• Published 27th May 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 9 Comments

What Goes Up... - WonderDash



What happens to Rainbow Dash after a freak accident at a show?

  • ...
2
 9
 1,390

The Big Bang

Shock and despair spread across the Wonderbolts like wildfire. The entire scene of organized Wonderbolts quickly turns into one of Discord's chaotic mind schemes. Ponies fume with fury, writhe with pure confusion, or simply frown.

"Are you SURE, Madden?"

"Our weather ponies are never wrong in the past. Why would they joke about this right now?"

"This is bad, REALLY bad! How much time do we have before it reaches us?"

"In about fifteen minutes the first portion of the storm will hit Ponyville, then Cloudsdale after another fifteen minutes."

"Twenty minutes..."

Spitfire closes her eyes to focus on the extremely important decision that she is going to make. The rest of the Wonderbolts silence themselves to listen to Spitfire's decision...

It seems to take eons before Spitfire finally says something.

"I'm afraid we are going have to..."

I gulp down a hard swallow.

"...continue with the show."


"WHAT!?!?" as all the Wonderbolts, including me, gasp in unison.

"You heard me. We are going to perform regardless of the storm. This day is one of the most important days that all of you have spent countless hours to prepare. I don't want to waste all of your time and effort just because a wind storm got in our way."

Murmurs and whispers spread through the crew, some with happiness, surprise, and especially worry.

"And Rainbow Dash..." she says as she turns towards me. "You have been looking forward for this day for a really long time, as long as you and I can remember. I know this day means so much to you, and cancelling it right before it starts must be painful for you."

"Oh, Spitfire. It's not a big deal."

"Stop trying to be humble, Rainbow. You know what I mean. Having a dream come true and then broken in the middle of it, what pony can withstand that pain?"
...
...
...
...
...She's right. At that moment, the realization of Spitfire's thoughtful decision makes me want to praise Spitfire as much as I do with Celestia.

"Spitfire, I-I don't know what to say... Thank you."

"Anything for you, Rainbow Dash."

She turns to address everypony else.

"ALRIGHT. We've got a lot on our hooves, but I still want this show to be accident-free. Every move needs to be performed with 120% more than what we have done already. Just a puff of wind isn't going to slow us down. Am I right?"

"Yes!"

"AM I RIGHT!?"

"YEAH!"

"NOW LET'S ROLL!"

"HOO-RAH!"



Wow. Inspiring. I never knew she is a good speaker.

All of us snap down our goggles and hop onto a metal platform. Our formation on this is just like the double triangle formation we flew to get here. I can hear Madden's muffled voice announcing the intro in a loud vibrant voice.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts. Please rise and join me in welcoming our beloved Princess Celestia and Prince Luna!"

There rose a loud roaring and cheer. I assume that Celestia and Luna have taken their place in the VIP box...next to my friends...

"And without further ado, I would like...

The platform we are standing on starts to rise and a trapdoor opens above us, letting down bright beams of daylight.

"...to present..."

Ok, Rainbow Dash, you got this. Focus."

"The Wonderbolts!"

As soon as the platform stops rising and the curtains surrounding us instantly draw back behind us, Spitfire and I take off in a lightning start, followed by the other ten Wonderbolts.

We perform our entrance move by flying straight and curve up as we reach the edge of the stadium. As we ascend, the front triangle splits off to a slight right and forms a straight line. The other triangle does the same but to the slight left. The lines keep ascending when the front Wonderbolts of each line stop and we clump into a ball. With a strong push, each ball of Wonderbolts explode with sparkle and light in a form of a firework, the same firework they performed at the Best Young Flier Competition.

But we didn't stop there. Ironically at the competition, the Wonderbolts would fly down and take their judging seats. Now it's rather the entire Equestria that is judging the Wonderbolts right now.

By this time, our suits start to kick in and gives off that smoke effect regular Wonderbolts have when they fly. Every Wonderbolt has that thick cloud of smoke trailing behind them, except me. I did not have a smoke trail like the others, but instead a rainbow trail similar to the one I got when I performed my first Rainboom as a filly.

I don't know what the ponies down there were thinking, seeing an odd rainbow trail among a field of smoke.

The next thing we do is perform the Scarlet Wing, which consists of many barrel rolls and inverted loop-de-loops. In the middle of my second loop, I feel a strong push on my left flank. I waver a bit, but quickly adjust myself to get back into position.

"Keep formation!" Spitfire shouts.

I guess I'm not the only pony struggling against the wind, but I am too focused to look behind me. The wind has gotten two times stronger than when we flew here.

The storm is coming...

Just ten more acts...

We still manage to keep going. As we progress through the acts, the wind gets stronger. It almost seems to get stronger times whatever the act we've finish.

By the time of act nine, the wind basically throws us around like dodge balls. It blows so hard that it is practically impossible to fly straight. It is also hard to avoid every thundercloud that got into our way, or else it would fry a Wonderbolt. We simply can't afford losing anypony when its so close to the finale.

Act ten finally arrives, where I perform my Sonic Rainboom, or my revised version: the Sonic Rainblast. After the Wonderbolts make a u-turn during act nine, I keep soaring higher and higher, dodging all thunderclouds and whatnot, until I am literally above the storm. Up here, it's so peaceful that it's hardly believable that there is a massive storm right below my hooves.

With a slow deep breath, I aim downwards and cut right through the clouds. My sheer velocity protects me from the thunderclouds, so I just ram right through them.

Soon, I hear that familiar crackle and resume my superpony position. The air around me starts bends and my body flattens to a 15 degree angle.

Ka-BOOM

Just as I feel the sudden acceleration hit me, my eyes are blinded by some sort of bright flash despite the goggles on my face. Sheer electricity courses through me and shatters my nervous system and muscles just as I zoom downwards at mach 15 speeds. Thunderclaps and lights disorientates me as I lose control.

I couldn't feel my own body...

... and I'm falling to my death.