• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 576 Views, 24 Comments

The Ninth Enchantment of Mage Meadowbrook - Thornwing



Starswirl holds the key to an ancient secret. What he finds in the present may help to unravel the mystery of the oldest magic in Equestria.

  • ...
0
 24
 576

9 - The New Order

Twilight scrambled up to the platform in a futile attempt to follow Starlight through the portal which had closed quite abruptly following Volara’s departure. Starswirl sat, dazed and confused. The winds settled, and the library returned to the peaceful calm of a sunlit afternoon.

“Where did they go?” Twilight asked, hoping to get an answer from the Sphinx who had retreated into the stacks not far from the center of the room.

Starswirl continued to mumble to himself. “Second cousin twenty-four times removed, carry the one…”

Failing an answer, Twilight turned to gather her bearings and try to formulate a plan. The book sitting atop the pedestal happened to catch her eye. Leaning down for closer inspection, the old tome showed signs of age along with a clear script on the open page consistent with the style of another ancient tome. The words dictated by the Sphinx from only moments before lifted from the last few lines, but the volume contained hundreds of pages prior to the open leaf. She turned the page back, again and again, working backwards through the information.

“I would caution you against intruding on the personal writings of the Priestess. She is most protective of that book.” The Sphinx had crawled closer, a piercing gleam shone in its eyes. Far short of bearing claws or teeth, it hovered nearby in a state of watchful curiosity.

Twilight lit her horn, intent on defending herself if it came to that. “I’m not losing my friend! I have to find her!”

The Sphinx shied away. “The answers you seek lie not in that book, Princess.”

“Then where are they? Are you going to tell me, or do I have to guess?” Twilight said.

“If I could, I would gladly say. But I think you already know the answer, for you yourself must have gone there whereas I have not.”

“What do you mean? Is this another one of your riddles?”

“The beast speaks the truth,” Starswirl rejoined. “Starlight has entered the Eternal Plane, a realm I have sought for the better part of my life and never found a way in.”

The Sphinx sat back and coiled its tail. “One must be invited to the Eternal Plane, for it is there that the chosen receive the Gift of the Goddess.”

“Starlight?” Twilight said, still trying to process the current situation. “Is she?”

Silence followed. The situation she now confronted brought back a wave of sentiment that Twilight had only faced on a few rare occasions. The day she received her cutie mark and became Celestia’s student; the moment she first connected with her friends bearing the Elements of Harmony in the defeat of Nightmare Moon; the day that the stars aligned and she became a princess after having solved Starswirl’s unfinished spell.

“Are you not happy for your friend?” the Sphinx asked. “She completed all the trials, and surprised even me with her ultimate sacrifice. Would you deem her unworthy of the promised Gift?”

“I… I’m…” Twilight could barely speak.

“I’m more concerned about her lineage,” Starswirl said. “How can it be that she is the last of House Stella? I have no offspring — that I am aware of.”

“A simple question with a simple answer.” The Sphinx turned and motioned toward the stacks of books behind and to the right of the center podium. “Behold the history of your kind, section three, rows one through ten thousand. The records of House Stella begin near the front. If you are looking for records of your tribal lineage, I believe you’ll find your answer there.”

“Well then, let’s get started!” Starswirl set off in the direction of the first row of books. “Twilight, you take the second row and we’ll meet at the far end. Let me know if you find anything not documented in my book.”

“Nebula!” Twilight quickly replied. “The Book of the Goddess already said as much.” She turned her horn back to her pack and brought out the old book. Returning it to full size and placing it on top of the lectern, she opened to a middle page. “It’s right here!”

“You carry the One,” The Sphinx declared. “The original from which the Three derive.”

“I’m confused.” Starswirl gazed up at both Twilight and the Sphinx. “What are you talking about? One? Three? Nebula?”

“I’m sorry,” Twilight said. “I didn’t have time to explain before, but I just made the connection myself. There was another unicorn in your family tree. I think she was your aunt, Nebula. The book describes a falling out she had with the family, apparently over a young Earth pony colt she had fallen in love with. I think that’s how Starlight is related, I mean, she’s got your family name. It’s not too hard to connect the dots from there.”

“Where was that in my book?” Starswirl said, moving forward to approach the dais finally. “I’ve found no such reference to an aunt anywhere in my study.“

Twilight peered down over the page, scanning the symbols to refresh her memory of the story. “It’s here in a section that contains writing from both unicorn and Earth pony tribes. It looks like they each used a different written language, which I can somehow read — not sure why you can’t — and would explain why you never knew the truth about your family or that you seem to have some distant relations still living in this time.”

“The gift of tribal tongues is granted along with the Gift of the Goddess,” the Sphinx said. “As part of their curse on one another, the Priestess sisters drove their factions apart, confounding the language and making it impossible for one tribe to read the writings of another unless given their blessing to do so. As you are ascended, you have the ability to see past their illusions as well as those who are granted the sight.”

