• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 1,755 Views, 6 Comments

Son of Sombra - Stargazer42



Lock Light is the adopted son of King Sombra, the one who has enslaved and ruled the Crystal Empire with an iron hoof. What will he do when he finds out his true destiny, and falls in love?

  • ...
6
 6
 1,755

Prologue

“Marshal Saber sir,” Lieutenant Fire Shine said snapping to attention and slightly panting “sir. Begging to report.”

“What is it Lieutenant?” Field Marshal Frost Saber said nonchalantly.

“Sir,” he said excitedly “the war’s over. The king has just announced it. We can…go home sir.”

Frost Saber paused and thought. It had been two years. Two long years since he had seen his son Lock Light. He wondered how big he’d gotten. Had he learn to fly faster than the other Pegasi in the Crystal Empire? He didn’t know, but he was secretly excited to find out.
He nodded toward Fire Shine “Good job Lieutenant,” he said “inform the troops. We’re going home.”

Frost Saber boarded the train which would take them to the capital. When they finally arrived after two days, amid the cheering crowds was one Pegasus flying above them which caught his eye. A pudgy butternut tan, black maned foal with a…was that a…cutie mark?

Field Marshal Frost Saber was ecstatic. Before he left, his son was a blank flank, and now he had his cutie mark. Lock Light caught his father’s eye, and dashed over tumbling into his arms as they rolled over each other on the platform. Laughing together, Lock Light shouted “Dad, dad! I got my cutie mark!”

“Really son?” Frost Saber exclaimed trying unsuccessfully to feign surprise “what is it?”

“Do you wanna know how I got it?”

“Well,” Saber said bouncing up and down with his son “first, tell me what it is.”

“It’s a golden bow shooting an arrow shaped like a key!” Lock Light said “now do you want to know how I got it?”

“Yes son,” Marshal Saber said smiling “tell me about it, on our way home.”

They trotted out of the crowds, though only an earth pony, Marshal Saber proudly carried his own suitcases and bags in a cart just like every other pony. He didn’t do anything himself which he wouldn’t ask of his soldiers, and they loved him for it. Lock Light flew around in lazy circles, in front, above, to left and right, all the while relating his story of how he got his cutie mark.

“…and then,” Lock Light said “then I was like swoosh! And then I shot the arrow and I got my cutie mark after that, because, I had spent all day in trying to find out how to get that perfect shot, and instead of trying and failing like the other ponies, I read everything I could about archery and applied it and the moment I hit the bulls-eye, it just suddenly appeared!”

“That’s just great son,” Saber said “that’s fantastic! Now, what would you like for dinner?”

“Mmmm,” Lock Light pondered “how about, some hay burgers?”

“Haven’t you had enough of those already son?” Saber retorted.

“Good point,” Lock Light said “probably, wanna just have some fresh vegetables I got from the garden? I’ve been doing a good job of tending it while you were away.”

“That will do us just fine son,” Saber said as they approached their little stone cottage. Lock Light darted in and got the cooking fire going, he then put a cooking pot over the fire, and promptly made a vegetable soup. Marshal Saber tasted it, and his face brightened.

“Son,” he asked “where did you learn to cook like this?”

“My teacher taught me,” Lock Light said “I never told her that I was living alone, and said that mom needed a new recipe, so I asked if she could teach me.”

Frost Saber felt a large lump in his throat at the memory of the loss of his wife, when he suddenly shook his head and asked “You’ve lived alone for two years?”

“Yeah,” Lock Light said nonchalantly “I didn’t want a babysitter for that long, I’d seen the other foals…”

“But you could have been killed!” Frost Saber said standing up furious “I thought I had arranged everything! Why didn’t obey me! I just wanted to keep you safe!”

“I know,” Lock Light said hanging his head “but…I also knew that if I’d did everything you’d taught me, and that if I’d follow the rules of our home…then…I’d be okay. And, here I am.”

Frost Saber looked down at his brave son, and suddenly, embraced him with tears coming to his eyes “Oh,” he said “I’m sorry son. It’s just that if I lost you, I would have lost the last thing that I loved in this whole world.”

