• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 915 Views, 7 Comments

The Last Dreamer - Mlpfimguy



Have you ever felt like life is a dream? Well, what if it is?

  • ...
5
 7
 915

Bad Feeling

Chapter 2

Bad Feeling



''Ouch!''

Suddenly, all too familiar pain came rushing back to me. I quickly found the main source of my pain, I seemed to have been cut in my stomach where my cancer apparently was. Another very likely cause of the pain were these damned tubes that were shoved carelessly up my muzzle without my permission! They were hurting me, but they were most likely used to help me breathe during the operation. I turned my head and looked towards the side of the room where a window was just starting to let the morning light bleed into the room, lighting it up with a soft orange glow. The next thing I happened to notice was a doctor sitting on a chair on the other side of the hospital room.

He was... crying? Yes. That same doctor who looked angrily at me was crying, but what could he be crying about? Only one thing was certain at the time; he must have not known that I was awake yet, otherwise he would not have been crying like he was.

Right, doctor crying... that's cool I guess, and trust me; I won't bore you with any more of this. So I was a bit worried being around him, and I had a bad feeling. A wise person once told me that you should never base your arguments on feelings, but this was different... he was really giving me a bad feeling. For the moment, it felt better to pretend like I was still asleep and not alert him of my conscious presence. All I had to do was stay still and not make a noise. Easy, right? I mean, how could it not be?

It wasn't.

I'm a pony that happens to move a lot in my bed. Be it because of my ADHD or not, I move many times while I'm still awake to try to get into a comfortable position, after a while, it ends up feeling not as good. That was exactly what was happening. The position I was in was starting to drive me nuts, but I had to do my best to keep quiet while not hurting my body by turning too fast. I had to plan this out wisely; I had to move quietly and find the best position, so I would not have to move again. To shorten it up, I tried to sit up, and I felt a lot of pain, so I made a loud sound. As much as I wished that this was like a movie, (where the doctor is an idiot and doesn't hear anything) it wasn't. This of course alerted the doctor who almost immediately rushed to my side. I was getting confused.

''What's the matter?'' I asked him. ''Is there something...?''

''Shhh,'' he interrupted. ''Don't worry! You don't need to worry. Neither do I, in fact.''

''Ooookay... so before passing out, I heard something about a cancer, and I've been cut, then sewed back in the stomach, so should I assume it's gone now? What's the result? Was is successfully removed? It was, wasn't it? So when can I be expected to leave? Later this week or something? That sounds pretty good to me, you know?''

His lips were shaking as if debating what to say. His face wore a mixed expression of pain and confusion. You could tell he was trying hard to hide it.

''Well...'' he started. ''the truth of the matter is far worse than I had originally thought. The cancer seems to be rather close to your lung, and it seems to have grown quite a bit in size. Had I proceeded with the operation, I could have removed a piece of your lung or heart, it was much too risky to do the operation so close to your vital organs."

''You've got to be kidding me! That totally sucks!''

''I also thought that I had lost you for good last night. You lost control of all your bodily functions. You weren't even breathing for a time, and the tumour seemed to have doubled in size!''

''Whoa, whoa, whoa!'' I was getting even more confused. ''You just told me that it was cancer, now you are telling me its a tumour, stop playing with me here!''

''If it is what I think it might be, then it might be simpler to remove than I thought...'' the doctor attempted a smile.

''What the buck?! You just said it was too close to remove! Cut it out!''

''Look'' he took off his glasses and stared giving me a serious look.''Let's try to get along here and not make this harder than it has to be. You and I both know very well the cause of all of these problems.''

''You have no right to threaten me! What are you even talking about anyway? If you know something that I should, then you have the right to enlighten me, otherwise you are wasting everypony's time!"

The doctor's patience ended there. ''You have no authority in this hospital, nor do you have the right to demand me what to do. All I know is that I have my ways of getting information, and one way or another, I will get it.''

''Information? I was asking you for information! I-ugh! I don't even understand what you want from me!'' I yelled.

''Tell me about last night. What did you do and how did you do it?''

