• Published 26th Aug 2015
  • 746 Views, 10 Comments

Love Made of Metal and Apples - Gearsmash King



Two very different ponies meet at the Grand Galloping Gala. Will they fall in love or will it be all for nothing?

  • ...
5
 10
 746

Chapter 5: Something To Think About

As Copper Finish laid in the bed, he thought about what he had just seen. As he thought, Fire Bolt, who was still in the chair, woke up and looked over at Copper Finish. He was excited to see his friend awake and smiling.

"Oh, thank Celestia!" Fire Bolt said, "Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting?!"

Copper Finish just smiled and said, "It's nice to see you too, Bolt."

Copper Finish wanted to sit up straight, but every time he moved, pain shot through his body. Fire Bolt saw what his friend was trying to do and helped him.

"So," Fire Bolt said, "how do you feel?"

"Well," Copper Finish answered, "other than the fact that I'm in a hospital bed, covered with bandages and in some pain, I'm good. You?"

"Better, now that you're awake." Fire Bolt replied with a small grin.

Copper Finish looked around the room and was a little concerned.

"Hey, Bolt," Copper Finish said, "where's my stuff?"

Copper Finish's hat, cape, hoof gauntlets, and goggles were missing. He hoped that they weren't thrown away, because they were gifts from his grandparents. Each one was carefully hoof made and were special to him.

"Don't worry, Coppa." Fire Bolt reassured him, "Rarity took your hat and cape to her place to fix them."

"What about my goggles and gauntlets?" Copper Finish asked.

"I sent them back to Canterlot, to get them repaired." Fire Bolt replied, "They'll be there when you get back home."

Copper Finish thought for a moment and remembered his dream.

"Actually," Copper Finish said, "I've been thinking."

"About what?" Fire Bolt asked.

Copper Finish started telling Fire Bolt about his dream and what he thought it meant. He told him about the town and about how he felt afterward. Then he told Fire Bolt about Princess Luna visiting him and showing him a better choice. Fire Bolt was trying his best to understand what Copper Finish was saying to him.

"So," Fire Bolt said, "what are you saying?"

"What I'm saying is, I'm going to move to Ponyville and try to get Applejack to like me." Copper Finish said.

Fire Bolt looked at his friend in confusion. Before he could say anything else, the door opened and a unicorn doctor entered the room. He was levitating a clipboard and looking at it very carefully.

"Ah, Mr. Finish, " the doctor said, "it's good to see you awake and up right."

"Thank you, doctor." Copper Finish said, "I don't mean to be pushy, but when can I leave?"

The doctor looked at his clipboard and flipped the pages.

"We'll have to run some tests on you first and see how well you recover." The doctor said, "But judging by your charts here, it shouldn't be too long. The injuries you acquired aren't severe and your medical history shows that you are a fast healer."

"Okay, thank you, doctor." Copper Finish said with a small smile.

The doctor nodded and left the room. They both watched as the doctor closed the door. Then Fire Bolt looked back at his friend and stared hard at him.

"Don't give me that look, Bolt." Copper Finish said, still looking at the door.

"What look?" Fire Bolt asked.

"That look you give me when you think I've got no idea what I'm doing." Copper Finish replied.

"Well," Fire Bolt said, "you don't."

Copper Finish looked back at his friend and was a little offended.

"Really?" Copper Finish said, "Why is it a bad thing, huh?"

Fire Bolt didn't want to upset his friend, but he knew what he would say next, wasn't very nice.

"Coppa," Fire Bolt said, "think about it, you only met her twice, you don't have much experience in romance, not to mention, you're part of the royal staff."

Copper Finish thought for a moment, before he spoke.

"And your point is what?" Copper Finish said, "That I just let my dream not come true? That I keep working and not enjoy life with the pony of my dreams? Is that what you're saying?"

"No!" Fire Bolt replied in a stern tone, "That's not what I'm saying at all."

