• Published 28th Sep 2015
  • 1,514 Views, 91 Comments

EMPIRE - JackAnarchy



Money. Power. Retribution. Follow the rise of Orion Abrasax, a human in Equestria and heir to a multibillion-bit industrial empire and a disgraced Ex-Captain of the Royal Guard as they embark on a warpath against Equestria's wealthiest.

  • ...
13
 91
 1,514

Season 1, Episode 2: A World On Fire

EMPIRE

Season 1, Episode 2: A World On Fire

“Papa, must I go?” Orion’s breath materialized in the cold evening air as he spoke.

It was the middle of winter, and yet the Crown City Grand Central Station bustled with life from all corners of Equestria. The sporadic sounds of claws and hooves were never-ending, scampering like little mice across the dull emerald-tiled platforms. Sharp whistles of steam screamed into the dusk, followed closely by vaporing clouds of smoke.

Orion tugged on his leather coat, hugging himself to keep warm. The bitter cold seeped through his woolen gloves, numbing his fingers until they felt thick and stiff. In truth, he envied his fellow Equestrians, and how the Maker had blessed them in ways that they remain impervious to the elements.

“Are you afraid, my boy?”

Orion’s dark violet eyes rested on gentle navy-blue unicorn well into his twilight years. He was dressed in a charcoal business suit tailored from the finest vicuna, complimenting his rugged features to a fault.

Orion nodded, earning a smile. “It is quite alright. Fear is but a natural response to change.” Lifting a hoof, he petted the young colt on the head. “In fact, I was too when I was your age.”

“Then, why are you sending me away?” Orion sniffled as he fought through the tears. “Do you not want me anymore?”

Keeping the smile on his muzzle, the old stallion placed a gentle hoof on Orion’s shoulder. “You misunderstand. I am not sending you away.” The sound of his warm, husky voice had always soothed the young colt. “Stalliongrad Academy is the one of the best academies in all the land, and it is there where you will receive the best education Equestria can provide.”

“But Papa, Trottingham is so far away. Why must it be Stalliongrad when there are plenty of other schools here in Canterlot?”

“Because you…” The old stallion poked him gently on tip of his nose. “My boy, are an Abrasax, and the prestigious halls of Stalliongrad have nurtured the Abrasax Family for generations. It was my alma mater, and my father’s, and my grandfather’s. It is tradition.” He caressed Orion’s cheek. “And what have I told you of tradition?”

The young colt shrugged. “That it defines us in our entirety.”

“That’s my boy.”

Orion jumped at the sound of a brass horn, and the gruff voice of the train conductor called out to the huddling crowd. One by one, they began boarding the train.

“Lord Sol.” Clarence trotted up next to the old stallion as he floated a pair of suitcases with his magic. “My apologies, Sire, but we must make haste.”

“I know, I know. Just… just give me a moment,” Sol removed a small jewelry box from the confines of his coat pocket and opened it. “I realized that it was time.”

Orion’s lips parted at sight of the golden, cross-shaped brooch. “P-Papa… is that?” He pointed to the lavender gemstone encased within.

“The Stone of Luna, one of seven Abrasax Stones. They are the heirlooms of our house.” Sol gestured to his own golden brooch bearing a white stone, pinned to the knot of his scarf. “And this one is yours. Wear it with pride.”

Orion took the box in his hands. “It’s beautiful, Papa. Thank you.”

Sol chuckled and shook his head. “Truth be told, of all the Abrasax Stones, I hold that one closest to my heart.”

“How so?” Orion arched an eyebrow.

“You see, it belonged to your mother once, Maker bless her soul.” Sol took on a more somber expression. “She was a kind mare… a good mare, and though she had never met you, I am certain she would have loved you as much as I do.”

Orion threw his arms around him in a hug, catching Sol by surprise. Fur as soft as velvet brushed against the little colt’s cheek, taking in the familiar scent of smoked fire lilies and gooseberries. “I’ll treasure it always.” He looked up with a smile.

