• Published 10th Nov 2015
  • 2,183 Views, 26 Comments

Amicitia - Swordslinger



Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle, new transfer student at Canterlot high...and I have no idea what I'm doing.

  • ...
2
 26
 2,183

The swing of things.

Sunset’s muscles burned as she skidded across the ground, her outfit in tatters, but still somehow covering her private parts. Glancing around the battlefield, Sunset narrowed her eyes. Her friends were in bad shape, Applejack and Rainbow were down for the count, Fluttershy was...well, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie was busy assisting Rarity with shielding the students of Crystal Prep and Canterlot high from the onslaught of dark energy beams.

“Oh?” A mocking voice said from above, “Giving up already?”

“Not on your life.” Sunset said defiantly, glancing up at the mocking voice. Midnight Sparkle hovered in the sky, glowing rings of magic around her eyes as ethereal wings kept her aloft. Her skin a dark blue, her purple dress swaying in the breeze. Sunset noted that, if she changed the angle of her head slightly, she could probably see up her enemy’s skirt.

“...Wait, what?”

Regardless of her opponent's unmentionables, it didn’t change the fact Sunset was on the ropes, she needed something to tip the scales in her favor, something that could change the game, something, anything! She just needed...needed....

Looking around, Sunset saw Rainbow rise to her knees, trying to get Applejack up, who was regaining her composure bit by bit, Fluttershy was moving towards the more injured students, providing medical aid as well as moving them away from the tear to Equestria, Pinkie Pie was providing moral support with a charming face, and Rarity was giving it her all to keep the shield up, even at the cost of her own life. Slowly, oh so slowly, something in Sunset’s mind clicked. Looking down at the ground in front of her, she saw the dark blue medallion that was once used to steal and contain magic, now cracked, but hummed with life.

“That’s it…” She muttered to herself, understanding filling her mind. Darting her eyes upward, Sunset took a deep breath, and snatched the trinket off the ground, “Twilight!” She called, getting her aggressor's attention, “I know what you’re going through, I’ve been where you are! When I put on the magic crown, it overwhelmed me! Just like what the magic’s doing to you! Please, let me help you!”

“And what could you possibly help me with?” Midnight sneered, “I have all the magic I need! And there’s even more down there!” Her violet eyes darting greedily to the open hole in the ground, which opened up to a world of unknown possibilities for the magic user, “And if I could have all that, what use would I have for you?!” She demanded.

“No, you don’t understand, magic doesn’t come from just power! You need more than that!” Holding up the magic stealing medallion in the air, Sunset began to rise in the air, golden magic beginning to surround her, “True magic comes from the bonds we share! From Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity, Honesty, Laughter!” As she counted down each of the five virtues, the red and yellow hair girl held the medallion skyward, and from her friends, from each of them, came a beam of magic, each one met at the crossroads that was the magic amulet. Soon enough, a ball of white magic, pure as can be, soon hovered above Sunset Shimmer. It’s size large enough to engulf the younger girl five times over.

“Let me show you, Twilight.”

Raising both hands up into the air, the orb of pure magic slowly descended into Sunset, whose hair was starting to stand on end, causing it spike upwards. Brimming with power, Sunset began to absorb the energy into herself. As she did, the wind itself shook from the power, the windows to Canterlot high were shattered from the sheer force that was coming out from the ball of pure power. As it came down over the girl, it began to turn in color, where it was once white, it was beginning to become a beautiful golden yellow. It became the sun, in magical form. As bright and as unyielding as the human inside it, who took a deep breath, and yelled.

As she did, the school itself was forced back by at least two feet from the sheer power she was putting out, people, objects, animals, there were no expectations. Even Midnight Sparkle was forced back from the shearing winds that surrounded Sunset Shimmer. As the orb turned all the brighter, the villainous was forced to shield her eyes to block out the light. Thankfully though, soon enough, the light show ended, and Midnight could see again, and what she saw took her breath away.

“The magic of friendship.”

Hovering in the sky as her equal, floated Sunset Shimmer, her hair now standing permanently on end, a glowing horn sticking out of her head, a red mark connected between her eyes. Glowing wings sprouted from her back, and the dress she wore made her look like an angel in human form.

Charging up two spells in her hands, Sunset fired them both at the ground in front of her, and the tear in the world was mended as she sketched the edges of the tear. The wound in reality was amended, and Sunset, once a nightmare, now a daydream, was its healer.

Growling in anger, Midnight charged up a spell in her left hand, and hurled herself through the air at Sunset, who met her charge with her own.

The resulting clash burned the air as the school took even more punishment than before. Both of them were forced back from the force of the clash, and sharing a look, they glared at each other before disappearing in a blinding flash of light.

