• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,539 Views, 13 Comments

A Scientific Breakthrough - Eruedraieth



Earth is dying. A scientist finds a solution allowing world travel, in search for a new habitable planet. He ends up in a world that is strangely familiar...

  • ...
6
 13
 1,539

Chapter 2 - A new world...

I laid on the ground, having trouble opening my eyes. I was in pain due to a massive splitting headache, but atleast I heard myself moaning in pain. After what had seemed like a century of nothing I was finally able to hear and smell again, but my sight didn't want to cooperate. While listening closely, I heard footsteps approaching me, or what seemed like footsteps. I was not sure what kind of steps it were, but they were approaching my body. I heard a scream, and after that more rushed steps towards me. I heard a female voice call "Are you okay?", but all I was able to do was slightly nod my head.

I attempted not to move my head too much in order to keep the pain to a minimum, but my helper did not seem to acknowledge this and tried to move my head. I grumbled in pain. "Please, do not move my head too much, I have a splitting headache and I can't seem to get my eyes opened to look at you." I had a slight feeling I knew who my saviour was...

I heard a slight twinkling noise, and I felt my headache disappearing slightly, allowing me to move my head. "Thanks, whatever you did to me. I still can't seem to open my eyes, however. They feel as if they are glued shut." I felt a large surface touching my eyes, after which I was able to finally open my eyes.

My saviour was Twilight sparkle, a pony from My little pony: Friendship is magic. I have watched the tv show and read a few fanfiction stories of it, so I was known with the concept. "You seem to be okay now, can you stand on your own?"

"I should be fine, give me a second." I proceeded to use my hands to support me while I pulled my body off the ground.

After nearly falling over, I quickly regained my bearings and was able to stand on my own. Twilight eyed me suspiciously. In an attempt to become friendly with me, she says: "Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle, what is yours?"

"I know who you are, and my name is Joshua, master scientist and pioneer in discovering world-travel."

Twilight got very excited, and shouts:"You have travelled across worlds!? How?"

"It's quite a long story, one which I'd rather not explain out here." I responded.

I looked at my surroundings, and found out I was located on top of a hill, near what seemed to be a large town with a bell tower. "May I ask where I'm currently at?"

"You sure may, you are on top of a hill close to Ponyville, my place of residence. I just happened to walk this way to collect some ingredients for a stew which only happen to be here, when I came across your seemingly lifeless body. I am glad this is not the case, however." I just nodded, and continued looking at my surroundings, when I noticed I was still wearing my labcoat and safety glasses. I took off my glasses and labcoat, and folded the labcoat for easier carrying. "My, you are slim. I am sorry if this offends you in any way, but I cant help but notice how slim you are."

"Well, you do not offend me with calling me slim, because I have been slim my entire life. Somehow my digestive system refuses to allow me to put on weight, much to the annoyance of members of my family." When I mentioned my family, I felt a pang of guilt wash over me.

Twilight noticed this and proceeded to ask: "What's wrong?"

"Well, I kind of left my family without saying the necessary goodbyes in case I couldn't return. I didn't expect the formula to work, so I kind of left without saying anything. I hope I can return at some point to tell them of my discovery." After saying that, I noticed Twilight got a saddened look. "Oh I'm so sorry, I wasn't intending on leaving forever. This is a new world after all, and I wish to fully explore it before I report anything."

Twilight now had more of a frightened look. "Please don't report anything to your other humans, I don't want Equestria to be overrun by humans, it would upset the balance of this world."

"How did you know I am a human? I doubt you've seen more of my kind around here." I asked questioningly

"Well, we did actually see one more creature like you appear here before. I don't know where she is now, but she appeared on the exact same spot as you did, about a day ago. Somehow, I felt that calling you two humans was a fitting description, for some reason." she explained.

"I assume you were the one to save her too, right?" I asked

Twilight sighed. "If only. If it was me who was her first impression of this world, I don't think she would've ran away scared. I was very antisocial before coming to Ponyville, but after meeting the friends I have now I have become very social and accepting of strangers".

I was confused by this. "So you were not the one to help her... What happened to her to have caused her to run away like that?"

"I honestly do not know, all I know is that i heard someone screaming and when I came over to this hill I saw her running away from.. nothing, it seemed. I think she saw some sort of ghost or something, because what scared her wasn't there when I saw her running" Twilight explained.

"Hm, that is bizarre. No matter, I will try and find her later. First things first, I'm starving!" I remarked

Twilight grinned at my sudden notion of hunger, and beckoned me to follow her. We walked into Ponyville, where I got a lot of confused and scared looks thrown my way. "I really don't like the fact that all of these ponies are scared of me. I mean, i'm walking along with the Element of Magic and they have yet to see me cause any harm to you."

