• Published 18th Apr 2016
  • 823 Views, 19 Comments

Last Great Mysteries - blazejuddernaut



Rainbow Dash has an opportunity to meet her hero. But why has she bothered to come to Canterlot High?

  • ...
2
 19
 823

Brunch

“Hello. No one is available to take your call. Please leave a message after the tone.”

“Hi. I’m leaving this message for a Ms. Rainbow Dash, it’s Deathtrap Daisy from the crew of—”

Rainbow Dash grabbed the phone from its mount but failed to stop her own momentum from the dead sprint she engaged in to reach it. Luckily the damage was mainly just to the wall and her shoulder rather than the phone. “Daisy! It’s Dash.” Her introduction was interrupted by a round of deep breath. “I made it to the phone in time.”

“Right. I was calling to see if you and your friends would be willing to do another meeting.”

Barely after Daisy was finished with the request, Rainbow was ready with reply. “Of course! What did you want to talk about?”

“More about the investigation. We wanted to get you all talking together with a few other witnesses we met.”

Rainbow’s enthusiasm was dampened when she realized that it had to be about that. It made sense though. How could she complain?
“Sure. Sounds good. Where did you want to meet?”

“Canterlot Library. Tomorrow. 1100 hours. We’ll bring bagels and coffee. We also invited a few other people who went to your school also. Adagio, Aria, and Sonata. Do you know them?”

“They don’t ring a bell. I’m sure I’ll know them when I see them.”

And know them she did when Rainbow, Sunset, and Applejack arrived at the library program room. Three no-good faces practically ignored their looks of shock in favor of relaxing next to Daisy, Daring Do, Blazing Banner, and Constable Courage.

Adagio stoop up with a pseudo-warm “Hi besties!” The three sirens walked over to give their enemies three big disingenuous hugs.

Each of the girls escaped there rigid silence. Sunset was the first to say something. “Hi… You. How has it been?” Being a seasoned villain, Sunset knew to play the game. Rainbow however…

“Why the… you… you’re…”

“So excited to see you again!” finished Sonata, almost sincerely.

“Aww that’s adorable. Let’s get started. Bagels on the table if you’re interested.” Daisy was mildly amused by the odd meeting before her. “Let’s talk about the lights. I want you to outline your experiences. Paint a picture for us.”

Applejack started in the hopes to set a safe start for the conversation. “It wasn’t anything phenomenal. It could’ve been a comet or something.”

“But Applejack. We were freaking out. It was a huge light. Like a second moon,” added Adagio, intentionally exaggerating the situation.

Among the questions ringing throughout poor AJ’s head, how they knew her name took a back seat to why they were playing up the battle.

Sunset tried to retaliate. “We weren’t freaking out. It was just a crazy night.”

“You’re darn right it was a crazy night. It was like the end of the world.”

“I’m obliged to be skeptical for this sort of thing, Adagio, but you weren’t on that magic stuff were you?” Questioned Daring.

It was the sirens turn to be uneasy now.

“That’s not a thing,” said Aria as if they weren’t anywhere near the truth.

A prolonged pause stood stagnant over the room. Sonata didn’t like those. “Yeah. That’s not a thing.”

The three Rainbooms did not seem to know what to do. The surprise was enough, now they had to figure out their plan.

“Uhhhh… moving on then,” began Daring Do to put the final dagger in the silence. “I think we need to get something straight. None of you can be lying here. As of now, that is no longer an option for any of you. If there is something other than some preternatural phenomena going on and you knew it. There are serious consequences. Very serious.”

A simultaneous “Yes ma’am” came from both parties.

“Great. Let’s get back to event description then.”

Adagio started first to assert her dominance over Sunset, who was about to speak. “My sisters and I think that it was a big light. So powerful we could feel its energy.”

The three girls trying to keep the secret recognized the truth in this statement and sadly, to keep the Daring from thinking that they were lying, Sunset decided to go along with it. “Yup. As crazy as it sounds, that’s pretty close.”

“Adagio, you said you could feel it. Like heat?” Questioned Banner, who was all business in this context.

“Yeah, there was plenty of heat. Right girls?”

Banner thought on this for a second. “Daring we should bring in the ground crew on the school and base ourselves here for the next couple of weeks. This sounds like an atypical close encounter of the second kind. Those are rare enough that we can’t gloss over this with some quick interrogations and a proof of concept test. I recommend soil tests, get the Geiger counters, the whole enchilada.”

The Rainbooms didn’t like this idea at all, but the Dazzlings looked to be somewhat thrilled about this call. “Don’t forget the EMF meters,” chimed Sonata in a moment of surreal expertise on her part.

Daring looked at Banner. “You’ve really never seen a story like this before?”

“Not in the case of an already mass sighting, and never in the US from a group bigger than what can fit in a pickup.”

Daring shifted to the three human girls. “You can corroborate?”

Moment of truth for the girls. Rainbow was thinking of scenario one. What if they find nothing and her hero sees her as a liar? Applejack was on scenario two. What if they found the portal? What could happen to the world? Sunset was thinking about the third and most dangerous scenario. What was the sirens plan?

Reluctantly, Sunset was the first to say something. “What they said checks out. I felt the heat, saw the light. I was just worried you’d think we were crazy.”

Banner could understand. “You don’t have to feel that way in here. We’re all a little crazy here.”

As for the Dazzlings, this was all that they needed to hear. “It was great getting together with you guys but we really have to go about now, Sonata has an appointment and we all took the same car.”

“Are you sure you can’t stick around for just one question?” asked Sunset sorely wanting to deduce a little bit more about their motives.

“Nope. Very urgent. Catch up later,” they were out the door.

Adagio uttered a sigh of relief upon entering the girls’ Audi. The other two jumped in after a quick dispute for shotgun.

“Aria, did you check out their car?”

“Hyundai Equus. Tinted windows. It’s one of those cars they like to armor. Wouldn’t be surprised if they had important things in there. If not, the pendants.”

“Sonata, what were you able to get out of mustache?”

“Well his name is Constable. He likes cricket. He really didn’t want to be there.”

Adagio half expected a response like this. “About the pendants, Sonata.”

“Oh right. He said they were with the other ‘junk’ in the Renaissance downtown. I asked him if they used steel suitcases like in the movies and he said yes but that it was actually aluminum.”

“Fantastic. We’ve gotten into hotel rooms without issue befo—”

Adagio was paralyzed by a knock at the window. Sunset, Rainbow and Applejack stood at the door, eager for a confrontation. Adagio would have none of it. The sirens sped off without hesitation. No need to fight when they didn’t need to.

Author's Note:

I envisioned the sirens in driving an Audi. I despair that I can't think of a particularly good villain car. What car would extradimmensional enchantresses drive?