The remaining students, some of whom finally let their guard down, only had a moment to catch their breath as a thunderous sound reverberated throughout the area. Glancing around, the students saw, if only for a moment, the image of the two girls engaged in hand to hand combat, but it was gone as quickly as it came. Looking around, the students saw what was happening. Happening as quick as a flash, the two deities were engaged in combat as they teleported around the school. Trading blows, ruining their outfits, and making the ground shatter with each movement.

Soon enough though, Sunset appeared. Thrown back, Sunset’s heeled feet skidded across the ground. Trying to brake, Sunset threw out a hand in front of her. Slowly grinding to a halt in front of the school’s entrance, Sunset looked upwards. The remaining student’s eyes followed her, and there, in the sky, was Midnight Sparkle.

Holding up a purple spell in her hands, she smiled manically, “Goodbye, Sunset Shimmer!” Grasping the spell with hands, she began to charge it, glowing brighter and deadlier with each second.

Undeterred, Sunset cupped her hands back, and whispered something softly. A soft glow emerged in her hands, and she began to raise her voice, “Ka….me….ha….me….”

“DIE!” Midnight yelled.

“HAAAAAA!” Sunset roared.

Throwing their arms out in front of them, the two sent out twin beams of unimaginable power, lighting up the darkened sky from the shine of their beams.

When the two beams met, there was a thunderous clash, flattening the surrounding countryside and sending chunks of rocks everywhere. For a moment, the two were deadlocked, neither able to get the upper hand on the other, but then, slowly but surely, Midnight’s dark purple beam was overriding Sunset’s golden beam. Grinning like a lunatic, Midnight put more and more force behind the attack.

But then…

“Kiao….Ken…”

“....Uh, what was that?” Midnight asked.

“Times….”

“Times?”

“FOUR!”

“Eh?”

Like someone had loaded four more bullets into a chamber, Sunset’s beam quadrupled in strength. Smashing through Midnight’s beam with fearsome speed and was soon on the magical teen like a lonely girl at prom night.

“That’s not fair…”

“No no no nono noonoonoooooo!” Midnight shrieked as the beam encroached on her, eventually consuming her in its fearsome embrace. Closing her eyes, she waited for sunlit death.

But it never came.

Daring to open her eyes, Midnight saw Sunset Shimmer hovering opposite of her, hand outstretched. They were in a white room, with no ceiling or ground. There was nothing else, no one else. Just them, and only them.

“....Why?” Was the only thing she could ask, “Why didn’t you…”

“I know you.” Sunset responded, “Because...I was once you. Let me show you a better way.”

Looking at the offered hand, Midnight sparkle, closed her eyes, and took it. A warmth filled her being, and she smiled.


The white column the clash had created disappeared, and from it, two girls emerged. Locked in each other’s embrace, their clothing was ragged and torn, Twilight’s hair was loose, her glasses gone, and Sunset was looking little better herself. Their faces cut and bruised, but nevertheless, they looked happy.

Looking around, Twilight cringed at the destruction the two had brought, “...Did I do all of this? I...I didn’t mean too...”

“It’s okay.” Sunset said warmly, “Going from my own experience, they’ll forgive you.”

Smiling softly at each other, Twilight slowly perked her head upward, staring into Sunset’s eyes, and Sunset gently lowered in head into Twilight's, and then their lips-

“Now hold on there sugar cube!”


Adjusting my glasses and trying to ignore the burning sensation in my cheeks, I wasn’t able to look in Sunset’s direction as we sat in the music room. In fact, my knees looked more interesting, yes, much more interesting. Rainbow Dash looked up from her stacks of paper she was reading off of, looking mildly surprised as Applejack stared her down.

“Now, I ain’t got no problem with you making a story off your own flights of fancy, but don’t cha think that makin them kiss is a bit much?” The farmer pressed, hands at her hips with an annoyed expression.

“I kinda liked it…” Fluttershy admitted weakly from the side, “Not the fighting part, but the making up part...though the kiss was…”

“Yeah, haaa…” The athlete rubbed the back of her rainbow colored hair nervously, “I just thought it kinda...fit, you know?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow in response.

“....Rarity suggested it.” Rainbow admitted sheepishly.

Glancing over at the violet haired teen who was sitting on a piano, she huffed indignantly and crossed her arms, “Well, every good story needs a hint of romance, don’t you agree?”

“Yeah, but why Twilight and Sunset?” Applejack asked.

