• Published 7th Sep 2015
  • 359 Views, 1 Comments

Dawn of Crystal Empire - TopWanted



"It's foolish to assume you are alone" Twilight has made a monumental discovery. Sombra was not the first Shadow Pony in Equestria. But this truth comes with a cost that all of Equestria will have to pay.

  • ...
3
 1
 359

Fluttershy/Applejack - Chapter 21

Fluttershy awoke from her bed with a yawn. Capper had curled up on the floor, or however an ethereal flame thing could curl up. She wasn’t even sure if the creature slept. The flame flickered giving her a welcoming mew as she rose from bed. “Good morning to you to,” she smiled.

Fluttershy planted her feet on the floor and immediately felt a tightness in her chest. She began to cough, at first slowly then a little more violently before taking deep breath to calm down. Capper mewed anxiously. If the creature had eyes they would look worried. Fluttershy held a hoof to her pained chest and tried to smile. “It’s nothing, really,” she assured him. “Just a little cough.”

Fluttershy continued to rub her chest as she made her way into the hallway. She knocked on her neighbor’s door. Rainbow Dash did not answer. “Rainbow? Hello?” Fluttershy slowly opened the door to find that the cyan Pegasus was gone. Fluttershy frowned.

Last night a lot happened. Those new ponies came along with Shining Armor and they discovered that poor mare trapped in stone. When it had gotten later the rest of her friends went to hang out and mingle, Fluttershy hadn’t been feeling well so she excused herself. Truth be told she still wasn’t feeling all that well. Still, she hoped her rowdy friend didn’t stay up all night outside.

Fluttershy walked slowly down the large labyrinthine hallways of the Crystal Castle. Capper followed behind at a steady pace, often mewing in concern for the mare. “I keep telling you, Capper, I’m fine,” she continued to say. A larger figure soon came into view as they turned a corner. Princess Luna trudged down the halls, her usual royal posture gone as she seemed to walk like a zombie. Her eyes were glazed over with fatigue and she didn’t seem to notice the two approaching. “Good morning, Princess Luna.”

Luna blinked rapidly as awareness came to her. She rubbed her eyes and gave Fluttershy a small smile. “Good morning, Fluttershy. I hope you slept well.”

Fluttershy frowned as she looked the alicorn over. “You certainly don’t seem like you did.”

Luna sighed. “I do not sleep like most ponies, young one. However I was a little… busy last night trying to help a friend.”

Fluttershy held a hoof to her mouth. “Oh my gosh. I hope they’re okay?”

Luna smiled. “It’s nothing to concern yourself with. Of course, we have bigger matters to attend to today. Pray tell what does Twilight Sparkle have planned for our experiments today?”

Fluttershy shrugged. “Actually, I think those two new ponies might be trying to help Twilight today. I think I heard her say something about wanting to talk to them.”

“Oh,” Luna lowered her head once more and pouted. “I suppose that I shall continue the experiments with the Crystal Heart on my own.” She waved as she continued on her way to the impromptu laboratory. “Fare thee well, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy waved as well, waiting for the princess to leave before letting out a slight cough into her hoof. Capper mewed a little more impatiently. “I’m fine,” she tried to assure him. “Really.”

Fluttershy turned back to her walk down the hallway, colliding with a tall gray stallion. The stallion did not budge but Fluttershy fell backwards onto her flank, followed by a small coughing fit. The stallion knelt beside her to console her, lifting her up by the hooves. “I’m so sorry about that!” he stammered. “Are you okay?” Fluttershy continued to cough as she tried to get out an answer. The stallio’s horn glowed brightly, a glass of water magically appearing before her. He guided the water into her mouth and she drank it down. Her coughing stopped. “There we are. Are you sure you’re alright?”

Fluttershy smiled faintly and let out a small rasp, “I’m fine.” The stallion frowned with concern as he lifted a hoof to her head to take her temperature.

“You are… Miss Fluttershy, if I’m not mistaken?” he asked, his hoof on her forehead.

