• Published 29th Dec 2015
  • 263 Views, 1 Comments

The Moon On Her Flank - RachanaRoxx



During the Cutie Mark Crusader's meeting, they are greeted my an unexpected guest. Experience the tale of how our beloved Princess Luna got her cutie mark.

  • ...
 1
 263

The Sick Alicorn

It was a week before Heartswarming, and I was loving it! The beautiful white snowy blanket covering every bit of ground as far as the eye could see. The cold gusts of wind in my face. The soothing atmosphere. It was perfect! I always liked the cold weather. It practically rejuvenated me. Celestia, however, could not say the same. She prefered warmer temperatures. I asked her if she would play in the snow with me, just for once. Although she hesitated, she agreed. She prepared herself, her body covered with over five layers of snow gear. I rolled my eyes and ran out into the snow.

We got back, and it was normal. But then a sound that was all too familiar during winter escaped Celestia’s mouth.

‘Ah-ah-AH---CHOO!’ Celestia sniffled, collapsing on her bed. I ran to get Mama and Father, who called the doctor.

‘Yup, she has got a cold and mild fever,’ said the doctor, ‘Don’t worry, Your Highnesses, the Princess will be fine. All she needs is a bit of rest. Just make sure she gets plenty of warm soup, and nothing cold. She will feel better in a few days.’

Mama thanked the doctor, who bowed and left. She checked Celestia’s forehead and stroked her hair. ‘There, there, sweetie. It will be alright. The doctor said that you will feel better in a few days.’ Mama kissed Celestia’s forehead and left with Father.

I stayed with Celestia, talking to her, reading stories to her and getting her whatever she needed. Anything she needed to feel more comfortable. I went to the kitchen to get her a glass of water, when I overheard Mama and Father talking in her bedroom.

‘What about sunrise?’ Father asked, sounding distressed.

‘Phoenix, Celestia is far too weak to do it tomorrow.’ Mama opposed

‘But missing even one day can off-set her progress. She needs to practice every day.’

‘Well too bad. You will just have to do it. Think practically. She is sick, and there is no way she will have the energy to lift a celestial body as big as the sun.’

‘You are right,’ Father said with a sigh, ‘I guess I will be raising the sun tomorrow morning.’

I thought about what this meant. I finally had a chance to prove myself. I looked at my flank, which told me the answer I wanted. I peaked into the room.

‘Mama? Father? Can I come in?’

‘Luna? Of course dear.’ said Mama.

‘Well, I overheard both talking about Celestia not being able to raise the sun tomorrow…’

Father raised an eyebrow.

‘...so, I was wondering if I could try. Raising the sun. Tomorrow.’

‘Luna?!’ Mama snapped, but quickly tried to hide her shock. She cleared her throat, ‘Luna, dear, why would you want to do that? You raise the moon every dusk.’

‘Yeah, but-’ I turned to Father,

I couldn’t read his expression, so I just crossed my hooves that he would agree.

‘No.’

My eyes flung open. ‘But-but why not?’

Father said nothing. Mama, realizing this, spoke for him.

‘Luna. Raising the sun will be too much for you. You aren’t ready.’

‘But I did perfect during the Lunar Rise!’

‘Luna...listen-’ Mama tried to say.

‘Celestia does it. Why can’t I?’

‘Celestia is-’

‘It is not fair!’ I barked.

‘Luna!’ Father finally said. ‘That is enough!’ He looked down at me, his eyes like the calm hiding the storm.

Tears escaped my eyes before I could even process what had happened. I open my mouth to speak, but I couldn’t even manage a squeak. I bolted out of the room and into my bedroom.

It wasn’t fair, I thought, why couldn’t I at least try?

I kneeled down next to Celestia and watched her sleep. She looked so peaceful, breathing so calmly like she was completely in control. Even a fever didn’t look to be bothering her. At that moment, I envied her more than I ever had.

Then it dawned on me. What I needed was to prove myself. What I needed was a plan. I had eight hours until sunrise. After two hours of strategizing, I had finally come up with a fool-proof plan: I was going to distract the King and Queen, and raise the sun while no one was looking.

I know, maybe not the best plan ever, but it would have to do.

An hour and a half hour until sunrise, and my heart was hammering at my stomach.

‘I can do this!’ I told myself, pacing back and forth, trying to push back the doubt.

I looked at sleeping Celestia, and imagined what she would be saying to me right now.

‘This is a bad idea.’ Celestia would say.

‘No it isn’t. It will work. And then Mama and Father will finally see how strong I am.’

‘Or it will destroy their trust in you completely.’

