinkie wait! We don’t know which why they could have gone. We shouldn’t split up even more.”

“Oh come on Twilight. Do you want to get us lost? This isn’t like one of those story tales of two groups getting lost in a cave and being horribly eaten. Let’s go!” She skipped away from Twilight down the left tunnel.

Twilight simply shrugged and followed after her, chalking it up to one of her ‘Pinkie Senses’.

Following along with Pinkie, they both finally came across a bright light down the tunnel. “See! That must be them.” Pinkie stated.

Upon entering the large cavernous room they were greeted by a blindingly bright light. They shielded their eyes as they adjusted to the rays of light.

“Twilight! Pinkie! We found ‘em!” Applejack said with a grin from ear to ear.

“What? Who?” Twilight asked, finally lowering her foreleg from her face.

Four firefoxes sat crowded around each other, cuddling and embracing one another. It wasn’t difficult for the ponies to tell which one was Kai, as the firefox of the same size had pink antenna, while the others were much larger than him but had black antenna.

‘Friends!’ Kai scampered over to the three ponies. ‘This is my mother, my father, and Keeko.’