• Published 27th May 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 9 Comments

What Goes Up... - WonderDash



What happens to Rainbow Dash after a freak accident at a show?

  • ...
2
 9
 1,390

Surprise!

Ok, here we go.

I take a deep breath and push the double metal doors open. Thankfully, nopony else is here, so I'm free to step outside.

Taking this time to stretch my wings, I plan ahead for the long flight awaiting for me. Who knows how quickly I will be able to find the place? I don't want to land anywhere in Cloudsdale because there's always a chance for an angry mob and I don't want to waste any more time dealing with it.

I kick off into the sky with all my strength and start scanning Cloudsdale from above. The air up here is very thin, so it's hard to breath while up here. Cloudsdale is pretty high up, but higher than that is called the "zone", where only professional pegasus are able to handle the air. Any normal pegasus will not last more than five minutes before losing consciousness and fall to their demise. Even if a pegasus can handle it, it is really a strain on the body to conserve oxygen while flying up so high. Being constantly flying around and practicing tricks back at home enables me to fly so up high, so I can handle the condition. Even then, I can feel my own lungs just screaming for usable air, but my objective is more important than present comfort. You can even say my friends are more important than the air I breathe.

Seeing Cloudsdale from a bird's eye view is really a first. The entire city is sitting on a near perfect circle cloud with all different types of shapes that represent each building's roof. Ponies down there look like nothing but ants squirming around, all bustling around in their own business. The stadium where the event will be taking place looks like a bit that can clink in my hooves.

I start doing falcon scans, circling around Cloudsdale looking for its prey. It takes a while to spot anything grand or unusual with all the colossal towers looking over Cloudsdale. After about the fifth circle, I spot an unusually large roof of a building on the edge of the town. It is beautifully decorated with lights, so I decide that must be the Grand Mansion.

I aim for that house and start diving downwards. As soon as I resume a gliding position, I hear a crackle of electricity and the air starting to bend around me. Realizing what is going on, I quickly fold my wings in and reach out my hooves in a superpony position. Instantly, I am jerked forward and accelerate at lightning speeds in just a matter of seconds. All I notice is the acceleration, but I didn't know that I've just performed a sonic rainboom until I spread out my wings to decelerate. As I'm slowing down, I notice colors on the top of my eye and look up. The rainbow shockwave spread horizontally across the sky with beauty unlike anything before, this time with ten times the vividness and twice the array of colors. It isn't just a collage of six color strips lined up side by side, but with all the obscure colors in between each major color in a perfect blend transition between each color. I stare it for fifteen seconds before I flinch at a times infinity intense BOOM that hits my ear like a carriage accident. Not only can I hear the sound, but can also see the sound shockwave pass over me and span out towards Cloudsdale. Apparently, I went fast enough to beat the speed of sound not only by just a few seconds, but FIFTEEN ENTIRE SECONDS! I've must have gone at least Mach 15 or something. Twilight always argued that anything above Mach 10 is impossible.

Well, I've just done the impossible.

Still descending, I still see the visible rainbow shockwave that keeps going in all directions. It even reaches Canterlot and continues as far as the horizon and keeps going. I have no idea why this rainboom is so special, maybe because performing it in near ozone layer made it have different qualities and properties, but who knows?

As soon as everything calms down, I release my wings and land on a small cloud. Turns out, I am right about this building being the mansion. Finally recovering from body shock, I turn my head to observe my surroundings.

Now I know why Mr. Weather this the Grand Mansion.

This place isn't just grand, it is MASSIVE times ENORMOUS. The yard around the house is basically the size of any small town (take Ponyville for instance). The cloud yard is dotted with complex hedge designs and massive statues. It even has its own labyrinth, which is nothing compared to the one next to Canterlot Castle where we faced Discord. The entire property is fenced in by a personal force field similar to of Shining Armor's, but transparent-white instead of pink. I look up at where I descended and see a circular hole from which I was able to come in, but now it's closing itself off. Guess I am expected or something?

The mansion 's height can compare to the my house's, but more square, firm and ten times more wider. The outside is decorated with anything a Canterlot pony can imagine: diamond light bulbs, gold-trimmed fences, opal windows, you name it!

If Rarity was here, she would faint just at the sight of this.

From where I'm standing, the path from my position to the mansion lights up with fluorescent clouds. I hesitate at first, but with nowhere else to go, I follow the tempting path, up the stairs, and to the front door. There, I am welcomed by two royal pegasus guards. Assuming I am on the list, I walk right up to them and attempt to open the door.

But my eyes are flashed with white feathers and I fall backwards.

"Hey, what's the big deal?!"

"Sorry, you're not welcomed here."

"Not welcomed? Then what's with all the 'letting me in with the force field' and the path lighting?"

"Our orders were to test those specific things. It is just a coincidence that you were able to come in."

"Some coincidence..."

"Now, would you please go back from where you came from? I will open the gates and passage through the force field." He turns and pulls a lever that I didn't notice before.

"Fine..."

As I am going down the sapphire stairs, I hear my name called.

"Rainbow Dash! I don't know why, but our master wants to speak with you inside."

"Great, what did I do now? Ruin the prefect pattern of clouds on the yard?"

"No, something else. She wishes to see you inside, IMMEDIATELY."

She?

I walk back up the stairs and the guards push open the doors. Inside, it is completely pitch black with absolutely no lighting at all. As soon I'm fully inside the mansion, the guards slam the door shut behind me.

"What is the meaning of this?! Let me out!"

I slam and pound the front door, but it is no use. It is locked, from the inside? What will happen now? Kidnapping? Torture? Shipped off to some unknown land?

I can't even see my own hooves that are right in front of me...

Panic...

Just when I am about to loose it, I am blinded by sudden bright lights. I literally would've leaped out of my uniform if it wasn't zipped up.


"SURPRISE!"