• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 1,214 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing In The Shadows - Bluecatcinema



Echo and Sunset take a trip to investigate a troublemaking band of uniquely-powered ponies.

  • ...
4
 69
 1,214

Remembrance

That evening, Echo informed Sunset of what he had heard in Nocturne's recordings.

"It's unsettling, is what it is." Echo frowned. "I'd never heard my father talk like that in all the years we were together."

"Maybe he was just... different back then." Sunset suggested. "Ponies do change, after all. I know I did..."

"Maybe." Echo sighed. "But still, I find it hard to believe that he ever acted like that."

"Sometimes, when a pony's set their heart on something, they tend to get a little... blinkered." Sunset suggested. "I was always so single-mindedly obsessed with my research, you couldn't tell me apart from the books I was reading."

"I can't help but wonder what I will hear in the next recording." Echo admitted. "I'm almost considering not listening to it at all. Unfortunately, it may prove crucial to our goals, so I have no choice."

"Maybe it won't get worse?" Sunset suggested. "Maybe you'll hear something like the Nocturne you knew in the next one?"

"I hope so." Echo sighed. "Because right now, that doesn't even sound like the stallion who took me in and gave me a home. It sounds like... a stranger. A cold, callous stranger."

"Come to bed, Echo." Sunset urged. "A good night's sleep might help."

"Good thinking, my dear." Echo smiled. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"If you're lucky, you'll never have to find out." Sunset smirked.

Echo climbed into the hammock besides Sunset's.

"Good night, love." He smiled.

"Good night." Sunset beamed.

The two shared a kiss before curling up to sleep, holding hooves just as they did the night before. Despite his worried thoughts, Echo felt better just having Sunset near to him, and fell asleep before long.

The next morning, they joined the pack in the kitchen, Echo's worries pushed aside for the moment.

"Good morning, all." Echo declared.

"Morning." Elatha smiled.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" Sunset asked.

"Most of us are going out on patrol." Artorias revealed. "We like to make sure our forest is clear of interlopers."

"You sure do..." Sunset scowled, recalling their first meeting.

"Then there are those of us whose turn it is to go foraging for food." Aether added.

"Yeah, we gotta fill up our reserves." Wave added. "A certain somepony is burning through what we've already got..."

"I'm pregnant, you jerk." Sunset glared. "Get over it!"

"What, you think that stuff we forage for just grows on tree?" Wave growled.

"Actually, it does." Elatha deadpanned.

"That's not the point." Wave shot back. "It ain't easy, going out and finding that stuff. Not to mention it doesn't just grow back overnight."

"Funny how you're the one complaining about being short of food, considering you easily ate the most out of all of us before Sunset came along." Snow frowned.

"Nuh-uh!" Wave pouted.

"Yeah-huh!" Snow shot back.

"Nuh-uh!"

"Yeah-huh!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"Seriously?" Moana frowned, "You're fighting with a child!"

"Don't ya mean 'winnin''?" Wave snorted. "'Sides, she started it."

"Did not." Snow growled.

"Did too." Wave shot back.

"Alright, that's enough." Artorias scowled. "Arguing isn't going to fill our larder. Wave, you and Nano are with me on patrol. Moana and Aether, go and forage. Willow, you stay here with Elatha, Snow, and our guests."

"What?" Willow frowned. "Why must I-?"

"Because it's your turn." Nano declared. "You know how the schedule goes."

"I am no foalsitter." Willow pouted. "I would much rather be patrolling the forest." He glanced at Moana. "Or even foraging..."

"We need you here." Artorias insisted. "What if our enemies were to stumble upon the den while we were away? Even with Echo and Susnet, Elatha and Snow would be as good as dead. Your power makes you an ideal protector, as tight, cramped spaces such as these tunnels would make it difficult for invaders to avoid your attacks."

"You can't argue with logic like that." Aether smirked.

"I suppose not." Willow sighed. "Very well. I shall remain."

"Sorry, Willow." Moana told him. "I'll bring back some of those nuts you like."