Copper Finish and Fire Bolt stared at each other, trying not to get angry.

"What I'm saying is," Fire Bolt continued in a low voice, "I don't want you to get upset if this doesn't work out."

"The keyword in that statement is "if," my friend." Copper Finish said.

Just then, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Twilight entered the room. They each had something for Copper Finish. Applejack was carrying an apple pie, that smelled amazing. Rarity had Copper Finish's hat and cape, but the cape had a flaming red rose stitched on it. Rainbow Dash somehow managed to catch a lightening bolt in a jar. Pinkie had a red balloon and a card that said, "Get well soon," which made Copper Finish chuckle. Fluttershy was holding a small silver pin that looked like a spider. Twilight brought a book that was titled: "Building Steam: Going West."

"Thanks, everypony." Copper Finish said. "How did you know I was awake?"

Fluttershy smiled and said, "A little bird told us."

As if on cue, a robin chirped outside the window. Copper Finish looked and everyone laughed.

"Feelin' any better?" Applejack asked as she set the pie down on a table.

"I'm doing alright, you?" Copper Finish said as his face blushed.

Copper Finish caught what he had said and thought, "Of course she's alright, why would you ask if SHE was alright? Idiot."

"Well," Applejack said, "me and the family are mighty grateful for what ya did."

Rarity walked over to the bed and placed his cape and hat on the headboard.

"I hope you like the rose I stitched into the fabric." She said. "As lovely as it was, your cape looked so plain, so I made a small detail."

"No worries," Copper Finish said, "It actually looks better than before, thanks for fixing my hat too."

Rarity nodded and walked back to her friends. Pinkie Pie tied the balloon to the bed and placed the card on the table.

"After you get out of the hospital," Pinkie said with a smile, "I'm going to throw you a hero's party, sound's super, right?"

Before Copper Finish could answer, Twilight spoke.

"Pinkie," Twilight said, "I think he just wants to relax after all this is settled."

"Okay," Pinkie said, still smiling, "I heard Mayor Mare talking about an awards ceremony planned for you anyway. I might be able to do something with that."

This caught Copper Finish's attention, because he never got an award before.

"Well then," Copper Finish said, "that's a first."

Twilight put the book on the bed and smiled.

"I wasn't sure what to give you." She said, "So I got you this book, it's a very good read."

Copper Finish picked up the book and looked at the cover. It had the illustration of a train going towards a bright orange sunset.

"Believe it or not," Copper Finish said, "I've actually been looking for this book."

"Really?" Twilight said in a joyful tone.

"Yeah," Copper Finish replied, "I like the Building Steam series, they've always got good adventures. I have them all, except this one. Thanks."

"You're welcome." Twilight said.

Fluttershy was the last one with a gift. She slowly made her way to Copper Finish and put the pin on his cape.

"Thank you." Copper Finish said, "It goes well with the rose too."

Fluttershy nodded and went to the back of the group.

Copper Finish looked at Fire Bolt and noticed he never got anything.

As if Fire Bolt knew what he was thinking, said, "I didn't think of anything, so I asked for nothing."

"We weren't sure if you wanted anything either," Twilight said, "so we just brought these anyway."

Fire Bolt smiled, "It feels nice just to help, with or without a reward."

"Well, actually..." Rainbow dash said, "I brought this lightening bolt for you, Fire Bolt."

She hovered over to Fire Bolt and gave him the jar. The lightening flashed and shined brightly. Fire Bolt was caught a little off guard, because he wasn't expecting to get anything.

"Uh, thanks." Fire Bolt said as he took the jar.

"You're very fast." Rainbow dash said, "Maybe later, if you're interested, we can race."

Fire Bolt wasn't sure how to answer and remained silent.

Rainbow Dash, being her competitive self, raised an eyebrow and smiled, "Or are you afraid to lose to a girl?"

