• Published 22nd Nov 2015
  • 7,188 Views, 633 Comments

Sunset's Adventure in Skyrim - Blackdrag-rose



Sunset Shimmer enters the portal to Equestria and finds herself in Skyrim. The only problem is that Tirek is there as well.

  • ...
36
 633
 7,188

PreviousChapters Next
37: Land of the Damned

"Are you sure about this?" Serana asked for the third time, having watched Sunset remove any unnecessary items from her pack to lighten her load in the Soul Cairn, excluding the Elder Scroll she carried, "Even if I partly soul trap you, and offer that piece to the Ideal Masters, you'll be at a weakened state in the Soul Cairn, decreasing the power of your abilities. Please, let me turn you into a vampire so you can stave off the effects of the Cairn... we can always find one of the wizards who knows about vampirism and cure you of it later."

"She's told you twice already that she doesn't want to do that," Fiona commented, once again telling the vampire what Sunset wanted, while the rest of their group settled around the opening to the Soul Cairn so they could watch for their return, "So I'm going to politely ask you to drop the matter and respect her decision. We don't have time to waste on arguing, not when there's an insane dremora running around gathering allies to turn against Nirn and destroying whatever Hold he pleases. We've already lost Winterhold and the town of Falkreath thanks to him, so I'd like to try and save the other seven before he and Revan have a chance to destroy them."

While the two vampires argued over Sunset's decision to become partly soul trapped, and annoying some of their friends in the process, Sunset stood near the enchanting table and made sure that she had everything she could possibly need for the journey into the Soul Cairn. She had the Staff of Magnus, the Archmage Robes, and her ebony sword at hand, though she chose to leave all of her provisions with the rest of the items she had brought. She didn't want her food to suddenly turn to mush when she entered the Soul Cairn, so it was better to leave it behind and get the job done as quickly as possible.

As she checked her gear one last time she looked at the rest of her friends, the ones that she had told to stay behind and guard the portal until they returned with Valerica and the Elder Scroll. Cicero and Lydia had set up a small table of sorts and had the beginnings of some type of game, but which one that was Sunset wasn't sure about. Raja, still used to being able to hide in the shadows, remained in the area near the enchanting table, so she could watch everything that happened around her. Bjorn stood by the door they hadn't checked yet, though he told them that it lead to a balcony and that they had no use for something like that at the moment.

Once she was completely ready she stepped up to Fiona and Serana, knowing that they needed to act fast and begin their mission before either of their enemies figured out what they were doing.

"Let's get this over with," Sunset told them, nodding her head to Serana for a moment, "just partly soul trap me. We'll figure out how to get that fragment of my power back after we're inside the Soul Cairn."

Serana nodded and told her to remain still, promising to make it as painless as possible, but when the spell hit her she fell to her knees in agony as she felt part of her soul getting severed from her body. Her friends rushed to her side and made sure that she was alright, while Serana held the soul fragment in her hand for a moment before offering it to the portal. Sunset stared at the gem for a second or two before it faded from existence, the energy surging towards the portal and disappearing into the vastness of the Soul Cairn. She had never used a soul trap ability on anyone before, but now that she knew that even a fraction of the soul being taken away hurt so much she swore not to do it to someone else.

"You promised that it wouldn't be painful," Fiona nearly shouted, turning to the other vampire for a moment, "and just look what you did, you nearly killed her."

"I said that I would make it as painless as possible," Serana replied, her hand moving to her chin for a moment, "It seems that Equestrians act differently when a fragment of their soul is broken off... I must remember to make a note of that when we return from the Soul Cairn."

"Are you okay Sunset?" Fiona asked, clearly not wanting to face Serana at the moment, while she was trying to calm down and turned to face her friend.

"I... I'm fine..." Sunset grunted, forcing the words out of her mouth as she forced herself to stand once more, despite the uneasy feeling that she had, "Let's find Valerica, get the Scroll, recover that fragment of my power, and get out of the Cairn as soon as possible."

Fiona stared into her eyes for a moment, making sure that there was nothing that Sunset was hiding from her, before sighing and nodding her head to her. With Sunset back on her feet, and now missing a fraction of her power, the trio gathered near the stairs that would take them to the Soul Cairn, while the rest of their friends waited around the ledge. Sunset steeled herself for whatever horrors that the Soul Cairn might have in store for them, before letting out a sigh and beginning the trek down the stairs. Fiona and Serana immediately followed after their friend, where the three of them entered the glowing portal and disappeared from Tamriel, traveling to the Soul Cairn.