“Oh, Orion.” Sol returned the hug. “I will miss you dearly.” He kissed Orion on his forehead. “Now try not to trouble Clarence, and do give my regards to Cassiopeia and Neon when you arrive at Trottingham Station.”

Orion nodded, wiping the tears from his eyes. “Fare thee well, Papa.”

Sol favored him with a rueful grin. “Maker guide you always, my son. Strive high, walk tall, and most of all, never forget who you are, an Abrasax.”

That was a lifetime ago.


Orion circled his finger over the lavender gemstone beneath the knot of his scarlet tie as he peered through the backseat window at a Canterlot he no longer remembers. His father would tell him stories of old Canterlotean buildings with walls of polished marble, and how their towers of onion-shaped domes would graze the clear blue sky. Now in their stead lay towering structures of brick, concrete and steel enameled with nauseating shades of grey. Holographs and streams of bright neon set the dreary, midmorning streets ablaze with billboards and all manner of trivial infomercials.

The city was bursting with life as ponies of all races walked the pavements, eyes fixed on their crystal tablets as they bustled about their business. Thousands from all spectrums of life thrived in the Crown City, the heart of the empire under Princess Celestia’s watchful eye. Noble or pauper, they all got by one way or another. Orion sighed as he shifted his torso against the lavish leather seats. Canterlot had changed, that was a fact, but a far cry from the glorious capital it once was.

There was once a time where ponies used to walk these quaint cobblestoned streets with a sense of dignity and refinement. Now it was just another city, and how it reeked with the stench of capitalism and progress. Orion may be an advocate for the technological advancements of ponykind, yet tragically he remained a sentimentalist at heart.

“In other news, notorious unicorn-supremacist faction known only as The Firstborns have claimed responsibility of a series of bombings across Fillydephia in the past several moons.”

Orion’s attention was soon robbed by the floating neon-green screen suspended behind the driver’s seat, broadcasting the last news feed from the Canterlot News Network. His fingers clasped together, eyes narrowing ever so slightly as the newscaster continued.

“The Firstborns appeared a year ago amass protests against the use of Machina as propagated by the Church of Arcana Eternia. Believers had long argued that the use of magic belonged solely to the unicorns, and that existence of Machina is in fact heresy.”

“Albedo, the leader of the Firstborns, has sworn that his fellow believers will not rest until—”

Orion changed the feed with a wave of his hand. This time to a backdrop of burning buildings, scattered rubble and the forlorn expressions of escaping refugees.

“Two years had passed. Yet, the Redeans see no end to their bloody conflict, with thousands dead, and thousands more on the run, seeking shelter and sanctuary from neighboring nations. President Armin, the newly-elected representative of the Redenia after the shocking assassination of his predecessor, Presiden Mustasfar, had—”

The feed switched yet again with another wave of his hand to an earth pony newscaster accompanied by live footage from Canterlot’s Hall of Justice as the camera narrowed in on rather familiar face. Orion bent himself forward, eyes wide in attention, and ears perked with interest.

“Today, Lord Argus DeSenti of the DeSenti Family.” Orion scowled at the mention of the name. “Was acquitted by High Court earlier today for the rape and murder of the young earth pony filly, Daisy Springs. The acquittal came with insufficient evidence, and the mysterious disappearance of a key witness.”

Argus DeSenti, one of Canterlot’s most notorious nobles. He recognized that no good, low-life scum of an earth pony anywhere.

“When questioned, Lord DiSenti had only this to say.” The camera then zoomed in on the alabaster earth pony bearing a smug grin behind his dirty blonde mustache. “It has been taxing couple of months, but I am glad that through it all, justice has prevailed.”

A feint glow irradiated from Orion’s violet irises.

“Terrible thing what happened to that little filly, and I sure hope they catch the maniac responsible, but from here on out, it’s no concern of mine.”

