• Published 31st Oct 2015
  • 1,424 Views, 38 Comments

Twilight's Sister - MyShyPetRock



You know the life of Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor, but what about the life of the unwanted sister of the two? This is the story of Starry Night, the lost, forgotten, and unwanted sibling of Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
2
 38
 1,424

Stars in Her Very Eyes

“What a gorgeous sight you are,” Twilight Velvet cooed, her voice trailing ever so slightly as she whispered to the newborn filly.

A freshly knitted, wool quilt filled with ruffles and spiraled designs stood its place ever so importantly underneath Twilight Velvet and her newborn, keeping the fresh mother’s underbelly warm. This new foal was brought to this earth no more than three hours prior to this very moment. Neither the foal’s mother or father had gotten a good sight of her yet. Her birthing was so intense that every pony at the scene was targeted at pulling the poor, breach filly out of Twilight Velvet.
The little filly made the smallest of a sound, and her mother smiled and nuzzled her gingerly with her snout.

“I just haven’t gotten a clue of what to call such a beauty that is you!” Twilight Velvet pulled her nose away from her baby and laughed sympathetically.

The newborn giggled ever so slightly as well, and for the first time, she opened her fragile, winsome eyes. Twilight Velvet’s mouth hung open slightly, and she made the smallest bit of sound that came from deep within her throat. The eyes, the sweet filly’s eyes; they were the deepest shade of blue that she had ever seen. In those elegant eyes, she could just barely see the reflection of the stars. Twilight Velvet glanced behind her: where a vast window stood, its curtains drawn so you could see up, up, up to the heavens. Just before the heavens, though, there were the stars, the very stars that reflected off the filly’s eyes.

“I think I’ve come up with an idea. How about the name: Starry Night? Isn’t that just a wonderful name!” Twilight Velvet smiled, and scanned the features of the newly named filly. Identical to her mother and sister, a line of hair covered most of her forehead, the ends of it cut perfectly straight across. Tangles and curls fell loosely over Starry Night’s shoulders in an array of beautiful colors. A majority of Starry Night’s mane was a light blue, this magnificent color was surrounded by twirls and smudges of purple and white. The colors mixed so perfectly Twilight Velvet couldn’t help but laugh and laugh silently.

Twilight Velvet had been home from the hospital for a while now, but she had almost completely forgotten that she wasn’t alone as she was at the hospital. Twilight Velvet snapped her head up, wide eyed; excited and nervous at the same time. She had a sudden flashback of herself in the middle grades: standing wide eyed, legs a jell-oey substance; readying to share a presentation with her class.

This was the exact same thing!

Showing Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor their brand new baby sister.

The family room was dim, so the baby’s delicate eyes wouldn’t burn, but the light of the stars and the few wax candles that were crackling at each corner of the wool blanket gave Twilight Velvet enough light to see where the stairs were. Twilight Sparkle, who was no more than three, and Shining Armor who was just about seven, were told to stay in their rooms upstairs until told otherwise. Twilight Velvet was going to make them wait until tomorrow to see their new sibling, but she decided against that. She wanted them both to be there for the big reveal; the revealing of Starry Night’s horn.

She took a deep breath, and called their names.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Night Light, the newborn’s father, ran as fast as he could with a bag of new library books in his magical grasp. He hadn’t seen his child yet, for he was “much too busy” picking out books at the local library such as, “Why is My Filly Crying?” and “How To: Teach Your Little Unicorn Spectacular Magic.”

His breathing was heavy and deep, trying as hard as he could to reach his home without having a heart attack. It was raining; hard, and running wasn’t particularly Night Light’s passion, in fact, he hasn’t ran this fast since the third grade on field day!

He dodged a small house on the side of the pavement, and slid harshly around a tight curve, nearly dropping his bag of books.
He could finally see his home. ‘Soon,’ he thought, grinning, ‘Soon, I will meet my baby, and I’ll teach her how to use only the greatest magic in all of Equestria!’ With that, Night Light sped up the pace and didn’t stop until he reached his doorstep. His heart was pounding, from the running, and his new found excitement. He giggled happily, readying himself to see his newborn. He had been waiting for this very moment all day.

He slowly opened the door and he dropped his jaw in horror, and his bag of books fell to the floor.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Twilight Velvet had pulled back Starry Night’s thick mane for everyone to see. Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor were huddled around their sister, opposite of the door. Twilight Velvet’s eyes shrunk, and she nearly let a tear fall to the ground. Now, Night Light was standing, pale, in the doorway with eyes as wide as baseballs.

“Where is her horn, mommy?” Twilight Sparkle asked. But Twilight Velvet was speechless. She opened her mouth as if she was going to respond, but then clamped it shut again. Shining Armor’s face was scared. He knew that his father needed- wanted another unicorn foal, and when something this spectacular goes wrong, Shining Armor knew his father would have a meltdown.

Night Light’s face went from shocked, to complete anger. He charged at Starry Night, which was still being cradled by her mother, making Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor coward away, and Twilight Velvet cringe. Tears now ran down her red cheeks.

“Night Light, please don’t!” Twilight Velvet sobbed, her eyes clamped shut.

“No! I absolutely will! Get this- this atrocity out of my house this instant!” He yelled in Twilight Velvet’s face. This frightened the baby, which made her start to cry.

“No! I won’t! This is our baby we are talking about! Unicorn or not, she is our child and we will love her, just the way she is! So what if you can’t teach her magic? I’m sure she will grow up to be one of the smartest ponies in Equestria!” Twilight Velvet fought back, smiling a little at the end. She was attempting to make him see reason.

Night Light’s face glowed red, and it seemed as if he were about to scream again, that is until a petite voice piped in from below.

“Dad, give her a chance,” little Twilight Sparkle squeaked, tugging on her father’s hoof. He looked down at her. “Please!?” She squealed, eyes desperate.

He sighed. “Alright. Anything for you, Sweet Pea,” he laughed, picking Twilight Sparkle up with his two front hooves and spinning her around. “I suppose I could give her a shot.”
Shining Armor breathed a sigh of relief. Twilight Sparkle shot him a smug glance.

Though on the outside, Night Light was showing acceptance, on the inside he was still nastily pondering on how an earth pony would do in the presence of a unicorn's home.