Embracing him back Lock Light cried “I’m just glad you’re home dad.”

With that, they let go and began eating together again. That night, Lock Light had slept more soundly than he had ever done in two years. His father, after all this time, was finally home.

Marshal Saber on the other hand wasn’t having a great dream. The clash of swords, the whoosh of arrows and the bashing of shield against armor raged in his mind. He tossed and turned in his bed as he worried about what may have happened to his son. In his dream, he was fighting a yak, a gigantic one. He had four eyes and stomped around him crushing his soldiers. He screamed “No!”

Waking up, he found himself in a cold sweat. He looked down at his son and saw him curled up next to him, fast asleep. He smiled. The war is over, he thought they’re all memories now. He wiped his brow with a hoof, tucked his son in again. And fell asleep.
The next morning they got up. Even though the war was over, Lock Light still had to attend school.

They were going on a field trip that day, Frost Saber volunteered to act as a second chaperone for the trip into the Crystal Mountains. In a high mountain pass, after about two hours walk, they were attacked by Chimera. The beast leapt down from the cliff edge from where it had been stalking the group and pounced on the back of Frost Saber. Frost Saber valiantly fought the beast, though he was clearly outmatched. The foals and the other chaperone fled to a small cave that was beside the trail and hid themselves. The Chimera slashed left and right, but Frost Saber taunted him, trying to lead him away from the foals. When the Chimera caught sight of easier pray and stalked towards them.

Frost Saber head butted him and stent him skidding across the trail. There was still some snow fall above the cave roof, so Frost flew up and kicked it down in a small avalanche, which protected the foals. Lock Light, desperate to help his only family, tried to dig his way out of the snow, but the other foals and the chaperone held him back. He screamed, he bit, he fought, and kicked, but nothing would make them let go. The snow had only partially covered the entrance, and a small hole, big enough for him to poke his head out was open. He did so and saw his father still fighting off the Chimera. His father met his eyes and worked his way to him so that his back was almost touching the snow wall. He then said to Lock Light ‘Remember this my son, I’ll always love you, always protect your friends and family!’ Lock Light screamed ‘Dad!’ and Frost Saber was slashed in the back from behind. The Chimeraroared in triumph as Lock Light screamed in terror.

Lock Light, his sloppy mane folding over his forehead causing him to constantly brush it away, his eyes brimming with tears as he struggled and fought out of the tiny hole to go to the cliff’s edge. He stared downwards, but he saw nothing. He tried to keep a stiff upper lip, but eventually, he broke down in tears. The next pony to follow him, was another Pegasus, he was black, except for bolts of white lightning on his hoofs and in his mane. He trotted over and asked him “Are you alright?”

“No,” Lock Light said “my dad is dead.”

“I’m sorry,” the other foal said putting his arm around him “would you like some help?”

“I don’t know how you can help me,” Lock Light said “I…”

“LOCK LIGHT,” a harsh voice said from behind the snow barrier “get back here this instant! Step AWAY from that edge!”

“I won’t go!” Lock Light said standing up indignantly and wiping away his tears “my dad died protecting us, and this is where he fell. I wanted to see...”

“There could be another Chimera about,” the chaperone said also coming out “you will stay with the rest of the group. We’re going back to the Royal Palace.”

“I’ll go when I want to go,” Lock Light said glaring up at his chaperone, who was also his teacher “my dad died today, don’t you get it!”

“I understand your grief,” the chaperone said “but we’ll ALL get in trouble.”

“Don’t worry Miss Prim,’ said the pony next to Lock Light “I’ll see to that father doesn’t punish any of us.”

“Your majesty,” said Miss Prim “I doubt that your father…”

“Could see reason from his own son?”

“Well,” Miss Prim said “you’re only a foal…”

“You forget your place ma’am,” the pony said “I AM your superior. You swore fealty to my father and therefore to me. YOU will do as I say, whether you like it, approve of it, or desire of it or not.”

