• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 690 Views, 54 Comments

Rising Above - Quick Fix



Are some dreams truely unreachable? Or can you rise to meet the impossible with the right pony to help you climb there?

  • ...
1
 54
 690

Chapter 16 - Spirit of the Season

December 25th


Hearth's Warming eve, normally Scootaloo tried to spend it alone, or with one of the other crusaders. For the first time in years though, she was finally able to spend it with her own family. A pair of presents were tucked under her wings as she headed for Spring Spirit's house, a bounce in her step and more than a few cheery giggles escaping her lips. Sweetie Belle was trotting next to her and grinned at the sight of her friend being so cheerful.


"It's so nice to see you enjoying yourself again. I was worried with me at Rarity's and Apple Bloom spending the day at Pinkie's party, you weren't going to have anypony to be with. I was going to invite you to join us before you told me you'd managed to reconnect with your family."


"Yeah, I can hardly believe it either. I gotta say, thank you for your part in this, Sweetie Belle" Scootaloo smiled over at her as they reached Spring's house.


"My part?" Sweetie asked in confusion.


"Well, seeing you and Rarity bonding so strongly, at this time of year and all, it was part of what made me think, made me want to do this."


"Oh, well, you're welcome then," Sweetie smiled as Scootaloo nodded and moved to go. "Happy Hearth's Warming."


"You too!" Sweetie gave a wave before heading off toward Carousel Boutique. Scootaloo waved back and turned to head for the house, stopping as she noticed the new sign on the wall.


"Home to Spring Spirit and Fever Pitch...Fillyhood home of Scootaloo. Awwww." She blushed softly at the addition and headed for the door, knocking with a deal more confidence than last time. This time the door was opened by a brown pegasus stallion with a dark purple mane, green eyes and a megaphone cutie mark.


"Scootaloo!" Fever Pitch pulled her into a hug, ruffling her hair playfully. Scootaloo used to hate it but it had been so long that it was almost welcome.


"Hey dad, I missed you too." Scootaloo hugged him in return, glad to see that even with his age, he hadn't lost that same energetic streak that served him well as an announcer. Fever grinned and showed her inside, stepping aside as she took her winter wear off and placed her presents aside.


"Sorry I missed you when you last visited. Spring told me what happened though and...Well, I'm proud of you as well. It takes a lot to face the past like that. Soon as I heard, I got the paint out and put you back on the sign...And err, sorry for taking you off in the first place."


"It's understandable, I didn't leave the best impression with my goodbye." Scootaloo chuckled softly and followed Fever through to to the kitchen, where Spring Spirit was checking over the cooking for Hearth's Warming dinner. She waved over to Scootaloo and stepped aside to let Fever take over the cooking again.


"Hi mom, sorry I didn't bring twelve years of mother's day gifts. I kinda donated most of my last pay check to Fluttershy."


"That's okay hun, you're putting your bits to better use like that. I already know you care," Spring trotted over and hugged Scootaloo gently. Scootaloo returned it in kind before following her through to the living room. "I've got something special I wanted to show you."


"Really? Wait...You're gonna?"


"Yep, you get to raise the flag again. Not just that, I got this out again." Spring brought out a trio of Hearth's Warming dolls, one of her, one of Fever and one of a filly Scootaloo. Scootaloo took the doll of her and gasped softly, as if the nostalgia of seeing it again wasn't enough, somepony had sown a patch of her cutie mark on.


"Oh...Wow," Scootaloo looked up at Spring and blushed softly. So many things were running through her mind right now that one of them came out before she realised it. "Why? I-I mean you forgave me, sure. But, acting like I was never gone?"


"Okay, maybe it is overcompensating. I just missed you, we lost thirteen years together and I-I just want to try and get some of the time back while I can."


"It's, okay. I can understand that, I didn't realise it before but I missed you badly as well." Scootaloo hugged Spring, the two smiling softly at each other, thankful to have moments like these again.


"Thanks, I love you, Scoots."


"Love you too, mom."


The night sky looked even more beautiful in the winter, with the snow reflecting both the light of the moon and the seasonal lights. Scootaloo sat by the front door, taking a minute to herself after dinner. Sure, there might have been a little tension left over from the past, but on the whole it went rather well. She was just glad they were still talking to each other after so long. Next up was the flag raising and she had a surprise for her parents this time. Activity from behind made her perk up and she looked back at Spring Spirit and Fever Pitch came out carrying the Equestrian flag.


"It's been a long time coming, you ready Scoots?" Fever asked as she stood up and joined them in front of the flagpole set up earlier. Scootaloo nodded eagerly, stepping aside while they fitted everything up.


"You bet, I've been saving something special for this," Scootaloo stepped up to the flagpole and looked back at herself. This wasn't part of the original plan, but she was feeling confident in herself, time to see if Quick Fix's training had paid off. "I'm, not sure what's going to happen." She took a breath and unfurled her wings.


"Scootaloo?" Fever asked before stepping back as she started flapping, Spring gasped as she realised what was happening. Scootaloo gritted her teeth and jumped, bracing herself to come back down again. A landing that never came, she glanced down and realised that she was managing an uneasy hover. With some effort, she managed to gain altitude, more than she'd ever managed in her life.


"Focus..." She managed to bring herself level to the top of the flagpole and started on the rope. Spring and Fever could only watch in surprise as she managed to stay airborne long to raise the flag into place, giving it a salute before lowering herself back to the ground, landing fast and hard.


"Sweet Celestia! That was amazing!" Fever ran up to Scootaloo and hugged her in euphoria, taking a moment to realise she'd tired from the effort. "I mean, seriously, I've never seen you push yourself so much. It paid off too, what changed that let you do that?"


"I...Found somepony who understood the true problem." Scootaloo smiled softly and looked over at Spring Spirit. She hadn't moved at all and was just looking back at Scootaloo with tears in her eyes, smiling the smile of a mother would never be able to find words for how proud she was of her child. Slowly she walked over and hugged Scootaloo as well.


"Happy Hearth's Warming, everypony."


Happy Hearth's Warming." Scootaloo relaxed as she hugged them back. Even in the midst of such success, with trying not to get too worked up, one little detail was lingering in the back of her mind. Something about Quick Fix was still off to her, namely, what he was getting out of this. Even if it was just for friendship, he was after something significant in return. Few ponies would just help a notable name for nothing after all. Scootaloo made a mental note to bring it up at the next training session. This time, she was going to be the one learning something.

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter came out relatively short for such a significant point. I tend to struggle for length when I'm off plan and this whole parent side story was off the original plan. I hope you're enjoying all the same.