Fluttershy felt her cheek’s blush as the stallion lingered on her. “Y- Yes. Um, you said last night your name was Quill, right?”

Quill smiled. “Indeed I am. It’s a pleasure to meet you in an official capacity, Miss Fluttershy.” He let his hoof go and gave her own hoof a quick peck, further driving Fluttershy’s blush. “It seems like you don’t have a fever. Perhaps it’s the dust in the atmosphere? I must say that for a castle, this place is rather dirty. Though who can blame them with what’s going on?” Fluttershy giggled at the stallion, her stomach interrupting. A loud growl could be heard from Quill’s as well. “Oh, pardon me,” he blushed. “It seems we both are pretty famished. Care to join me in the dining hall?”

“I’m pretty sure that’s the laboratory now.”

“Oh, right.” Quill rubbed his chin. “Then care to join me in the kitchen?”

Fluttershy smiled broadly. “I’d love to.” The two began their journey down the hall once more. Capper floated up to glide alongside them, Quill catching the creature in his eye.

“I must say it’s rather impressive that you’ve managed to bond with that creature,” Quill grinned. “I honestly thought they were legends but I guess if anywhere then the Crystal Empire.” He shrugged.

Fluttershy frowned and then opened her eyes wide, darting her head back and forth between Capper and Quill. “You know what Capper is?”

“Is that its name?” Quill smiled. “Apropos, I suppose. You mean you don’t know what that is?” Fluttershy shook her head vehemently, eager to know. Quill smiled smugly. “What you have there is a montem mediocris, a bluecap.” Fluttershy stared blankly which made Quill roll his eyes. “A cave fairy,” Quill specified.

Fluttershy’s eyes widened further as she let out a small squee of delight. She turned to Capper excitedly. “You’re a fairy?” Capper mewed happily letting out a few ephemeral sparks. Fluttershy could not contain her delight.

“Yes, it’s quite fascinating really,” Quill continued as Fluttershy jumped happily around her new fairy friend. “They’re like will’o’wisps in most regards. Legend has it that miners relied on them to guide them safely to treasures within caves. The miners would often leave a little of the excavated riches behind as an offering. No wonder a thing like that would be attracted to a place like the Crystal Empire.”

Fluttershy stopped to turn back to Quill. “Oh, but Capper doesn’t really like crystals or gems. They make him… woozy.” She smiled at Capper, giving the fairy a little scratch under its flame.

“Hmm,” Quill pondered, “how exactly would you know this Ms. Fluttershy? Can this bluecap talk?”

“Oh, no,” Fluttershy shook her head. “Capper can’t talk but he can still get across words and ideas. Though they do end up fuzzy most of the time. Capper says he hasn’t been entirely himself since waking up and thinks it might be the castle’s crystals.”

Quill pulled a small note book from his vest pocket and levitated a tiny piece of lead from in there as well. He scribbled a quick note. “Fascinating,” he murmured.

“Um, if you don’t mind me asking,” Fluttershy began, “how do you know so much about this, Mr. Quill?”

Quill returned the note book and lead to his pocket and grinned at the yellow Pegasus. “I must admit to a bit of frivolity in my youth, studying cryptozoology. What can I say?” he shrugged. “Every filly has his flights of fancy.”

Fluttershy’s expression softened a bit. “You don’t seem particularly fazed to finally find a creature like the ones in your books.”

Quill’s expression softened as well and he furrowed his brow. “Yes, well… One must someday give up on… ‘flights of fancy.’” The conversation died for a few brief moments until they reached the swinging doorway to the kitchen.

Quill proudly opened the door with a flourish and held it open for Fluttershy and Capper to enter. A lone crystal pony chef stood in the kitchen with his back to them, seeming to just stare off into the middle distance in front of a burning stove that he turned off and on again. “Ahem.” Quill coughed to get his attention but the pony did not respond. “Ahem!” He did it a little louder and the pony turned around slowly, his expression blank. “Good morning, my good stallion,” Quill greeted. “Miss Fluttershy and I would like to know what you have planned for breakfast today?”