“Yes, your highness,” Miss Prim said sheepishly.

The prince turned to face Lock Light “What would you like to do now Lock?”

“Could we just wait here a little bit? I’d like to spend some time…”

“I understand,” turning to face the rest of them “we’ll wait here for a few minutes until Lock Light has recovered, and then, he will lead us back down.”

Lock Light looked up at his new friend “Thank you. What’s your name?”

“White Lightning old chap,” he said lifting his hoof as Lock Light shook it “and don’t worry, as I said, I understand.” ===================================================================================================

Several years later, Lock Light and White Lightning flew over the rooftops of the Crystal Empire, zigzagging through lamp posts, and darting through the back allies of their home. White Lightning, a fully fledged Alicorn now, looked back at his brother “Last one to the colosseum is bird turd,” he exclaimed.

Lock Light spurred his wings to go faster and shot past White Lightning “Not if I can help fat belly!”

White Lightning flew so fast that they were neck and neck. They both broke the sound barrier and several windows as they shot towards the main court yard of the Crystal Castle. A pony drawing a heavy cart loaded with mason bricks was walking in the middle of their flight path. White Lightning looked worried, but Lock Light grinned and sped onwards. Not to be outdone by his brother, White Lightning flew parallel with him. The pony drawing the cart looked up and spooked, but his cart got caught on a cobblestone he couldn’t get over. Trying desperately to get out of the way, he ducked, and White Lightning and Lock Light shot over his head like twin ballista bolts. The cart pony looked back at them, and breathed a sigh of relief, when the sonic boom slammed right into him and knocked him over and smashed his cart, spilling all of the bricks. Getting up, he shook his hoof at the two princes as they dashed headlong for the castle.

Once there, they both flew under the central archway, and split up, Lock Light going right and White Lightning going left, then together, they slammed through the doors which led to the main balcony and skidded to a halt. The older ponies of the court, which were heading towards them and about to shoo them out of the way, were suddenly knocked back on their haunches because of the sonic boom which burst in and shattered all of the stained glass. Laughing uproariously, they both trotted over towards the entrance to the lower halls, when they were confronted by King Sombra.

Looking at both of them, he gestured and said “Colts, to my throne room, at once!”

In King Sombra’s throne room, he looked at both of them, closed his eyes, and sighed “Why,” he said “must I have to deal with such reckless and fool hardy sons as you two.”

“Father,” White Lightning said “we weren’t in any harm.”

“Yes,” he retorted “perhaps you weren’t. But others were. Though I may rule this kingdom with an iron hoof, I will not have it destroyed because of your arrogance and negligence.”

“Father,” Lock Light said “I am the one who challenged White Lightning. Please, let me face the blame.”

“No,” White Lightning interjected “you’re right father. I am the one to blame, and will take my responsibility.”

“Why must it always be you,” Lock Light said “why can’t I share your responsibility brother, after all, it takes two to make a disaster.”

“Silence!” King Sombra shouted, and then he looked at them both, embraced them both, and smiled “my sons. If anything were to happen to you. I don’t know what I would do. You, White Lightning, the heir to my throne, and you Soldier’s Son. I love you both as my foals. But you must be more responsible. For one day, I will die, and be lost forever, and you will have to rule in my stead.”

White Lightning and Lock Light looked at each other, silently mouthing their father’s words to each other. They’d heard the lecture a thousand times.

“I will punish neither of you,” King Sombra said finally when he let go of them “for I see that no wrong was done, nor justice need satisfying. However, I’m sure that you will attend the welcoming ceremony that I have for our dignitaries from Equestria tonight?”

“Certainly father,” they both responded.

“Because White Lightning,” King Sombra said facing him “today, I will announce you as my one true heir, formally and officially, in front of the entire Empire. Are you ready for our Tournament?”

“Yes father,” White Lightning said standing to attention.

“No you’re not,” King Sombra said arrogantly “if you were ready then you would have been training up until I sounded the start of the tournament instead of wasting time with your brother.”

