• Published 7th Sep 2015
  • 1,971 Views, 12 Comments

Level Flight - RandomGreymane



Twilight has neglected Spike but hopefully it will work out.

  • ...
2
 12
 1,971

Chapter 3

Level Flight - Chapter 3 by RandomGreymane

Twilight woke to a jolt from the train as it rounded a bend. As was typical of late, the sunlight reflected in through the window at an impossible angle.

That’s getting a little old sister. she thought as she blinked the sleep from her eyes.

After only such a short time? Celestia’s voice said, a bit too loudly, in Twilight’s mind. Cadence didn’t tell me to ‘stuff it’ for at least 50 years.

Allow me to set a new record then... Twilight replied, followed by a mental cough. Stuff. It.

Celestia’s laughter filled Twilight’s head and brought her completely awake. There was a warmth to it far beyond what Twilight knew the princess shared with others. Smiling slightly, Twilight rose from her bunk as the sunbeam returned to it’s normal pattern further along the wall. Stretching, Twilight sent a mental burst of warmth herself back down the connection as the laughter faded.

Noting that Spike was not occupying his bunk, Twilight finished her normal morning routine, and went to find him. The bright sunlight streaming into the train windows told her that it was actually late morning,

Upon entering the dining car she was only slightly surprised to see Spike standing behind the small cooking area. What did surprise her however, was the line of ponies standing and waiting patiently in front of him.

“Morning Twilight!” Spike said without taking his attention away from the task at hand. “I started cooking you crepes and before I knew it everypony wanted some!”

“Not really surprised here.” Twilight said with a slight grin. “You’ve always been an excellent cook.” She seated herself in a nearby booth and waited patiently.

From somewhere, Spike produced a sign saying Kitchen Closed, and proceeded to complete the last of the pending orders. Once completed, he brought two plates of crepes with him as he occupied the seat across from her.

“We should reach Dodge Junction today.” he said in-between mouthfuls. “Any idea what we’ll find when we get there?”

Swallowing, Twilight paused to reply. “As long as the town’s not on fire, or Alabaster’s not in jail, I’ll be happy. Still...I have a suspicion about the weather there. Something familiar...”

They finished the meal in silence and Spike returned the tableware to the bin behind small counter before returning to his seat. “I’m looking forward to seeing what she’s been up to frankly!” he said. “I bet she’s set a record bucking cherries or something. She is still a bit of an overachiever in personality. I mean not like we don’t know where she’d get that from or anything.”

“Whoops!” Twilight exclaimed as an empty basket appeared out of thin air directly above Spike.

Before he could reply, the basket succumbed to gravity and covered his head completely. A muffled voice came from within, “I guess I deserved that.” Spike removed the basket and set it off to the side. “Suuure, just create baskets for no reason then drop them on innocent dragon skulls. I should report you to Princess Celestia!” he continued in mock outrage.

“I’m betting Celestia would have very little to chide me for this time.” Twilight said with a smirk. “And anyways I do have a purpose for the basket - we aren’t going to leave Miss Jubilee’s orchard empty-handed.”

“Ohhhh! I’m telling Applejack on you!” Spike teased. “Them cherries, t’aint real fruit! Gimme an apple any day!” he said in his best imitation of the orange farm pony.

Twilight’s laugh was infectious and soon Spike was laughing as well. Shortly though, the train began to slow and they became focused on the surrounding countryside. Looking out the window, they watched as a sign painted Dodge Junction appeared to flow leisurely past. With a final shudder and clank, the train stopped at the station.

Twilight collected her bags as Spike led the way off the train onto the platform. A warm breeze, filled with the scent of dry earth, blew past them.

“If I remember correctly,” Twilight said as they descended the station stairs “We’ll have to take a coach to get to Miss Jubilee’s orchard. Unfortunately my memory is a little fuzzy on the exact location.”

“Well duh.” Spike said. “I mean you’ve only been here once before. Let me make one of my oh-so-excellent suggestions...you need a map.”

Twilight looked at him with an amused expression. “Really. I would have never guessed that.” She levitated her saddlebags in front of herself to look through them. Shortly she extracted a medium-sized scroll and unrolled it, only to find that it was a map of the Royal Canterlot Maze Garden. “What the buck?”

Looking over her shoulder, Spike was equally confused. “Whoa! Did you actually pack the wrong map?” he asked, the surprise evident in his voice.

“I...I guess I did.” Twilight replied. “Not sure how that could have happened...”

“Will you accept another one of my oh-so-brilliant suggestions?” Spike said with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh certainly Oh Wise and Knowledgeable Dragon!” Twilight intoned. From her tone, most onlookers would have expected a potential argument in the brewing but Spike immediately defused the situation.

“Store.” he said simply.

“What?” Twilight replied.

