• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 691 Views, 54 Comments

Rising Above - Quick Fix



Are some dreams truely unreachable? Or can you rise to meet the impossible with the right pony to help you climb there?

  • ...
1
 54
 691

Chapter 10 - A Warm Reception

November 3rd


Winter had come early to Ponyville. Being first on the list for Cloudsdale meant scheduled snow had started to fall overnight, it was still light but everypony knew things were going to get rougher. For now, life in town was able to go on as normal, much to the relief of Scootaloo. She had her talk to give at the school today and it was a welcome break from the last few weeks, staying committed to her wing exercises with Quick Fix's help. True, Scootaloo's lingering doubts were still there but the improvement was undeniable, she could hold her wings in proper position for several minutes at a time now. Flapping enough to consider take-off was still beyond her at this point but right now, the dream felt a little more real, well worth waking up sore everyday.


At least the weather was an excuse to wrap up, Scootaloo had outfitted herself with a scarf and wing warmers, in addition to her usual helmet. Sure it got a few odd looks in town but she felt good like this. There was some time before she was due, enough to get something warming and quite a few market stalls were starting to offer such treats. There was only one thing on her mind at the moment though; warm cider. Applejack had managed to perfect the recipe a few years back and now it was a popular winter choice.


Applejack herself was running the stall today and cheerfully waved Scootaloo over as soon as she noticed her. The workhorse had really stepped up her game over the last two decades, bringing Sweet Apple Acres up to producing and exporting apple products on a national level. Most of the work in that time had been shared between her and Big Mac, and it showed. Years of constant work and improvements meant Applejack had developed a brawny build that matched most stallions and she was proud of it.


"Howdy there, Scootaloo. You got any new shows lined up?"


"Hey, Applejack. Not at the moment, I might do something local in town, depends how thick the snow gets. I'm in talks to perform at the anniversary of the four though."


"Golly, I'll have to see if I can get to Canterlot for that one."


"I'll see what I can do to get you all there. Except Fluttershy, I wouldn't push her to travel far even as she currently is. Ok, back on topic, is cider still five bits?"


"Yes ma'am, though we're also trying out a low content variation for four bits, gives ya the same warm feeling while keeping you on top of your game," Applejack glanced up and her pupils shrank slightly. "Errm...Step to the right."


Scootloo did so and looked back, gasping as she recognised the pegasus coming in to land. In a whirlwind of colour, Rainbow Dash dropped from the sky and skidded to a stop right in front of the stall. She was looking a little more, formal, than usual, wearing a Wonderbolts bomber jacket, officer cap and aviator shades. Even as she watched, Rainbow took her glasses off and looked round.


"Morning, how's...Oh who am I kidding? Come here, little sis!" Rainbow grinned and pulled Scootaloo into a hug, dropping the professional act in a heartbeat. Scootaloo could only smile and hug her in return.


"I missed you too, big sis. I didn't know you had a day off."


"Me neither, the higher ups are having some meeting and said I didn't have to be there, for some reason. So I figured I could hit two birds with one stone by coming into town, Ponyville cider and more importantly, a little bird told me you're telling your cutie mark story today and I wouldn't miss that."


"Someone told you? But the only one who...Actually, yeah, forgot who lives in this town. Is Pinkie Pie still sending you care packages then?"


"Nah, just letters by now. So...Can I sit in and listen?" Rainbow's enthusiasm was a welcome addition for sure, seeing her retain the confidence and care she had even after all these years in the stuffy atmosphere of the Wonderbolts' top ranks. Scootaloo wouldn't have minded either way, it was still her surrogate big sister after all.


"Well, depends if you can afford enough cider to sit still that long."


"And you thought I had a problem." Rainbow chuckled as she headed for the schoolhouse, carrying a trio of takeaway cups on her back. Scootaloo trotted next to her with a single cup, they'd bought a few for the road and were nice and warmed up by now, a welcome feeling in the cold.


"Okay, okay. I'm still glad to see it though sis. Just try not to go too wild." Scootaloo smiled softly, glancing up as she saw a unicorn watching for her arrival. Even from here she could tell it was Dinky, probably the assistant teacher for today. The little filly Scootaloo had grown up with was now a bubbly, energetic mare with the most positive world outlook she'd ever seen.


"Ah, miss Scootaloo! Miss Dash! Glad you made it, Mrs Cheerilee is just starting the talk. I had no idea you were coming too, miss Dash, but I'm sure nopony will mind you joining us today. Oh my gosh, my mom told me about your routine in the empire, miss Scootaloo, you sounded perfect out there. Can I get an autograph after the talk?"


"How about a warm up right now?" Rainbow offered, grabbing one of her cups and offering it to Dinky. Scootaloo smiled softly at the sight as Dinky gave a small squee and took it with her magic. She took a soft sip and shivered slightly before the warmth took effect, clearing a spot on a nearby bench to sit down and enjoy.


"Mmm, thank you," Dinky smiled warmly before her ears twitched. "Cheerilee's winding down. I think that's your cue, miss Scootaloo." Scootaloo nodded and headed for the door, looking back to see if Rainbow was coming. To her surprise, Rainbow settled down next to Dinky and looked back at her.


"Doesn't seem right letting her stay out here on her own. We'll be rooting for you from here, little sis."


"Alright, thanks Rainbow Dash. Hope you both enjoy the story." Scootaloo took a breath and waited by the door, listening for her cue. As soon as she heard her name, she opened the door and stepped in, waving to the class as they applauded her.


Among the two dozen or so colts and fillies in the class, she could see Stellar Nova waving to her from near the back, sitting next to her was a moss green colt she recognised as Big Mac's son, Akane, along with a yellow pegasus that must have been Bumblebee. Apple Bloom had mentioned those three stuck together after their first meet but seeing it herself brought a warm smile to Scooaloo's face. The Cutie Mark Crusaders were back in action and Scootaloo gave them an extra wave as she sat down, making sure Rainbow and Dinky could hear from here.


"You're all very lucky kids. The story of how I got my cutie mark is such a doozy that only five ponies knew the truth," She looked back at it and smiled. "Until today, though before I start, I want to stress something important to all the fillies and colts here who don't have theirs yet. Don't try and force it, acknowledging your talent is every bit as important as discovering it. Otherwise you're going to have ponies saying..."