• Published 14th Nov 2015
  • 1,136 Views, 96 Comments

The Strange Case of Dinky Hooves' Cutie Mark Curiosity - Fluttercheer



The Cutie Mark Crusaders get their first mission to guide a pony to its true destiny. But it proves to be a challenge. Can they really help a pony to get its cutie mark when it already had one, but lost it?

  • ...
7
 96
 1,136

Chapter 12: Dangerous Territory

It was nearly eight o'clock as Apple Bloom awoke on the next morning. Carefully blinking, she opened her eyes as the rays of the sun shone into them, multiplied a thousand times by the crystal walls around her. Only as she had gotten used to the bright light in the room, still wondering how crystal ponies could endure waking up like this every morning, she noticed Dinky at her side and remembered the events of last night.

Careful to not awake the unicorn filly just yet, Apple Bloom sat up in her bed and stretched her forelegs, yawning. Her body felt stiff, a result of the hard research work and not much food on the day before, and she pondered about lying down again and getting another round of sleep. Neither the prince nor the princess would mind that, she was sure, as it was Twilight who had sent them. A look into Dinky's face changed this plan, though.

The filly was still lying in the same position as she had been when she fell asleep after the nightmare. Her face was wrinkled and spots of dried tears were visible on the hairs of her cheeks. Her breath was going steady, but had something fitful to its rhythm. Occasionally, her eyeballs twitched behind her lids. The sight was enough to convince Apple Bloom to get up immediately, despite her remaining tiredness. Swiftly, she slipped out of the bed and tiphoofed in a quick tempo to the door and outside, then closed it behind her quietly.

Upon arrival in the rooms of her friends, she found that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle had just woken up, too. Sleepily, they rubbed their eyes, but both of them agreed to get up now and leave the Crystal Empire as quickly as possible, for a further attempt to help Dinky with her big problem.

As Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle left their rooms together with Apple Bloom to wake up Dinky, already carrying their luggage, they found their client to be awake, too, by now. There were heavy bags under her eyes and she wished them a good morning with a morose voice. A moment later, she was already wearing the heavy backpack again, carrying it along the castle corridors, which seemed to be much harder for her now.

The Crusaders and Dinky afforded themselves a fast, but sumptuous, breakfast in the castle's large dining hall, then they left immediately and soon, found themselves on the next train back to Ponyville.

The trainride home mostly happened in the same way as the trainride to the Crystal Empire on the day before. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle took the chance for a nap, as all three of them were still tired from the efforts they went through in the Crystal Empire, and Dinky was sitting in the seat opposite of them. Except this time, her face was dark and her eyes gloomy. She was sitting still and constantly staring out of the window, her dull mind not really perceiving the landscapes that swooshed past her. All three of her counselors misinterpreted the miserable state of her as a result of tiredness and the bad dream she had to endure the night before. They figured she would fall asleep for a nap soon, too, but as they woke up, they still found her in the same position, motionless. It was only then that they realized the true reason for her condition which was, unsurprisingly, the same reason that made her depressed for more than a week now.

Worried, but trying to set up a cheerful face, Apple Bloom slid down from her seat and approached the filly on the other side. Gently, she put a hoof on Dinky's knee, requesting her attention.

“Dinky?”

In a lumbering tempo, Dinky turned around, until she faced Apple Bloom. Her eyes looked lifeless and resigned. Apple Bloom felt like Dinky was looking right through her. Dinky did not speak.

“We still have a plan, Dinky. The Crystal Empire didn't have an answer for us, but Scoots, Sweetie and I have decided that we check out t' old library in the Everfree Forest.”

No reaction came from Dinky.

“The library in the old castle of Princess Luna and Princess Celestia,” Sweetie Belle added, explanatory.

“Exactly,” Apple Bloom confirmed. “There's another chance, Dinky. We ain't done with this yet!” She gave her a broad smile, all happiness she could muster put into it.

Finally, Dinky stirred. Slowly, she climbed down her seat.

“Well, I'm done with it,” she said, her voice sounding as lifeless as her eyes had looked before.

The lips of the Crusaders pointed downwards immediately.

“I will never get my cutie mark. I will just continue to live as a pointless blank flank with the occasional pseudo-mark.” She did not await a response and lifted the backpack, that had rested in the seat to her left since they departured from the Crystal Empire, and put it on her back. As the train came to an unexpected halt and the conductor announced that they had reached Ponyville, something of surprise for anypony but Dinky, the filly with the heavy luggage trotted slowly to the exit, leaving her counselors behind.

“And that's it?” Apple Bloom looked after her, shouting. “Ya give up everythin' and decide for a life without a real cutie mark, always accused by other ponies of bein' a talentless failure who has ta fake a cutie mark?”

