• Published 21st Jul 2011
  • 2,919 Views, 43 Comments

Falling Stars - Ar0k

  • ...
4
 43
 2,919

Chapter 06: Hunter Killer

The soft tune of a guitar echoed in Trot's mind causing him to stir on the dark floor of his subconscious. The ground felt ice cold, yet incredibly comforting for reason's Trot could not understand. Lifting his head and opening his eyes he found himself alone in the black nothingness within himself.

The tune changed from the familiar melody of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" to a single chord, and then nothing. If Trot didn't know any better, he would have thought the guitar was being tuned. Another cord was strung, followed by an elderly voice.

"Much better..."

Trot suddenly became very aware of the nothingness around him. More importantly, he was aware of the fact that he was aware. A lucid dream. It took him a moment to recognize the sensation, and when he did a stone formed in the pit of his stomach. Something like this had happened to him before, several times in fact and there was no denying that it was happening again. He dreaded what would come next: The ripping. The tearing. The moaning. The roaring. The laughing.

"Easy boy..." Said the disembodied voice.

"I won't let them hurt you."

Trot looked around him, trying to find the source. His experience told him not to trust the voice, but he detected no malice in it. The voice sounded very old, and weak, but also wise and peaceful.

"I wont be able to stop them for very long..." It continued along with several strums of his guitar.

Trot opened his mouth to speak, but no matter how hard he tried he could not force words out of his mouth. He then realized that he wasn't breathing. The sensation of not breathing and yet not needing air fascinated him until a terrifying thought struck him.

I'm dead

"No your not dead. Though yer friends certainly think so." The voice responded amused.

The guitar music transitioned from simple chords into a full out song, the like of which Trot had never heard before.

"You'd better go to them. They need you to guide them now more than ever."

Trot tried to protest, but the lack of a voice gave him nothing for his effort. He had already sworn that if there was a breath left in his body, he would never allow anyone to be claimed by…

"The enemy is coming."

Trot froze.

"You'd better go. Now."

The next thing he knew, he was falling through the emptiness. His voice returned as he screamed, and inhaled sharply only to scream again.

A moment later he found that he wasn't falling, but lying down on a cold wooden floor. It was dark, and Trot had to take several breaths before he could calm down enough to think clearly. His heart rate lowered to a reasonable enough level to try and get his bearings. He didn't know where he was but he could hear the low rumble of thunder. He tried to lift his head, but he only got half a foot before...

*Thump*

His head hit the ceiling, after not even lifting two feet off the ground. He pushed and felt around with his hooves, and realized he was in a wooden crate.

No

It wasn't a wooden crate, it was a coffin.

"No! No no no no no no no!" He yelled out repeatedly as he kicked and attacked the wood surrounding him. The previous fear and panic returned as adrenaline shot through his body.
"HELP!" he yelled in terror, but knew no one could hear him. He crashed and thrashed even harder, until he was rewarded with a loud crack, and then a cool breeze.

Hope filled his being. He hadn't been buried yet. He yelled out for help once more for good measure, but focused most of his strength on trying to break from his wooden prison. After relentlessly kicking and thrashing at the coffin, the wood gave in. Trot scrambled out of his death bed, and with some effort climbed out of a six foot ditch dug out for him in the apple orchard. He panted heavily as the rumble of thunder echoed above him. He pounded the ground with his hoofs and cried out to the sky in triumph and relief, grateful to be alive.

It started to rain, but only lightly as Trot came to grips with what just happened to him.

"Trixie…Guards…Running…Rainbow…Exhaustion...Apples…Buried alive" He said, piecing together key words from his recent memory. As he tried to gather himself, the disembodied voice came back to him as clearly as if the pony who said it was standing next to him.

"Go to them."

His heart raced as he spun around trying to find the source of the voice. There was nothing, but the hole that was to be his tomb. In the distance something brown was being tossed by the wind, and he felt a strong urge to follow after it. After a brief chase, the brown object caught itself on a low tree branch and Trot was able to get close enough to recognize the object as a hat. A very familiar hat belonging to the very pony that foiled his attempts at escape. He took it down with his teeth and looked at it for a while.

Allowing himself a small grin, he put the hat on his head for safekeeping. Turning his attention to the town beyond the apple orchard, he galloped at full speed.

---------

Twilight flung a book entitled, "Feats of the Trail Blazers"clear across the room with her teeth. She was too angry and frustrated to have the sense to use her magic. It collapsed into a growing pile of books, that were the results of her relentless studying for the past couple of days. She pounded her hoof on the table several times as she looked on at the last book remaining on the table. She scowled at it. It was only the love for her princess that prevented her from blasting the book "Old Mares Tales" into oblivion with her magic. Without this book, they had little to no chance of making it to their destination. In that moment she grew tempted. Perhaps it was best that no pony every came across that land. Especially after what happened to Trot.