---------------------------------

When Sunset stepped out of the portal and appeared at the top of some stairs she immediately looked around her and took in the terrible plane all around them. The ground, seemingly dull and gray, was clearly lifeless and stretched outwards in every direction, though the dead state seemed to give way for some unusual cracks in the ground and dead looking weeds. The trees that rested around the stairs were clearly dead, as they were completely withered away and were nothing more than shadows of the tress Sunset had seen in Skyrim. The sky itself, on the other hand, was a completely different shade of blue, if not completely violet purple Sunset told herself, and there was this churning hole in the middle of the sky, which she assumed had to be this realm's sun.

She even heard the sounds of souls lightly screaming in the background every now and then, telling her that this horrible realm was definitely not made for the living.

"Everything about this place is wrong," Serana said, looking around for herself, while echoing Sunset's thoughts, "Let's hurry up and find my mother... I'd rather not be here longer than necessary."

"I'd agree with you on that," Fiona commented, already heading down the stairs, where Sunset and Serana dashed to join her, "There's something... odd... about this place. Something that makes me want to hurry and get this done."

"That would be the Ideal Masters," Serana replied, looking around and spotting one of the larger crystals in the distance, which she pointed out to them as they walked down the path, "Any soul that is trapped in a soul gem is sent to this place... to the Soul Cairn... where it must eternally pledge itself to the Masters. Necromancers seeking great power would contact the Ideal Masters, although sometimes the necromancer would be deceived by the Masters, who would then take their soul as well. It is said that the Ideal Masters generally manifest in one of two forms: a small red crystal found "resting" in a coffin, or as a giant pink crystal, often found hovering above a ruined structure."

"You sure do seem to know a lot about them," Fiona told the other vampire, to which Serana raised an eyebrow before sighing and continuing down the path.

"Well, that's all me and my mother actually know about them," Serana admitted, staring into the distance for a moment, "Maybe she's learned something about them in the time that she's been here and can give us a better idea when we find her."

Sunset stared at one of the larger crystals that Serana had pointed out, wondering what they could do with the power of one of the Ideal Masters added to their alliance, but knew that it would never happen. One problem was that she wasn't a necromancer, as necromancy as one of the types of magic that Princess Celestia had outlawed after the defeat of Nightmare Moon... a law that even Sunset didn't dare to break before her departure to Earth. The second problem was that the Ideal Masters were hard to contact and, even if they did tell them of their need for additional aid, she was sure that they would end up betrayed... and end up here as well. It was an interesting thought, she ad to admit it, but the Ideal Masters were beyond her and her friends, so she decided to settle for Valerica and the Elder Scroll.

They passed between two large sections of black walls before rejoining the path, though when they did Serana spotted a sinister looking castle in the distance and, as if her gut was telling her something, immediately started heading right towards it, forcing Sunset and Fiona to follow her before she got lost. As they drew closer and closer to the castle Sunset felt the power of a barrier, a powerful one she added, that had to rest somewhere in the castle, no doubt keeping someone from leaving. Once they reached the stairs and climbed up them Sunset immediately spotted that they weren't alone, as there was another women, this one much older looking than either Serana or Fiona, standing behind the barrier that Sunset had felt.

"Mother!" Serana exclaimed, running up to her mother before stopping short of the barrier.

"Serana?! What are you doing here?" Valerica demanded, before taking a moment to collect her thoughts and letting out a sigh, "Its Harkon isn't it? He's found a way to decipher the prophecy, hasn't he?"

"Well, yes and no," Serana replied, clearly confused as to how she could tell her mother that her father had discovered a fraction of the Tyranny of the Sun, but was now hunting for someone that wanted to end Nirn instead of the bow they sought, "Yes, my father has heard the lines of prophecy that were written on my scroll, but he doesn't care about that at the moment. There's a dremora that's stalking Skyrim, absorbing the power of mages and turning people against each other, though my friends are trying to stop him before he goes too far."

