• Published 31st May 2012
  • 1,293 Views, 24 Comments

An old timers tale - Ecthelion_Yuda



Applebloom goes back home after 70 years, looking back on her life and how it lead to this point.

  • ...
2
 24
 1,293

Second stop: No more Sunshine

As the train pulled into the station in Limmerick, it dawned on me that I had never actually come to see Ray’s home. This was my very first time in the Emerald Isle and I couldn’t help but smile at the prospect that I would be able to see Ray again. In spite of how terrible I felt, I knew that Ray would be willing to talk to me at least. It may have taken fifty years, but his Applebloom was finally back, and she was coming to see him again.

Ray had always been popular all over Equestria, but in the Emerald Isle he had achieved an almost deistic status. Limmerick in particular was proud of Ray and he had managed to get himself elected mayor at least three times. That really was Ray summed up in one neat package, he would do everything in his power to make life better for the people in Limmerick and he even donated a huge portion of his company’s worth to build an orphanage and a hospital. I recall wondering what he had ever seen in me, if he was so perfect and I was simply the opposite.

Slowly, I walked through the streets looking around for Ray. I felt it impertinent to try and find him at the Town Hall, so I allowed myself to wander around until about six o’clock. However, once I deemed it acceptable to find his house, I went to the nearest police pony and asked him where I could find Ray. At first the stallion didn’t realise who I was talking about (probably because he had always heard Ray being referred to as Mayor O’Sunshine), but once the penny dropped he instructed me to head to the nearest graveyard, that he was probably there.

My heart shattered in an instant. He couldn’t be dead, that wasn’t possible. Someone so good as him should never die, the world needed more people like him. I ran as swiftly as my aged aching limbs would allow me towards the graveyard. The tall Iron Gate creaked mournfully in the wind. Storm clouds were rolling in from the horizon and a soft growl of thunder rang out in the distance. The world turned a dull grey hue as I walked through the forest of tomb stones. The stones were arranged in neat and tidy rows, like streets in a city. Numb with shock I kept walking, keeping a watchful eye out for the one name that I dreaded to see more than any other.

I had believed myself to be alone in the graveyard, but after a few minutes of aimless wandering I saw another pony. He wore a long beige coat and I could barely make out the deep blue tint on his muzzle. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind blew his coat out behind him like a cape and now he was very clearly visible.

My heart skipped a beat.

His fur had lost some of its louster, and he had clearly lived a long life, but it was definitely him laying a fresh rose on a large headstone. The silver mound matched the colour that his mane had turned in his years of life and it took me a moment or two to build up the courage to speak at all.

“Hello Ray.”

The old stallion stood bolt upright. He hadn’t expected anyone else to be here with him obviously, and he certainly had not expected me to be there. Slowly, he turned around and I could see the full effects of the years on his once proud and strong face. Wrinkles now adorned the cheeks that I had once kissed, deep valleys had formed on his forehead, forcing his eye-brows permanently down. But in spite of all of that, he was still the most beautiful creature in all of Equestria.

“A-Applebloom?”

He recognised me, that much was certain. Whether or not he wanted to see me was an entirely different question. I nodded slowly, refusing to let my gaze leave the grass at my hooves. I couldn’t bring myself to look directly at him anymore

“Well, it took you long enough to come back.” There was a broad smile on his face as I looked up, somewhat confused by his seemingly jovial expression. Suddenly, the clouds released a torrent of freezing water down on top of us. I was soaked to the bone in seconds, but Ray ran over and threw his coat over me. “Come on, let’s get you out of this rain. There’s a café just down the road.”

Ray led me to a booth on the far side of the café and we sat down by a window. The rain pelted the side of the building like a volley of arrows, but I felt safe once again with Ray beside me. He bought us both a mug of hot cider and I asked him whose grave he was visiting. He shut his eyes and I caught a glimpse of what might have been shame on his face.

“Her name was Hilary.” He spoke softly, his voice catching in his throat only once. I needed no further explanation. I won’t lie, I was very hurt by the prospect of Ray having met someone else. Part of me wished that Ray had been as hung up on me as I had been on him. But that wasn’t fair. Just because I hadn’t moved on didn’t mean that Ray couldn’t. And more than anything I was glad that somepony had been able to make Ray happy when I no longer could. That was all that mattered.

“She worked at a restaurant that I used to frequent. One night she came over to me on her break and sat down beside me. We talked for a while and before too long we officially started seeing each other.” Noting the somewhat downcast look on my face Ray widened his eyes in the realisation of what he was saying to me. “No, no Applebloom. I didn’t mean it like that at all. This was at least two years after I left you, it wasn’t as immediate as you might have thought. Sorry for not making that clearer.”