''I don't know!'' I yelled. ''Give me a minute to think!''

''Alright, I see no point in wasting my time with you any more. You want to do this the hard way, then by all means, let it be so.'' he fixed his coat and rebuilt his posture, then he gave me a disturbing smile. ''I'm afraid that I am going to have to perform some advanced and complicated tests. You will be relocated to another area of the hospital. Now of course, I do need proper permission.''

"If that's the case, then no!'' I attempted to rebuild my posture to mock him, resulting in my body yelling at me in pain.''Permission is not granted! I do not trust you at all, I am not being relocated and most certainly not with you! I would like to see another doctor!''

''Oh yes, I'm sure you would. But, oh, look here! It seems that, unfortunately, you are not of legal age to make decisions of this great importance.'' he shot me another mean grin and pulled out a few papers from the drawer. ''Oh, how interesting... in this case, it would be up to the parents to decide. Who wouldn't want what's best for their little daughter?''

''I- what?''

''Such a shame, I really did not want it to have to come to this...''

''Why are you doing this? I'm confused as to what's even going on!''

''I'm a very patient doctor, and because of that I will give you one last chance to explain to me, in detail, what you did last night. If you tell me this then I can remove this and- yeah...''

''I... I don't know.'' I replied softly.

''Thank you.'' he smiled and placed his hand on my shoulder. ''You just made the whole process a hell of alot easier.'' he shoved me down with his hand and made his way to the door He literally shoved me down! ''I will now bring your parents in. I'll be right back."

Okay, so now I was freaking pissed. It may have seemed like he had good intentions, but he was so desperate to get this irrelevant information, and then he shoved me because of it! There was certainly more to it then what he was saying. I did not trust him, if I even could trust him from the start. All of this was just because of some stupid thing that I had done after I fell asleep? Did he mean my dream? I could hardly remember it, what could have been so important about that? The dream felt more like a distant memory, and this could have been exactly what the doctor wanted to know. All I knew was that I did not like this doctor, and that was good enough reason for me not to tell him, at least for now. I felt like this whole hospital was like a rigged prison. I felt no safety, not anywhere near here at least.

That was when I made my decision, I would escape this rat-hole of a hospital, whether or not my body felt right. It had to wait for later though as my parents would be entering in with the doctor. Just then, the door opened and I was ready to explain.

''Hello again, Elegance.'' he said in a professional voice.

''Ooooooh! How's my little sweetheart?'' My mother asked me. ''Is that bad cancie poo-poo out of you?''

''Actually mother, this doctor was just about to-''

''Miss Mary Lavalière, it's good to finally meet you in person! As your daughter was going to tell you, I have important news about her.''

''Oh?'' she asked. ''Is she okay? Will she be all right?''

''That last one is entirely up to you.'' he continued. ''As it seems, there is carcinoma found on her pulmonary system. This may cause problems with consciousness at times, and I fear that it may become worse if not treated immediately. Tell me, have you noticed any unnatural stillness after Élégance has fallen asleep?''

''She does appear to be rather still, I thought it was normal and never really gave it much thought. Actually yes, she is really still, now that I think about it. It's kind of odd.'' she replied.

''How interesting...'' he grinned at me. ''Is there anything else you notice?''

''Wait.'' she paused for a second to think. ''Nope.''

The doctor's face changed, almost as if he had been beaten by a monster, and that was more or less true. Regardless, he still had his cards to play.

''So I actually need your permission to relocate her to a different area of the hospital to have a slight problem fixed. The operation cannot begin until the problem is resolved. I would've asked her for permission, but she's not old enough to make such a decision. All I need is your approval.''

''No!'' I yelled. ''Don't do it!''

''Think about it.'' the doctor said in defence. ''I know that we might not get along too well, but just think... if this is not resolved, she will die. I know that a good and responsible parent such as yourself would never allow that to happen to their daughter.''

Both, me and the doctor waited for a response from her. Finally, she came up with the solution.