"You brought strangers into our conflict?!" Valerica said, turning and looking at both Fiona and Sunset, "Great, just great. One of Harkon's lackeys and a vampire hunter... someone just kill me already. So how has it come to pass that the two of you are in the company of my daughter? It pains me to think either of you would travel with Serana under the guise of her protector in an effort to hunt me down."

"Look, we're not here to kill you," Sunset told the vampire, causing her to turn to her, "We're here because there's a demon that's already destroyed Winterhold and the town of Falkreath, as a warm up before he regains all of his power. The last person that serves him, a vampire by the name of Revan, is plotting something that involves Auriel's Bow, though I think he wants to give it to Tirek to boost the demon's power. We need to find the bow and secure it before Revan can get his hands on it, which is why we need your help, and your Elder Scroll, to prevent him from getting to it."

"Revan?!" Valceria said, as if the news shocked her, telling Sunset that there was more to their enemy than she had originally thought, "I should have known there was something odd about him... I was the only one who could create a portal to the Soul Cairn and I spent many years alone. All that changed when a young man, I'd say he had seen about twenty winters before he had stopped aging due to his vampirism, appeared out of nowhere and started talking to me. At first I thought I was finally going mad, but he visited me once a week, giving me news about the world before disappearing to wherever he had come from.

Some time ago he had come to me, with a look of power in his eyes that told me had had sided with one of the Daedric Princes, that Nirn was under attack by the Mythic Dawn. He made no effort to hide that he was working with Dagon, though he continued to tell me about how he was hunting for someone named Martin Septim. Every now and then he'd come and tell me that he couldn't find the young man he was looking for, but he often told me other things about the region that were happening at the same time. One Archmage dead and another takes his place, an Arena Champion dethroned, and many other things until he suddenly stopped coming to see me.

Then, maybe three weeks ago, he came to me once more and spoke of a new Daedric Prince that he had discovered, one that was completely different than the other seventeen. He said that the Prince's name was Tirek and that he required the Power of Mages, as Revan put it, to regain even a fraction of his former powers. Revan laughed at the idea of his new master hiding beneath the College of Winterhold, where he could gather as much energy as he could while another pawn moved across the board. Then, not one week later if he kept to his schedule, Revan returned and proclaimed that Winterhold was no more, but told me nothing of his master. I have not seen him since the last visit."

"Oh, I am so going to kill him for this," Sunset growled, more annoyed with the fact that she was literally now learning that Tirek had been in Tamriel longer than she had, "Tell us, how do we breach the barrier and get you out of here?"

"I suggest killing the three Keepers that are keeping this barrier up," Valerica told them, beckoning around the castle area for a moment, "they're scattered across the Soul Cairn, kept near the location of souls being used to keep this up. Take them all out and this barrier will come crashing down. And watch out for the dragon Durnehviir that roams the Cairn, he's been tasked by the Ideal Masters to keep the Keepers alive, though he'll no doubt intervene when you kill one or more of the Keepers."

Sunset sighed and walked out to a piece of the ruins, climbing up so she could get a better look at their immediate surroundings before determining which direction they should go in. She glanced to the right of the castle and could have sworn that she spotted something in the distance that looked like what Valerica had described, the souls being used to fuel something. She clapped her hands and rejoined the vampires, beckoning for Fiona and Serana to join her as she promised Valerica that they'd be back shortly. As they left, however, it seemed like the Cairn became more active, as black skeletons and creatures made out of mist wanted to tear them apart as they traveled towards their destination.

Serana and Fiona summoned their magic and tore into the creatures, while Serana focused on saving her energy for the Keepers and used her ebony weapon, grateful that she had decided to bring it along. She also occasionally used the Staff of Magnus to blast an enemy that bypassed her friends, or those that were just plain annoying and didn't seem to die.

The ruined fortress that they drew closer to housed a small group of black skeletons, each of them armed with their ancient weapons and looking around for someone to use them on. Near the back of the group, standing as still as a statue, was something dressed up in ancient bone armor and armed with a giant battleaxe. Fiona's magic surged towards the group of skeletons and broke them up, allowing Serana to hit some of them before they were even aware that they were under attack. The Keeper, now awakened by the fighting, pulled itself from its spot and approached the battle, where it lifted its battleaxe high above its head and proceeded to bring it down, but not before a bolt of green lightning struck it in the chest and knocked it back into the place it had been guarding. A moment later its body crumpled into dust, though when its skeletal followers followed suit Serana and Fiona relaxed as Sunset approached them.