"Thank you, my dear." Willow smiled. "As always, your kindness is a beacon in the darkness of my life."

"You're welcome." Moana blushed lightly.

"Alright, let's move out." Artorias ordered.

"Yes, sir." Nano nodded.

"Be safe, everypony." Aether told the others.

"You too." Elatha declared.

"Bring me back some strawberries!" Snow grinned.

"Sure thing, squirt." Wave chuckled.

As the majority of the pack departed, only Elatha, Snow, Willow, Echo and Sunset were left.

"I must say, your pack is quite efficient in the placement of its members." Echo declared.

"Efficient, yes." Willow nodded. "Unfortunately, efficiency isn't always a good thing."

"Well, there aren't that many of you." Sunset pointed out. "You can only spread yourselves so thin."

"There were more of us at one time." Willow admitted.

"There were?" Echo asked. "What happened to them?"

"Do you really want to know?" Willow asked.

"Sure we do." Sunset nodded. "We're here to learn about you guys, remember?"

"Then follow me." Willow urged.

"Come on, Snow." Elatha told her daughter. "Let's go get some fresh water."

"Okay." Snow nodded.

As Elatha and Snow went one way, Willow led Echo and Sunset another. They headed down a passage the visitors had briefly passed during the tour.

"Where are you taking us?" Echo asked. "Nano told us that this area is used for storage and spare rooms."

"Not all of them." Willow said grimly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sunset frowned. "Did he leave something out?"

"Only because he must have felt it was not for your eyes." Willow replied. "But I believe you must see it. That way, you will know just what our way of life has cost us."

Echo and Sunset looked at each other, unsure.

Willow spotted at a door, inscribed with an "R". He opened it, and beckoned Echo and Sunset to follow. Inside was a small chamber, with several artifacts resting on logs of wood standing upright.

"What is this place?" Echo asked.

"This is our chamber of remembrance." Willow announced. "It is where we pay homage to those of us who are... no longer around."

"No longer around." Echo frowned. "You mean..."

"Yes." Willow nodded. "These tributes are all we have left to remind us of pack members who were killed. Most of them by those bile-spewing bigots."

"There's quite a few, isn't there?" Sunset said, unnerved.

"Even with Artorias on our side, we are not invincible." Willow sighed. "Every so often, we lose one of our own." he stopped at a silvery, lightning shaped pendant. "This is our monument to Quicksilver, our most recent loss."

"Who was he... if you don't mind my asking?" Echo said tentatively.

"I don't." Willow sighed. "Quicksilver possessed the power of super-speed. He could move faster than lightning." He smiled lightly. "He also had a quick tongue, always laughing and joking. It used to annoy me to no end, but now..."

"How did he die?" Sunset asked.

"After leaving our group, he was hunted down and killed by ponies unknown." Willow scowled. "If only he had stayed with us, he would have been safe. Unfortunately, he was too much of a free spirit to remain tied down to one place for long. We couldn't stop from leaving, and he believed his speed could keep him ahead of our enemies... alas, he was wrong."

"What about these others?" Sunset asked. "Did they all leave too?"

"Most of them, but not all." Willow declared.

"Why would they leave, anyway?" Sunset asked. "Granted, this place is no five star hotel, but it's better than what's waiting for Nightcrawlers outside."

"Some of our former members left due to... conflicts of interest." Willow declared. "Artorias is a fine leader, but as you yourself know, Mrs Alchemy, he isn't everypony's cup of tea. Some of our former members found his leadership... unsavory. They would disagree with his tactics, his combat style, and even his day-to-day operations. Ultimately, it would grow to be too much for them, and they would choose to make their own way in the world, without us. There were always arguments when they left. Artorias does not suffer 'deserters' gladly. He would rant at them about how they had pledged to stand with their brothers and sisters, and were thus breaking the pledge, how being in the pack kept them safe, and that leaving would mean a death sentence. He couldn't get through to most of them, but he didn't stop them either. Ironically, those who left didn't last too long on the outside, which seemed to prove Artorias' point."

