• Published 20th Aug 2015
  • 549 Views, 11 Comments

The Redemption of a Showstopper - Nazoult98



The Great and Powerful Trixie grapples with her past and tries to earn a shot at redemption.

  • ...
2
 11
 549

The Blue Moon and the Crimson Sunset

Chapter 5
The Blue Moon and the Crimson Sunset

For the next six years, Trixie found herself living on the streets. The only money she had to her name was whatever she could scrape together from odd jobs she did here and there. She felt alone as if the world was closing in around her. The only thing that kept her going was a faint hope that things would get better. Of course, things never seemed to do so. That was until that one faithful in her junior year at Celestia's High School for Gifted Unicorns. It was the day a sunset changed her life.

It was a hot summer morning and the first day of school. Trixie stood in front of the main gate to the school as the summer sun beat down on her. Her legs shook as she looked at all the students having fun on the front lawn. She hoped that she could be that happy one day, but she knew it was probably just a fool's dream. Gathering all the courage she could muster, she entered school grounds and made a dash towards the front doors. Hoping no one saw her, she entered the building. She looked around in awe at the magnificent interior of the school. She had seen it before, but the sight always amazed her. The marble floors shined from their fresh polishing and the chandeliers on the ceiling were breathtaking. She ran her hand against the cool stone wall. She was so focused on the interior of the school that she didn't see a student walk up to her. She did notice, however, when the student bumped her into the wall causing the books to fall from her hands. "Watch where you're going next time," the student said with a sneer, "I guess 'Great and Powerful' doesn't mean 'careful and observant.'" With that, the student walked away. Trixie sank to her knees as tears filled her eyes as they turned towards the floor.

"That was mean," a disembodied voice said as a pair of hands came into view to help pick up her books, "Don't they know that's just a good way to piss people off?" Trixie looked up to see who was talking to her. She found herself looking straight into the aqua blue eyes of a girl her age. The girl had red and yellow hair with her yellow horn sticking out and wore a yellow t-shirt printed with the image of a red sun and an orange miniskirt. "My name's Sunset Shimmer," she said noticing Trixie looking at her, "What's your name?"

"Trixie," Trixie replied standing up, "Thank you for helping Trixie."

"I can't believe you actually talk like that," Sunset Shimmer was saying as they were walking to class, "I always thought they were making it up."

"Do Trixie’s mannerisms bug you?" Trixie asked.

"No," Sunset Shimmer said turning to Trixie, "I think it's kinda cute." Trixie looked away in embarrassment.

"You're just flattering Trixie," Trixie said.

“No I mean it,” Sunset Shimmer said with a smile, “In fact; I would like it if we were friends.”

“Trixie would like that,” she replied.

“Great,” Sunset Shimmer said, “Why don’t you come over to my place this weekend?”

“Sure,” Trixie replied.

Trixie went over to Sunset Shimmer’s that weekend. It was a big house, it had twenty rooms, but Trixie felt comfortable as long as she was with Sunset Shimmer. They stayed up all night talking, joking, and telling stories. Trixie had never felt this close to someone in all her life, except maybe her mother. Sunset Shimmer was the only person who had been nice to her since her mother died. Trixie thought this would go on forever. That changed on one faithful day in November during her senior year.

“Hi,” Trixie said walking up to Sunset Shimmer, “How did you sleep last night?” Sunset Shimmer was looking into locker, it seemed she was looking for something, but she didn’t reply to Trixie. “Sunset,” Trixie said worried, “Is everything all right?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” Sunset Shimmer replied slamming her locker closed.

“It just seems like you’re out of it,” Trixie replied, “I mean, you didn’t reply to my first question.”

“Can you just shut up so I can think?” Sunset Shimmer snapped at her, “I have too much crap to deal with right now.” Tears came to Trixie’s eyes after this comment and she ran off crying. “Dammit,” Sunset Shimmer said as she turned and started walking down the hall.

Trixie only later found out through the school newspaper that Sunset Shimmer had been accepted for personal tutoring by Princess Celestia. After that Trixie remained isolated from the world, she didn’t speak to anyone. “Trixie has always wanted to be a stage performer like her late mother,” Trixie remembered declaring to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer had replied, “Can I see a magic show?” Trixie remembered the applause she had gotten from Sunset Shimmer when she was done.

“Why does this always happen to Trixie?” She asked as she began to cry.