Fire Bolt, not one to back down from a challenge, smiled back and said, "Saturday at noon, first one to the Wonderbolt Academy and back."

"You're on." Rainbow Dash said in a confident tone.

For most of the day, they all talked and laughed. Copper Finish could almost feel his strength returning and the pain slowly leave. But he knew he'd have to wait until the doctor said he could go home. One by one the girls left, Applejack was the first to leave the room and Rarity was the last. But before she could leave, Copper Finish motioned for her to stay for a moment longer.

"Bolt," Copper Finish said to his friend, "could you give us a minute or two, I want to talk to Rarity alone."

Fire Bolt nodded and closed the door as he left the room.

"Why do you want to speak to me?" Rarity asked, a little confused.

It took Copper Finish a moment to answer her question.

"I need your help." Copper Finish said in a nervous tone.

"With what?" She asked.

Copper Finish told Rarity everything and she understood what he was saying. However, she was a little confused at the same time.

"It all sounds very sweet, darling." Rarity said after Copper Finish was done, "But why Applejack? I mean, you are from Canterlot and part of the royal staff. High-society and gorgeous décor, what more could a pony ask for?"

Copper Finish sighed and answered, "Life changes, I guess."

"I don't quite understand what you mean." Rarity said.

"I've lived in Canterlot my entire life," Copper Finish replied, "after a while, it got to a point where I thought that I would be stuck in that workshop. Be like a machine and only have one purpose. Then I created this small dream of a simple life away from high-society, with the pony I love."

Copper Finish paused and closed his eyes. Rarity patiently waited for him to continue.

"After I met Applejack and all of you at the Grand Galloping Gala," Copper Finish continued, "I knew that I had met the pony of my dreams."

"Why didn't you walk her to the train station, or say anything?" Rarity asked, burning with curiosity.

Copper Finish opened his eyes and answered in a soft tone, "I was afraid, because I've never felt this way about anypony before and I don't know what to do. That's what I need your help with. So will you?"

Rarity raised an eyebrow and smiled, "After what you did for Sweetie Belle and since you don't seem to be the kind of pony to give up easily, of course I will help you."

Copper Finish felt a little relieved, but he knew that this was something that required a lot of effort on his part.

"Thank you, Rarity." Copper Finish said, "Oh, one more thing, could you keep this between us, please?"

She nodded and left the room, leaving Copper Finish alone with his thoughts.

"Hopefully, this all works out." Copper Finish thought to himself, "But I can't rush this, otherwise she'll think I'm a creep."

After a few minutes of silence, Fire Bolt entered the room with a curious look on his face.

"What were you talking about with Rarity?" He asked.

"I was asking for her help." Copper Finish answered.

Fire Bolt was somewhat confused, but he didn't question it.

"Well," Fire Bolt said, "at least, now, you have a plan."

"Yeah." Copper Finish replied in a relaxed tone.

Before Fire Bolt could say anything else, Copper Finish changed subjects.

"So," Copper Finish said, "you accepted Rainbow Dash's challenge, huh?"

Fire Bolt gave a confident smile and said, "I think I can beat her."

Copper Finish chuckled, "Oh buddy, I've got faith in you, but I think you're getting in over your head here."

"Says the pony who can't even have a full conversation with her friend." Fire Bolt said with a grin.

"Hey," Copper Finish replied in a stern tone, "that's not fair. That's a personal matter, not a competition."

Fire Bolt's grin faded after he heard that. He knew he went out of bounds and spoke without thinking.

"I'm sorry, Coppa." Fire Bolt said, "I guess I got a little caught up in the moment."

Copper Finish took a breathe and smiled, "It's alright, we've all got our moments."

Fire Bolt smiled back, feeling less guilty about his comment.