“The shocking murder of Daisy Springs comes as the sixth high-profile murder this year. Based on a recent study, the crime rate in Manehattan had risen by twenty percent in over the past decade, and with local law enforcement already stretched to the bone, this reporter fears that the numbers will continue to rise.”

He scoffed through clenched teeth, but before he could change the feed, the words ‘Breaking News’ flashed in red as it streaked across the emerald screen accompanied by images of burning buildings with walls scorched and riddled with bullet holes. Bodies littered, ash-like on the cobblestoned streets in puddles of red, caked with dust and soot. Trails of blackened smoke tainted the clear blue sky as the island burned, blockaded by a legion of war ships and blimps. Orion then felt a ghostly chill roll down his spine like a Windigo’s embrace.

Galahd… Artemisia!

Galahd is an island kingdom hundreds of miles off the coastal city of Manehattan and had long served as a key port between the Eastern Kingdoms and Equestria. As a colt, Orion spent many a summer at the Grand Palace, mostly in the precious company of Princess Artemisia. Their fathers were close friends and their families had remained as such even after Lord Sol’s passing.

“Breaking news. Chaos had broken out in island nation of Galahd with the invasion of a private military corporation named Gjallarhorn under the directives of the East Karaba Trading Company, leaving behind in their wake, insurmountable damage and civilian casualties. As of now, Gjallarhorn forces had seized control of the main port and erected a blockade surrounding the entire island, halting all traffic in and out of the kingdom.”

“A representative of The Company, Orm Jaafar, had this to say.” The camera panned to the sight of an obese camel draped in tight silk garb two sizes too small. The fabric tugged at his diamond studded buttons as if clinging for dear life. He straightened his fez and cleared his throat.

“For decades the East Karaba Trading Company had done business with the Kingdom of Galahd.” His accent was clearly Saddle Arabian. “But we have deemed that the newly imposed taxes and raised import tariffs for all Eastern traders are both unwarranted and discriminatory at best. Therefore, the Company had no choice but to intervene. I wish to inform the citizens of the world that we have tried to initiate a more… peaceful solution, but they had paid us no heed. We at the Company seek your understanding, and by Mualla’s will, we will reach a more favorable outcome.”

“The East Karaba Trading Company had vowed that the blockade will continue so long as the King refuses to adhere to the Company’s demands. His majesty, King Adel Anoushiravan, had decreed that the Company’s actions was a declaration of war and a direct violation of the Thirteenth Equestrian Accords while his daughter, Princess Artemisia, the Crown Princess of Galahd, has vowed to seek the immediate intervention of Princess Celestia in hopes that she and the Royal Equestrian Guard would put an end to this injustice. Stay tuned as we bring you more—”

Orion terminated the feed with a harsh swipe his hand across the screen as it dissipated soon afterwards. There will be no aid for Galahd. Princess Celestia may be revered by all as the true Equestrian monarch, but in truth she is but a slave to her own crown, shackled by the very system she had created. Her influence and power had diminished over the decades, shadowed by Parliament and its politicians, but none worse than the Entitled.

The crème de la crème of Equestrian nobility, and members of the House of Lords had long leveraged on their immense wealth and influence to bend their fellow politicians and even the Solar Princess herself to their will. Knowing the House of Lords and how adamant they remain in preserving their own self-interests, any talk of military intervention would take months, if not years. By then, Galahd would be nothing more but piles of stone.

You were right Papa. This world is burning down all around us, and nopony seems to care.

Orion drew a deep, staggered breath and exhaled sharply. He clawed his fingers into the arm rest by his side, his nails dug hard into polished leather as if to contain the searing rage surging within like Hellfire. The rich and powerful, they take what they want. Without fear, and without mercy.

And they laugh… they laugh at the poor, at the downtrodden, but by the Old Gods…

They will not laugh at me.

The vehicle jerked to a halt, returning the young Lord to the real world.