"Curious..." Echo mused. "And the others?"

"The rest were killed in the midst of carrying out our mission." He looked upon a red, circular earring. "Like Scarlet, for example. She was Quicksilver's sister. She possessed the ability to alter probability on a minor scale."

"Meaning?" Sunset frowned.

"She could make unlikely things happen." Willow clarified. "Things such as the enemies' weapons breaking, or a pursuer tripping over his own hooves."

"I see." Echo mused. "But how did she...?"

"She was killed saving one of our own kind." Willow sighed. "A Nightcrawler by the name of Tiller, who possessed the ability to control the soil beneath his hooves. Intolerant ponies had set ablaze Tiller's home. Scarlet managed to save him by using her powers to limit the likelihood of his burning house collapsing on them. She managed to get him out, but the strain was too much to save herself. The house collapsed on her."

"Oh no..." Sunset gasped.

"Not long after that, Quicksilver, heartbroken by the loss of his sister, decided to give up on this life." Willow declared. "The reason he stayed with us to begin with was to watch out for his sister. They hailed from a small village many miles from here. Not long after their Tenebros genes activated, a villager say Scarlet testing out her powers. She was branded a 'dark magic user' and the villagers rallied to have her burned at the stake. Quicksilver got her to safety, but they were left with nowhere to go, until we found them. Scarlet was more than willing to take us up on our offer, but Quicksilver thought they'd be better off by themselves. Scarlet managed to convince him otherwise, and they joined the team, though Quicksilver always held an aloof attitude towards the rest of us, complied with an overly protective attitude toward his sister. Not long after Scarlet perished, he departed, but not before giving us all an earful about how we had 'let her die', and that he was right all along about the two of them being better off alone. And then... well, at least now, they're together again."

"What of the Nightcrawler Scarlet saved?" Echo asked.

"We offered him a place with us, but he declined." Willow revealed. "He chose to simply move to a new town, and hide his powers, so he could try and pass for a regular pony."

"That's not too bad an idea." Sunset admitted. "I'm surprised none of you have done that. Aside from Artorias and his family, the rest of you could easily pose for normal."

"But why would we want to?" Willow frowned, "We should not have to hide what we are because of other ponies. We are each the writers of our own stories, the performers of our own plays. To let others dictate those scenes means forfeiting the right to forge out own destinies... besides, even if I wanted to go back to my old life, I doubt I could, after all the trouble I caused."

"What sort of trouble?" Echo asked.

"I don't wish to bore you with the details." Willow said hesitantly.

"You won't." Sunset insisted. "Besides, we've already heard Nano's backstory."

"We would be an appreciative audience." Echo promised.

"...Very well." Willow nodded. "But I shall tell you elsewhere. This is hardly the place for a monologue..."

The trio made their way to the main chamber, each taking a seat.

"Now, let me begin. In my former life, I was an actor." Willow revealed.

"Kinda figured on that." Sunset smirked.

"Though I dreamt of playing the greatest roles in the greatest theatres, the truth was I hadn't been doing so well in theater for the longest time." Willow admitted. "It wasn't because of my acting, you understand. As you've seen for yourself, I am quite the performer."

"Indeed." Echo nodded.

"Alas, what turned ponies off was how grim I tended to be." Willow sighed. "As as it is with all the greats, I often fought depression."

"Depression? What in Equestria would you have to be depressed about?" Sunset asked. Willow gave a deadpan stare. "Aside from the obvious, of course."

"It was a rough point in my life." He reflected. "Despite my talents, I had actually struggled to make my way in the acting world, but there were all sorts of road bumps. I had to contend with low income, a dingy shack for a home, and a distinct lack of friends, even in the business."

"I know what that feels like." Echo empathised.

"No wonder you were so down." Sunset sighed.