''I'm sorry, but he's right... I'm sure there's a good reason why you don't want to be moved, but I can't toy with your life like that. I'm willing to try whatever it takes to help you.''

I just stared at her, eyes wide open. How could she possibly trust him over me? Her own daughter!

The doctor smiled. ''It is done.''

''But!''

Me and the doctor looked up at her in surprise.

''If,'' she continued. ''she is injured or worse, then you'd better get ready for a world of hell and believe me, if it's not available, I'll be the next-best thing!''

''You have nothing to fear.'' replied the doctor.

''Mom, where's dad?''

''Oh, well he's at work I think.'' she answered.

''What?!'' I yelled. ''I'm apparently at the verge of death and he goes to work?''

''Okay'' he stopped me. ''She's just feeling grumpy at the moment. You can't blame her really, but the best thing would be to let her go for now. I'll call you if anything of urgence happens. In fact, this is the number to call to reach the room we will be relocating her to.''

Without warning, the doctor handed her a card, then quickly opened the door and motioned for her to exit. She was hesitant, but she ended up leaving soon after. The doctor then softly closed the door, then turned to me, he was giving me that same evil grin from before. Finally, after an awkwardly long pause, he spoke to me.

''How does it feel, now that you know that even your own family has abandoned you?''

''Let's just skip to the point. Why do you want to know about last night?''

''To heal you of course.''

''Why else?'' I asked more demandingly.

''There is no other reason.''

''That's horse crap!''

''That's disgusting imagery, but it won't change the fact that what I'm saying is true! I know what I want for you!''

''Why is this more important that the tumor?'' I asked.

''I guess you'll soon find out, in the meantime I'll be setting up your new room. It looks like shit, smells like shit, it might as well be shit. How's that for imagery, that is what you wanted isn't it?'' he chuckled, then left the room; this immediately began my escape plan.

I sat up straight, despite my body screaming at me not to. The first thing that I needed to do was to get rid of these tubes shoved up my nostrils. I should have removed them slowly, but in my moment of panic and with my focus being nothing more than to escape, I just took a deep breath and yanked them out as hard and fast as I could. They came accompanied with blood. My body immediately reacted from the pain, and now my nose was furiously emitting blood all over the place.

After the pain started to die, I gathered up the nerve to continue my plan of escape. Instead of getting up, I knew I was too weak to do that, so I decided that the best thing to do (or so I thought) was to roll off the bed and forcibly crawl my way to the door. It was one of those small rolling beds with a metal body with a black cushioned top and only a white sheet covering it. I rolled as close to the side of the bed as I could and hung my hoof over, preparing for the drop. That moment came much sooner than I had expected as the bed lost its balance and fell on its side, slamming against the ground, unfortunately crushing my hoof. Tears were streaming down my face. I almost screamed, but I knew that if I did, someone would find me, and the whole plan would be over, rendering all of my current pain and efforts useless. I pushed my face off the floor. My whole face was probably bruised, but I could not see myself to know, neither did I really care. All I know was my muzzle was probably broken. The blood was going down my throat while dripping down my face as well. I took a gasp of air and tried to force my hoof out from under the bed. I had no idea if it was broken or not, I highly doubted it, but I was not quite sure and the rest of the pain I was feeling made it not really matter as much. I used my other hoof to push the bed off enough to wiggle my trapped one free. It hurt the most when I got it out and the previously trapped blood started flowing through it again, luckily it did not look as bad as I thought it would. My further examination would have to come later, as I still had to go through with my escape. All of this unintended pain and blood loss was starting to make me light-headed and dizzy.

I tried to use my hurt hoof as least as possible as I crawled my way across the room. This event was so shocking because it was nothing compared to what I was used to. I felt like I wanted to throw up, but I also felt like I was about to pass out from the blood I was losing. I still managed to keep going and desperately kept trying to make my way across the room until I was close to the door. By this time, my vision was about to give. Through this, I still managed to see the door open and watch a shape walk in. There was no doubt about it, it as the doctor again. I hear him yelling at me and I knew at this point that I had lost and that my whole escape plan had failed miserably. All I managed to do was cause more damage to myself.