"Its a good thing you bought that Staff with you," Serana commented, unaware of the power that the Staff even had, or even who it had once belonged to, "otherwise that would have gotten bad real fast."

"I think this was the weakest of the three Keepers," Sunset told the vampires, knowing that it would take a lot more than that to kill something that was keeping Valerica imprisoned, "Let's get underway before the Ideal Masters decide to create more of them and ruin our work before we're even close to finishing our task."

---------------------------------

As it turned out the second Keeper was on the ground as well, though he had been sitting in what Sunset assumed was a throne or chair of some kind. The moment they drew near him he pulled himself up and summoned a host of the undead creatures that called the Soul Cairn home, directing them towards the group. It was a moment like this that Sunset wished that she had all her power back, but she would deal with a fraction of her power and either cut her enemies down or blasted them with the Staff of Magnus. Fiona and Serana mostly used magic on their enemies, choosing the be done with them in a quicker fashion than to slowly kill them with some other method. When the Keeper was alone they all used magic at the same time, somehow shattering the bonds that kept the body together and breaking the Keeper into a pool of black dust.

Sunset, seeing the second Keeper fall so easily, was beginning to wonder if Revan had gone out on his visits to the Soul Cairn and, somehow, weakened the Keepers before their visit.

The way to reach the third Keeper was guarded by another army of the blacked skeletons, grayed out draugr, and creatures that were made of mist. As they fought this group of creatures Sunset noticed at an arrow fell to the ground from above them, causing her to look up and spot the form of the final Keeper loosing arrows at them. She briefly wondered if she could accurately target the Keeper from their position, but decided to focus on their current enemies before they were overwhelmed. Flames danced around her arms as she blasted a few of the creatures to pieces, while Fiona and Serana used their own magic to tear the others apart.

Once the way was clear for someone to head up to the Keeper Serana shouted at Sunset to deal with him, to which she nodded and headed right into the teleport pad, appearing up near their target. The Keeper noticed that someone had broken through the defenses and turned on her, but by then Sunset was tired of holding most of her power back. She snapped her fingers and launched a fireball right at the Keeper's face, blasting it backwards before it even had a chance to loose an arrow at her. As the Keeper straightened itself she threw another fireball at it, before switching to lightning and using a lightning bolt to tear into the Keeper's chest. As it tried to get up once more she sucked the air into her, focused on what she was going to do, and then Unrelenting Force'd the Keeper right off the tower, dropping it to the ground.

When Sunset entered the other teleport pad and appeared near her friends she immediately ran to where the Keeper had fallen, finding that she had destroyed it with her spells and her Shout.

"I didn't know you could pack that much power into your Shouts," Fiona remarked, impressed by what Sunset was able to do with all three Words to the Unrelenting Force Shout.

"I only recently received the third Word to it," Sunset reminded the vampire, beckoning for them to follow her back to Valerica's prison, "Come, we had best get this over with before something else happens."

When they returned to the sinister castle they found Valerica waiting for them, with her arms crossed while she had a look of wonder on her face, a clear sign that she was somewhat impressed by their deeds. Once they had returned Valerica proclaimed that they could recover the Elder Scroll and get them on their way, to which Sunset told her that they were never coming back to this place and that she was coming with her, no questions asked. Valerica lead them into the courtyard, where they found a sinister looking dragon waiting on a wall on the opposite side of the courtyard, one that Sunset assumed was the Durnehviir that had been mentioned earlier.

"I should have known he'd eventually show up," Valerica said, sighing as she turned and looked at Sunset, "Now that Durnehviir is here I guess we'll all be dying and becoming permanent residents of the Soul Cairn."

"I am not staying in this horrible realm," Sunset replied, turning to the group for a moment, "The three of you will stay here... I'll deal with Durnehviir, and any other surprises that might show up."

As she stepped forward the area near her seemed to light up, as if it was responding to her natural energy, and flames began to appear all around her. For a moment she wondered if the Soul Cairn was finally reacting to her dislike, but she didn't give it much thought as she strode into the middle of the courtyard. Durnehviir glared down at her for a moment, as if debating whether or not he wanted to fly into the area and attack her, but then something else entered the area. Sunset glanced to the left and spotted someone she wasn't expecting, watching as Revan stepped forward, removing his hood before staring right at her.