"Well, the ponies around here are easily frightened, just don't pay too much attention to it and they will warm up to you staying here just fine." That eased my mind a bit, but I was still annoyed at the scared faces of the ponies we crossed paths with.

Eventually we reached the Golden Oak Library, Twilight's place of residence. I was glad to finally be inside and not have ponies staring at me wherever I go. I placed my labcoat and glasses onto a nearby table and proceeded to look at my surroundings. There were books... Lots of books... I didn't mind seeing so many books because I've been in libraries before, but the amount of knowledge stored here was incredible, to say the least. "I assume you have nearly everything about your world situated inside this library, am I correct?" I asked cautiously.

"You would be nearly correct in that assumption. Aside from a few minor books, I have everything here. Some even say my library rivals the one located in Canterlot!"

"Ah, Canterlot. I would like to visit that some time. And the princesses too, ofcourse. They will probably be quite curious as to why the Element of Magic decided to give shelter to a human, if you don't mind, that is."

"I can arrange that meeting in a short time, I just need to call Spike first to send a letter. Spike! I need you to write a letter, and meet someone!" Twilight shouted. "And you are welcome to stay here as long as you like." she added.

I heard steps coming from downstairs, and a few seconds later a small dragon was eyeing me cautiously. "Um, Twilight? Why is there a bipedal creature in our library and why are you not scared?"

"Oh silly Spike, he won't harm us. Atleast, not from what I currently know from him" she asked, looking over at me with a suspicious gaze.

"Harming my hosts is the last thing on my mind." I said.

"What happened to Twilight? She doesn't usually act this way towards complete strangers she just met." Spike asked.

"I have not done anything other than placing my labcoat and safety glasses onto the table over there - I pointed at the table which had my coat and glasses - and standing here talking to Twilight and you".
My stomach decided this was a good moment to let itself be heard, which caused Twilight to shoot up. "Spike, could you prepare some food for us? Our guest is hungry it seems, and I could do with some food too".

"Do I really have to make food for a stranger?". He seemed rather upset about it.

"Yes Spike, he is not a stranger to me, and he's been friendly to me since I rescued him".

"Wait, you rescued him? From what?" Twilight proceeded to explain the story of how she met me in minor detail, which clarified a lot of things for Spike, by the way he reacted to it. Spike then headed to the kitchen to prepare us some food, while I took a seat in a nearby chair. The chair wasn't comfortable in the least for me, but I wouldn't dare blame my host. After all, they probably never had to deal with anyone larger than Big Macintosh, and I doubted that he ever visited the library enough to cause Twilight to get special seating for him.

Twilight used this moment to try and figure out where I came from and how I got here, which I explained in short detail. She was amazed by the amount of advanced machines I had in my lab which I used during creation of the formula, and I noticed she was thinking of something. "What are you thinking of?"

She replied with"If what you say is true, and I'm guessing it is, then we could probably recreate the formula and get you home so your family knows where you went, if it works in that way. I would like it if you came back to us, though. This world needs some spice to it, and you are just the answer to that".

A moment later, Spike arrived carrying two plates with sandwiches on them. I was too hungry to care about what was on the sandwich, and proceeded to ravenously eat my meal, much to the dismay of the pony and dragon in the room. "Do you really have to eat that savagely?" Twilight remarked.

"Well, when you feel like you have not eaten in days, hunger can do this to you. I have no idea how long I was out for, or how long it took me to travel from Earth to Terra. I do know that I was hungry just a moment ago, and that hunger seems to be sated. Thank you, Spike, for making such a lovely meal". The dragon happily accepted my praise, and proceeded to walk down the stairs to where I assumed his room was.

"So, I'm guessing you are either tired right now or wish to find out more about this world, am I correct?" Twilight stated.

"The latter would be correct. I know that the Elements of Harmony, you included ofcourse, are quite desirable ponies to be around, and I would like to meet them if possible."

"Well, Rarity is off on a trip to Canterlot to promote her clothing line, and Applejack is probably extremely busy with applebucking, so that leaves Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy. Who do you want to visit first?"

"I've always liked to meet Rainbow Dash in person, and knowing that her schedule with the weatherteam can be annoying at times, I think we should go visit her first. I do hope I won't get stared at too much though, I'd like to stay above ground if possible".

She laughed at this. "Don't be silly, the ponies here are not going to hurt you. They just stare at you because you are something they have never seen, which frightens them. They will stop eventually if they see you around often enough". She then got out of the chair and walked towards the door. "You coming?".

"I can just leave my labcoat and glasses over there, right? Nothing will happen to them while we are gone?" I asked worriedly.

"I'll mark the library as closed for now, so it should be fine".

I stepped outside, while Twilight hung a sign on the door saying "CLOSED". What I didn't know, however, was that my labcoat and glasses would have been changed dramatically when I returned...