The next thing I saw was a slight light in the distance. It got bigger, then started to form shapes through it. It was something that looked like a room. I know! You'd think I'd be high on some crazy drugs or something to see that! I mean come on! A picture of a room forming on a circular light? I don't even know... It was like nothing I had ever seen before. I could see the end of a bed, a bit of a counter and a bit of the roof. What was strange was that this room seemed familiar, like I had been there before. What was even stranger was the fact that I was being pushed towards it by some invisible force behind me at a pretty fast speed. I was about halfway to this mysterious light when I felt a slight resistance pulling behind me as I was being carried forward. The resistance grew stronger until it started pulling me back, then the light disappeared and I was left to see nothing but black. So yeah, in the end I guess the whole point of this weird light was pretty much pointless.

I suddenly awoke in a strange place. The walls were metallic,rusty, and just as the doctor had implied, it looked like someone took a dump on his hoof, then smeared it all across the wall. I guess he was telling the truth about something. There were computers, disturbing anatomical posters on the wall and many confusing machines everywhere.

''Well, well, well. Look who finally chose to get up. Did you enjoy your dream?''

I looked around quickly and almost instantly found where the sound was coming from. THAT. BUCKING. DOCTOR.

''So,'' he started. ''How did you manage to do that much harm to yourself?''

''The stupid hospital bed lost balance and fell on my hoof.'' I replied.

He paused and looked at me. ''Did this lack of balance happen before, or after you pulled out the tubes from your nose?''

''What?''

''You ended up across the room. Don't deny it. You were trying to escape, weren't you?''

''Yes.''

''I knew it! And you accused me of lying abou- what you said yes? Oh,'' he coughed. ''At least you were honest. So on to the next thing. Why is your secret about what you do after you fall asleep such a big deal to you?

''ME making a big deal?!'' I yelled. ''It's only a big deal because you made it that way! You threatened me, shoved me and give me angry looks, and you expect me to tell you?! You're the one making a 'deal' about anything!''

''I did not 'shove' you I tried to lay you back down, it was done with more force than I intended, though. Also, you say I'm making it a bigger deal, yet it's apparently a big enough deal to you that you almost end your life because of an escape plan...'' he took a pause and sighed. ''One of your hooves were weakened after the fall, I put a cast on it to help it solidify.

''Wait for it!'' I thought.

''I also happened to notice that you were very still after you passed out, you were also starting to run out of breath. But that's not really important right now...''

''All right.'' I sighed. ''You win... you may ask me what you need to know. But can it wait until tomorrow?''

''Good, glad you finally understand the problem here. Sure, tomorrow we can begin the actual procedure and the excessive questioning. Before, however, I would like you to ask you one simple question. How did you do it?''

''You mean fall asleep, right?''

''Not exactly... I meant after that...''

I thought carefully about how to answer. That light that I saw, was that what he wanted? I chose to go the safe path and not tell him.

''You... you mean my dream?''

''No. Actually, sure, sure. Go on, tell me about your dream. Tell me as much as you remember.''

''By what I can remember, my friends came over; we helped with my friend's yard and went to an amusement park, and I rode an awesome ride.''

He wrote down something on his paper, then he spoke to me again.

''How much of the dream do you remember?''

''All of it. I'm pretty sure the reason I forgot earlier was because of the stress of the situation.'' I replied.

''Okay, because usually you never remember the full dream. Tell me, do you recall the name of these friends of yours?''

''Uhh...''

''Just take a guess.''

''Ss...Strawberry, and Lightning?

''Excellent. It's pretty late right now, so why don't you get some shut eye? This might also help me find the cause of this tumour growth after you fall asleep.''

''Fine...''

Even with the doctor in the same room as me, as freaky as that was, I still managed to fall asleep quickly. And as I had earlier that day after I passed out, that light was visible, and I was quickly advancing towards it. There was no turning back this time, but curiosity was getting to me anyway. I wanted to see what was on the other side, and I was quickly about to find out.

End of chapter