"Well," Copper Finish said, "what do you say, we have some pie? I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

Fire Bolt agreed and brought the pie over to the bed. He found some trays and cut the pie in half and they ate. After they finished eating, Fire Bolt took the trays and pie tin away. Copper Finish looked outside to see a fantastic sunset. The sky was a bright red and orange with small wisps of clouds. To Copper Finish, it was one of the best sunsets he had ever seen. It made him feel special inside, like he could get out of that bed and start running. But he knew that he would have to wait until he was strong enough. Copper Finish watched as the sun disappeared below the horizon.

Fire Bolt came back, looking a little tired. He walked over to the window and closed the curtain.

"Well," Fire Bolt yawned, "I'm going to find a place to stay the night."

"You're not staying here?" Copper Finish asked, "Why?"

Fire Bolt smiled and said, "Since you're feeling better, I think it would be best for you to have a quiet night."

Copper Finish chuckled, "Yeah, I guess you're right, since you snore a lot."

Fire Bolt didn't say anything, the only thing he did was smile and nod his head.

"I'm gonna go," Fire Bolt said, "I'll see you later."

"Oh, before I forget," Copper Finish said, "could you let Princess Celestia know about what's going on?"

"Already done, Twilight already got Spike to send a letter." Fire Bolt said in a reassuring tone, "I'll send her another in the morning."

"Good." Copper Finish said with a relaxed tone again.

After Fire Bolt left, Copper Finish laid in the bed thinking about the best way to get Applejack's attention.

"Maybe I could send her some flowers." He thought, "No, that's too much and too soon."

He continued, "What if I helped around her farm. No, she's smart, she'll catch on quick."

Ideas flooded into Copper Finish's mind. But none off them sounded like they would work. He stayed awake for a while, before he started to feel tired.

"Hopefully, Rarity will be able to help." Copper Finish said as he drifted to sleep.


The sun had disappeared completely as Fire Bolt left the hospital and wandered through the town, he couldn't stop thinking about what Copper Finish had said.

"Maybe," Fire Bolt said to himself, "I shouldn't have been so negative. Maybe Coppa might actually get Applejack to like him."

Fire Bolt didn't notice that someone was watching him.

"Well, that's interesting to hear, Fire Bolt." A familiar voice said, "Care to say anything else?"

Fire Bolt stopped and looked to see who was around, but he couldn't see anyone.

"Who's there?" Fire Bolt asked as he looked for the voice, "Where are you?"

"Why don't you try looking up?" The voice said.

Fire Bolt did what he was asked and looked up. Hovering over one of the buildings, in front of the moon, was Rainbow Dash. She was looking directly at Fire Bolt with a smug grin on her face.

"Let's pretend you didn't hear that and go our separate ways." Fire Bolt said, feeling a little ashamed for not being quiet.

He started to walk away, until Rainbow Dash landed in front of him, blocking his path.

"Where do you think you're going?" She said still grinning. "And what's this about Copper getting Applejack to like him?"

Fire Bolt, feeling cornered, only answered the first question, "I'm trying to find a place to sleep for the night. Now, if you'll excuse me."

He tried walking around her, but Rainbow Dash stepped in front of him again.

"Hang on," Rainbow Dash said, "you didn't answer my second question."

"If you want to know so badly," Fire Bolt said as his face changed from shame to confidence, "then you'll have to catch me."

In that same moment, Fire Bolt spread his wings and took off with great speed. Rainbow Dash took off just as fast and started chasing the stallion through the night sky. She quickly caught up to him, however. Fire Bolt flapped his wings as hard as he could, but Rainbow Dash kept pace. Then Fire Bolt had an idea, he started to pitch and roll as he went into a dive. He folded in his wings and started using gravity to his advantage.

"What's he doing?" Rainbow Dash thought as she followed him.

Fire Bolt dived for several seconds before opening his wings again. Just in time to stop himself from hitting the ground. Instead, Fire Bolt flew just five feet above the ground, using the speed he built in the dive. Rainbow Dash was impressed, but didn't stop chasing him. As Fire Bolt raced above the ground, the grass parted and bent. He flew with aggression and skill, clearly he wasn't just a metal worker.