“So I can only read the parts written in the language of the unicorn tribe?” Starswirl said.

“Yes, and Starlight was able to read both the unicorn and Earth pony sections,” Twilight said. “And I can read the entire thing, even the pegasus glyphs.”

“Well that certainly explains a lot. And here I thought my decades of study on the subject would never be satisfied. Once again, I am shown to be inadequate for the task that comes so easily to those who surpass me.” Starswirl slumped to the ground. Having overcome so much in his life, only now to be shown the basic flaw in his reasoning that led to so many years of error and misdirected energy, felt like a slap in the face. On top of that, discovering familial ties that set his entire world view askew made him once again question himself in the most fundamental of ways.

“You’re wrong!” Twilight said edging forward and placing a hoof on Starswirl’s shoulder, comforting the old stallion in his grief. “I didn’t get where I am now if not for my friends. No pony can do this alone, and it’s amazing how far you came without the help of any pony else. I still look up to you and admire everything that you accomplished, and there’s no reason you should ever doubt yourself over that. A good student is one that can learn from a teacher. A great teacher is one that can learn from their students and also their own mistakes. Trust me, I’ve been there.”

Starswirl looked up at Twilight and smiled. “Thank you. I’ve always had to rely on myself to solve these sort of problems, and I guess I’m still learning to trust in others, like you.”

The two ponies sat, side by side, sharing the moment and reflecting on their shared experiences. The Sphinx kept its distance and also a watchful eye on the pair.

“For what it’s worth,” the Sphinx said, “trust is the hardest thing to earn and the easiest thing to lose. Pardon the obvious riddle, but there was a time when trust was freely given, but somewhere along the way that trust was lost. You say you are here on a mission to reclaim the staff, but I think the truth is much bigger than that. It is my fear that the three sisters will never regain that which they’ve lost unless the two of you and your companion can find a way to bring them together again.”

“Then why did you steal the staff in the first place?” Starswirl asked.

“I serve Volara and act as her emissary and mouthpiece as needed. Furthermore, I believed her to be the most capable to handle the power of the Fork of Destiny in the hopes of bringing the sisters back to terms. I fear now that is not the case, and she has become even more reclusive in the time since I brought her the staff. Always dwelling on the past, and never forgiving — a hard thing to do when a bond of trust is broken.”

“But how did that happen?” Twilight said. “What drove the sisters apart?”

“You, and others like you,” the Sphinx replied. “They fought one another for the staff, seeking to control whom of their respective tribes would receive the Gift. Wisdom is the first to lose when the others followed misguided Courage seeking Power. It took nearly one thousand years to even attempt a reconciliation after the first pair ascended. Even then, the constant fight for dominance means that in the end, all will lose, and you are the only way to fix that. Volara won’t listen to me, for I am only her servant. You must convince her and help her to trust again, or I fear we are doomed to repeat our past mistakes.”

“Then let’s hope Starlight is okay,” Twilight said. “If she’s set to become the next Alicorn, then she’s in a much better place than any of us to see that through.”

Starswirl thrust a hoof in the air. “She comes from strong House Stella stock. There is no doubt in my mind that she will see this quest through, or die trying.”

“Let’s also hope it doesn’t come to that,” Twilight said.

As the trio continued their discussion, the room began to swiftly grow brighter and brighter, washing out all sign of the rows of books and large feline beasts.

“I think we’re about to find out,” Starswirl said. “Brace yourself!”

The ponies huddled close together and shut their eyes as the light filled the space.


In a flash, the emptiness of the Eternal Plane lit in a blinding explosion of light. The Goddess stood with her crystallized mane refracting rainbow shafts from her glowing center so white it had to subside before Starlight could look directly at her. The children of the Goddess quickly bowed in her presence. Starlight’s cutie mark glowed with a smaller light of its own added to by a soft purple warmth given off from her coat amidst the reflection of the glorious display.

“My children,” the Goddess said, “I have watched from afar with a hope that the light of truth would illuminate your sight, enlighten your minds, and strengthen your bonds of love. Rise and report.”

Volara was the first to rise and respond. “Mother, as thy eldest daughter, I seek wisdom that I may prove myself worthy of thy gift. By protecting the collected experience of all ponykind, I hope to find favor in thy sight.”

Celeste spoke next. “Mother, as thy youngest daughter, I seek power that I may prove myself worthy of thy gift. By focusing the energy of all ponykind toward the future, I hope to find favor in thy sight.”

Terrara barely raised her head. Tears began to build up at the corners of her eyes. “Mother, I seek courage that I may… find forgiveness in thy sight. I sought to bring strength to my charge… but I have failed in my sacred duty. I humbly await my fated punishment.” She tried her hardest to hold back the tears as she stood, legs trembling, and eyes glued to the floor.