“Store.” Spike said again. “There.” he said as he pointed a claw at the building nearby with the dusty sign saying General Store hanging from a bracket over the entryway.

“Oh.” Twilight said in surprise. “Umm...yeah...that will do nicely.” she continued.

The store doors opened easily, without so much as a squeak, as they passed through. The way to the long counter was blocked partially by a pony with a hammer in his mouth. Looking up from his work, Twilight could see that he was patching the floor where something heavy had obviously broken through. Grumbling slightly, the carpenter let them pass as they made their way to the counter.

Upon reaching the counter, another pony with a pair of saddlebags emerged from the back of the building. “Can I help ya ma’am?” he said in a gruff voice.

“We need a map of the town and the local area please.” Twilight said as she rummaged around for her bag of bits.

“Well let’s see what we all gots here...” the counter pony replied as he scanned the list of scrolls on a nearby shelf. “Yer gonna need this one...and this one...and this other one...”

“Why would I need more than one map?” Twilight asked.

“Well, things ‘round here have become a mite confusing lately what with the snow runoff and all changing some of the paths.” the pony continued as he gathered up the scrolls and laid them on the counter.

The carpenter glanced up from his work briefly, looked back to the floor, then his head snapped quickly and dropping the hammer he focused on Twilight. “Uhh...Bits....?” he addressed the pony behind the counter.

“Tail I’m tryin to do business with this fine filly so if you wouldn’t mahnd focusin on yer work...” Bits replied.

“Bits!” the carpenter said again. “Wings....AND horn.” he finished.

Bits just blinked for a couple of seconds before silently collecting the scrolls on the counter and putting them back on their respective shelves. When he completed that task, he reached under the counter and pulled out a larger scroll and handed it over to Twilight. “This here’s all ya need. On the house. My apologies Princess.”

“Thanks you.” Twilight said in a slightly quiet tone of voice.

His task completed for the moment, Bits retreated to the back of the store and closed a door behind him.

“Well he aint gonna live that down any time soon.” the carpenter said with a chuckle. Holding out his hoof he introduced himself, “My name’s Dovetail.”

“Twilight Sparkle.” said Twilight as she shook the proffered hoof. “What was that all about?”

“Ole Bits there keeps a bunch of maps around just fer tourist folk who come out here.” Tail explained. “Them maps all overlap ya see. Ya only need the one but he still sells the others first.”

Spike chuckled. “I bet he saw you coming a mile away Twilight!” he said as he poked her in the side briefly.

“Oh hush you!” she replied, poking him in return. “Well I can’t thank you enough Dovetail! I can’t imagine how much time the single map will save us.”

“Where’bouts you headed?” Dovetail asked. “This town can be a mite confusing. ‘Haps I can pointcha in the right direction.”

“I’m headed to Miss Jubilee’s cherry orchard.” Twilight replied. “Once we got the map we were about to rent a carriage.”

“No need ma’am!” Dovetail exclaimed. “I’d be happy ta take ya myself! Got a wagon right outside.”

“Don’t you need to finish your repairs?” Twilight asked. “That’s an awfully big hole in the floor...”

“It’ll keep until I get back.” he replied with a grin “Heck, it kept through the snows so I don’t reckon it’ll get any worse any time soon.”

“Okay...” Twilight said. “If you’re sure it’s no problem?”

“Not one whit.” Dovetail replied. “Jes let me collect my tools and we’ll be on our way.”

Twilight and Spike waited politely in front of the store while Dovetail cleaned up. Briefly, they heard some heated conversation coming from the building before Dovetail emerged. “Moron.” he said, glancing briefly at the shopkeeper who was looking out the window. Placing his tools into the back of the wagon, he secured the rear panel and then excused himself before walking around behind the store.

In short order he returned, followed by a large stallion. The newcomer’s coat was grass green with white fetlocks, and a cutie mark of a steam locomotive. “This here’s Burst.” Dovetail said in introduction. “He’s gonna be our engine for the trip. Fastest pony I know ‘round here!”

“Well I was until that stone monster beat me out.” Burst grumped. “Darn thing can run faster’n me and pull twice my load!” He paused while looking at his hooves. “Can’t help be be impressed though. Never seen anythin like it.”

Twilight wisely kept her mouth shut despite Spike being unable to hide his amusement at her discomfort. They climbed into the wagon as Burst hitched himself up to the harness. “Everypony ready?” he called back to them.

“All sorted!” Dovetail said as he grabbed the reins in his hooves. “Any time you’re ready.”

With a snort, and some dust from his hooves, Burst set off.

Twilight was surprised considerably by how quickly they reached a high rate of speed. Spike, however, was focused on another issue. “I’ve never thought to ask this before...” he said to Dovetail. “but if the pony knows where to go then why do you need the reins?”