Rolling her eyes like it was the most obvious thing in the world, Rarity placed a hand on her chin and explained, “Because dear, just look at them! One’s outgoing and brave, the other’s bookish and timid. The setting sun and the Moon’s peak! Why, Sunset, Twilight, they’re practically the same name! Not to mention their color schemes are parallels of each other! Why, I’d say you two were made to act as counterpoints, why wouldn’t they like each other?” Well, she’s not wrong, sort of.

“Because they’re not fictional characters Rare.” Applejack countered. Inwardly, I thanked the farmer for being a voice of reason and common sense.

“Um, by Rarity’s logic, wouldn’t you two be a good couple then?” Fluttershy asked innocently.

The sudden silence in the room was so thick you could’ve cut it with the metaphorical knife, that is, until, Rainbow started laughing her head off.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAOHGODMYSIDESHAHAHAHAHA!”

Blushing and crossing her arms, Fluttershy huffed, “It was just a thought.” She muttered.

Being silent for long enough, Pinkie Pie finally spoke up, “Well, I liked it! Especially the lasers and the fighting! Say,” She turned her hyperactive attention towards me, “Can you two do that normally?” She asked.

“Not at all Pinkie.” Sunset said from behind me, “When we absorbed the magic from the amulet, we got a power boost from it. I might be able to do something similar when we pony up, but I don’t think I’ll be throwing around any Kamehameha’s any time soon.”

“Aww…” Pinkie moaned, deflating like a balloon.

“Anyway,” Sunset spoke up, forcing false bravado into her voice, “What did you think, Twilight?”

Pushing my glasses up, I said quietly: “It...needs some work.”

“What do you mean?” Sunset asked gently.

Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I continued, “Well, ignoring the grammar and syntax errors, some things in this story just don’t make any sense.” What story that was, was Rainbow Dash’s rendition of the friendship games, it was true to life, for the most part, but I swear she was watching Japanese cartoons as she was writing it. Truth be told, I was surprised when she came forward with this, I hadn’t pegged her as a writer, and to be honest, I’m still not sure if I do. Looking up at the heaving Rainbow Dash, I gave her a meek stare, “For starters, you said the school building was moved back two feet or so right?”

Regaining some of her composer, she nodded.

Gaining some courage, I continued, “Well, since the school is a two-story building is made out of solid brick, not counting all the facilities and added weight of appliances and such, it would have taken at least approximately two-“

“English, Twi.” Rainbow interrupted rudely. When she did, my train of thought had a sudden derail and went flying off the tracks and into a stack of conveniently placed lit dynamite. Needless to say, the resulting explosion was spectacular.

“Uh, well, that is, umm…” I stumbled and tripped in my words.

From my side, Spike, my magical talking dog, I can’t believe I just thought that, rolled his eyes, “If Twilight was releasing enough newtons of force, then how would the students still be alive?”

“….Eh?” Rainbow asked dumbly.

Nodding in thanks to Spike for the moment’s pause, I took over, “Well, the human body can only take about five G’s worth, and if something was able to push the school back, it would’ve been like a brick wall slamming into them five times over. But in your story, the students were completely fine. I mean, I could buy Sunset and myself surviving, and even Rarity and her shield…thing, you never explained that, by the way, but a normal person….” I shook my head.

To my surprise, instead of being rebuked, Rainbow just looked down at her stack of papers and narrowed her eyes, “I…see, thanks Twi.” She nodded at me, and I smiled slightly in reply. Giving Sunset a glance, she nodded warmly, as if congratulating me. Inwardly, I pumped an imaginary fist, score one for the bookworm!

My elation was cut short as the bell rang, signifying the end of the lunch period and the start of the next period. Picking up my stuff, I opened my back pack wide enough for Spike to jump in, who did so with ease. As we shuffled out of the music room, we were stopped by the sight of a very tall women with a warm smile, “Oh hello everyone.” Principal Celestia greeted, raising a hand in hello.

“Hey Prince, did you like the story I gave you?” Rainbow Dash spoke up suddenly, completely catching me, and the rest, by surprise.

“You gave it to the Principal?” Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow nodded, completely ignoring the heavy stares she was getting. No, not ignoring, that implies she was at least aware of them, she was completely oblivious to them, “Well, I figured the best way to get feedback was to give it to people I trust. And the Principal was pretty high on the list.” She said like it was the most obvious thing in the world, and to be fair, to her, it probably was.

“And what a wonderful story it was!” Oh, please Principal Celestia, I’ve only been a student here for a few weeks, and while I did destroy your statue, I don’t think I deserve any more embarrassment, “I especially liked the part where Sunset and Twilight ki-“

“Celestia!” Sunset shrieked as I slunk backwards, face completely red.

Welcome to my world, crazy, yet ever so humble.