"Try as I did to look on the bright side of life, my depression began interfering with my work." Willow continued. "My performances were often spoken in a tone that most ponies found to be not dissimilar to a funeral dirge. And my fellow performers were somewhat offput by my bemoaning the worth of life and other such existential subjects. It was as if I had done nothing but read Edgar Allan Plow all my life... and I don't even like Edgar Allan Plow."

"How did you gain your powers?" Sunset asked.

"Ah, t'was a day I'll never forget." Willow sighed. "I grew up in the city of Trottingham. I had always possessed a flair for acting, so it was only natural that I grew up to become a performer. One year, the local drama group to which I belonged was putting together a product of MacBolt. I had naturally gotten the title role, and one aspect of my performance was wielding a mighty sword. Little did I know that the prop sword I held, which the props manager had bought from an antique store, was actually a dark magic artifact. I eventually learned that it was known as the sword of sorrow, able to induce unending misery in those it cut. It dumbfounded me when I found out. The more I rehearsed with it, the more of its dark magic seeped into me."

"And you were not aware anything was happening?" Echo inquired.

"Not one bit." Willow admitted. "I did catch the gem in the sword's hilt gleam once, but I assumed it to be a mere trick of the light."

"And you didn't... fell weird, or anything?" Sunset asked.

"I did feel a slight chill." Willow nodded. "But it was the winter months, and I assumed it to be the result of the drafty theatre."

"So... when did your Tenebros gene activate?" Echo asked.

"At the worst possible time, as it turned out." Willow said sombrely.

"I had a feeling you'd say that..." Sunset frowned.

"During the play's opening night, I went out on stage and performed my establishing lines." Willow recalled. "As I looked upon the audience, I saw that they were actually bored by my performance. I was downright furious. I had been working my flanks off these past months and giving my all just to entertain the masses, and those peons barely even acknowledged my efforts! Before I knew it, my wings started to glow. I was quite perturbed, as you can imagine. In my shock, and hoping that this is just some glowing paint that spilled on my wings, I thought I could remove the glow by flapping as hard as I could. It took only two flaps for a massive hurricane to come into being in the theatre. To my horror, the winds demolished the stage, and sent my fellow performers and audience members alike flying."

"My word..." Echo gasped.

"I can't imagine how much damage that could have done." Sunset frowned.

"Consider yourself lucky." Willow snarked. "I saw it firsthoof. Horrified by the destruction I had caused, I retreated to my apartment, questioning just what I had done and how I done it. Of course, it wasn't long before an angry mob came after me, baying for my blood. I tried to tell them it was an accident, that I had no control over what I had done, but they refused to listen. They considered me a 'monster' or 'demon' who needed to be slain. I was forced to flee the city. As I ran into the wilds, I encountered Artorias and his pack. They informed me of what I had become, and offered me a place among them. Not having many other options, I gladly took them up on their offer, and I've been a steadfast member of this unique gathering ever since."

"I imagine Aether's abilities are what allowed them to find you so quickly." Echo surmised.

"That they did." Willow nodded. "If it weren't for them, I would have no doubt been lynched over the destruction of the theatre."

"It's sad, really." Sunset sighed. "Some ponies fear what they don't understand."

"And because of that fear, I lost both my home, and my career." Willow frowned. "All I ever wanted was to be on stage, and regale audiences with my performances. But it seems that dream is no more. Fate, it appears, had different plans for me, one that didn't involve entertaining others."

"Well, you do still get to perform for Snow and the others." Echo pointed out.

"True." Willow nodded. "But it's not the same. Performing for such a small audience just doesn't hold the same appeal for me..."

"We all lose things in our lives." Echo declared. "Dreams, hopes, goals... Sometimes, we just can't have things the way we want them."

"So true." Willow sighed. "And I haven't had things the way I wanted for a long time..."

"Well, it's not all bad." Sunset smiled. "At least there's Moana..."

"Wh-what are you talking about?" Willow said awkwardly.

"I believe Sunset is referring to the affection you hold for your fellow pack member." Echo smirked.

"I... I don't know what you're talking about!" Willow blushed.