The chef blinked very slowly before trudging over to a cupboard and retrieving two bowls and a box of oats with his mouth. The chef moved back to the two and placed the bowls on the table before them. He proceeded to open the box of oats and dump the entire contents into and between the two bowls, not even paying attention to where he poured. When the oats were all gone he dropped the box from his mouth so it clattered to the floor and moaned eerily as he went back to his stove, lighting the pilot then turning it off, then lighting it again.

Quill and Fluttershy stared in disbelief as the events transpired. Fluttershy’s expression became worried while Quill simply shrugged. “Must be having a rough day,” he assumed. He grabbed the bowl and went to the refrigerator to retrieve some milk. After pouring it over his oats and retrieving two spoons he poured the milk in Fluttershy’s bowl.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t… help him?” Fluttershy asked tentatively.

Quill took a bite from his oats and shrugged. “It’s probably something personal. Best not to get involved.”

Fluttershy took one last glance at the strange acting chef and took her bowl as well. The two walked to the door but were interrupted by it once again flinging open with a flourish. Shining Armor held the door open while his wife, Cadence, entered. The pink alicorn squeed in delight as she saw Quill. “Sweet Celestia! It is you!” She ran up to the writer and waved a hoof over her face. “You’re Quill, right? I’m a huge fan! ‘Forbidden Trist on the Marediterranean Sea’ is my absolute favorite story ever!”

Quill smiled and relinquished his bowl and spoon to a blue magic miasma that lifted it in the air. “You must be Princess Cadence,” he remarked as he raised her hoof to his lips and gave it a polite kiss. Shining Armor simply rolled his eyes as he approached his wife from behind. “We didn’t have the pleasure of meeting last night, did we?”

Cadence smiled broadly. “Yes, though I wish my husband would have woken me up to greet you.” Her smile slightly diminished. “I really do appreciate you coming all this way just to help us. But as the Princess of the Crystal Empire I simply cannot burden you with all this.”

Quill shrugged and smirked and bowed. “Please, your majesty, Princess Twilight and I already had this conversation. My brother and I are servants of the crown and that includes all denizens of Equestria. If the Empire is in danger then we cannot simply stand by and wait for the best.”

Cadence’s smile grew again as she squeed. “Just like the blue knight to the geisha girl in ‘Western Romance in an Eastern Land.’”

“That is one of my personal favorites,” Quill remarked.

Cadence did not diminish her smile, staying quiet and focused on Quill for a few moments. Shining Armor nudged his wife to get her going again. “Huh, what?” Cadence stuttered. “Oh, Shiny, can’t we just let them stay?” she pled of her husband.

Shining rolled his eyes again. “We went through this last night. You need to be firm. You’re the princess, you can tell them to leave.”

Cadence’s eyes drifted back to Quill and she pursed her lips. “But I don’t wanna!” she cried.

Shining threw his hooves up in surrender. “Fine! Okay! But now they’re you’re responsibility.”

Fluttershy giggled at the dialogue between the married couple. Quill joined in with a chuckle as well. “They do seem well matched, wouldn’t you agree?” he asked.

Fluttershy smiled at the gray unicorn. “No doubt.”

A loud crash was heard outside the castle which ceased the couples bickering. The group ran to the nearest window and peered out at a strange sight. Quill’s brother, Wit lay in a large pile of what was once a pony’s home. Now it was rubble and stone. Applejack was dashing over to check on the stallion with Rainbow Dash in pursuit.

“What in the world?” Shining asked as he and his wife sped from the room, followed closely by Fluttershy and Quill. The chef pony did not move, not even to turn off the pilot.

----------

“Are you sure you wanna do this, AJ?” Rainbow asked Applejack as the two entered the courtyard.

Applejack had been beating herself up all night about getting into a fight with that stallion, Wit. When she got to her room she had done some self reflection of their conversation and found that she had probably been in the wrong. She probably didn’t need to have called the already irate stallion “sweet pea” either. Wit had been rude, of course, but Applejack was no saint for thinking the stallion a filly either.

