• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 1,731 Views, 40 Comments

Dancing in the Twilight - Mindpalace



Moon Dancer was content. Old friends back, getting new ones, having parties, all while still having her studies. But there's still something missing, in the form of the mare who made her realize that there's more to life than dusty old books.

  • ...
5
 40
 1,731

Large Libraries

In many ways, Moon Dancer was similar to Twilight. Physically, they shared a striking resemblance, from mane to tail, the only major difference being Moon Dancer's sweater, glasses, and the way she styled her mane, along with her colors. This resemblance was even more evident when one looked at their personalities. Both loved to learn, both were relatively introverted, and both had difficulty in handling strong or unfamiliar emotions. So when the Castle of the Two Sisters entered Moon Dancer's sight, her reaction was predictable.

Moon Dancer gasped. She had read about the Castle before, but she never thought she would have the opportunity to see it with her own eyes. Many history books spoke of the wonders the castle contained, from a massive organ to secret passages. It was a marvel of magic and a wonder of engineering. Even the architecture held stories from pony culture hundreds of years ago.

Twilight giggled slightly at Moon Dancer's awed expression. "Well, want to go inside?"

Moon Dancer nodded vigorously. She followed Twilight as the purple alicorn trotted up the stone steps and up to the massive oak double-doors. With a glow of purple light, the doors began to open. Twilight ushered Moon Dancer in and began to lead her through the castle. Though it was in ruins, the castle was still a sight to behold. The hallways were lined with tapestries that told of great battles and brave heroes. The architecture was one of the best Moon Dancer had ever seen. The entire castle had a sense of mystery about it, caused by the passage of time.

They stopped in front of another, albeit smaller, pair of doors. Twilight looked at Moon Dancer.

"I'm guessing you've read about the Castle?"

Moon Dancer nodded. "I have, a bit."

Twilight smiled. "Well, so have I, but there are a few things the books left out."

Slowly, Twilight opened the doors. The sight that lay beyond them left Moon Dancer breathless.

"For example, the library."

Moon Dancer's reaction was so similar to Twilight's reaction when she had first seen the library that it was almost comical. She looked around with a massive smile on her face. If she had wings like Twilight did, she would probably have been flying to see the higher up shelves.

"Wow! Look at all of these ancient books! It's a veritable gold mine of information!" she said, unknowingly quoting her marefriend. She looked around, seeing books she didn't even know still existed. There was even a section of Star Swirl the Bearded's works that weren't even available in the Royal Canterlot Library.

"I wanted to take you out on a date, and I remembered that we became marefriends because you invited me over to a study date, so I decided to bring you on a study date. Do you like it?" asked Twilight.

"Like it? I love it!" said Moon Dancer, running to Twilight and giving her a hug. Twilight smiled and hugged back.


Many ponies found reading boring or uninteresting. Not Moon Dancer and Twilight. Sitting next to each other, they had both been reading for a few hours now, and showed no signs of stopping. Both had different looks on their faces. Twilight had a soft smile on her lips, whereas Moon Dancer's brow was furrowed in concentration. It was peaceful. Then a thought struck Twilight.

Twilight looked up from her book and asked, "Moon Dancer, do you remember the night of our first study date?"

After a moment, Moon Dancer looked up from her own book. "Yes, why?"

"Why were you crying?"

Moon Dancer bit her lip. "You know how I confessed to you that day, right?"

"Yea."

"Well, I had originally planned to confess earlier than that. But I couldn't the words wouldn't come out of my mouth. I thought I had missed my chance. I thought I had failed." Moon Dancer looked down, afraid that Twilight would now see her as weak.

Twilight thought no such thing. She took her hoof and lifted Moon Dancer's chin up. "Moon Dancer, it's all right. Anypony would be afraid."

Then, much to Moon Dancer's surprise, Twilight quickly pecked her on the lips. "Besides, it all worked out in the end, right?"

Moon Dancer could only nod, busy trying to fight off the reddening of her cheeks.


After a few more hours of reading, Moon Dancer noticed that the room was dimming. She pointed this out to Twilight. "Hey, Twilight, It's getting dark. Where are we sleeping for the night?"

Twilight looked up. "Oh, yea. Grab a few books and follow me."

As they began to gather their things, Moon Dancer wondered where they would stay for the night. Thought the castle was clean and orderly, thanks to Twilight and her friends cleaning it up, it was still a ruin. They began to venture deep into the castle, and eventually they arrived in front of a regal looking set of doors. The door on the left was white and had a sun made of gold on it. The door on the right was a dark purple, with a crescent moon made of silver. Twilight opened the doors and they entered.

The room inside was magnificent. There were two massive beds, one on each side of the room, complete with pillows and blankets. The room itself was colored similarly to the doors, one side white and gold, the other side dark purple and silver.

"When we were fixing up the castle, Rarity saw this part and decided to give it a renovation. We should be fine here for the night."

After a few more hours of reading and a bit of conversation, both ponies decided to go to sleep. Twilight walked over to the bed on the left, and Moon Dancer to the bed on the right. They put out the candles with their magic and lied down, happy to rest for the night.


Moon Dancer's eyes darted left and right around the dim room. Thought Twilight had fallen asleep relatively quickly, Moon Dancer had a hard time not starting at every small noise. She had read many ghost stories, and many of those ghost stories were set in this very castle. She groaned, knowing that if she stayed awake any longer, she would be to tired in the morning to be able to focus on anything she was reading.

Sitting up, she looked at the steadily rising and falling shape that was her marefriend, as an idea came to her. She blushed at the thought, and she was pretty sure that it was socially unacceptable, but another small noise made her decision for her. She got up and walked over to Twilight's bed, laying down next to the purple alicorn. She thought for a moment and, throwing caution to the wind, put her hoof around Twilight, spooning her. She knew that this would be astronomically awkward when they woke up, but right now, the only thing that mattered was that she was sharing a bed with the pony she loved.

She fell asleep and dreamed pleasant dreams, Twilight's warmth comforting her throughout the night.