• Published 31st Aug 2015
  • 1,647 Views, 12 Comments

There Will Always Be Light - Semaj



Everypony’s actions have consequences, especially those of a princess. Unfortunately Princess Luna had to learn that lesson the hard way.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,647

Part I "One Shining Star In An Ocean Of Blackness"

Part I

"One shining star in a ocean of blackness."

I was angry… I was SO ANGRY, but didn't know what to do. So I flew away, flew far away, all because I was scared. I never wanted to hurt her, not the way she hurt me. She didn't mean to. I was the one who got angry. I was the one who lashed out.

***

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I thought about all the vicious things I had screamed in my jealous haze. My heart felt abandoned and let emotion take me over. The words that were said, I did not mean them. All that I wanted was for her to understand.

“Oh sister, please forgive me…” It was a silent plea, one that I was sure would never be answered. Exhaustion took me over, and my knees gave out from under my body. The dirt below me was cold and wet.

I rolled myself over onto my back so I could look at the night sky. At least I have something beautiful to look at, I thought to myself, my body crumpled in a pathetic heap. Dragging myself from the mud would not be fun, but there was nothing else I could do.

My hooves shaked as I extended one leg after the other. The difficulty came more from my unwillingness to stand, not my inability. There was no reason for me to go back. She could handle everything without me, and after the way we fought, I was sure she didn't want to see me either.

It was a slow ascent, but I did eventually get to my hooves. Everything on me was dirty, so I spent a moment knocking the dirt from my mane in a feeble attempt to get clean. I looked around at the putrid black forest, not quite sure where to go. In my manic attempt to run away from my problems, I forgot to take note of where I was going.

There was nothing I recognized; the Everfree Forest was certainly vast, but I was sure that I had flown this course before. I strained my eyes to see what was around me, but the more I flew, the more it felt like I was going in circles. Eventually, I gave up and found my way to a large rock face that I could sit on.

Watching the moon crawl across the sky was always something that I enjoyed. It was an easy time-waster when you were not quite sure what to do. However, it could not last forever, and after a few hours, I decided it was time to start flying again, but just as I was getting ready to continue searching for a way home, the darkness exploded into blinding light.

Moments later, I was hit by an earth-shattering soundwave. My body locked up; the sudden shock made it felt like my heart had stopped. My confusion only intensified when I turned around to see a small house being engulfed in flames. What was in the house I had no idea, but I knew I had to do something. Taking a deep breath, I opened my wings and dove off the cliff. The eye-searing blaze of burning wood was easy to see from so high up; unfortunately, that did not change the fact that it was a good thousand yards away. I pushed myself as hard as I could, but my muscles burned. The only option I had was to force my way through.

When I neared the ground, I pulled back my wings to slow down; instead, my body spiraled out of control, sending me crashing head-first into the ground. I peeled myself off the cracked earth and looked around to see the flaming house close by. Next order of business: I needed to make sure that nopony inside was hurt.

Before I could even think about what to do next, I heard a scream that sounded like a foal’s. The heat engulfed me as I took a deep breath and threw my body through the door, and I could feel my fur being singed. But I had to save whomever made that cry.

The screams appeared be coming from a small room at the top of a rickety set of stairs. Fire was covering everything and thick smoke coated my lungs, but nothing could stop me. I was going to save that foal if it was the last thing I did.

There was a cradle in the corner of the room, and I knew that would be the target from my final charge. Running through flames was extremely painful, but once adrenaline kicked in, it eased the pain slightly. I forced my body to the cradle and looked inside of it to see a lone foal covered in soot, screaming. In a flash, I scooped it up and smashed myself through the window. As soon as I had flown a safe distance away from the burning wreck, I fainted and plummeted from the sky.

The last thing I remember from that night was watching the house come crashing to the ground, framed by the light of the full moon.



Some time later, my eyes shot open at the sound of jubilant giggling. Soon I found myself muzzle to muzzle with a dark blue foal. “Oh! Why hello there, young one!” I croaked. The foal ignored me and instead started playing with my hair. “Halt! Thou shalt not touch the royal mane!” I said, dawning my best Royal Canterlot Voice. The foal ignored my command and proceeded to bite my horn. “NO! Stop that!” I cried out, flailing my forelegs back and forth. I jumped to my hooves, but the tiny pony still clung to my horn. I sighed. This is going to be a long day. “Little one, remove thine teeth from Our horn at once, or We may have to implement force!” The foal began to flutter its tiny wings and giggle. I frowned, wrapped my hooves around the child, and inched its body away from my head. Getting the little thing off of my horn was not as simple as expected. Eventually the child did cooperate and get on the ground, but it was not very happy about it.

“WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” it wailed, distraught at no longer being able to gnaw on me.

“Oh no! Little one, please stop! We did not mean to make you cry!” I lifted the foal up and cradled him in a desperate attempt to calm him down. “Oh no oh no oh no!” I muttered to myself. What should I do? I do not know anything about children! “OH NO OH NO OH N—” My body froze, and I looked down at the foal in front of me. Wait! What am I doing!? Pull yourself together! You are LUNA, Princess Of The Night! What are you doing losing your head over one disobedient foal? “Child!” I shouted puffing out my chest. “We command thee to stop your incessant whining forthwith!” The foal stopped crying for a moment and stared at me. Hoping that my stern words had gotten across, I stared back. A few silent seconds passed, and then out of nowhere the foal started to giggle again. I was shocked. What did I do?

“You talk funny!” said the foal, smiling wide.

“What!?” I shouted. “‘TIS A LIE!”

At that, the foal started laughing even harder.

“Goodness,” I stammered, rubbing my temples. “We think it time for us to go.”


It was much easier to find my way back to the castle once it was daytime. I was not quite sure how to explain the foal to Celestia. She probably would not even notice; she is so absorbed in that project of hers, I thought. Either way, I should not take any chances. I should go through the window and hide it in my room.

***

It was night once again as I approached the castle. I flew high above the Everfree Forest and to the window of my tower bedroom. Thank goodness I left the window open when I flew out last night. After we had that fight… The battle still rung in my brain, and no matter how hard I tried, our poisonous words stuck to my brain like tar.

There was a quiet swoosh as I landed on the floor of my room and took the foal off my back. I frowned and looked him in the face again. Babies were never something I was particularly interested in, but I had to admit he was cute, especially when sleeping. Though his jet black mane was messy, and his face was covered in ash, he still looked healthy. I should give him a bath in the morning… wait, how do I do that? I guess I shall have to figure that out as I go along, I thought as I began to levitate the little pegasus.

I trotted over to my cabinet and grabbed a blanket with my mouth. I hope this will make for a decent bed, at least until I can find his family, If they're alive. Laying the blanket down on my floor, I Nestled the sleeping pegasus into it. “There!” I said, flopping down onto my own bed. A loud yawn slipped from my mouth as I wrapped my favorite blanket around me. I turned and again looked at the child that lay at the foot of my bed. It was memorizing the way his small body gently rose and fell, safe in his fluffy fortress. My eyes began to grow heavy, and for the first time in days, genuinely smiled.

***

The next morning, I woke up with a start to a loud pounding on my door. “Hello, Luna? Are you in there?” It was Celestia’s voice.

“What?!” I screamed as I rolled out of my bed and crashed to the floor.

Knock knock knock.

There it came again.

A sudden burst of pain swelled in my head as I looked over to where I had left the foal. Please tell me that he has not woken up yet. To my dismay, all that I saw was an empty blanket. Oh no! Where could he be!?

“Uh… Coming,” I said, trying keep my composure. I suppose I could just tell her the truth, I considered as I shuffled my way to the door. It is not like she’s going to get mad, right?

Just to prolong the process even further, when cracking the door open, I made sure to take as long as possible. Unfortunately, that did not stop my heart from racing as I peered out and locked eyes with my sister. “Oh, uh, hello there sister!” I said, forcing a smile.

“Hello, Luna,” she replied. “I came to check on you. You know, to see if you were alright.”

Just then, a loud crash came from inside my room, followed by a joyous giggle.

“What was that!?" asked Celestia twisting her neck to see what was going on.

“Nothing! Nothing at all!” I blurted out. “Everything is absolutely wonderful! Thank you for coming to visit, but I reeaally should catch up on my sleep, and—”

Celestia interrupted me, “Wait, Luna. I have something important I must tell you.”

Perfect! I thought. Everything is running very smoothly this morning!

“Oh, well if it is important, then of course!” I droned through gritted teeth.

“I am sorry I hurt you, okay. I love you, Luna, and I want to let you know that you mean everything to me.” Celestia looked at me, her eyes heavy with regret. "And I know I don't always show it in the way I should, but don’t feel like just because I am not around that it means I don’t love you more than anypony in all Equestria. Alright?” She looked at me, her legs frozen in place. I looked back, but just as I was about to respond, I felt a slight tugging at my leg. Oh no! Not now! I thought as I felt a tiny body cling to my back leg like a bear trap.

“Yes of course! Thank you, sister!” I stammered, slamming the door in her face.