We walked towards Rainbow Dash's cloud home, while recieving numerous frightened stares yet again. "I am going to make sure that everyone in this town is going to like me, one way or another".

"Everypony, is the correct term you should use there. If you want to proceed with that 'liking thing' of yours, that is" Twilight snapped back.

"Oh yeah, right. We are in Equestria, and everyone should be everypony, ofcourse. Got it!".

We arrived near a hill close to Rainbow Dash's home. I decided to just stand around and wait awkwardly while Twilight called for Rainbow Dash. A moment later, I saw a raimbow-hued mane belonging to a cyan pegasus peek over the edge of the cloud. "Heya Twilight, who's accompanying you?"
She proceeded to float down towards us, making sure to keep me in her view at all times. "This is Joshua. He is a human from a world called Earth who just happened to arrive on our planet in a mildly odd fashion, as in appearing out of thin air. I helped him and offered him shelter for the time being."

"Is that so? She eyed me suspiciously. "Well, if you are friends with Twilight already, that stamps you as a friend in my books. Name's Rainbow Dash, pleased to meet you".

"Im glad that not everypony is frightened around me. Would've been a lot harder to survive on this planet if everyone was so damn afraid of me all the time. I guess these don't help the situation either" I pointed at my canines, showing the sharp teeth to the two mares.

"There's more to this planet than just ponies" Twilight stated.

"What brings you to the fastest and most awesomest flier in all of Equestria today?". Rainbow patted her shoulder in praise.

"Surely you are the fastest and awesomest flier in all of Terra, right?" Rainbow dash blushed at this comment.

"Don't make her head any bigger than it already is, it might explode soon" Twilight grinned.

"Oh, I don't mean to brag, but I did get first place in The Best Young flyer Competition after all. Which means I deserve the praise!"

"Okay, enough already miss Wonderbolt. We were just here to allow you to meet Joshua here, and he seemed excited to meet you too".

"Well it's been nice meeting you, but I have to go to a weatherteam meeting in Cloudesdale now, so I guess I'll see you around?" Rainbow asked cheerfully.

"Oh don't worry, you will definitely see me around, Dash". This caused the mare to blush. "Wow, I've managed to make you blush in a single visit. Go to the meeting quickly before you change your mind and decide to stay here with me". She nodded, and quickly flew away.

"Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to make Dash blush like that, but you managed to do it on your first visit. Good job! You will most definitely feel at home here."

Home. Again, a pang of guilt slapped my face as I thought of my family. "I made you think about your family again didn't I..." she responded sadly.

"Well, it's not like it is going to change very soon, so I guess I will have to deal with it for now". Without saying another word, we headed back to the library, as it was nearly evening already.

When Twilight opened the door, she jumped up in shock. "You placed your labcoat and glasses on that table there, right? You might want to see what happened to them". Hearing this, I quickly shot inside to look at my coat and glasses. What I found, was rather unsettling.

My glasses had vanished completely, and from what it seemed my coat had turned into a black leather outfit complete with hood and belt. What was most unsettling, however, was the fact that the belt had a pouch on it, containing what seemed to be something made out of metal. I opened the pouch to find a very polished and shining steel dagger. I placed the dagger on the table and examined the belt further, finding another pouch containing a second dagger.

"Hm, it seems that who or whatever happened to my coat decided that I should be some kind of assassin. I don't see why, though. Equestria is mostly a peaceful place, right?"

Twilight, still shocked from seeing the daggers, stuttered: "T-There are some ponies and members of other races in T-Terra which do not take a liking to just living in h-harmony..."

"Please, don't be afraid. I'm not ever going to use these daggers on you or any of your friends. I doubt i'm even going to use them at all, honestly. I still don't see how a peaceful place like this has any enemies." I exclaimed.

"Surely there must be a reason as to why your coat and glasses transformed into an assassins outfit, though? I think we should contact Celestia to see what she knows about this.. Darn, I just remembered I completely forgot to send a letter earlier explaining you. Spike! Please send a letter to Celestia asking her for a meeting, and leave out the details please."

Spike proceeded to take out a quill and a piece of paper, and started writing what Twilight cited. When Twilight was done speaking, Spike rolled up the parchment and torched it, sending magical dust out of the window, towards Canterlot and the princess. Just a moment later Spike burped up a letter with a royal sign. Twilight levitated the letter towards her, opened it and started reading it. "She says she can come right now.

She asked us to meet her at the hill I rescued you on, as to avoid any attention." "Ha, that's funny. She decided to meet us at the place where I appeared in this world, without knowing that happened."

I quickly grabbed the new assassin outfit and daggers, and followed Twilight out of the library, towards the hill. When we arrived, there was nopony to be seen. I looked at Twilight, slightly confused. Not a moment later, however, Celestia appeared in a bright flash in front of us. "Why hello Twilight, what-" This was when she saw me.

