• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 678 Views, 16 Comments

Of Silver Scales - Axelflames



Granted a chance to never be bullied again, I jumped at it, not thinking of how it would change me.

  • ...
8
 16
 678

A Brand New Centurion

I opened my eyes, to see trees above me. Bright light streamed through the red and gold leaves. I then noticed the headache, and all around soreness. “I must have had to much of the sugar. I really should stop drinking that stuff.”

I rolled to my feet, and went to brush myself off, when I caught sight of it. A claw, right where my hand should have been. Not only was it a claw, but it had scales on it. Silver scales. I looked at my arm in general, yep scales there too. I looked down at my feet, to find I was covered in scales. The weird part was the white section going right down my stomach, but still I had scales. I almost started freaking out about this. When I heard something behind me. I turned only to trip over something. I landed on my back and looked down at my feet to see what tripped me.

“Oh crap. I have a tail.” It was a glorious tail too, long and reptilian, with the silver scales, and a white, um, crap. I had forgotten what the flair thingy at the end of the tail was called. I rolled over and reached my hands back to see if the white crest went all the way up my back. Then about halfway up, I hit them.

Things that felt like powerful arms, with skin stretched between them. I then remembered the soreness from earlier. I tried to locate where it was coming from. Yep it was the things on my back. I tried moving the muscles, to no result. I then tried to move them as hard as I could, and found myself lifted off the ground.

I was flying! Too bad I was flying backwards, in a forest. I really hate trees.


After a few more failed attempts to fly, I finally came up with my best idea yet. Get up really high first, then try to fly. “Now where is a tall tree? Ah, that one looks good!” The tree in question had a trunk about as wide as a limo. It stretched towards the sky, and didn't seem to stop after hitting the clouds. After finding a large patch of grass, and making sure I had enough padding underneath me to stop any unplanned falling, I started up the tree.

Something interesting about dragons, they can climb really well! Those claws, when small, can really sink into the wood quite easily. The trip up was quite easy, until I hit the cloud cover. The foggy inside of the cloud enveloped me rapidly, and I soon found myself wondering if going through the cloud had been a good idea. Shortly after that thought, all doubts as to whether it had been a bad idea vanished as my head broke through the clouds.

“Phew, thought that would never end!” I said, as I pulled myself farther up the tree.

“Dragon!” roared a voice, and I almost fell off the tree. My head whipped around, to see a pegasus swooping towards me, his body seeming to shine black and gold at the same time. It wasn't until he got closer that I could see that what I had thought was skin was actually armor. Black armor, with gold trim that covered his chest and flank. He held no weapon, but he didn't look like he needed one. His wings carried the same armor on them, and the end feathers appeared to be coated in the same armor. He shouted at me again from under his plumed, centurion like helmet. “Foul beast of the flame, I did not expect even you to be so foolish as to come here once again. Let it be known to all dragons that I will not spare those who harm those whom I have sworn to protect! For this second trespassing, I shall not let you off with merely the scratch I gave you earlier! Nay, for this, I shall send your body back to your clan, in pieces!” With that, he charged me.

Okay, I'm being attacked by a pegasus with an archaic speech habit and who can't tell the difference between me and another dragon. Crap, this doesn't bode well for me. That was as much as I could take the time to think before instinct set in. As he barreled towards me, I did the first thing that came to mind. I let go of the tree trunk. As I fell, I heard him hit the tree with a resounding clang. I also heard him roar as he set out after me. Then, as soon as my body hit the clouds, my wings snapped open. Holy crap, they worked! I sped off inside the cloud, waiting until a count of thirty five before flying above it again.

As I flew out, I felt my head connect with another being. At first, I thought I had run into my newest friend, the black centurion. However, the sight that now flew before me was not my armored foe. It was another pegasus, that much was certain. However, this was obviously a girl, if the mane was any judge. It fell down her back in a long braid, with two more braids framing her face. Her skin was a reddish brown, and her mane a pale yellow. She wore a black coat, with gold trimming on it, much in the same style as the armored pegasus. However, this all paled in comparison to her eyes.

At first, I would have said that she had no pupil, and that she was blind. After quick inspection, however, it became clear that her eyes were actually a pale white in color. This fascinated me and I continued to stare at her. Until of course, my armored enemy arrived.

“Away from my daughter you overgrown salamander!” He yelled. As he charged towards me at point blank range, I tried to think of some last words.

“Please, don't hurt me!” I screamed.

Yeah, I know. Not too manly, or dragonly as the case may be. But it got him to stop charging me. I then tried to come up with something really good to say that would keep him from ripping me apart with those wings of his.

“Father, didn't you leave a large scar on the dragon you fought yesterday? I don't see it on this one. Also, that dragon had white scales, not silver.” the reddish brown mare stated this all with a tone of curiosity, and interest. I almost shivered at her voice, because it was eerily similar to that of one of my Dungeons and Dragons friend's. Also, that friend was my ex-girlfriend.

“I see this too my dear, but I would not expect that this new dragon is acting alone. I suspect that my former foe is merely waiting for his chance to strike at us. I must be ever vigilant, and I fear that this is some new trick of dragon design.” said centurion flanks. Yep, that's his nickname now. Then I thought of something really clever.

“If I were here to have done anything bad to both of you, would I not have roasted you both where you stood? I have come to this grand height merely to explore the surroundings I find myself in. I seek no quarrel from you warrior, nor do I seek to harm your kin. I search for meaning in my own life, and answers as to where I am. However, I know better than to stay where I am not wanted, for I have garnered enough animosity to last myself a lifetime. Therefore, I shall take my leave of you. I trust you will allow me to leave in peace, despite your preference to it being in pieces.” I stated, drawing out my voice into the same high-class tone that I reserved for the Eladrin of my DnD games.

Oh yes! The looks on their faces ranged from shock to embarrassment, and the father looked even respectful! So glad that I had perfected my grasp of archaic speech patterns over many a tabletop game. I then turned and slowly spiraled down through the clouds, leaving the duo behind me. I had finally reached the air beneath the clouds, when the father flew in front of me again.

“I hope that you can accept my sincerest apologies for my actions against you. As much as it pains me to say it, I have grown somewhat paranoid of late as to the safety of my daughter. However, this is no excuse for my conduct, and I wish to rectify this. I ask that you be my guest this evening at my home, for the night in this area is dangerous to those it deemed newcomers.” He said. I nodded my acceptance of this invitation and began to follow him as he flew back towards the clouds. I was finally able to catch a glimpse of his cutie mark, a blazing sun with razor wings that stood out against his pale brown skin. “My name is Sunstone,” he said as we reached the clouds, “What's yours?”

My head reeled as I thought of a name, no way I was going to go by my birth name. Not as a dragon! Then I remembered my scales, and realized I could use my name, just add a little bit to the beginning.

“I'm Quicksilver, and I thank you once again for your hospitality.” I said. Then I smiled. Oh yeah, that was a perfect name for me now.