White Lightning put his head down and stood there ashamed. King Sombra looked at him and said “You both have my permission to go.”
White Lightning walked out of the court room and slammed the door with his magic. Lock Light still stood there. Quizzically, King Sombra asked “Why are you still here my son?”

“Father,” Lock Light said “why can’t I also share responsibility and blame for the faults and problems which I bring to both White Lightning and I? Surely, it mustn’t always be his fault.”

“He must learn responsibility my son,” King Sombra said “you are a stronger and faster flyer than he will ever be, perhaps, even a better fighter. But he will be king one day, even as I am king. He must learn to control his emotions, but above all, to judge wisely and to act on it when he has done so.”

“But father,” Lock Light said “must he always have this burden?”

“The one who is king,” King Sombra said “will always carry the blame. History, will be written by those who survive to write it. Those who seek to lay blame and call one evil or good, great or lesser, are mere irrelevant scholars who know nothing of what it takes to rule and govern a nation with a scepter. Neither a prince nor king can rule, if they have not the heart for it.”

“But can’t one also have the heart to show compassion father?” Lock Light asked.

“Compassion is for those who are weak my son,” King Sombra said “love and fealty, loyalty and respect, are attributes of those who are at heart, weak. One cannot be king and have such feelings son, for sometimes, a king must decide to do what is best for his country, when others would shrink from the prospect.”

King Sombra nodded at him and Lock Light bowed and left the throne room.

The ceremony for that night was for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna who were the Diarchy of Equestria. They were attending the Royal Tournament of Champions. Only the best fighters and flyers could attend. They were drawn from the furthest corners of the Empire for Sombra’s pleasure, and it was in this tournament, that Lock Light wished to participate. He couldn’t formally, because he was a member of the royal family, and traditionally, it was a right of passage for the heir of the throne to fight in and win. Whomever won, received the title of heir to the Empire.

He knew that he probably wouldn’t win, that was White Lightning’s job. White Lightning was a good flyer and had a strong kick, but Lock Light always let him win at the last minute, just so that White Lightning could save face with their father. It was more important for him to do that than anything else.

White Lightning stood behind the doors which led into the colosseum. He was shaking slightly, with nervousness, and Lock Light flew up to him. Startled White Lightning said “Hey, watch it.”

“Sorry,” Lock Light said “did I scare you?”

“Scare? Me?” White Lightning laughed nervously “why would I be nervous on a day like this? If I lose, I won’t be proclaimed heir. Well, maybe, but it won’t be a clean reception and father will be irate with me if I don’t…”

“Then don’t think about it,” Lock Light said punching him in the shoulder “you’ll do just fine, just take a breath and kick rump!”

“That’s easy for YOU to say,” White Lightning said “YOU’RE not actually IN this tournament.”

“Oh really?” Lock Light said taking out a mask and putting it on while flying slowly away “let’s just say, let the best pony win and I’ll see you on the field.”

“Hey!” White Lightning shouted after him, but at that moment King Sombra’s voice bellowed over the combat grounds.

“Mares and stallions,” King Sombra “tonight, we have the honor of two Princesses from the land of Equestria joining us, for our Royal Tournament of Champions!”

The crowds cheered and went wild, as King Sombra continued “Please welcome, before our presence, is Princess Celestia and Princess Luna who are the Royal Sisters of Equestria. They will be joining me, as we watch this tournament, which has brought the toughest, the meanest, the fastest, and the brightest fighters from within the borders of the Crystal Empire! The stage is set, the pace is established, let the tournament BEGIN!!”

The doors slid open, and one hundred fighters stepped out and immediately began attacking each other. The ponies cheered or booed one fighter or another. In the sky, Lock Light, now wearing his blue mask, knocked out two other Pegasi with four swift kicks and they fell. The earth ponies down below finished them off. He scanned the floor and saw White Lightning desperately fighting three other ponies. He slashed and stabbed with his horn but he wasn’t going to last long. Lock Light dove and pounded one of White Lightning’s attackers to the ground, knocking the wind out of him. He kicked the other in the back right leg and then across the chin.