"You won't give up, will you?" Fire Bolt called.

But there was no answer. Fire Bolt slowed to a stop and landed. He looked around to see if he had gotten away.

"Phew." Fire Bolt sighed in relief, "That was close. Now I'm re-OOF!"

Before Fire Bolt could finish his sentence, Rainbow Dash tackled and pinned him to the ground.

"Caught you." She said as she looked down at him, "Now, talk."

"Fine," Fire Bolt sighed, "deal's a deal."

As Fire Bolt spilled the beans, Rainbow Dash stayed focused on her catch. But she didn't completely understand what Fire Bolt was telling her.

"So," Rainbow Dash said in a confused tone, "your friend is in love with my friend, but she doesn't notice, right?"

"Yeah," Fire Bolt said, "that's about it."

"And how is he going to get her to notice him?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I've got no idea," Fire Bolt answered, "but he asked for Rarity's help. Now, can you get off me, please?"

"Oh, right." Rainbow Dash said.

She had almost forgotten that she still had him on the ground. She stepped off to the side and helped Fire Bolt to his hooves.

"Why would Copper ask for Rarity's help?" Rainbow Dash asked after Fire Bolt was back on his hooves.

"Don't know." Fire Bolt said as he dusted himself off, "What I do know is, Coppa won't give up easily. When that pony sets his mind to something, nothing can stop him."

"Good to know that's a common thing." Rainbow Dash said with a smile.

Fire Bolt yawned and spread his wings, but before he could take off again, Rainbow Dash made him an offer.

"Wait a minute," Rainbow Dash said, "would you like to spend the night at my place?"

Fire Bolt wasn't sure about that, "You don't mind a complete stranger at your house?"

Rainbow Dash thought for a moment before answering him.

"Well," she said, "I could leave you wandering aimlessly through town, again. But, what good is that? Plus, my place is close by."

Fire Bolt thought for a moment and said, "Alright then, lead the way."

Rainbow Dash spread her wings and took off, Fire Bolt followed close behind. As they flew, Fire Bolt realized that they weren't going toward Ponyville.

"Hey," Fire Bolt said, "where are we going?"

"I told you," Rainbow Dash said, "we're going to my place."

Fire Bolt was a little confused, "But I thought you lived in Ponyville."

"I live in a cloud house," she said, "that circles the outskirts."

"Oh, okay then." Fire Bolt said.

Shortly after, the cloud house came into view. Fire Bolt was impressed, because he had never seen anything like it, outside of Cloudsdale. They approached the front porch and landed. Rainbow Dash opened the door and motioned for Fire Bolt to come inside. He accepted her invitation and entered. It looked smaller on the inside, than he expected.

"How did you manage to get a cloud house, this close to the ground?" Fire Bolt asked.

"I built it," Rainbow Dash answered with pride, "using some clouds I squished together."

"Very cool." Fire Bolt said with amazement.

"Thanks." Rainbow Dash said.

Before Fire Bolt could say anything else, Rainbow Dash yawned and stretched out her wings.

"Now," she said, "the guest room is upstairs, second door, right side. If you're hungry, kitchen's down the hall, bathroom is down that way, also. But it's the first door, on the left."

"Alright, thanks." Fire Bolt said.

"Any questions." Rainbow dash said mid yawn.

"No, I'm good." Fire Bolt said in a low, tired voice.

"Good, I like simple house guests." Rainbow Dash said as she turned and flew up to her room. "Good night."

"Good night." Fire Bolt said as he made his way towards the guest room.

He entered the room and found a small bed, a bookshelf, and closet made out of fluffy clouds. Fire Bolt made his way to the bed and laid down. It was the softest surface he had ever been on and it felt very nice.

"This is going to be the best sleep, ever." Fire Bolt thought to himself as he slowly drifted to sleep.