• Published 6th Oct 2015
  • 315 Views, 43 Comments

Ringing a Bell - Hazel Bell



Sapphire Swirl receives a filly by an unexpected happening. While Sapphire Swirl and the filly struggle to get along, things fall apart in the city. a war is happening

  • ...
3
 43
 315

Running a Bakery

“Goodbye, and thank you for shopping at Hoofington Bakery!” Rang Sapphire Swirl’s voice as she handed over a carefully crafted cake and drew the bits to her side, and levitated them to her register. She looked at the corner of her bakery.

He was still there, looking at Sapphire. She didn’t want to be rude to the pony, but if he didn’t leave in a few minutes she would have to kick him out. He was wearing all black, and had a Black briefcase next to him.

She walked to the back to finish off frosting a simple cupcake, which would take her approximately five minutes.
She put frosting roses around the side and lightly dusted the inside of the rose circle with white sprinkles. It was, to perfectly describe it, a masterpiece. Then, she lifted the cupcake and injected a rich custard into the bottom.

Opening the cupboard, she carefully took out a scarlet paper liner. Then she put the Paper liner around the cupcake, finishing it off.
She walked to the front, noting that her hooves were growing heavier. It was almost time to close up.

“Here you go! Thank you for choosing Hoofington Bakery!” She said as she pushed the rosy cupcake.

“Thank you, miss!” A red and white pony cheerily giggled, biting into the cupcake. She handed over the bits, licking off a bit of frosting on her nose.

“Delicacies like these are hard to find, especially considering the circumstances that are going on these days.” The red maned mare said, carefully selecting her words.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it. Come back sometime soon!” Sapphire Swirl smiled, but her eye caught the stallion in the corner. He stood up and walked over behind the red pony, waiting silently.

The pony left and the stallion stepped heavily forward. He was quite handsome, and looked about Sapphire’s age.
“Can I get a Gem Flapjack?” he said, in a Slow English accent.

Sapphire was annoyed. He had been there all day, just sitting there. And now he was ordering one of the least expensive item on the menu. He could’ve made up to her by getting a cake or something.

“Yes, sir. That’ll be fifteen bits.” She said, narrowing her eyes a bit. She plastered on a fake smile and headed to the back.

She poured batter into the griddle. She just stood there, watching the pancake cook. She flipped it, and pulled it off. She was beginning to feel light headed.

“I’m tired...” She muttered, as she topped the pancake with gems of every color. Of course, they were edible.
She took it out, and the stallion was looking at Sapphire.

“Here you go.” She said, handing the plate to the stallion. He took it, handing the bits over.

“I’ve never had anything so good since before the war!” he exclaimed.

“I’d be more careful with my words if I were you.” Sapphire hissed. “Referencing anything to the war is illegal. You could get executed.”

He fell silent. Then, he left. Without any words. Sapphire Flipped the open sign to closed, and began to clean up. It was beginning to get dark. She began with the big stuff first, like cleaning the tables, and putting the food supplies away.

Suddenly the lights turned off. They had been turning off lately, saving power and unsuccessfully confusing enemy troops. Time passed.

...

Her hooves clicked softly as the pale ivory pony was finishing cleaning up the shop. She sighed, muttering under her breath. The moonlight splashed down its watery white-silver glow onto the city, bathing her shop, illuminating it. And in the distance the trees were silhouetted against the deep velvety sky. Occasionally, Bright flashes came from a long ways away.

She worried. The war was coming closer and closer. If Hoofington was to fall, nopony could comprehend what would happen.
Sapphire swirl sighed as she finished up closing. She wished she could have her employees back, they were the best bakers in the city, and maybe even Equestria. But they had gone to fight, and nothing could stop them, not even her.

And everyone had to donate most of their precious metals such as silver, iron and such. That included her door bell, so she didn’t know when customers were coming in. She was usually in the back baking.

Sapphire Swirl let cold water run over her hooves and slowly walked up the old, creaky stairs. When she reached the top of the steps she took a quick gaze down. It looked empty, abandoned. Just how she felt.

She slowly walked to her room, pausing only once to straighten a picture frame. Using her Dark turquoise magic, she slowly turned the rusty old doorknob. It fell with a clank on the floor, and with her horn glowing she put it back in place. It then proceeded to fall off again, and she sighed, giving up on it.

“I need a new doorknob.” She muttered to herself, and slowly walked in. She lifted up the blinds and pulled an old book of one of the many bookshelves in her room. The faded light blue walls were dimly lit up by the icy touch of moonlight. She began to read.

As I walk these dimly lit halls,

Children cry and babies they crawl.

The traps always ensnare

And we’re all in despair

But the bell will keep ringing

And choirs keep singing

And joy will flood through the streets.

Sapphire put down the book, and closed her eyes. That was enough reading for the night. She was preparing to slip into the covers and fall asleep, but suddenly, ringing pierced the silence. She groaned, and levitated the old receiver to her ear, her eyes still closed.

“You better have a good reason to call me this late.” She muttered.

“Sorry. Did I wake you up?” the voice on the other side questioned.

“Not technically, but I was almost asleep.” She replied.

“This is the PWD, short for Pony War Department.” Sapphire’s eyes flew open and she sat up immediately. “We were just calling to inform you, that you are being drafted. But not just as an average soldier. There is a meeting tomorrow and we will send someone for you. You may know him as the business pony who was in your shop all day, who ordered the gem flapjack. Thank you, and bye. Save your questions for tomorrow. Goodbye, Sapphire Swirl.”

Sapphire’s heart sank. She was a baker, not a soldier, or any kind or war pony. She was exhausted. She lay back down, but could not fall asleep.

Author's Note:

I'll add more tags as i go on.

Also, the white pony in cover picture, with turquiose and tealish hair is Sapphire Swirl.