• ...
2
 23
 1,770

...Follow them.

“……” I know I won’t be able to do anything even if I go. But still… I still feel her hoof in mine. I told her we’ll try our best. She shook the hoof I held out. So… “Sheesh, there’s nothing else I can do!!” I’ll be killed if I go up the hill after that giantess. My body trembling from that fact, but I suppress it and run up the slope. “Saber!” I run into the open land and then, the scenery that awaits me there is totally unexpected. Gravestones are flying around. Every time the giantess swings her sword, the heavy gravestones are split in two. In the midst of it… A knight bravely runs through the storm of gravestones. The axe-sword rages around. Gravestones are flung aside. In the chaos, Saber is fighting Berserker with the same… no, with more power than before.

“……” Their positions are reversed here. The advantage belongs to somepony with a small body like Saber. Berserker is hindered by obstacles, and Saber acts as if there’s nothing in her way. I’m sure that a hindrance of this degree is only trivial for Berserker. But it’s more than nothing. It’s only a slight difference, but that slight difference is tipping the scale the other way now…

“This way! You’ll get hit if you’re there!”

“Huh!?” Whoa…!?”

“What are you thinking!? I told you to run away, right!? Or did you not hear me!?” She’s really angry.

“Um… I heard you. But I can’t just run away, right?”

“What!? How could you reach that conclusion!? Can’t you tell that you’ll only be a bother to us since you can’t fight!? It can’t helped if you die trying to make a difference, but it’d be meaningless if you die doing nothing!”

“…?” I don’t know why, but Rarity is seriously angry. Even though I’m getting yelled at, I don’t feel bad for some reason. “Hey, is that something you should get mad about? It shouldn’t matter to you if I die meaninglessly or not.”

“It does matter! I told you I’d let you go for all of today, so it’ll trouble me if you don’t get home safely!”

“……” I’m confused even more now. Rarity sure had a different face on at school.

“Geez. Anyway, you’re not hurt, so run away right now. That Luna mare intends to kill us all.”

“I know that. But I can’t run away. Saber’s fighting, so I can’t run away by myself.”

“That’s a line for somepony who can make a difference. You’ll just die a meaningless death, as you can’t do anything to support her. This is your last warning. Just run away.”

“That can’t be true. There should be something I can do as long as I’m alive. And besides, are you going to ask somepony to do something you can’t do?”

“……” Rarity looks at me with a serious expression. “You’re right. I’m the shameless one for asking you to do something I can’t do.” She looks away. “Well, I don’t think there’s a need to run away. I don’t think Saber will lose now.” Rarity takes a peek from behind the tree. Their battle is continuing without change. Berserker’s attacks smash through empty space and only destroy her surroundings. Between the attacks… Within the swirling whirlwind and flying clods… Within the rain of broken gravestones… Saber rushes in without even dirtying her armor and attacks Berserker.

“……” It is a divine work of utmost excellence. My fear has disappeared, seeing this battle that is totally impossible for mere ponies. Instead, I am fascinated. I could not believe I was in this Harmony Grail War thing, and I also had some uneasiness. But all of it is blown away when I see her. Dancing swords, within the whirlwind of fatal destruction, the knight challenges the enemy without hesitation. Maybe this scene made me accept everything. No matter what may fall upon us in the future… I’m convinced that I will be able to match even a fierce god if I have Saber with me.

“I thought so. It was strange, but she blocked Berserker’s sword on purpose.” Rarity murmurs without emotion.

“Was that to lure Berserker here?”

“Yup. It’s suicidal to fight Berserker in a place without cover. That’s why Saber chose this place as the battleground. She did it naturally, too. She got Berserker away from you, all the while she pretended to be cornered.”

“……” Then… Saber must have determined that this place was a suitable battlefield when we were walking down the hill.

“But you can’t expect backup in a battle like this. Our enemy is a monster that even nullifies Archer’s arrows. Backup was meaningless from the start.” Rarity murmurs as she watches the battle between Saber and Berserker.

“Archer’s arrows…” But those words catch my attention. Archer isn’t here. If he really is an archer, he should not fight hoof-to-hoof, but…

“She got her…!” Rarity stomps her hoof. Just as she said… Saber’s sword must have hit Berserker or she must have lost her stance. Berserker’s body, holding firm until now, loses its balance. The beast lashes out desperately. Saber dodges it by jumping back, and holds her sword with both wings. This is it. As her desperate attack is dodged, Berserker loses her balance even more, and Saber bends her knees to charge in with all her power. Right then… “Archer? What do you mean, get away?” I notice Rarity’s confused voice, and sense an intent to kill aimed from a faraway place.

“……” Behind me. I see the knight in red standing on a rooftop hundreds of meters away, readying his bow. “……” It’s either nausea or a chill. He’s readying a bow. A bow that’s no different from before. It cannot even scratch Berserker, even with a direct hit. So there is no need to feel any threat from it… “……” I feel a chill. What he is readying in his bow is not an “arrow”, but something completely different. And his intent to kill isn’t just directed at Berserker. “Sab…” I act instantly. I…


Bring back Saber.


Call back Saber.