She tensed immediatly, but Twilight quickly jumped in and said: "Don't worry, he won't harm us. He is actually the reason I called for you."

"Is that so? Well, I've yet to see one of your kind. I guess I have now. What seems to be the problem?"

Twilight explained the story of how she rescued me, the visit to Rainbow Dash, and the return to find out that my labcoat and glasses had turned into an assassins outfit, complete with daggers and hood.

"Hmm, that is rather weird indeed. I didn't catch your name, by the way?"

"My name is Joshua, pleased to meet you Princess Celestia".

"Please, just call me Celestia. Seeing you this close to Twilight and after hearing her story, you are a friend in my eyes. Now, for the matter at hand, though. It seems that Terra herself has responded to your being here, and decided to subtly give you a new role in this world."

What happened next was the weirdest thing in the world. Lightning started to arc between my hands. Frightened, i dropped the outfit and stared at the lightning bouncing between my hands, frantically trying to put a stop to it. "Stop! Calm down! You are only making it worse by being scared at this situation!" Celestia shouted. I calmed down after hearing her shout like that, and indeed, the lightning stopped.

"Well well well, not only has Terra given you a new role, your body seems to have adapted to allow the use of magic aswell. Primal magic, even, which hasn't been seen around in ages" Celestia commented.

"I am unsure as to why Terra decided it would be a good idea to make me an assassin or a magic user, seeing as I am a complete stranger to this world" I pointed out.

"After what you've done so far, Terra seemed to know that your intentions are pure, and you would only put these to a good cause. I don't see any reason to argue with that reasoning, nor does there have to be one, am I right?"

"Well, from the numerous computer games I've played, I always opted for a stealthy approach. And whenever I had to decide between a violent decision and a peaceful one, I would always opt for the peaceful method. This is also true in real life, where I prefer to handle things peacefully instead of resorting to violence." I explained.

This seemed to cause a sudden jolt of clarity on Celestia's side, because she took a same tone as Twilight when she discovered I was from another planet. "You must be the long-forgotten Element of the Assassin! I've heard rumours of this Element existing, but it was never confirmed to be true.. I guess your role has been defined then. Come see me tomorrow at Canterlot along with Twilight, I would like to discuss this matter further with you, if you don't mind".

I nodded in approval, and Celestia dissapeared in a bright flash. "Well, I guess i'm not going to be going home soon anytime, so I guess I will call this world home, for now. Untill the need arrives for me to return to Earth, that is. Shall we return to the library, and get some rest? I am mighty tired after all that happened this day".

Twilight was still seemingly amazed by all that happened, but managed to compose herself and stammered out a simple "Sure" before turning around and heading towards the library.

There was nopony around at this time of day, which I was thankful for. I silently thanked Princess Luna for her night, which Twilight seemed to have heard. "You do know she can't hear you, right?"

"Well, she might have, considering that I'm able to use magic and all. Maybe I magically transferred my message to-"

I was cut off mid-sentence by a strange voice in my head, asking: "Who is this, and what is thy meaning and methods of contacting me? I tried using the same method I used before to talk to the voice in my head.

"Well, I am new to this world. My name is Joshua, molecular scientist, and friend of Twilight Sparkle. I just wanted to thank you for the night, but I didn't realize that my magic would actually transfer my message to you. My apologies for that. Your sister, Celestia, has more information on me. Ask her about it, and you will certainly know more". After that, the voice stayed silent, to which I assumed Luna was heading to Celestia to talk to her right now.

"You know, you looked kinda weird with whatever you were doing back there".

"I guess I made a lot of weird and funny faces or something?"

"No, not at all actually. You just stood there with a look of deep thought on your face. I was afraid something bad happened to you or something. What actually happened, anyway?"

"Luna seemed to have recieved my silent message, and replied rather angrily. Don't ask me how" I cut Twilight off before she tried asking it. "Let's just head back to the library now and get some well earned rest, and figure out what to do tomorrow." She nodded, and we arrived at the library not a moment later.

Spike was nowhere to be seen, which I was rather happy with. I didn't want to have to deal with someone else asking what happened and why right now, so I just asked Twilight where the bedrooms were. "I don't usually have visitors, so I don't have a guest room or something. You can sleep in my room though!"

"But where will you sleep, then?" I asked quizzically.

"In the same room, ofcourse" she explained.

"Umm, I don't know how that is settled here in Equestria, but usually sleeping in the same room as someone else usually involves a romantic gesture, especially when that someone else is female".

She giggled, and explained it: "Don't worry. Unless I specifically asked for you to have a romantic gesture, as you called it, sleeping with someone else doesn't mean anything here."

"Alright, it's okay then I guess?" I said, noticing a spare bed in the corner.

I wished Twilight good night, and went off to the land of dreams.