“Oh. Goodbye. I'll be seeing you, I suppose…”

Why did I do that?! I thought, frustrated. Why can I not do anything right!? I groaned as I glanced back at the furry ball of flesh that was clinging to my leg. His eyes were wide, and a great big smile lay across his little face. I was angry, but the moment I met eyes with that tiny pony, my heart softened. There was no way I could have been mad at a face like that.

***

I made my way through the castle, tiphoofing through every hidden passage and secret entrance I could. I really should get a bathtub in my room, I thought as I levitated my new friend to my chest, hiding him from view. There was a loud clacking as I galloped down the stairs that lead to the royal bathing chambers, but I payed no mind, for I was getting close. Finally, I was able to heave a sigh of relief as I trotted up to the room's massive bejeweled doors.

There was a loud squeaking sound as I turned on one of golden faucets of the extravagant tubs. Warm water then hissed its way through the pipes and waterfalled into the porcelain. Next, I grabbed my mischievous pegasus and lowered him into the shallow end of the warm water. He was surprisingly calm: no fuss, no crying, just a dopey smile.

A pungent stink filled the air. It was me. Realizing it was probably a good idea for me to take a bath as well, I took off my crown and climbed the little stairway that lead up to the bath. Feeling the warmth flow across my body as I lowered myself into the water was quite relaxing. After decompressing for a few moments, I then sat down in front of the patient foal and used my magic to grab a scrub brush and soap. With almost no effort, I was able to clean the pegasus and even have a little fun.

“WHEE!” cried the foal full of glee as I spun him around me. See, Luna! Taking care of foals is not THAT hard; you were worried for nothing! I thought as I held the sopping wet pegasus above my head.

After I had gotten us both clean, I made my way back to my room and set the tiny colt onto my bed—He was a colt, I checked—. I looked at him now that he was clean and smiled at the sight of his cute little freckles. It was a shame that they had been covered by soot for so long.

I thought about the fire and about the child's family. Maybe they are still alive, I hoped, knowing full well that it was a fantasy.

“So,” I broke the silence. “Do you have a name young one?”

“Uh..." he paused for a few moments. "Starry Night! But daddy always calls me Starry for short."

Daddy, I thought, a burst of depression shivering through my body. So he does remember something of his upbringing.

“Oh my! That is a great name! Is it okay if I call you Starry too?” He smiled and nodded. I will find them! I tried to convince myself. I will! And they will be alive!

***

The months ahead were troublesome. Searching for his parents was proving to be quite the difficult task. I started by looking for the house that I had found him in, or what was left of it. I thought there might be some sort of clue to be found: an address, a note, something. Maybe there was an answer to be found in the ash and cinders of that building, but it didn’t matter because the house was gone. It was odd; it was almost as if it simply disappeared from existence.

Next, I decided that the best thing to do was to get in contact with the missing ponies department and see if any foals who matched Starry Night’s appearance had gone missing recently. I was surprised to find out how many foals went missing each year, but I was even more surprised to find out that not a single one matching Starry’s age and description had been reported anywhere in Equestria.

My entire life was beginning to fall apart. Between my duties as Princess and trying to take care of and hide a baby, I had enough stress to make a normal pony snap.

***

I trotted into my room at the end of an exhaustingly long day. Much of my time had been spent dodging my sister and looking through the newest missing pony reports. I yawned and thought about all the things I had to do. The crushing weight of stress on my mind felt heavier than normal that night.

Every fiber of my being wanted to help Starry, but no matter what I tried, I felt useless. I thought about giving him up to the adoption agencies, but I saw how some of those places treated orphans, and I just could not risk it. Maybe I was being paranoid. Trusting was not really a word that applied to me during those days. Loneliness drowned my mind, and it felt like I had to do everything by myself.

However just as I was beginning to have a mental breakdown, I saw a pair of hooves come up from under my bed.

“Hello?” slurred Starry who was poking his head above the side of the bed.

“Hello little one,” I replied, struggling to put on a smile.

Starry looked at me, his head cocked to the side. “What’s wrong, Woona?” asked the living furball.

“Nothing,” I lied.

***

The next morning, I decided that I needed some rest and that the things I had planned for the day could wait. I tried my best to fall back asleep for a few more hours, but somehow slumber evaded me.

Eventually, I gave up, pulled myself out of bed, and made my way to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and realized how messy my mane really was, then levitated a brush to my head and began to battle with my sparkling blue locks. Soon after, I began to hear a rustling from my room.

“Starry? Are you awake already?” I peered out the bathroom door, and my jaw dropped when I did not see him. Instead, I found myself staring down the Captain of the Royal Guard. He looked at me with one eyebrow raised.

“Oh, salutations!” I said, sticking my face mere inches out of the open door.