“Hey, I’m drivin’ ‘ere.” The earth pony in the driver’s seat waved a hoof in the air. “Dumb, flippin’ feather brained, cat-pigeons!”

“By the Old Gods, Albert, what happened?” Orion turned his attention to a group of juvenile griffins outside who returned Albert’s outburst with some rather obscene gestures.

Albert turned around. “Sorry ‘bout that, false alarm. You alright, Gov’ner? Nothin’ broken I hope.” He offered a look of concern.

Orion waved a dismissive hand. “Still in one piece, Maker willing. Just, be more careful. The last thing we want is to draw attention to ourselves.”

He knew that such desires were merely wishful thinking at best, considering the crowd of ponies already amassing outside snapping pictures with their hoof-held devices to a hymn of oohs and ahhs. After all, Orion’s mode of transport is not particularly the most subtle of vehicles. Dubbed the Hermes by his late grandfather, the car was fifteen feet from bumper to bumper, supercharged with sixteen cylinders, and a quad-crystal core with six wheels and a nine speed transmission. To Orion, such knowledge was no more than meaningless refuse, but tradition requires an Abrasax to know his family heirlooms by hard.

“Righty do, Gov’ner. Hold on, ole Albert’s gonna get you all there safe and sound.” The seasoned chauffer shifted gears and leaned on the accelerator as the car began moving yet again.

“I have no doubt.” Orion gave a nervous chuckle, already regretting having Clarence stay behind to go shopping for more scented soap.

Then again, the young Lord hadn’t the heart to hold Albert accountable. In days of old, the automobile remained not just a luxury confined to the Entitled, and they weren’t subtle about it either, adorning their mechanized chariots with polished plates of gold and precious stones. Now, with the evolution of Machina, every laypony with bits to spare could finally afford themselves a decent set of wheels, and the roads were filled with them.

Orion rubbed the back of his neck. First the buildings, now the carriages. There was a time he used to wave at the passengers, savoring those flabbergasted expressions when they caught sight of the strange little creature in the back seat of this cherry-red monstrosity. Now, all he could see is his own reflection in the tinted windows of yet another four-wheeler.

“You know, Gov’ner.”

The young Lord returned his attention to the old stallion in the driver’s seat.

“Wish I’d told you this sooner, but I’m glad ya home. Been a long time, that’s all.”

Orion graced him with a smile. “It has, hasn’t it? How’s the family, by the way?”

“Doin’ alright, thanks for askin’. Me lad got married last summer, heard the lass is now with foal. Can ya believe it? Me, a grandpappy.”

“Well, that’s wonderful news. So pray tell, is it a filly or a colt?”

Albert chuckled. “Now, now, settle down, Gov’ner. Bit too early to tell, but I have it in me bones that it’ll be a colt. You mark me words, ole’ Albert’s got gift for this sorta’ thing.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Orion crossed his legs and clasped his hands together. “Do extend my heartiest congratulations to your son.”

“Will do, Gov’ner. Will do.” Albert’s emerald green eyes shifted to the rear view mirror. “By the way, me family and I would love to have ya over for when the foal arrives.”

He cringed as Orion’s eyebrows rose with surprise. “I mean… that is, if ya not too busy with ya businessin’ and all. Me lad and his lass are throwin’ a little get together and I was hopin’—”

“Of course I will, in fact, I’d be delighted,” Orion replied with a bright smile. “As my father used to say, the most important thing in life will always be family. Personally, I believe family is something worth celebrating.”

“Praise Celestia for that, Gov’ner. You know, I’ve never told this to anypony before, but twenty five years ago, I lost me job when ole Rickabee went tits up in debt.”

“Rickabee?” Orion repeated, recalling a page in an old textbook back at Stalliongrad. “You mean Rolls Rickabee, the former owner of the Rickabee Candy Company? Didn’t he used to own that chocolate factory off the south side of Canterlot?”