"Oh not you again," Sunset said, tapping her staff on the ground as she turned to face the evil vampire, "So, shall I kill you now? Or shall I force you back to wherever you came from?"

Revan reached into his pocket and pulled out a soul gem, one that he tossed into the air for a few seconds before throwing it to Sunset, to which she caught it. The next thing she knew the soul gem broke into pure energy and surged into her body, telling her that it was the fragment of her soul that Serana had taken. She had to wonder how Revan had found it, but even as she did so she wondered what game the vampire was playing by allowed her to access her full power once more.

"I wanted to test you at your full power," Revan told her, withdrawing his hand before pulling out a glass sword in his right hand, "and I can't do that when your missing a fragment of your soul. So come at me Sunset Shimmer, Archmage of the College of Winterhold, Leader of the Fellglow Alliance, and Warlord of the Dragon Cult. I wish to see the power that my master talks about."

Sunset stared at the vampire for a moment, seriously wondering what her enemy was planning at the moment, before allowing her hand to reach for her ebony sword. She stopped herself after a moment, wondering if she could catch him off guard with a different spell that was almost identical to the condensed spell she used on her swords. She held her hand out just a bit, pointed down at the ground, and allowed her energy to gather beneath her palm, swirling around to form a perfect sphere. Just as Revan raised an eyebrow to what she was doing Sunset thrust her had forward and released the magic, causing a beam of pure energy to erupt from above her palm and surge towards Revan.

The vampire barely had time to dodge as the beam passed by him, hitting the wall not a few steps away from where he was standing and exploding upon impact, tearing a massive hole into the castle. Revan, taken aback by the power of the spell, appeared to be rethinking giving her back her full power, before he ducked into the hole she had created.

"Coward!" Sunset shouted, charging at the opening and looking around for a moment, where she spotted Revan moving towards one of the ruined structures and immediately began to charge the attack once more, before loosing it and barely missing him a second time as the structure exploded.

Revan, choosing to duck behind one of the other structures, glanced at Sunset as she looked around for him once more, deciding that it was time to leave the Soul Cairn. He tapped the structure for a moment and summoned a door, opening it to the last location he had been before he had come to this plane of existence. There were other things he needed to do, other tasks that his master wanted him to accomplish, and he wasn't about to die now, not when his enemy had a new power. Better to retreat and plan for the future, to which he smiled and disappeared back to Tamriel, knowing it was only a matter of time until Sunset did the same.

"He's gone," Sunset told her friends, who had walked into the courtyard area while Durnehviir had landed near them, "I didn't kill him this time, but I'll get him sooner or later."

"What was that spell?" Fiona asked, having seen the one she had used with her swords before, so she was curious as to what this one had to be.

"Same as before, condensed magic," Sunset replied, nodding her head to Durnehviir for a moment, "I take it he's decided to join us as well? Or is there peace between you guys?"

"I cannot leave this dreadful place," Durnehviir told her, "I am indebted to the Ideal Masters, so unless they decide to release me from my service I am of no aid to you."

Sunset was going to say something, but then the sky above them seemed to crack open and something descended down to where they were standing. The group had to advert their eyes for a moment or two, but when Sunset looked back her eyes widened in surprise as she took in what she was seeing. A faceless figure, dressed up in a flowing black robe, was floating in the air above them, but even as Sunset gazed at the creature she could feel the power it held inside it. She glanced at Serana and Valerica, wondering if they even understood what was floating before them, to which Serana mouthed the words she had been thinking.

Ideal Master.

Sunset didn't think any of them would be seeing an Ideal Master during their visit to the Soul Cairn, though she knew that this experience would lead Valerica to write about the experience. She had to wonder what the Ideal Master wanted of them, or even what it was doing here, but silently watched as it turned towards Durnehviir for a moment. Then, just as suddenly as the Ideal Master had appeared, the sky flashed for a moment and a second robed figure appeared close to the first, to which Serana mouthed Two. The pressure in the air seemed to get heavier with the addition of a second Master, causing everyone to brace themselves to prevent falling to the ground. Just as Sunset was starting to wonder what they were doing a third robed figure appeared, increasing the pressure in the air and causing them to fall to their knees, while Serana mouthed THREE?! to all of them.