For a moment, Dinky stopped in her tracks. Apple Bloom expected an answer to come from her, but then, she continued her path immediately. “Yes,” she said taut, her voice still devoid of emotions.

It was an answer that let the hearts of the three fillies who stayed behind sink. Apple Bloom gritted her teeth, before she opened her mouth to say another thing.

“FINE!” Her hoof came down on the ground with force. “Then just leave and continue ta be a dumb, useless blank flank!”

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle gasped, then looked at each other with sad faces.

Swirling around in anger, Apple Bloom huffed, then climbed up her seat and took her saddlebags. She put them on her back and headed for the other exit. Hastily, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle did the same and followed their friend. It was in the last moment that the trio got out of the train, the doors having become shut behind them almost immediately after their tails were safe. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle hurried to catch up with Apple Bloom.

“What was that, Apple Bloom?” Scootaloo asked her, frowning. “You know it isn't Dinky's fault. You can't blame her.” There was a good amount of disappointment and accusation in her voice.

“Why not?” Apple Bloom hissed back. “We didn't get our cutie marks for so long! Did we ever give up, Scootaloo? Did we?” Furiously, she kicked a pebble in front of her.

“No, but.....” Scootaloo halted, trying to think of a way to weaken the argument.

“You're right, Apple Bloom. We never gave up,” Sweetie Belle chimed in.

“There! Sweetie Belle agrees,” Apple Bloom said, using the opportunity to strengthen her point. “Dinky has given up and that's just–”

“But” – Sweetie Belle interrupted her – “that's exactly why we shouldn't give up now, Apple Bloom”

Apple Bloom raised her head and looked at Sweetie Belle, dumbfounded.

“Dinky doesn't want to give up,” Sweetie Belle continued. “She's just frustrated, Apple Bloom. Let's not get as frustrated as her, ok?” Sweetie Belle put a hoof on her friend's shoulder.

The touch and the thoughtful words had their effect on Apple Bloom. The anger in her face lifted and her features became softer again, although, there were still a few remaining wrinkles.

Apple Bloom sighed. “But what should we do? If Dinky doesn't want ta continue.....”

“We just go to the castle alone and search without Dinky's help,” Sweetie Belle answered the question.

“That's the best thing we can do,” Scootaloo agreed, nodding. “Let's give Dinky some rest, Apple Bloom. If we find anything, we can tell her tomorrow at school.”

“Ya sure?” Apple Bloom asked, looking around between her friends. She was met with smiles from both of them.

“Mhm!” they answered.

Apple Bloom sighed again. “Okay..... Let's give it another try, ah guess, and search for the book alone.” She forced a smile on her face.

“Okay, that's settled.” Sweetie Belle took the reins. “Let's all go home quickly and let our stuff there, then we meet again at the entrance of the Everfree Forest in half an hour. Hurry up, it's only a few hours anymore until it gets dark!”

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom gave Sweetie Belle a confirmative nod, then the three fillies separated and ran off to their respective homes.

As Apple Bloom and Scootaloo arrived at their point of meeting, Sweetie Belle was already waiting for them. Not intended to lose any of the time they had left, the three turned towards the black, gaping entrance. They shuddered as a cold wind moved some of the dead trees at the edge of the forest and as, just a second later, a howling rang into their ears. Undoubtedly, a sign for the presence of timberwolves.

Scootaloo gulped and took a step back. “It's not a good idea to go in there, is it?”

“Nope!” Sweetie Belle said, surprisingly straightforward. “But we're doing this for Dinky. We don't just run in there to search for a chicken or to have an adventure and neither are we getting lured into the forest with the promise to win a scavenger hunt. This time, we have a really important reason, so we need to be especially brave.” Sweetie Belle did not seem to have any fears and if she did, she was hiding them well.

Scootaloo gulped again. But the words had worked, so she did a step closer to the entrance. “O-Okay, let's do this. It's dangerous. And I wish we would still remember the exit of the secret passage we found a couple of months ago..... But you're right, we're doing this for Dinky, so, let's go ahead!” Having spoken these words, Scootaloo marched forward, her thoughts focused on their goal. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle followed her promptly.

Crouched and using every shadow in the cursed forest to their advantage, they made their way towards the castle carefully. They had to stop and jump into a bush to hide, occasionally, when a manticore approached or a cockatrice was suddenly flying into their direction. Their journey through the forest was otherwise undisturbed, until they were already on the bridge that led to the abandoned castle. It was here where the always present howling of the timberwolves suddenly became much louder and, all of a sudden, a whole pack of timberwolves was heading towards them. Chased over the bridge, they galloped as fast as they could into the castle, the vile wooden creatures following them. It was only sheer luck that saved them. As they clinged in fear to an old tapestry in Princess Luna's colors on the wall, cornered by the pack, the wall suddenly gave in and turned around, transporting them to a whole different room. Their prey suddenly gone, the timberwolves turned away from the wall and left the castle, their eyes emanating a dark, green glow. On the other side, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle gasped in shock, pale-faced.