All her life she had been around big strong stallions. Her brother, Big Mac, stood above most other ponies in Ponyville and her father had been the county’s bucking champion ten years in a row. Applejack, herself, was no pushover. She wrinkled her brow in thinking how badly she was going to beat the poor stallion. She didn’t want to embarrass the guy.

“Not really, no,” she replied. “I seriously just want to apologize and maybe get an apology in return for how he acted. But if that stallion wants a fight I’m gonna give it to him.”

They entered the large courtyard as Wit entered from the opposite side. Both opponents frowned before glancing away from each other. Wit was the first to return eye contact. “Miss Applejack,” he rubbed the back of his head apologetically, “I want to apologize for my actions last night. My behavior was… reprehensible to say the least. I shouldn’t have talked that way to a mare.”

Rainbow sighed with relief while Applejack gave a small smile. “Aw shucks,” she said. “I got some blame in it all too. I’m sorry for thinking you were…” she paused, not wanting to bring up a touchy subject for the stallion, “well you know.”

Wit smiled and held out his hoof. Applejack extended hers as well and the two shared an apologetic hoof bump. Applejack let out a long breath. “I’m glad we got that out of the way,” she rolled her eyes to the side. “I really didn’t want to start a scene.”

Wit chuckled, rolling his eyes as well. “I know what you mean.”

“I didn’t want to see you lose too badly.” They both said this at the same time, earning a confused glance from both.

“Pardon?” Applejack asked.

“Well, I realize you’re an Apple, Miss Applejack,” Wit replied, waving a hoof dismissively. “However, even with your family’s penchant for strength I’m pretty sure I can beat you.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “You can beat me?”

Wit frowned as he pulled at his collar nervously. “Look, let’s just forget it. It’s in the past anyway.”

Applejack frowned and stomped her hoof. A defiant grin spread across her face. “Hey, now! I’m not a pony to back down to a challenge. If you seriously think you can beat me in test of strength then I say… bring it on ‘sweet pea.’”

Wit’s right eye twitched and Rainbow groaned. Her cyan friend had known Applejack for a long time. She knew when the mare was in a challenging mood. Wit grit his teeth as he breathed slowly to stifle his anger.

“Miss Applejack, you really don’t want to go down this road,” he assured her, never moving his gaze from the orange mare. Applejack kept her eyes glued to his until she was mere inches away then.

“I guess I just need a SIGN to tell me for certain how I should act around you,” she shot back.

Wit’s eye twitched once more at the mention of his last night jab. “Fine!” he shouted. His eyes darted across the courtyard until they spotted a table by a closed café. He used his magic to bring it over and set it between the two. “You want strength? I’ll give you strength!”

Applejack grinned, her previously regretful self already lost in the rush. “Fine by me, sweet pea!” she sat on one end and lifted her elbow onto the table, preparing for a hoof wrestling match. “No magic!”

Wit lifted his derby and set it on the table. He then smoothed back his mane so it didn’t fall in his eyes. He grinned back widely as he set his own elbow on the table and gripped Applejack’s hoof. “Wouldn’t dream of it!”

Rainbow floated between them running a hoof over her face and groaning. “Seriously you two! Can’t you just knock it off? I mean, I love a good game of ‘who’s better’ but this just seems unprofessional.”

Applejack held a hoof up to her friend to silence her while still looking in Wit’s eyes. “Sugar cube, either act as the judge and get us started or fly away.” Her eyes narrowed. “A little filly’s about to be schooled.” Wit’s eyes narrowed as well as he silently seethed.

“Ugh, fine!” Rainbow shouted and set her hooves on the ground placing a hoof on the two’s grip. She held it for what seemed like a minute and then released with a flourish. “Go!” The tension was felt through the air instantly as a small shockwave pulsed from the two. Rainbow felt herself get pushed back an inch or so and looked on at the unflinching struggle between the two ponies. “Woah,” she whispered.