“Well I once asked myself the same question.” Dovetail replied without turning his head. “It was Burst himself that provided tha answer.” He paused to adjust the reins before continuing. “Ta hear Burst tell it, it’s kinda like focusin on only one thing ta take yer mind off everything else. With me holdin tha reins, he just has to think about pulling and nuthin else. He told me that it helps him think about bigger things. Now I don’t rightly know what he means by that but it sure does keep him focused!”

The conversation was interrupted by a jolt from the wagon beneath them and didn’t resume. Shortly thereafter they arrived at their destination.

The cherry orchard was in the process of sprouting greenery at every turn. Leaves were sprouting from the branches in clusters and every tree was brimming with them.

“Well at least they seemed to have been unaffected by the long winter.” Twilight observed as the wagon came to a stop outside the front gate. “Thank you for the swift transportation to our destination!” she said to Dovetail and Burst with a bow.

“Our pleasure ma’am!” Dovetail replied with a nod of his head. Twilight retrieved her saddlebags from the wagon and Dovetail promptly nodded at Burst. In moments the wagon was headed the direction it had arrived from, the telltale cloud of dust showing that perhaps Burst was in a hurry to get back to town.

Spike turned and started into the orchard, headed in the general direction of the large barn that could be seen peeking through the trees. Twilight followed, her focus on the trees as they passed.

Interesting... she mentally noted. There are several different strains of trees here but they don’t seem to be cross-pollinating. Very similar to...

Upon approaching the barn, a dull thumping noise reached their ears. Twilight’s train of thought broken, she focused on the sound.

*thump*....*thump*....*thump*”Ow! Keep yer mind on what yer ‘doin!” said a voice from inside.

“Sorry!” replied a voice that Twilight instantly recognized as Alabaster’s.

“Alabaster?” Twilight inquired as they reached the open door of the barn.

“Twilight!” Alabaster replied rushing towards her friend.

Without thinking, Twilight put up a shield bubble around herself and Spike. Alabaster stopped in her tracks and stood very still. Blushing, Twilight lowered the shield. “Sorry.” she said. “You...I...it was like the time in the...oh ponyfeathers!”

Alabaster nodded her head and then bowed to Twilight. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, I am glad to see you and bid you welcome.” she said formally. Looking up quickly, she then said “I’m not doing ‘a little shake’ for you though.”

The amusement in Alabaster’s voice was just the right thing for the moment and Twilight couldn’t help but laugh. Her blush faded a bit and she replied in an equally formal tone “I am honored to be here Alabaster and I greet you in return.”

For a moment they both stood still and stared at each other, then they burst out laughing.

The laughter lasted only a short time before Twilight inquired “We heard a thumping noise coming from the barn, what in the hay is going on in there?”

“Bucking practice.” Alabaster said simply. Turning to one side, she pointed at a large bag made of heavy cloth and suspended between a chain at top and bottom. In the center was a medium-sized red ring. In the center of that were the dusty, overlapping, imprints of a very large hoof.

“I’ve been having some issues due to my height.” Alabaster explained. “I hit too far up the trunk of the cherry trees and break off branches.”

“Hmm...” Twilight said, placing her hoof on the door frame as she analyzed the configuration in front of her. “Well the solution is simple enough!” she continued with a smile. “We’ll make you smaller!”

Alabaster was silent for a moment. Well buck me. she thought. I should have figured that one out on my own.

After a moment of thinking, Alabaster replied. “You’ll have to lighten my density or I’ll be bucking the entire tree down.”

“That’s easy enough.” Twilight replied as she mentally constructed the spell in her head. “The big problem here is not your size.”

“It’s not?” Alabaster asked with a slight look of confusion on her face.

“Nope.” Twilight replied with a grin. “It’s what eye color you want. I mean...if we’re going to do it we might as well do it right.”

Alabaster was stunned. Then, as if she were a little filly, she started jumping up and down in circles around Twilight and Spike.

The resulting tremors knocked the princess and her dragon to the ground in a cloud of dust. “Alabaster!” Twilight said loudly while trying to hold back her laughter. “Alabaster!”

Alabaster stopped cold. “Whoops!” she said. “I guess we still have some reactions in common don’t we.”

Twilight stood and shook the dust off. “Well that’s not too surprising.” she replied with a smile. “It’ll take some time for me to work out the spell matrix but Spike and I aren’t really on a fixed schedule at the moment so that shouldn’t be a problem.”

Alabaster simply nodded. “Let me get you settled and I’ll show you around!” she said.

Twilight and Spike followed her to the house where Miss Jubilee was busy giving directions to several of the other farm hands. Upon seeing Twilight she quickly motioned them away and smoothed her apron and mane. “Welcome to Cherry Hill Ranch princess!” she said as she bowed to Twilight.

