• Published 29th Dec 2015
  • 263 Views, 1 Comments

The Moon On Her Flank - RachanaRoxx



During the Cutie Mark Crusader's meeting, they are greeted my an unexpected guest. Experience the tale of how our beloved Princess Luna got her cutie mark.

  • ...
 1
 263

The New Princesses

Before my and Celestia’s rule, Equestria was ruled over my father and mother. My father, King Phoenix, was as high and mighty as they get. Not one, who saw him with his caramel coat and blood red mane, as well as the confident look in his eyes, could deny his title as a child of the sun. He was an alicorn of pride, holding his head high as dignities from other lands come to admire his kingdom.

My mother, Queen Tenebris, was of a different character. Her snow white coat with a deep blue mane was as beautiful as the starry sky itself. She was as beautiful as the night sky, and was painted her as an angel in the eyes of her subjects. She was gentle, kind, and patient with her citizens, but was no push-over, and was not afraid to get her hooves dirty. She rose the moon with elegance and grace.

It was a day of celebration across all of Equestria, the birth of their newest Princess, Princess Celestia. My father’s eyes sparkled as he looked to see his new daughter, a child of the sun. Equestria danced to welcome the arrival of the new Princess. But then something unexpected happened: They had me. More than that was the fact that I was a child of the moon.

‘But how can this be?!’, Father would argue, the same argument I’ve heard so many times before.

‘I don’t see the problem with this. The way I see it, we were blessed with both a child of the sun and moon.’ said Mama.

‘But it is tradition. Star Swirled the Bearded laid the prophecy down clearly!

“By every generation, born will be the children of the celestials. One, a child of royal blood and one of common blood. When the time comes, the two will take over the kingdom as King and Queen, keeping balance in our world”.

It is as simple as that. It is not even in some complicated rhyme. And now this second has ruined everything!’

‘Phoenix! Don’t talk that way about Luna. She is just as important as Celestia.’

‘Tell me this, Tenebris, who will rule Equestria after our time is done?’, Father questioned.

‘Well…’ Mama hesitated,’...I suppose Celestia and Luna will’

‘And after them? Who will carry down our royal blood?’

Mama said nothing. She knew that in a way, Father was right.

Father and Mama raised us, teaching us how to be Princesses and fulfil our duties as rulers of Equestria. Father taught Celestia the mightiness of the sun, while Mama taught me the majesty of the moon.

Every night, she would take me onto the Palace balcony.

‘Luna, do you know what my role is in Equestria?’ Mama asked.

‘Um...you raise the moon?’

‘Right. And do you know why I raise the moon?’

I lifted my shoulders. ‘Nope!’ I saw with a naughty smile.

‘Look out there,’ she began, gesturing to the houses below,’Those ponies down there need the night. They need the sleep so that they can gain strength and do they most that they can during the day. The world needs balance. Your father gives one half, and I provide the other. This is how we create harmony.’

Mama looked out to the night, admiring its peaceful beauty. ‘One day, you will look after this night. Remember, Luna, there is a difference between darkness and the night. Don't you ever forget that.’

Mama kissed me on my forehead, and left without another word, leaving me alone on the balcony. I looked up into the night to try and see what Mama saw, but it just looked like the same dark sky I saw every night. ‘Looks pretty dark to me…’