Applejack did not expect the power she was dealing with. The stallion barely came up to her chin and yet he seemed to be on par with her. Her original plan was to simply let the stallion think he had a chance for a minute or two by not putting her weight into it and when it got boring or he yielded she would take him down another peg. But the stallion’s grip was exemplary and he even seemed to be pushing her hoof a little in the wrong direction. Applejack upped her game and pushed a little harder, evening out the grip until both their hooves pointed to the sky again.

Wit did not seem to be fazed by Applejack’s reserve of strength. In fact, the stallion did not seem too winded by the struggle either. Both ponies breathing was normal as they never strayed their eyes from one another. Wit’s size seemed to hide a massive amount of strength. Applejack wondered just where the stallion kept it all.

“I thought I said no magic!” she breathed out, still holding her position.

“I’m offended you think that’s what’s beating you,” Wit breathed out in reply.

A small growl came from both competitors as their faces got a little closer. Applejack gritted her teeth as she began to push more. The table top beneath her elbow began to show signs of cracking. Wit’s breath began to grow a little more ragged as he struggled to keep up with the cowpony. Still the two hooves never deviated from the sky.

After another minute of pushing harder and harder Applejack let out a large shout as she shoved everything she had left into one final push. The table buckled beneath as Wit elbow fell with it and his loss of anchor pulled his body along with Applejack’s trajectory. Her grip on the stallion’s hoof pulled the stallion into a throw and tossed him clear across the courtyard into a house. A loud crash sounded through the air and the house crumbled.

Applejack and Rainbow sat there stunned, both mares with their mouths agape. Suddenly reality hit them and Applejack stood up, frantically rushing to Wit’s side. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” she shouted hysterically.

Rainbow laughed out loud while flying alongside the earth pony. “Wow! Did you see him go flying!? That was incredible!”

Applejack reached the rubble and began to pull stones and tossing them away in search of the small stallion. “I’m so sorry! Please don’t be hurt!”

“I’m fine,” a masculine voice uttered from the insides of the house. Wit trudged wearily from the cloud of dust, clutching his head. A trickle of blood trailing from a small wound above.

Applejack rushed over and grabbed the stallion by the shoulders, checking his wound. “You’re hurt! I am so sorry, Wit! I didn’t… I’d never…”

Wit waved the mare away. “It’s fine. Just a scratch. I’m fine.” His eyes trailed off to something still hidden in the cloud of dust. “But they aren’t.” The dust settled and the scene of a family of two crystal ponies could be seen with a mare and a stallion sitting down at their living chairs to read. However, their coats were dull gray and the ponies did not move in slightest.

Applejack gulped and trudged toward the two. She poked one with a hoof and felt the cold hardness. “Stone,” she whispered.

Rainbow floated up to her and gaped astonishingly at the scene. “I guess now we know why nopony’s been outside for a while.” The three exchanged worried glances.

“Just what in Tartarus is going on!?” a new voice shouted. The three turned around to see Shining Armor, Cadence, Quill and Fluttershy all running toward them. Shining Armor skidded to a halt in front of the wreck. “Just what were you thinking destroying a house!?”

“A better question is,” Quill interrupted. “How did they destroy a house?” He picked up a large stone off handedly studying it. “Wasn’t this pure crystal yesterday?”

Shining drew his attention toward Quill as Cadence went to check on the petrified ponies. The only one who stayed where she was was Fluttershy. The yellow Pegasus began to cough, then a little more violently, then she collapsed. Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Quill rushed over to the fallen mare.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow shouted in concern. “What’s wrong?” She did not respond, her breathing ragged and shallow. Quill leaned in closer to check the mare’s heartbeat. He put his ear to her chest and frowned in concern.

“We need to get her a doctor now! She’s barely breathing.” he stated.

“What’s wrong with her?” Applejack asked frantically.

Quill lifted the Pegasus onto his back as he and the rest ran out of the house. “I don’t know.”