Twilight bowed in return. “It’s good to see you again Miss Jubilee!” she said, a smile on her face. “I’ve been meaning to come visit for a long time. Alabaster became my excuse of convenience.”

“Well we are right glad to have her here.” Miss Jubilee stated. “She’s fitting right in!”

“When I’m not leaving hoofprints in the trees...” Alabaster said quietly. Not the first time that I’m glad I can’t blush. she thought to herself.

“I’m sure we can do something about that.” Twilight replied. “In fact I’m going to be here for a few days and we’re going to do some...adjustments...to Alabaster’s unique physique. A makeover so to speak!”

“Rarity’s going to give you hay for not including her in the modeling.” Spike pointed out.

“Which is WHY we will be consulting her during the process.” Twilight intoned, a hint of mock-reproach in her voice. “The last thing I need is a lecture because I got some hooves wrong or worse a mane!” she completed with a laugh. Spike and Alabaster laughed in return.

“Returning to more mundane matters,” Twilight continued. “we need to get accommodations taken care of first.” Her stomach rumbled.

“And some food apparently.” Spike remarked.

“Let’s see...long train ride, questionable shopkeeper, and what I believe is the second fastest wagon ride I’ve ever experienced.” Twilight said, ticking off the items one after another. “Of course we haven’t had a chance to eat yet!”

“Questionable...oh!” Miss Jubilee exclaimed. “Let me guess - Bits tried to sell you a bunch of maps?”

“Eeeyup.” Spike replied in his best imitation of Big Macintosh.

“Well I’m none too surprised.” Miss Jubilee continued. “Bits seems to be a bit short on the ‘bits’ upstairs. Why don’t you come inside and we’ll get you settled.”

“Oh I was just going to get a room in town!” Twilight protested. “I just wanted to check in on Alabaster first thing. Especially since it’s been such a long time since we last talked.”

“Nonsense!” Miss Jubilee said. “The least I can do is put you up. And it’ll save you the trip back - despite how fast Alabaster can get you there.”

“I am pretty fast.” Alabaster said. The pride was evident in her voice.

“Well...how can I refuse!” Twilight replied. Her stomach rumbled again.

“Oh my!” Miss Jubilee exclaimed. “Let’s get you fed my dear!” She turned and started towards the farmhouse.

“I don’t fit in there obviously.” Alabaster told Twilight. “I’ll catch up with you after you’re all sorted.”

“Sounds good!” Twilight said. Her smile turned to a thoughtful look. “And I think we can work out that first problem without too much difficulty.”

“I look forward to it.” Alabaster replied. Then she lowered her voice, “They’ve had to repair the cross-beam above the barn door a couple of times since I’ve been here. I keep hitting it with my head. Being bigger than expected can cause some problems at times...”

“Tell me about it.” Spike intoned. Twilight pointedly stepped on his foot. He smoothly failed to show his reaction but she knew he was irritated.

“Well you won’t have to worry about it too much longer.” Twilight replied. “I might even have a surprise for you.”

Alabaster chuckled and then turned back towards the barn. “I’ll be in here if you need me.”

Twilight simply nodded before turning to follow Miss Jubilee down the short path to the house and then inside just as the sun started to wane slightly with the afternoon.

Amid the organized chaos of unpacking, Twilight looked out the window. From this distance she could easily make out the telltale flicker of a lantern being lit from the main doorway of the barn. She listened carefully but needn’t have strained her ears as the intermittent sound of Alabaster bucking the hanging bag over and over echoed clearly in the air.

“Well Spike...” she muttered to herself. “We’re a little late. But we’re here.”

Overhearing her, Spike stepped up to the window next to her. “Was it really that big a deal?” Spike replied.

“I feel guilty that I didn’t get out here soon enough.” Twilight remarked. “I mean, yeah, the weather and everything else...but still...”

“Well I won’t go with the obvious ‘We’re here now.’, but I really don’t think you should worry too much about it.” Spike said evenly. He paused for a moment, then asked “Can you really help her or are you still too afraid?”

Twilight didn’t have an answer. Instead she just said “We’ll just have to wait and see.” When she rushed at me Twilight thought it was all I could do to keep myself from blasting her! How am I going to transform her when part of me wants to make her just...go away?

“There it is.” Spike said as he glanced sideways at her. He turned his eyes back to the window.

“There ‘what’ is?” Twilight responded.

“You’re arguing with yourself.” Spike said. “When you do that you get this ‘How the buck am I going to get out of this one?’ face. It’s actually pretty distinctive. I think you need to take some acting lessons to learn to hide it honestly.”

“Hmph!” was Princess Twilight Sparkle’s only reply before she turned away from the window and headed back downstairs towards the sounds of Miss Jubilee preparing the evening meal.