• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,918 Views, 10 Comments

Just a Sunset Away - Cameron Nightshade



Sunset Shimmer never really missed her home back in Canterlot. But now, she is, and is ready to go back home.

  • ...
5
 10
 1,918

Returning Home

6 years.

It had been six years since Sunset Shimmer passed through the portal into the human world of Equestria.

It had been six years since Sunset Shimmer saw, or even talked to Princess Celestia.

Six years since Sunset Shimmer abandoned her studies.

Sunset looked at the calendar hanging up on her bedroom wall. She and the rest of the human 5 had graduated two years prior, and had set off to achieve their dreams.

Sunset had decided to stay in Canterlot, on the off chance that Princess Twilight decided to pass through the portal again or if she herself wanted to go back to Equestria.

The fire-haired girl had never wanted to go back to Equestria. Until a few days ago. She never really missed Equestria’s Canterlot. She hadn’t made friends there, she was only there to study magic under Princess Celestia. Sunset wasn’t even born in Canterlot. Manehatten was her true home.

Sunset looked around her near empty apartment. She wasn’t a huge fan of possessions, so her apartment was desolate. She walked out of her room and sat in the living room, with six pieces of paper, six envelopes, and one pen. She began writing.

Dear Fluttershy,

Thank you for letting be a part of your amazing group. Without you, and the rest of our friends, I would not have learned what magic friendship can actually hold. I would have kept terrorising the humans in our school. But you five showed me something that I hadn’t experienced. Friendship. So I thank you for that, Fluttershy.

I am writing to tell you that I am going back to my home - Equestria. I miss it dearly, and want to become a student under Princess Celestia once more. I no longer care if I will become a Princess in that world or not, I just want to learn magic again.

It has been six long years since I have spent any considerable amount of time back home.

I promise I will come back to visit this world very often.

So thank you, Fluttershy. For everything that you have done for me.

Love,

Sunset Shimmer

Dated: August 21, 2015.



Sunset repeated this letter a couple more times, and sealed them in their respective envelopes. She turned the light off in her apartment and walked downstairs to the lobby.

“How may I help you, Sunset?” the clerk at the front desk asked sweetly.

“Hey, Berry Punch. I was wondering if you could send these letters out for me?” Sunset asked, handing the woman the envelopes.

Berry Punch grabbed them and put them in a bin beneath the desk. “Of course. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“Yes, actually. Can you take my name off of my apartment? I’m moving,” Sunset responded.

Berry Punch nodded and pulled up Sunset’s apartment number on the computer. “Where are you moving to, if I may ask?” Berry asked as she filled in the things needed.

“Back home. I haven’t been there in a few years, and I think it’s time that I return,” Sunset mentioned. “I’m sure my family is missing me.”

“Well, have fun! Okay, your name is no longer on the apartment. I hope you have a marvelous day!” Berry Punch beamed.

“And to you,” Sunset responded, turning on her heel and walking out the door.

It was only a 45 minute walk to Canterlot High School. Sunset Shimmer took all the time she needed, stopping to take last looks at everything she passed. She wasn’t quite sure when she would return, or if she would return at all. She knew she told her friends she would return, but if she was accepted as Princess Celestia’s apprentice again, she may not have time to visit very often.

As Sunset approached the portal to get back to her home, she looked back at the high school that she had destroyed only a few years prior. Memories flooded back to her as she remembered the hell that she put the students of Canterlot High through.

However, she was also greeted with the memories of graduating the top of her class. Even though the first two years that she was at the school entailed her bullying students into submission, she took her studies very seriously. Graduating as valedictorian granted her the happiness that she desired so much.

She remembered being welcomed into the amazing group of Twilight’s friends. She never imagined she would ever be able to make friends, no matter where she went.

Sunset turned around and looked at the statue where the portal was held. She reached out a hand and touched the portal, not surprised by the lack of solidity of the wall.

“Going back?” a voice said.

Sunset Shimmer quickly turned around. “Princess- er - Principal Celestia!” she exclaimed.

“Do not worry, Sunset. I’m not here to yell at you for being on school grounds,” Celestia chuckled.

Senior year, Sunset told Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna everything. They were tempted to not believe her, but after the fiasco at the Fall Formal, they believed her story.

“I just really miss home. I miss Princess Celestia. I miss being her student and learning all I can about magic. The magic in this world makes no sense. I couldn’t prove why my friends would suddenly change form when they would play music, and that was so frustrating to me,” Sunset explained.

“I was never one to not understand something. It would always make sense to me. Granted, I had access to a huge library and magic. Here, I don’t have the resources I had back home.”

Principal Celestia walked forward and laid a hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “You need to do what you think is right. Who knows, maybe back home, you will learn some things about the magic in this world,” Celestia calmly said.

Sunset laughed. “Sadly, you are wrong at that. I tried to find all the information that I could about this world back when I was Princess Celestia’s student. There really isn’t much to tell. The Princess’s kept the mirror locked up and away from everyone. They had never crossed through the mirror. The first one’s sent through were the Sirens. Then me.”

“Well, then I hope that you have a great time back home. And know that you are always welcome here,” Principal Celestia comforted.

Sunset nodded her head and turned back to the portal. She reached out, hoping that she wasn’t making a terrible mistake. She sent the rest of her body through, and felt the pulling of the portal on her sides. Her DNA changed rapidly, and her form changed as well.

The next thing Sunset knew, she was laying on the floor of a castle with seven pairs of eyes looking at her. Sunset got up, and looked around. “Uh, hey, Twilight,” she laughed.