“Aye, and me wife and I, we was newlyweds then. With me lad on the way I knew I needed bits, and fast, but I was not a clever pony, never finished school so nopony would hire me,” Albert said, his words laced with spite as he tightened his hooves around the ivory wheel.

“I won’t lie to ya, scared I was. Worried ‘bout how we was going to raise our lad without a roof over his head, ya know. So I did the only thing I could do…”

Orion’s body stiffened. “Oh, Albert, please tell me you did not.”

“Tried to rob an Entitled, I did. I knew they would have me head for it, but I was desperate enough to try. Well Celestia must be smiling on me that day, for the stallion I tried to mug was yer old man, Lord Abrasax. Gave me a good ole thrashing, he did. Never stood a chance. Swear I could still feel his hoof on me jaw.”

“I can imagine. Despite his age, Papa was well versed in Abrasax martial art, Vis Stella Bellum.” Orion pulled a sly grin. “In all his years, I doubt anypony had ever bested him at Still Way.”

Albert took a deep breath. “Anyhow, when I could take no more, I dropped to me knees and cried.” He chuckled. “Don’t believe I had ever cried so hard in me life. Told Lord Abrasax everythin’, even begged him to spare me life. Thought I was a goner, I did. ‘Stead he brought me back to Abrasax Manor, offered me some bits and a job.”

Orion laughed. “That’s Papa for you.”

“Lord Abrasax saved me and me family that day. It’s a debt I can never repay.” Albert’s eyes wandered back to the rear view mirror. “Yer father was a good stallion, Gov’ner, a kind stallion, and don’t you let any wanka’ tell ya otherwise, ya hear?”

“Thank you Albert, that means a lot,” Orion said, just as the car came to a stop to the subtle screeches of rubber against the asphalt.

“Alright, here we are, Earl Court.” The old stallion pulled on the brakes. “Though, if ya don’t mind me asking, are we supposed to be waitin’ for somepony or somethin’?” Albert searched the empty streets for signs of life. “I mean, there ain’t nothin’ ‘ere but that ugly ole phone booth.”

“Patience Albert, he’ll be here. If I know the Doctor, he’s rarely late for any—” Orion paused as the doors to the phone booth opened with a burst of steam. His lips curled into a thin smile. “Well, well, speak of the Doctor.”

The brown earth pony coughed and grumbled while he batted away at the cloud of steam. Orion gritted his teeth at the sight of the pitiful moss green suit he had on, feeling a small tinge of remorse for having dragged the poor introvert out into the real world.

Emphasize the small.

He followed the discontented stallion as he circled the car, making his way to the empty seat on the left. “Never again, never again!” he exclaimed as he opened the door.

“Doctor, how nice to see you all prepped up and ready to go.” Orion gave his heartiest grin only to be met with a nasty scowl.

“Do you have any idea how much it costs to get a suit tailored at the very last minute?” the Doctor cried, slamming the door shut behind him. “My liver and kidneys, that’s what!”

“I’m guessin’ we have our passanger, ain’t that right, Gov’ner?” Albert narrowed his gaze at his rowdy passenger in the rear view mirror. “Should I be concerned?”

“No, no, Albert, he’s fine. I promise he’ll be on his best behavior. Won’t you now?” Orion gestured to the Doctor who growled in response. “Anyways, Abrasax Towers, and on the double.”

Albert nodded, shifting gears as the car began moving again.

“Not to mention it took for-flipping-forever to find the old thing,” the Doctor added.

Orion rolled his eyes. “Oh, come now, Doctor, you’re being overdramatic. Besides, if you paid more than hoof’s worth for that atrocious thing, I’m afraid you had been played for a sap.”

The Doctor’s face puffed up. “O-Overdramatic? A-Atrocious? I’ll have you know that this suit is an antique, woven from the finest Yakyakistan wool, not to mention—”

“Oh, for Elysium’s sake, just send me the bill and I will take care of it personally, but for now I need you to focus,” Orion said as he helped straighten the Doctor’s blaring yellow tie. “Your presence here is not by petty impulse.”