“Hello, Princess,” said the guard, looking over me with his cold blue eyes. “I’m sorry that I came in unannounced, but Princess Celestia sent me to get you. She said you’ve been distant… She’s worried about you, Luna. We’re all worried about you.”

“Tell Celestia I am fine," I snapped, avoiding the guard's penetrating gaze.

“Alright, I will tell her nothing's wrong, but I have to ask. Is it true?”

I turned towards him, only locking eyes for a brief moment. “No, it is not.”

He nodded, his eyebrows still floating high on his forehead. “Alright. Well, if there is anything I can do for you—"

"No," I cut him off.

"Okay then," he said as he turned to leave. "One more thing, if it's not too much to ask...” He turned back and and glared at me. "Who is Starry?”

“Nopony, I simply misspoke. I am sorry.” I looked at him with begging eyes.

He looked back at me, and his strong face melted into an understanding frown. “Alright,” he said and trotted away.

My jaw hung open as I stood motionless in the bathroom doorway. A small rustling noise from inside the bedroom brought me back to reality. I looked around to see where the sound was coming from and leaped back when I saw a little head peek out from under the bed.

“Who was that, Woona?” asked the foal, his shaking body still covered by the end of my blanket.

“Calm down little one,” I said, lifting Starry off the ground. “He was just one of the Royal Guards, that’s all.” I smiled and wiped the tears out of his eyes.

“What’s a Royal Guard?" He asked.

“Oh um... how should I explain this?” I mumbled. “Well, you see, I am an important pony around here, and the Royal Guard's job is to make sure that important ponies like me stay safe.”

“Are they good guys?” he asked.

I smiled and said, “Yes, Starry, they are very good guys! They are strong, compassionate, and the only thing between me and the ponies who might want to harm me.”

Starry Looked at me, his eyes glowing. “One day I’m going to grow up to be a big strong stallion, and I’m gonna be able to protect you!” He smiled an enchanting smile. “Just like you protected me!”

“Oh Starry,” I said, my eyes welling up with tears. “I am sure you will.” I clutched him to my chest and felt the warmth of his tiny body. Then, for the first time since I found him, I thought, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if we never find his parents.

***

A few weeks passed, and I was sitting on my bed preparing to go to a royal meeting when Starry trotted up and looked at at me. "What?" I asked upon seeing Starry's pouting face.

"Do you have to go, Woona?"

"I am sorry, Starry, but I do. I am only going to be gone for a short while."

"But it's sooooo boring when you're at those dumb meeting thingies," he whined.

"Those ‘thingies’ are extremely important, Starry. I wish I could be here for you too, but it's my job."

"But there's nothing to doooo!"

I sighed and rubbed my chin, trying to think of something for Starry to play with. Just then, I was struck with an idea. "I think I might have just the thing for you," I said as I strolled over to my closet and pulled open its grand doors. I stuck my head in and lugged out a huge dusty chest with a rusty lock. "You see, this box was given to me a long, long, loooooong time ago back when I was your age." I blew the dust off the beat-up trunk and unhinged the latch. "And when I was a little filly, I put all my toys and things in here." I opened it with care, as not to break its old hinges, and peered inside. I smiled. "They are all still here." I reached in with my mouth, making sure to grip them only hard enough to move them and pulled out five hoof-made toy soldiers. "These are for you," I said as I lay the worn dolls down in front of Starry.

He pulled his head back and stared at the dolls. "What are they?"

"They are soldiers. They fight for what is right and protect us, just like the Guards. They were mine, but I have not even touched them in a long time. So I thought maybe it was time to pass them on to somepony who will love them as much as I did… In other words, they are yours now." Starry's face exploded with joy and he threw himself on me.

"Thank you so much, Woona!"

I didn’t hug back at first. I was too busy being shocked, but I eventually found my hooves wrapped around his body.

"Anything for you, little one."

***

Years came, and years went. I searched and I searched, but no matter how hard I looked, it seemed as if Starry Night's family didn't even exist. I invested so much time into finding Starry's parents that everything became a blur for a while. Starry played with his toys, and I did my job. Due to my constant avoidance of my sister, our relationship was becoming more and more strained as time marched on. I spoke to her very little back then; the only times that we seemed to have conversations longer than a few sentences was when we were shouting at each other. It was getting so bad that even the ponies of Equestria started to notice. Bit by bit, I could feel the uncertainty crawl across the kingdom, and I hated it. I had few ponies to talk to, and as the days creeped by, I became more and more depressed. All the little things that used to make me happy did not do it for me anymore. But it wasn't all bad. There was always at least one reason to wake up in the morning, one shining star in a ocean of blackness.