• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 905 Views, 6 Comments

Devotion - That1Brony3



Applejack and Rainbow Dash want to be together, but many obstacles stand in their way.

  • ...
7
 6
 905

Revelations

I stood in the middle of the east orchard at Sweet Apple Acres. Rather, I sat among the branches of an apple tree. It's fruits, held by the branches, glistened, covered with water from the rain I had just cut off. I ended up here during my weather run, though not completely for weather. I shook my head vigorously trying to get back on task. 'I have a job. I don't have time to just sit here.' It was then I saw why I had asked to be assigned here.

A mare with an orange coat trotted out of the bright red barn that still had a certain pink pony's face on the side. The mare's blonde tail bounced as she came out into the fields. In fact she looked like she was headed straight for me, so I pretended to sleep as I usually did.

All of the sudden I felt the tree vibrate, and the branches move out from under me. I thought by now that I'd be used to falling, from flying accidents and this exact situation, by now, but this small tumble took me by surprise. I stood up finding my muzzle just inches from another, orange, one. I stared into those emerald eyes I could never get tired of looking into. "Wha' do ya think y'all are doing?"

Startled by the harshness in the farmer's voice, I almost fell right back on my rump. Now that it was my turn to speak, I couldn't find my quick tongue to back me up. I don't know if was the surprise, or it was her looks but something kept me from saying what I needed. "I- I wa-..."

Applejack just started laughing. "I'm sorry sugarcube. I ain't mad at ya. Just thought I might get ya back fer all the pranks you've pulled on me." In return I half-hearted laughed along with her. She always knew how to cheer a pony up. That was one of the things I loved about her. I could never tell her how much I loved her though. Her old fashioned thinking would never allow two girls to be together. "What can I do fer ya?"

"I'm fine. I was just resting. Tons of work and training. More later in fact." All of this flew out of my mouth at a million miles per hour. I took a breath and tried speaking again. "You wanna hang out later?"

"Sure," she smiled. "It looks like you could use all the down time you can get."

That smile made me so happy. Some days, it was got me through the day. It killed me that I couldn't see it every day, or, at least, more often. "Ok. See ya 'round seven then?"

"Yep. See ya later RD."

I pushed off the ground and took to skies, wind ripping through my rainbow mane.


I finished up my jobs and headed home to spend some time with Tank. It was all a blur though. My mind was else where. AJ filled most my thoughts. Why? I asked myself. What is it about her?

I loved everything about her. Her ability to be honest, but not make it mean or burdensome. Her athleticism. Her looks. Her loyalty. It was everything I ever dreamed of in a partner. The worst part was I felt like I couldn't have her. It was like she was Daring Do, and I'd never get the chance to meet her. I had almost gathered up the courage to ask her, but something stopped me, I forget what.

Tonight's the night. I told myself. I ask her tonight.

I flew over the farm where she lived. Immediately I saw her, standing in front of the barn, waiting. I landed next to her, smiling. "There you are! I was beginning to think ya might not be coming."

"Sorry," I apologized. "Work kept me back."

"It's alright sugarcube. I set up a picnic up on the hill. You hungry?"

"Starving."

We walked up the hill and sat down on the soft blanket . We talked about work for a bit while we ate. Then she asked, "Have you thought about who you might want to settle down with?"

"Can I be honest with you?"

"Of course. Why would I ask if I didn't want to know the truth?"

'Here it goes' "Nope." 'CRAP! WHY WOULD I DO THAT!?'

"Well, I have. I want somepony who's always by my side. Somepony I can depend on... Somepony... Like you." She paused for a long while. "But I can't have you." She choked out, almost crying.

Like lightning, I was by her side, wing around her. "Why can't you?"

"It's my family. They won't let me be with another girl. And I wouldn't think you're into girls anyways."

"Look, I respect your loyalty, but who said I wasn't into girls?" She looked up at me, surprised. "I wasn't totally honest when I said I hadn't thought about it, and I'm sorry. I was just scared about the same thing you were."

"That means a lot to me Dash, but it don't change my family."

"What if they didn't know?" I hinted, try to sound as sly as I could.

"Ya mean, go behind their backs?"

"You made that sound lame, but have you got any better ideas? I really do want to be with you."

"I suppose not. When do you want to go out?"

"I'm free Friday night. That work for you?"

"Yeah, but don't go picking somewhere fancy. I can't dress up."

"You've got it. See ya later, AJ."

"Bye, Dashie" she waved as I flew off. 'Dashie... Hmm, not a bad name.'


The whole week, I felt giddy, like a kid who'd just spent a night in a candy store with free reign. My heart's desire had thrown itself at me, but, as with everything, there was a catch. It had to be a secret, kept from everypony, including our closest friends. I loved the fact we were together, but the "we have to keep it a secret" part just killed me. I wished I could just shout it out to the world.

For her, though, I'd do anything, even if it meant keeping it secret. I couldn't ruin what we had now. It was all I had ever dreamed of.

Speaking of dreams, she seemed to know how to walk in mine every night. Not that there was anything wrong with it. It just furthered my giddiness. By time the day of the date had come, I was practically jumping up and down with anticipation. Pinkie might have been jealous, or maybe just happy that I was so happy.

The thought of Pinkie Pie seemed to summon her out of thin air, even if being random was her thing. It seemed like she had used some kind of teleportation spell Twilight might use. Next thing I know, Twilight appears, standing next to Pinkie. Come on, Applejack. I think, hoping the same trick might work its magic again. Sadly, it didn't. "What's up Rainbow?" Twilight asked. "What's got you so happy?"

"Yeah, Dashie. What's up?" Hearing the name I heard when I left Applejack come out of Pinkie made me flinch.

"Why are you here? You guys some kind of tag team? And Pinkie, how did you literally appear out of thin air?"

"Well," Twilight started, "Pinkie said her pinkie sense was going off and it was something about you."

"And the other two?"

"Twilight teleported us here. We've been going out for a little bit now, and we were spending some time together. I figured she'd help me out." Pinkie chimed.

"Wait. You two are going out? Like... marefriends?" I said, realizing what Pinkie had mentioned.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that" Twilight giggled, blushing.

"Great." I sighed. "At least you two can be honest about it." 'Crap.' I hadn't meant to say it out loud, no matter how jealous I was.

"What do you mean Dashie?" There it was again. My pet name. Guess it wasn't that special after all.

"About what?" I asked trying to play coy.

"About being able to be open about us." Twilight finished for Pinkie.

Wow, they really are a tag team. "I guess I let it out." I said dejectedly. "But you guys gotta promise not to tell anyone." Simultaneously they Pinkie Promised, and I knew I could trust them. "I'm going out with Applejack."

"OH MY GOSH!" Pinkie screamed. "You guys make such a cute couple. Why would you want to hide that?"

"Shhh. Keep it down. We don't want to but... AJ's family might not be okay with... You know..."

"Oh yeah. I forgot they only recently made it legal." Twilight turned to Pinkie "I suppose never talked to our folks."

"Whatever, but if you guys have got any ideas, tell me."

"Ok Dash. Good luck."
----
Fluttershy was my go to pony for talking to, but I'd never break my promise to Applejack, or at least no more than I already had. I'd even tell her about what I had told Twilight and Pinkie Pie. I wanted to make sure she knew she could trust me.

Like planned, I went over to her place, when I realized 'How am I supposed to get her?'

Author's Note:

Thank for reading. Watch for chapter two.
Feel free to tell me any mistakes.
See ya guys later ;)
That1Brony