• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 849 Views, 24 Comments

I'll Smile in Your Absence - SpectrumPony



Pinkie meets a new friend who is a little strange.... Not strange like her, but still...strange.

  • ...
0
 24
 849

Chapter 1; New Friends

I'll Smile in Your Absence
Chapter 1

--
It was a calm morning in Ponyville. The kind of day that was perfect to go for a nice slow walk to school. That is exactly what the well known pink party filly, Pinkamena Pie, also referred to as Pinkie Pie, was doing.

“Hi there!” She would say cheerfully as she past other ponies, whether her age or not. The little filly happily trotted about, without a care in the world.

She stopped when she heard some voices in the distance. Galloping to the source, Pinkie was only a little surprised to see the familiar faces.

Pinkie could identify them as Garnet Strike, a young peach colored earth filly with a light lavender mane, a heart shaped garnet stone was her cutiemark, and Silver Symphony, a young light blue unicorn colt, with a white mane, a silver treble clef note surrounded by other musical notes was his cutiemark. They both surrounded a small shaking pale, cyan blue pegasus filly. Pinkie easily recognized this filly as the one who always kept her herself, and sitting alone at the back of the class. She had no cutie mark.

'Her name is...Angel Shine...I think.' Pinkie continued to watch the scene. 'She never really likes to be around anypony. I wonder if she has any friends.'

“Hey, Rag foal, what do you have for lunch today? Another yummy, plain lettuce and bread sandwich?” Garnet laughed. It was sad, but so very true. This little filly did look a little on the poor side. She wore a worn out looking vest, and her saddle bag was old and had a few holes in it. Pinkie was surprised that it still held together.

“...yes...” She said quietly, tears threatening to push past her lids. Her pure white mane was long, long enough to cover her eyes as she hung her head down and made quiet sobbing noises as the two continued to poke and make fun of her. Pinkie felt a rage build up in her.

“Hey! Leave her alone!” the pink filly said, running to them, shielding the young filly from the two other foals. “She didn't do anything to you two. Just go away or...or I'll tell the teacher that you're bullying a helpless foal who didn't do anything to you.” Pinkie struggled as she tried to threaten the two foals.

“Pfft. Whatever. Come on Silver, I bet Richie and Misty are waiting for us anyway.” Garnet flicked off Pinkie, and looked around her at the still trembling filly, “Let's play again soon, rag foal.” She sneered and flicked her over the nose with her tail as she turned away.

Silver and Garnet both trotted off, laughing. Pinkie huffed. She always hated it when somepony always seemed to upset her enough to get her out of her always cheery state.

“Th-th-thank you...” A quiet voice sounded behind her. Pinkie looked to the filly behind her, who squeaked and flinched, “Sorry...”

“What are you sorry for?” She asked, her voice kind and warm. Angel looked up at her and smiled, yet her eyes were still moist and glistening. Pinkie noticed that they were a lovely, rare silver color. “Don't worry about those guys. They always try to look down on other ponies. Don't let them think that they are better then you, cause they aren't.” Pinkie smiled down at her.

Angel got up, rubbing her eyes off. She scratched her fore leg awkwardly. After a few moments of Angel just standing, with Pinkie still looking and smiling at her, she decided to herself that she should leave. As she started to walk away, Pinkie ran ahead of her, stopping just a couple of hoof lengths away from her. “Hey, where you going?”

“U-um,” Angel looked at the pink filly in front of her with a confused look. No pony wanted to keep her around for too long, so she always left before they could tell her to get lost.

'This pink one is strange.' Angel thought, her eyes doubtful as she looked at the filly blocking her path, 'Maybe she just wants to keep me around to make sure that my guard is down, then she'll tell me to leave and never bother her again.'

“Do you want to play?” Pinkie asked, “Please? If I'm around, those other meanies won't bother you. Safer in a herd, you know what I mean?”

Angel sighed, but gave in. “Okay,”

“Yay!” Pinkie's cerulean eyes glimmered and she bounced ahead. Angel followed with a lot less enthusiasm.

“So...what are we doing then?” Angel asked quietly.

“Hide and seek! You go hide, I'll come and find you.” Pinkie brought her head down to the grass, “1...2...3...4...5...6-”

Angel looked around, and spotted a large tree. Fluttering her wings furiously, she slowly made her way up the tree, though she stumbled in the air when her untrained wings would lock up on the way to the closest branch.

As she settled on the branch, she watched as Pinkie stopped counting and galloped off. Away from where she was hiding, 'I swear...if she just did this to ditch me-'

“I found you!”

Angel shrieked and jumped in surprise at the voice above her. She actually jumped far enough that she fell of the branch.

Well, she WOULD have fallen off the branch. If Pinkie Pie had not managed to grab a hold of her tail.

“Whoamph-” Pinkie mumbled around her tail hair. “Sormy m'bout that!”

As Pinkie hauled her back up to the branch she was surprised at how light Angel was. She was small, but...Pinkie has actually picked up and carried heavier baby foals.

“I-it's okay.” Angel collapsed on the branch, her eyes wide and her body shaking, “L-let's just get off this thing.”

Spreading her wings, she jumped and glided down the tree, falling with a little thump on the grass. Just as she was about to help Pinkie by guiding the way down, she was stopped when Pinkie suddenly jumped straight down. Landing with a loud thump, one of her forelegs buckled under the impact with the ground and send her into a tumble roll, where she rammed right into Angel.

'Wh-wh-whoa!” Angel yelped as they rolled across the school yard. All Pinkie could do was giggle and giggle.

“Hee-hee-hee!” Pinkie chirped, her blue eyes rolling about comically, “Wowie! That was sooo much fun! Let's do it again!”

Pinkie quickly jumped off of Angel, bouncing about happily while the other filly laid on the grass, “N-no! Ooh...Why is the world spinning?” Angel looked up into the sky as she tried to focus on one of the three spinning clouds in her head.

“Okay foals! Time for class!” A mare said when she appeared from inside of the school. She was a very pale yellow color, with a darker golden mane. She had green eyes.

The foals laughed as they galloped into the school. Pinkie helped Angel to her feet and walked with her inside, as she was still a little dizzy and would easily keel over if she didn't have some sort of guidance.

“Um...Thank you, Pinkie.”

“No problem, Angel.”
---
The bell rang indicating that school was over for the day. The Teacher walked outside with her class to wave them off. “Bye! Have a safe trip home children!” She would call to the foals. Angel was walking alone, but that was cut off short when Pinkie Pie stopped and ran back to walk next to her.

“Hey Angel, do you want me to walk you home?” Pinkie asked, smiling at the filly.

“No, I'm fine. My mother will be missing me if I don't get back to quickly.” Angel's ears twitched as Pinkie lowered her head. “Um...but...Okay. You can walk with me until we get to the cross way.”

Pinkie Pie instantly brightened up. “Okay!”

The two fillies talked idly as they walked along the dusty, narrow road. As they walked on, the cross way started to come into their view. They stopped as they came to it, and Angel turned to the opposite direction that Pinkie's farm was in.

“I'll see you tomorrow Pinkie,” Angel said, galloping down the dusty, then turned around to look at her, “See you later!”

The pink pony watched as her friend started to disappear into the distance. She smiled to herself, then trotted away happily.
--

What do you think? Good? Bad? Horrible? Never-want-to-read-this-again bad? I know...I'm sorry :( I'm an artist, not a writer.

I'm sure this will only be 3 chapters long. Maybe 4 if I have to separate anything. I'll try and make the next chapter longer.