‘But if I don’t, I will never get another opportunity to show them how strong I really am. And maybe, I might even get my cutie mark!

‘But what if you fail?’

‘Well, I-’

‘And you know as much as I do that you won’t get your cutie mark like this.’

‘But I have to! Otherwise, what is my destiny?’

I glanced at the clock. 75 minutes ‘til sunrise. There is no turning back now, I thought with a sigh, time to put my plan into action.

I snuck into Mama and Father’s bedroom. Luckily, they were still asleep. I slithered in and turned their their alarm clock off. That will stop them from waking up, I hoped.

I crept away and ran to the balcony before I somepony caught me. I looked out and took in the entire scene. The blanket of white snow covering the brown soil. The stars twinkling like little jewels in the deep blue sky. I could feel the general peace in the cold air. I felt wonderful.

I didn’t have a moment to waste. It will be just like the Lunar Raise, I reminded myself. I took a deep breathe and concentrated my magic into my horn, and pointed it at the hidden sun. No problem!
Problem! Two second in and my plan already had a blunder. The sun was heavy! I had to pour in every drop of magic I could muster up just to make it budge, and now I had to guide it across the whole sky! The sun crawled across the sky, taking time I didn’t have. I needed it to move faster. I sped it up as much as I could, but I could feel my magic draining it fast. Suddenly, the sun stopped. I look up at it, and not even halfway to where it should be! I tried to resummon my magic, then realized I had drained myself of it all. Now I was panicking!

Come on, I pleaded to my horn, give me some magic!

Nothing. I sunk into my arms, ready to face Father. It was hopeless. Father would come any moment and see that I disobeyed him, and there was no telling what he was going to do to me! Worst of all, I failed. I couldn’t raise the sun, the one thing that could get Father to be proud of me, and prove that I was strong. I felt like nothing.

Suddenly, it felt warmer. At first, I thought that it was just my head inside my arms, but then my whole body felt warmer. Soon warm turned into hot. I looked up and couldn’t believe this was happening to me! Slowly, the sun was getting closer and closer! Without my magic holding it up and not staying on it’s path, it must have broken free from orbit!

I try again to summon my magic. A spark flew from my horn and gave me hope. I looked around me, and it was not looking good. The snow on the ground melted, animals sheltered themselves under trees, and the trees themselves looked like they were going to burst into flames! I had no time to lose. Quickly, I convert my remaining strength directly into raw magic, and once again shoot a levitation beam straight as the descending sun. It was still really heavy. I felt like I was carrying the sun on my shoulders, being crushed by it’s enormous weight.

Then it got lighter, like I was just relieved from a huge burden. I lift myself up and look directly above me, the sun exactly where it was suppose to be. I felt so proud of myself. I had actually done it.

Then a throat cleared behind me

My body stiffened, then froze completely. I willed myself to turn around, knowing very well whose angry face will be looking straight at me.

‘Luna!’ His voice was harsh and raspy, the kind of voice you do not want against you.

I dared myself to look into his eyes, but immediately regretted it. They were red as a burning flame, locked on mine like a target ready to be fired at. They say that the eyes show how somepony really feels, and right now, Father felt every word that was a synonym of “furious”.

‘Come inside. NOW!’

Inside, he was no calmer. Mama stood next to him. She didn’t look angry, but instead sad or disappointed. She didn’t even look at me in the eyes, which made it a million times worse.

‘Luna. You disobeyed a direct order. What do you have to say for yourself?’ Father stood high and mighty, as though I was on trial by the court.

I hung my head, only able to give a whimper as an answer.

‘Very well then. You leave me no choice. Luna, will not leave this castle until further notice. It is time you know your place here.’

I looked at Mama, who nodded her head with a clear message. He is right.

I wanted to say how sorry I was and explain why I had done it, but I knew better than to open my mouth. Besides, I wasn’t so sure why I had done it in the first place anymore. I ran to my room, flung myself on the bed and let the tears flow out.

How could I have been so stupid? I should have know that this was a bad idea. What else could have resulted from this? Father being proud of me? Proving that I was strong? Finally seeing where and how I belong? Yeah right. All I proved was that I am weak and out of control, without a place in Equestria.

I looked at my still blank flank. No sun. No moon. Just blank.

I dipped myself back into my arms, trying and failing to contain my emotions. A warm arm rested in my back and pulled me in. I look up and see Celestia’s comforting face, exactly what I needed to see. She didn’t ask me any questions, which made it a lot easier. I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to remember my dumb mistake. I just wanted to forget about it. Forget about today.