• Published 27th Oct 2015
  • 2,214 Views, 16 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Obsolete - Alex Prior



Xenolestia, having conquered yet another world, runs into something new. Something... Unexpected.

  • ...
19
 16
 2,214

Chapter The Second: Establishment

As the Barrier was slowly but surely stretching outward from the Base Camp, the Elements of Harmony were preparing to unleash an ancient being of Chaos into the world.

Twilight gazed over the six ponies with a wide grin. Her Royal Highness had briefed her in her plans. She had to agree; it was a delicious idea.

“Begin.”

At her command, the Element Beares rose into the air. Laughter began glowing a gentle blue. Kindness followed with lush forest green, with Generosity at her coattails with a twilight purple. One by one, the Elements lit up, soon glowing with great intensity. A brilliant six-pronged rainbow connected the ponies, before bathing the proud statue in rainbows.

Cracks began forming into Discord’s prison. Flecks of stone began falling under the intensity of the Elements. The Draconequus, proud in his stance, strained his limbs. As the Rainbow of Light gave its last push, the prison exploded.

Shards of granite rained down on the coughing ponies as the former occupant stood tall, testing out his newfound freedom. With a snap, he had conjured himself a coat and a cane, complete with a top hat.

And he laughed. Clouds of cotton candy converged above his cackling form as an unknown orchestra was pelting out dischord after dischord.

Personally, Twilight found it rather boring. Her passion lied in science and politics, not music. Nonetheless, she considered the moment to be a prudent one for opening her mouth.

“Greetings, Discord.”

The Draconequus froze. He turned. His eyes widened. His pupils shrank. In a flash, his gleeful expression was gone, and his muzzle was pressed on hers. “YOU.”

It was not a happy greeting. The Lord of Chaos was quite livid, and it showed. Admittedly, the burning, Aku-like eyebrows might have been a clue. Unfortunately, Discord didn’t let her muse long on his appearance.

“You are the reason my friends are dead.” The music stopped. “It was your greed that cost me the only friendship I’ve ever known. And you STILL live?” His breathing was becoming ragged, as his rage was clearly fighting with something else, something the unicorn didn't recognize. Twilight leveled him a cool glare.

“Silence, Discord. Their deaths are precisely your own fault. While I must admit that yes, I do live with it, I do have to confess that it is not something that bothers me much.” She allowed herself a smile. “But let bygones be bygones, Discord. We are here to set your noodly flank free. I do hope you’re being grateful here.”

Discord glared. “Frankly, Twilight Sparkle, I don’t particularly care. I will not be falling for any of your tricks and you know what, I will not be letting you out of my sight.”

Twilight’s expression grew cold. “No, Discord. You will leave. After all,” and here she smiled pleasantly, “We even found you a planet to live on.”

A gasp was heard behind her. The Element of Laughter flew to her. “Twilight! Have you forgotten what he did? We can’t let him roam free!”

The spectacled unicorn frowned. “I haven’t forgotten, my niece. But orders are orders, and I feel it would be for the best in the long run.”

“Which is exactly why I’ll be staying here to keep an eye on you,” interjected the Lord of Chaos. “I don't trust any of your plans, nor you behind them.”

Twilight’s expression remained unchanged. “I must go and inform Her Royal Highness of this development.” She turned tail and walked away in calm, measured steps.

The Element of Honesty trotted up to Discord. “Who you trust or won’t trust is irrelevant. Whatever you do, you will be playing straight to our hooves anyway.” With that parting remark, and a condescending pat on his back, she trotted off to find Laughter.

-----

He flew.

Across rivers and mountains he flew.

Over cities and towns he soared.

Through forests and jungles he glided.

All with one, singular goal in mind.

To find them.

To see them.

To know he had not gone mad.

To, perhaps, just perhaps...

Hope.

-----

“Silver?”

No answer. The asker frowned. “Silver, dearie. Where are you?”

Silence. She sighed. “Silver, It’s Luna.” No answer was forthcoming. Luna closed her eyer in resignation. Her charge must’ve been hiding somewhere in the manor.

Luna slinked through the empty halls, occasionally calling for Silver. She paused in front of a large, hall-length mirror.

The reflective surface showed her an image she did not want to see. A massive serpentine shape, bound in scales of lush forest green and flaming orange. With a sigh, she lifter her metallic hoof and shattered the mirror. If it weren’t for Silver, she’d have no mirrors in the manor at all. Luna called out again.

“I broke a mirror, darling. Wouldn’t you like to fix it? Like you always do?”

Silence. Luna sighed and trotted forth.

-----

Once again, the council held a meeting.

“They have put up a barrier of some sort, my lady.”

“....”

“Our spectrometers have not been able to glean any details from there.”

“Oh don’t be such a worrywart, good chap! I’m sure we just frightened them a little, and it’ll all be cleared up in half an hour or so.”

“....”

“Oh, you have something to add, Scar?”

The silent one remained immobile. Then scores of symbols began appearing in the air, eventually forming a crown shape.

“Wow.”

“Good heavens! Are you sure, my friend?”

Pause. Nod.

“Hmph.”

“My lady?”

The seemingly slumbering shape rose. “I do not like this. Has the Founder arrived there yet?”

Pause. The crown symbols shifted and dispersed, leaving a new shape resembling wings. There was a feminine growl.

“He’s STILL in flight? What in the name of the Stars is that old fool doing!?”

There was collective shrugging. A sound not unlike an equine snort was heard.

“He better show up quickly. Too much is at stake for him to forfeit now.”

Her cohorts showed only agreement.

-----

Xenolestia was in an amiable mood when Twilight arrived.

“There you are, Twilight. How’s Discord?”

The unicorn bowed. “He is showing high levels of paranoia towards us, Your Highness. He also does not trust us.”

The alicorn snorted. “Of course he doesn’t. Why should he? Considering what your battle took, it’s a wonder he’s even here. I take it he’s not defecting, then?”

Twilight shook her head. “He is not.”

The Solar Queen clapped her front hooves together. “Well then! Let us leave the Elements to look after him for now.” She leaned forward. “So tell me, my trusted advisor. Have you thought of getting those fancy wings back?”

Twilight sighed. “I have, Your Highness. The answer is still no. You know why. You are our leader. It is not my position to undermine it with a sudden gaining of wings. Our ponies need to look up to you, not me.” She fixed her Queen a glare. “It is not like you have forgotten what happened last time.”

Xenolestia shrugged her wings. “Worth a try, Twilight. Worth a try.”

Author's Note:

I think I like creating mysteries. All the characters I've named, and some I haven't...

Let's play a game, people. Let us see if you can guess their identities, their 8ackstories.
Oftentimes, things aren't what they seem...

And reading is not the only fun that can 8e had here.
:::;)