“We definitely take the fast route back!” Scootaloo said, shivering, as she could finally find some words again. “D-Do you still know the room where we found the entry of the passage?”

“Mhm.” Sweetie Belle simply nodded, a sign that she wasn't quite able to talk yet and a confirmation at the same time. As the tempo of their racing hearts had been reduced to a more or less normal speed, they began trotting through the rotten, old corridors to the library on shaky hooves.

Fortunately, and much to their surprise, the library was in a lot better condition than the rest of the castle. The shelves were dusty and the ceiling had tumbled down centuries ago, letting them see the second floor of the library when they looked up, but the books themselves were in a pristine condition. Not a single one crumbled to dust as they pulled out a few experimentally. Even the wooden entrance door was still perfectly intact, so they hastily closed it to avoid uninvited timberwolf visitors.

“How are those books still in such a good condition?” Scootaloo asked, looking over the shelves, as they trotted through the rooms of the library. They discovered five of them, the main room in the middle in which they had arrived and two rooms at each side of it.

“I guess Princess Luna and Princess Celestia cast a spell on them to protect them,” Sweetie Belle answered the curious question.

“You think?” Scootaloo came up with another question, looking at her friend doubtful. “I'm sure they have lots of other, new books now, I don't see why they would do this.”

“Yep!” Sweetie Belle answered swiftly. “I know I would do this with my books.” They had arrived in the last room, now looking at a stone wall, instead of another passage. Sweetie Belle looked outside through the shattered window. The light of the sun was shining through it in a bright orange.

“Anyway.....” Sweetie Belle looked back at her friends. “We should better start searching, there's not much time anymore. I stay here. You and Apple Bloom go and check out the other two rooms to the right.” She gestured them into the direction they came from, then approached the first shelf and began to examine the book titles, while Apple Bloom and Scootaloo went outside for their respective rooms.

Fortunately, they knew what book to look for this time; the one they had already seen in the Crystal Empire, but with the missing page. What complicated reaching their goal, though, was that the shelves weren't labelled here. Any helpful labels the shelves might have had at some day in the past had definitely crumbled to dust now. It forced them to check each book title separately..... And to hope that the book they looked for was not in one of the shelves on the second floor.

Each of them skimmed over the book titles as fast as it was possible for them. Despite that, it was already getting dim in the castle and the shadows came out of the corners they had lurked inside during the day, as the book was finally found.

They had scoured through three rooms of the library and were busy searching through the other two, with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in one room and Apple Bloom in the remaining one, as Scootaloo's voice suddenly echoed across the bookshelves.

“Guys, I got it!” She took the book in her mouth and, with a swing, pulled it out of the shelf, then jumped down from it and landed with a thunderous crash on the table beneath her. She presented the book to Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle as they came galloping with a subtle grin, just enough to ensure the book didn't fall out of her mouth.

The book was in the same, good condition as the other books, but, to make sure, Sweetie Belle hovered it in front of her and opened it, then flipped forward to the page. All three of them were holding their breaths as she turned the page with the start of the recipe..... And it was complete! The next page showed them a whole bunch of additional ingredients and a few last instructions. All three of them broke out in cheers that would have been deafening, if anyone except for them would have been there to hear them. The cheering didn't last long, though, as it was getting dark in the castle fast now.

“Okay, that's it! We have everything we need and we're going to show it to Dinky tomorrow at school!” Sweetie Belle announced, accompanied by nods. “But now, let's better get out of here. If it gets too dark, we won't find the room with the secret passage anymore and have to sleep here!” She shut the book and turned around on her hooves, then cantered out of the library.

Apple Bloom's and Scootaloo's pupils shrunk over these words and they followed their friend at a fast pace.

“Wait for us, Sweetie Belle!”

Author's Note:

Sweetie Belle is taking the lead here for once. I'm glad I could write it this way, she didn't have nearly enough of an active role so far.

Also, in case you're wondering what scavenger hunt and what secret passage they talk about; this is referring to the Friends Forever comic issue with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.
In short, Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle participated in a scavenger hunt with them and Diamond Tiara faked a note to send them into the Everfree Forest, where they found a secret underground passage in the old castle of Celestia and Luna that brought them right back to Sweet Apple Acres.