I told Ray that he was being ridiculous and that he didn’t have to apologise for anything at all. Everything that had happened was entirely my fault and I had to let him know how sorry I was. I asked him to continue his story, and after a little bit of persuasion he acquiesced.

“Well, about three years after that she managed to convince me to propose to her. We had many happy years together and had three beautiful children together. My eldest, Dusk Star is away at University in Canterlot right now, but Applebloom is still in Limmerick.”

I thought that my ears had deceived me. Ray had named his daughter after me, even after everything that I had put him through. I couldn’t believe it, he remembered me that fondly that he actually chose to leave my name attached to his child.

“Believe me, Applebloom, it took a fair bit of convincing to get Hilary to agree to that one, but I managed to convince her.” His head drooped slightly and a tear formed in the corner of his eye. “Hilary died, shortly after the birth of our third child, Rex. But we both agreed that it had been a fantastic adventure and I was glad that I had been privileged enough to be a part of it.” After taking a moment to dry his eyes, he turned his gaze to me, friendly and jovial once again. “So Applebloom, did anypony ever get lucky enough to tie you down?”

I looked straight into the clear green crystals of his eyes, feeling myself being drawn in deeper and deeper to the heart of the stallion who I had loved all those years ago. It took me a moment to gather my will to speak and I knew I couldn’t lie to him.

“No,” the whisper barely escaped my lips I spoke so softly. “No, there was only you Ray. There was only ever you for me. No one else even came close to you.” I watched the pain spread across Rays face. I never intended to upset him, but he deserved to know that I never did forget him, I never did get over him. When he left, my life ended.

He sighed once and looked straight at me. He firmly placed his hoof on mine and held it like he had so long ago. “I’m so sorry Applebloom. I really did mean for you to have a good life. I wanted nothing but the very best for you.”

I smiled at him as sweetly as I could. It had taken me sixty years, but this was the first time that I had ever been able to make Ray O’Sunshine blush. We talked well into the night, about everything that we remembered. That conversation was the first time I think I ever used the phrase “the good old days,” and funnily enough every single one of them involved Ray. We sat and laughed like two teenagers once again.

As the moon began to sink once again and the catering staff became more and more fidgety, we decided that it would be a good idea to take our leave. We paid for our drinks and left.

Walking along by a park, I huddled in close to Ray as I had once so very long ago. I half expected him to move away from me, or to explain that it was inappropriate for me to make such advances on him, but he simply held me close. I shut my eyes and let myself feel young again, a bright strong young mare, ready to take on the world with a brave and brilliant stallion beside me supporting me all the way. The illusion faded quickly, but it still felt nice to imagine what we could have been.

As we walked, we drew nearer and nearer to the train station. Both of us knew that I was not going to be able to stay for long, but Ray wanted to spend as much time with me as possible. The station came into sight and as we stood by the gate my legs refused to take another step forward. I was finally with Ray again, we were finally together and could live out the rest of our lives as a couple. But that would be too selfish of me. I had my chance with Ray, and I sacrificed it for a bag of gold.

The train pulled into the station and the conductor called out for all passengers to board. Ray walked me to the platform and helped me put my bag on the train. Before I could get on myself, Ray grabbed me by the shoulder. He turned me around and kissed me. I couldn’t remember the feel of Rays kiss, but once our lips met all of the reasons why I had ever loved him in the first place came back to me. I moved in close to him, relishing in the passion of our last kiss before parting ways one final time.

I took my seat on the train and before it pulled away I leaned out of the window. “Well, Ray, I’m so glad that I got the chance to see you again. But I think we both know that our adventure would have been one for the history books.”

Ray chuckled softly and glanced at the sky with an exasperated look on his face. “I bet it would. But hey, who knows, maybe we’ll get our chance again in another life eh Applebloom?”

“I look forward to it.” I smiled for the last time at Ray O’Sunshine and as the train pulled away I cried out to him. “Live well, Ray O’Sunshine, you deserve it!” He shouted something back at me, but the trains whistle blew and I couldn’t hear it. Within a few seconds the town of Limmerick was vanishing into the distance. I took my seat, rolled up the window and sat there on the train, tears welling up in my eyes. Only one stop left on my farewell tour, I thought, as the train sped through the night towards Ponyville. I still had one more apology to make and I prayed that I had the strength to make this final journey.

And here I am, sitting in the first class carriage of the train from Limmerick to Ponyville heading back to a home that probably won’t even remember my name. I hope that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are there, I need to be with them again. The train pulls into the station and I leave my bag on the train. I won’t need it anymore and it will just weigh me down. This is the final stop that I have to make. I just pray that I can make it to them in time.