• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 1,538 Views, 13 Comments

A Scientific Breakthrough - Eruedraieth



Earth is dying. A scientist finds a solution allowing world travel, in search for a new habitable planet. He ends up in a world that is strangely familiar...

  • ...
6
 13
 1,538

Chapter 1 - Revelation

Author's Note:

Hello readers,

This is the first ever story i've written. Which means that this story will be far from perfect.
Any feedback or ideas for future chapters is gladly appreciated. If you do dislike the story, atleast have the guts to tell me why in the comments section.

This story will contain a bit of a personal touch, in that the main character (me) will be depicted roughly here and there. Do expect a few random things, quirks, and strange remarks. Some of these things actually reflect onto me and things I would do.

Thank you for reading, and enjoy!

-EDIT: This chapter has been modified from the original.
-EDIT3: FORGET EDIT 2, Chapter 14 onward have been moved to a new sequel!

Hello, my name is Joshua, and I am a molecular scientist by trade. I study molecules in order to design new molecules or improve upon existing ones by altering their structure, adding other atoms etc. The molecules can then be used in practical applications like armour, clothing, apparatus, or anything you can think of.

Lately, after watching the news for a couple of days, I noticed a headline popping up several times: "World is at an end, scientists and physicists alike are giving their all to discover methods of leaving Earth in order to find new habitable planets." This annoyed me deeply, because during my college I put a lot of research into green, sustainable energies in order to improve our current world. And those skills would all be pointless now..

The lab I worked in was far from standard. My employer gave me my very own lab to manage, after seeing how well I did when I worked at the companies' main lab. This was a rather fast transition, as I had only worked at the main lab for about 3 to 4 years. Now, at the age of 27, I managed a lab containing state of the art machines and technology to provide me with possibilities for research and development.

I have owned my own lab for over a year now, and during that year I hired a few assistants in order to help me with more advanced methods and general tasks.

Eventually, one of my assistants heard rumours of a solution called "Liquid Rainbow". She passed this on to me, ofcourse, knowing that we tried to put as much focus into discovering methods for world-travel like all the other scientists were. After studying these rumours, they were indeed true. The liquid solution was made out of 4 elements, which were relatively hard to get to a liquid state and after that combine into a singular solution. This did not bother me, however, because the technology in this lab is too advanced to let simple problems like transforming gaseous substances into liquids be a nuisance.

Supposedly, the solution would allow travel to a land called Equestria. Having seen the tv-series, I know what would be in Equestria: Talking ponies capable of casting magic spells. However, I did not believe this could be possible. It was worth a try, anyway.

My assistants Cheryl and Michelle, who were my assistants for today, helped me create the setup for transforming the 4 elements and combine them afterwards. "I sure hope this will work, I am interested to find out how a new world would look like. Who knows what we'll find?" Cheryl exclaimed.

"Don't get your hopes up yet, we don't even know for sure if this will work properly. Keep a journal open and write down every step we do, this might be the breakthrough of the century." Michelle grabbed a journal from one of the nearby tables and opened it, writing down the requirements for this particular experiment. "If something happens don't, and I repeat, don"t attempt to help me in any way. The effects could be contagious."

They both nodded, and I proceeded to melt the phosporus and make a liquid out of it. Once this was done, I continued with condensing the oxygen for the second liquid. Next up, the condensation of nitrogen, which went flawlessly. And the last to-be-liquid, Yttrium, which had to be melted down under very high temperature. This had to be done carefully, because the molten metal alone was enough to burn through everything.

After melting the yttrium, Cheryl handed me a heat-resistant test tube, and allowed me to pour the liquids in order of phosporus, oxygen, nitrogen and yttrium into the tube. After combining the liquids, the resulting solution was looking very odd, to say the least. It had every colour of the rainbow in it, hence the name "Liquid rainbow".

The tube started shaking, and all of us ducked behind cover in wait for an explosion of some sorts. After a few minutes of non-stop shaking, the solution stopped.

"Would you look at that, it worked! Or atleast, I hope it did!" I said.

"We nearly blew up the lab, but the solution seems stable now. Shall we take a closer look?" said Michelle.

I cautiously approached the solution in case it decided to start shaking again, and grabbed the tube. I looked intensely at the liquid, and suddenly the entire solution became a yellow colour. We saw words beginning to form in red: "Drink me..."

I was unsure what to do, we had combined 4 slightly dangerous elements together and now the solution itself wanted one of us to take a sip. Another word began to form:" I am not", and after that, "Dangerous".

"Well, I think the liquid is trying to encourage us to drink it. I will do the honours, you two stay here and document everything that happened and what is about to happen." I offered.

"But what if you get hurt?? I can't just stand by and not help you when you start choking on your own fluids!" Michelle exclaimed.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine. The solution said it was not dangerous, right? So what is the worst that could happen to me apart from actually travelling to a different world? Not that it was proven to work." I took the tube. "In the name of science!" I said as I took a sip.

What happened afterwards, was unexplainable. I started seeing all the colours of the rainbow, and when looking at my assistants, found them to be changing colours constantly. It looked like a really bad acid trip, having studied drug effects on humans for a small time.

After a few seconds, however, my vision went black, and from what I thought had happened, I had collapsed to the floor.

The people in the room witnessed my body dissapearing into thin air. Or did they?