"Oh, come on." Sunset chuckled. "It's pretty obvious you have a thing for her. And unless I miss my guess, the feeling is mutual."

"Perhaps, but I'm hardly in the best position to pursue a romantic endeavor." Willow frowned. "As you learned today, we have lost members before, and no doubt will in future. I will not admit my feelings to Moana, then subject her to the pain of losing me. I mean, had you seen her? She would drown herself in her own tears. On the other hoof, I am not willing to experience the same thing. For all of us, love is a luxury we cannot afford."

"I understand your hesitation." Echo declared. "I once was hesitant to admit my love for Sunset."

"With all due respect, your lives weren't constantly hanging in the balance." Willow snorted.

"You'd be surprised." Sunset deadpanned.

"Though I would dearly like to admit my feelings to Moana, it just wouldn't be feasible." Willow insisted. "This life of ours is too dangerous. And I'll thank you not to mention it to her either."

"Of course we won't." Echo declared. "You have my word."

"I know how to keep a secret." Sunset smiled.

Moments later, Moana and Aether returned from their foraging, each carrying bags full of food.

"Everypony still in one piece?" Aether smiled. "Excellent!"

"I'm always a little worried when I leave the den." Moana admitted. "Here, Willow." She dug around in the bag. "I got those nuts for you."

"Thank you, Moana." Willow took a couple of the nuts. "I am truly grateful to have you with us."

"You're welcome." Moana blushed.

"So, anything of note happen here?" Aether asked.

"Oh, nothing much." Echo shrugged.

"Yeah." Sunset agreed. "We just got to know each other a little better, that's all."

"Splendid." Aether grinned.

That evening, Echo, Sunset by his side, listened to the next recording.

"It took longer than expected, but I finally located a Nightcrawler." Nocturne's voice announced. "He is a Unicorn by the name of Mandragora, and he possesses the ability to control plants. He hides this ability in public, but utilizes it in his position as a gardener. To think, a power such as that has myriad applications. It could solve world hunger, restore entire forests... all that potential, found within a simple gardener."

"So far, so good." Sunset smiled. "It sounds like your dad was looking to use those powers for good after all."

"So it seems." Echo nodded.

"I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Mandragora at his place of work, making flowers bloom." Nocturne continued. "He was quite standoffish at first, at first denying that he had done anything, then threatening to choke me in weeds if I told anypony. Fortunately, I was able to convince him that I had no interest in exposing him, and only wished to talk. Through dogged cajoling, I eventually managed to get him to talk about his past... namely how his gained his powers. He told me that his grandfather possessed an obsidian orchid that he had been given in the old stallion's will. The moment, he touched it, he felt a charge of magic, and a potted plant started to sway and move as he did. It seems my theory about dark magic being the catalyst is true after all. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to want to talk much after that. Even though I tried to explain that my research into his kind would change the world for the better, he refused to have anything more to do with me, preferring his life as it is. Not wanting to raise his ire, I departed... though I did manage to extract a lock of his hair for further analysis. You don't know it, Mr Mandragora, but you're about to help me make history."

"Hmmm." Echo frowned, as the recording ended.

"So he took some of the guy's hair without his permission." Sunset shrugged. "Not really a crime, is it?"

"No." Echo frowned. "And after what we learned today, I don't blame Mandragora for wanting to keep his powers a secret."

"Yeah." Sunset sighed. "I can't believe the pack lost so many members before now."

"Neither can I." Echo nodded. "Still, the idea that my father would go against Mandragora's wishes is a tad disconcerting."

"Well, it wasn't like he was kidnapping Mandragora and strapping him down to an operating table, was it?" Sunset asked.

"True." Echo nodded. "Perhaps you were right, my love. Perhaps these recordings will soon start sounding better."

"Haven't you learned by now?" Sunset nudged him. "I'm always right."

"I hope you brought some hard evidence for that." Echo said jokingly.

"Right here." Sunset kissed him.

"Can't argue with that." Echo chuckled. "No matter how hard I try..."