“My daughter, how it saddens me to see you in this state.” The Goddess moved over to Terrara and raised a wing to bring her in close for a hug. She raised a forehoof and stroked the Priestess’ mane while Terrara buried her nose deeper in her mother’s chest.

Raising her head and turning to her other children, the Goddess spoke to each in turn. “Celeste, even in thy youth, you choose to turn a blind eye to one in need and instead seek personal glory? Volara, having the wisdom to know better, you choose to remain silent and refuse to share your gifts for the betterment of all? And for what? Power? Leverage?”

“It was her own jealousy and greed that led to her present state, Mother,” Volara said. “I have alleviated her of the burden of bearing the staff.”

“If she would have just left well enough alone, we wouldn’t be in this mess,” Celeste added. “In any case, the staff should be mine.”

Still nestled beneath her mother’s wing and sporting a tear soaked face and disheveled mane, Terrara said, “How was I supposed to know that Starlight Glimmer would react the way she did?”

“We told you she wasn’t ready,” Celeste replied, “but you didn’t listen.”

“I’m right here,” Starlight said.

Celeste cocked her head to one side. “Well, I guess you’re fine now, but whatever. Still doesn’t give her the right to steal the Fork of Destiny.”

“I have heard enough.” The Goddess stood and lit her horn. The Fork of Destiny slipped effortlessly from Volara’s grasp. “My gift was meant to bring you together, not force you apart.” Floating through the void and holding steady at her side, the staff sparked and flashed in an acknowledgment of the return to its creator. The Goddess looked over her children with a somber and disappointed gaze.

The Fates shared her look of sorrow and turned away as she met their view. The anger and scorn they felt for one another paled in sight of their mother’s judgment of their actions.

The Goddess turned and unexpectedly faced Starlight. “I fear my children are unable to work together to resolve their differences even given substantial means with which to do so. It seems Destiny has brought you here today and may yet have a part for you to play should you have anything to suggest, Starlight Glimmer. What would you do if you were in my horseshoes?”

“Well…” Starlight said, taking a moment to consider the wide open options. “To start, each of them brought about their own personal curse that they need to overcome. Celeste needs to open her eyes and stop siphoning magic away from the focusing crystals in her cave. It’s not the kind of power she thinks it is, just like I discovered when I stole the cutie marks from an entire village of ponies. Volara needs to speak up and start talking to her sisters, sharing her knowledge. I know my friends can’t count on me to help if I just shut myself in my room. She needs to open up and let them know how much she cares. And Terrara, she needs to face her problems and let her sisters know how much they’ve hurt her. She needs their love and support, and she can’t be afraid to listen even when the truth is hard to take.”

Starlight paused a moment and rubbed her chin. An idea, perhaps, but not one she knew for sure would solve the problem. Looking up at the Goddess, in all her radiant beauty and power, she asked a question. “Is it possible to get rid of the staff?”

“Get rid of… Destiny?” Volara said.

“How would that help?” Celeste added.

The Goddess replied, “The Fork of Destiny is merely a token of my power, one of many granted to my children in order to assist them with their tasks in helping all pony-kind discover and achieve their purpose in life. It contains no essential powers in and of itself, but how would its destruction prove useful?”

“You’ll just have to trust me,” Starlight said. “Could I have the staff?”

The Goddess nodded. “It is yours to do with as you will, Starlight Glimmer. I trust in your ability to make the right choice.”

“Thank you.” Starlight took hold of the staff with her magic as the Goddess transferred it to her control. The others watched in painful hesitation.

Concentrating, Starlight felt the power of the staff calling out to her as she brought her plan to bear. A near-sentient force with the ability to fulfill all her dreams had tremendous pull. The urge to keep the staff and use its powers for good quickly crossed her mind and vanished in the blink of an eye. This time, she knew that she was in control, and she was the only one making the decision to end the staff’s influence once and for all.

The wood cracked. Splinters broke from the main shaft as the head prongs collapsed in on one another. Flames erupted at the collar, shooting blue-white sparks in all directions. In just a few moments, the deed was done. The Fork of Destiny crumbled into a pile of gray ash at Starlight’s hooves.

An audible sigh could be heard from at least two of the three sisters.

Starlight turned on them next. “With the staff gone, it’s going to be up to the three of you to work together as you should have from the beginning. You each have a job to do, and the only way you’re going to succeed is by helping each other and tapping into the greatest power of all — as Twilight would say — the magic of friendship!”

“But what about the Cradle?” Terrara said, still looking utterly defeated and debased. “I don’t have the strength to continue to keep it operating.”