White Lightning recovered and kicked the last assailant to the ground by kicking at his knees. He looked at the strange pony with the blue mask, who suddenly winked at him. Understandingly, they jumped up and flew together. Lock Light bowled several attackers over and they leapt into the fray, legs kicking, teeth biting, horns stabbing, and soon, there were only six ponies left. One, who was three times the size of Lock Light, charged at him bellowing a war cry. Lock Light darted upward at the last second, and the pony’s spear caught the pony who was attacking White Lightning in the face. White Lightning broke the spear in two, and Lock Light kicked the pony in the back of the head. There were now four others apart from them. White Lightning and Lock Light fought back to back, two ponies each. They wheeled around like a furious windmill of horns and hoofs, their wings beating so strongly that they created a miniature tornado which sucked in the remaining attackers and launched them out of the arena. Panting, and breathing hard, they started to laugh, when King Sombra’s voice brought them back to reality,

“Mares and stallions,” he said “I give you your final contestants. Who will be proclaimed heir to my throne? Let’s find out, let the winner bleed the other to the death!”

They looked at each other, but White Lightning was suddenly back on his feet and ready to go, Lock Light braced himself, and they charged at each other. Their horns flashing in the bright light of the arena, both bruised and battered, worn out through continuous fighting which had lasted a good ten hours. But suddenly, White Lightning tripped on the body of a fallen fighter and collapsed face first on the ground. Lock Light stood over White Lightning, who was groaning and slowly getting up.

“What are you waiting for contestant,” King Sombra said “finish him!”

Lock Light looked up. All around him the voices of the ponies were chanting “Finish him, finish him, finish him!”

Then, Lock Light walked over White Lightning and helped him up. The crowd booed and King Sombra was incensed exclaiming “What?”

He teleported down to the arena floor from his box seat and slammed a hoof into masked Lock Light’s chest, knocking him down asking “Who are YOU to defy me?!”

“Father,” White Lightning said rushing to Lock Light’s side “please, don’t hurt him.”

“You coward,” King Sombra shouted at White Lighting “how dare you stop me from killing him!”

“But father,” White Lightning began, but at that moment Lock Light removed his mask.

The crowd gasped. King Sombra was shocked into silence. A deadly calm hushed the entire arena. Sombra looked from one pony to the next, and then asked “How…did this…happen?”

“I planned it father,” Lock Light said, getting up slowly and standing rigidly before him “I wanted to see how well I’d do in your tournament. I didn’t know I would make it to be the last pony, but it should be White Lightning who has the honor. He is YOUR heir.”

King Sombra turned his back on them and said “Heir, no longer.”

“What?” White Lightning exclaimed “you can’t do that father!”

“I can,” King Sombra said turning back and facing them with passionate fury “because I AM KING. My word is law, and my will is my word! You may be an Alicorn White Lightning, and you may even be my flesh and blood, but you are NOT, MY, HEIR!”

His words echoed across the stadium which caused every pony within earshot to flinch, but they daren’t do anything to obvious. They could be killed for even flinching in Sombra’s current mood.

“Father,” White Lightning began but Sombra cut him off with a gesture.

“Mares and stallions,” he said shouting “today, I was going to appoint the heir to my throne, your future king and the one who would have proven themselves worthy to take my place when I am gone. I hereby name, with my authority and my power, in front of all of you, my subjects as witnesses, Lock Light, the son of Frost Saber, to be my heir and Prince of the Crystal Empire!”

The ponies remained silent. Princess Celestia nodded towards Princess Luna, and silently, they teleported out of the castle and then flew off into the night back towards Equestria .White Lightning, tears of hot fury running down his cheeks, choked as he said “But father, Lock Light would then have to be an Alicorn. He’s only a Pegasus, he can’t be royalty unless he’s…”

“Then let it be so,” King Sombra said as his eyes glowed white and his horn did likewise. Lock Light screamed as a tormenting pain in his forehead grew and grew. He shut his eyes, fell into blackness, and remembered nothing more.