The three Ideal Masters seemed to be silently debating something among themselves, before the trio seemed to nod, which was hard to tell what they were doing with their robes covering everything, before they disappeared.

"I'm... I'm free?" Durnehviir stated, looking around for a moment before getting into the air, "I'll meet you in Tamriel... wherever my brethren are gathering."

Before anyone could reply the dragon turned towards the opening in the sky and disappeared, telling Sunset that he had to have traveled to back to Tamriel... somehow. Valerica, now caught off guard by the sudden appearance of three Ideal Masters, beckoned them to follow her as she lead the way to the Elder Scroll, which Fiona accepted. It was also in that moment that Valerica agreed to leave the Cairn as well, to which Sunset nodded as they began the journey back to the entrance they had used. She wasn't sure what had caused the three Ideal Masters to suddenly appear like that, or why they had released Durnehviir from their service, but she was thankful regardless.

With three Elder Scrolls in hand they now had all the items they needed to find Auriel's Bow, which Sunset was sure would result in the utter destruction of Revan. All they needed was the location of the bow and they were set.

---------------------------------

Tirek sighed as he finished taking in the power of Malacath, to which he threw the Prince into one of the open cells, keeping him separated from the other three. As he locked the door he made sure to keep the bindings on the warrior Prince, ensuring that he would think twice about what he did and prevent another episode from happening. He nodded once before picking up the artifact that had hit him in the head, growling for a moment before he retraced his steps to a vacant wall and blasted a small hole into the structure. It took him a few seconds, but in the end he created a small pit to which the artifacts could be dumped into once their Prince had been summoned.

It took him a few seconds to grab the artifacts that he had already used and drop them into the pit, leaving the Skeleton Key in its position so he could keep the chest open.

"He's going in order," Sheogorath chuckled to himself, causing his cellmates to look at him, "When Jyggalag attacked our rude host... who ought to be punished for what he's doing... he imposed a Rule on him. A Rule that makes him follow the steps of another. I'm sure you can figure out what I'm talking about... otherwise no cheese for you!"

"So your saying that he's following Sunset Shimmer's steps?" Meridia asked, trying to understand what the Madgod was referring to, but had the feeling that she was failing.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not," Sheogorath replied, leaning back and placing his hands behind his head, "If you solve the riddle I'll... I dunno... give you a prize! Maybe a severed head. Maybe a pet fox. Maybe cheese! Who knows!"

Tirek sighed and let his magic surge into the chest, messing around until he pulled out the piece of armor that was known as the Savior's Hide, the artifact of the Huntsman. The maw of Oblivion opened and another figure stepped out of their plane of existence, a male by the build of the body, despite the fact that the head was completely covered by an animal's skull. It was clear that there was a bow and some arrows accompanying Hircine, but before Tirek could do anything another creature leapt out of the portal and tackled him into the wall. Tirek could tell that it was a werewolf, but he was somewhat shocked that the Prince had brought an ally to do battle with him and mentally cursed Malacath.

Before he had a chance to do anything a second werewolf appeared and latched onto his other arm, where the two of them began to drag him out into the open area of the fort.

"Hold him still, my hunters," Hircine said, pulling out an arrow and nocking it as he took aim on Tirek, "I shall end this nightmare."

Tirek growled and loosed his right hand, pulling forth his magic in a fury that made it solidify into a flaming blade as he struck one werewolf in the chest, unleashing a flaming wound that completely consumed the beast. The second opened its mouth the bite into him, to prevent him from moving, but he turned the blade around and repeated the process, igniting the second one almost immediately. He then approached Hircine as the arrow was loosed, ducking under the tip as it hit the wall behind him, before his blade knocked the bow from his hands. Then, before the Prince could move, Tirek chocked him as well, quickly retreating to where the prison was and showing his prize to the defeated Princes.

"Another has tried to best me and has failed," Tirek called to his captives, allowing the process to begin once more, "You all may be prepared for a fight when I make the call, but in the end this is the fate of your fellow Princes. And soon I shall have the power I need to shatter this world and return to Equus."

PreviousChapters Next