“I’m pretty sure Volara can assist with the knowledge she has stored away, as long as you’ll listen to what she has to say. Celeste can help as well by directing the magic stored in her crystal cavern to help power it. I’m pretty sure that’s what should have been powering things from the start.”

“But that will leave me without the staff, and without the power of the crystals,” Celeste said. “I’m giving up everything I have, and I get nothing in return. It’s not fair.”

“You need to trust me as well,” Starlight said. “This magic of friendship is some pretty powerful stuff. If you’d just give it a try, I’m sure you’ll find it gives plenty in return. I didn’t think it would before I gave it a try, and I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.”

“Starlight,” Volara said, “I hate to tell you this, but we’ve been here before. If the past tells me anything, it’s that my sisters won’t listen. We’ll be right back to where we were just a moment ago in no time at all.”

Starlight looked Volara square in the face, glaring down a pony twice her size in full battle armor regalia. “And that’s why you need to be the example, Volara. You’re the oldest, and like it or not, your sisters look up to you. We all make mistakes, but that doesn’t mean you should give up on them. Help them. Be their friend. Be their sister. If you don’t believe in them, how are they supposed to believe in themselves?”

Volara took a deep breath. “Alright. You have my word that I will not give up on them, no matter how many times they fail to listen and learn.”

“Great!” Starlight said, finally smiling once again. “Now, can you all promise to start acting like family? I know you didn’t get to choose your siblings, but you’re all that you’ve got. You might as well be friends since immortality can be a very lonely existence otherwise.”

“Fine,” Celeste said. “I’ll give it a try as long as they do.”

“I’m willing to try as well,” Terrara said. “I’ve got nothing more to lose.”

“And everything to gain,” Starlight said. “Now, let’s get to work.”

“Thank you, Starlight Glimmer,” the Goddess said, beaming with a warm smile like a proud mentor whose student just aced an exam. “I’ll let my daughters get started so you can get some rest. I believe you’ve earned it.”

Starlight felt the tingle in her backside as her cutie mark pulsed in its typical mission accomplished sign. She bowed her head. “Thank you as well. I’m grateful for your trust, and I hope I’ll see you again, someday.”

“I have a feeling it is your Destiny, Starlight Glimmer. Farewell for now, and give my regards to Twilight and Starswirl.” The Goddess lit her horn and the void filled with a luminescence emanating from her central location.

Starlight closed her eyes as she felt herself slipping back into the plane of reality.


Sunlight sparkled off the memory crystals hanging from the old library roots draped above the cutie map in Twilight’s castle throne room. Three audible pops landed three tired and well traveled ponies in three of the seats around the table.

Starlight sighed in exasperation letting all four hooves hang limp as she slumped into the back of her chair.

Twilight and Starswirl took a moment to gather themselves, noting the oddly satisfying tingle of their own cutie marks.

“So, who’s ready to call it a night? I sure am!” Starlight smiled a coy and knowing tell. The others just looked at her, staring in disbelief, mostly at the lack of wings.

“I have so many questions,” Twilight said.

“And don’t forget about family,” Starswirl added. “I’ve got a lot to catch up on with you as well.”

Twilight continued, “First, the obvious one, aren’t you supposed to be an Alicorn?”

“Turned it down for now.” Starlight propped herself up from her slump. “I don’t think I’m ready to take on this whole world-saving princess business full time. I’ve got enough work as it is just being friends with one.” She smiled and chuckled.

“So what happened with the Fates? And where is the staff?” Starswirl said.

“Well, it’s kind of a long story, but the short version goes: I destroyed the Fork of Destiny in order to help the sisters focus on what’s really important — friends and family.”

Twilight replied, “But doesn’t that mean—”

“Magic is safe, and no pony is losing their cutie mark. Turns out the staff was the problem all along and the sisters just needed to move past it to get to the heart of the issue. Now, if you’ll both excuse me, we’ve all had a very long quest, and I think a good night’s sleep is in order.”

“Well, I guess I’m good if you’re good,” Starswirl said. “And maybe I have a reason to stick around a little longer now? Get to know my niece a little better before I head off to pasture, eh Starlight? I’m sure Twilight won’t object to my taking up one of her guest rooms for, let’s say, the foreseeable future.”

“That’s all I wanted all along,” Twilight said joining in the chuckle as she tossed off her traveling packs. “Promise you’ll fill me in on everything that happened with the sisters, and the Goddess — I still have questions that need answers. But as long as Equestria is safe for now, I’d say we’ve earned a little rest before the next crisis hits. ”

“I promise.” Starlight got down off her chair and headed for the door. “But don’t even start until I’ve had a good ten hours sleep, Twilight.”

“I don’t think the map has a snooze button,” Twilight replied as she and Starswirl followed her out the door.

“Another problem, for another day,” Starlight replied as the door to the throne room swung closed as the last pony exited and the map powered down for the night.