The Doctor gave him a long, leveled stare. “Do forgive me if I find that extremely hard to believe.”

Orion bit his bottom lip, then cleared his throat. “Okay, maybe it was, but since you’re here already, I need you to do something incredibly important for me.”

The Doctor’s ears perked to attention.

“Important? Well…” The Doctor rubbed the back of his neck with a rather silly grin on his muzzle. “If I can be of service, then I—”

“Splendid!” Orion exclaimed with a clap of his hands. “Now here is what I need you to do.” He gestured for him to come closer.

The Doctor leaned forward.

“I need you…” Orion said.

He nodded.

“…to introduce me at the conference.”

The Doctor fell face-first into the car’s leather floor.

Orion’s face washed blank with surprise. “Well… That was rather… unexpected.”

“How in Celestia’s green earth could that possibly be important?” The Doctor jumped to his hooves screaming as Orion backed himself into a corner. “You could have gotten anypony with half a brain to do it for you!”

“But…” Orion gestured with his finger. “I don’t want a pony with half a brain. In fact, I want a pony with—” he poked the Doctor right in between the eyes with that same conniving smile, stretching from one side of his face to the other. “—your brain, more precisely, the brains belonging to that of the engineer I intend to make my new Chief Science Officer of S.W.O.R.D.”

“Chief S-S-S-Science Officer of S-S-S.W.O.R.D?” the Doctor stuttered, his jaw going slack as he stood over the young Lord gasping word for word. “S.W.O.R.D? T-t-The S.W.O.R.D?”

“I did not stutter, did I? I figured the purpose of this press conference was to introduce me as the new President of Abrasax Industries, so why not kill two birds with one stone?” Orion raised an eyebrow when he realized the Doctor had stopped responding, or breathing for that matter.

“Doctor Whooves? Equestria to Doctor Whooves…” Orion snapped his fingers in a bit to get a response. “Doctor!”

“Yes, Sire. I mean Lord Abra– I mean Ryan!” the Doctor blurted as he snapped to attention.

“So, do you want the job or not? Or would you rather I’d give it to Doctor Gallifrey?”

“I’ll take it, I’ll take it!” the Doctor flailed his hooves in the air. “For Celestia’s sake, I’ll the job!”

“Then, it shall be yours to keep.” He clasped his hands together. “And I look forward to watching you move the audience with your truly emotional speech about me.”

The Doctor crossed his arms, sulking into his seat while he did his best impression of a Giant Equestrian pufferfish. “Can I be perfectly honest for one second?”

“Why certainly, Doctor, go right ahead.”

“You… are one evil whorseson.” He stared daggers the young Lord.

A wry grin appeared upon Orion’s face. “And don’t you ever forget it.”

Albert chuckled. “You sure are ye father’s colt, Gov’ner.” He pulled down on his chauffer cap. “Well, Abrasax Towers in sight, though I’d stay put if I was you. Least ‘till them royal Bobbies can come get ya. Whole thing’s lookin’ a bit barmy from here.”

“Speaking of speeches.” The Doctor turned to the young Lord next to him. “I assume you already have one prepared for the conference?”
Orion cranked his neck in the Doctor’s direction with an obvious scowl. “Excuse me, just who do you take me for?”

The Doctor sighed. “Well that’s a relief.”

“Of course I don’t.”

The car shook with the sound of the Doctor falling face-first to the floor.

“You really ought to stop doing that,” Orion chided.

My dearest Artemisia… stay strong for as long as you can.

For I promise you, they have no idea what’s coming.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so flipping long. I've been struggling with some health issues the past year and now I'm back on on track. Episode 3 is done, but unfortunately it is in need for a good overhaul. It'll be up soon enough. Till then, stay tuned.

Also, a shout out to Xenophillia. You'll get a cookie if you find it.


Credits & Special Thanks

My Editor/Pre-Readers:
Ocalhoun