She pounded her hoof on the table and gave one last frustrated yell before allowing herself to curl up on the floor in silence.

There had still been no reply from the princess. No reply from her letter detailing the dreams on the train, and no reply from her letter detailing the most recent events about the death of the Trail Blazer.

When Applejack and Rainbow Dash brought him back to Appaloosa in bonds, There were many that wanted to question him, including Twilight herself, in fact she was first in line. But then they realized he was not breathing. Nothing could be done to revive him by either the physician of Appaloosa, or Luna herself. Shortly after, Philomena left carrying a letter and report back to Canterlot, written by a grief stricken Twilight.

There was a knock on the door but Twilight didn't care.

"Twi?" Spike asked through the door concerned.

He received nothing in response. The purple dragon attempted to knock again but Fluttershy stopped him.

"Let her be Spike." Fluttershy said, looking on at the door as if she could see through it.

Spike was in mid knock but lowered his claw in obedience.

"I can't stand to see her like this Fluttershy. She needs a friend right now."

Fluttershy shook her head.

"No…no she doesn't."

Spike looked at Fluttershy in shock.

"How can you say that Fluttershy!" The butter yellow pegasus looked as if she was going to shrink behind her pink mane, but in the last moment she stood tall.

"L-listen Spike, there are some wounds that wont heal any better if we keep pressuring to help…Sometimes we need to give ponies time to mourn."

Spike lowered his head trying to wrap his mind around the thought. Twilight had been in this state for two days. 'Wasn't that enough time to mourn?' But he trusted Fluttershy.

Spike turned towards the door once more, and gave a much quieter knock. "Were here for ya Twilight. Just let us know Ok?"

In the room, Twilight could over hear the conversation happening just outside her door. She thanked Fluttershy with all her heart as she started sobbing into the floor.

-------

Rainbow Dash was curled up into a ball on the stone floor, her rainbow tail wrapped around her like a small blanket. She looked at the silhouettes cast by the Iron bars around her, the final touch of the prison she so deserved. She covered her eyes with her mane, and then pressed it firmly against her eyes with her hooves, trying to block out the outside world.

She heard what sounded like hoof steps coming closer, until it stopped right outside her cell. The iron gates opened and closed as she heard somepony step into the cell.

"Sherrif Silverstar told me I could find you here."

Rainbow Dash didn't respond. She could not recognize the voice, but she didn't care. It could be the manager of the wonderbolts offering her a spot on the team, and she still wouldn't move from that spot.

"The sheriff doesn't blame you for the Trail Blazer's death, yet you stay here."

Rainbow Dash grit her teeth.

"I killed somepony. This is where I deserve to be."

"But neither you or your friend are to blame. The doctor said..."

Rainbow Dash did not want the pony to finish his sentence, whoever it was. She wanted to blow up in his face. In fact, what was she waiting for? She could use an outlet right now. She burst up from her little ball to face the pony.

"Listen buddy, I attacked him! If it weren't for m…" She stopped in mid sentence realizing who it was.

A Royal Guard pegasus was standing over her. His gold helmet was gone and replacing it was fresh bandages. His expression was stoic and his posture firm. Rainbow Dash was taken aback at the sight of him, or rather the sound of him. For the past few days she had really only heard the sum of about a sentence of words from the guard.

"Garret?" She asked softly, still slightly in shock.

Garret nodded, and sat in front of her.

"You…you talked to me."

Garret nodded, and after pausing to think, added: "Yes."

"Is this you trying to make me feel better?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Garret didn't give an answer but just stood there in silence. Rainbow Dash could almost see the wheels turning in the Royal Guards head as he tried to come up with an answer. She riddled herself with why the guard could so easily talk to her one moment, and completely revert to his Royal Guard antics the next.

Rainbow Dash watched a few of Garret's failed attempts to explain himself. The rainbow maned pegasus decided to change the subject.

"How's your head?"

"Better" the guard replied, obviously thankful for the change of subject.

"That's good."

Rainbow Dash pawed the ground. She had hid from the rest of her friends. The only other pony to have found her was Rarity, and after failing to comfort her, ran off to find Applejack. Even Malt and Braeburn had been here, but they didn't deliver the harsh words she so desired, but rather comforting words about how they didn't blame her for Trot's death. But even after all this she was inconsolable. Maybe it was just the shock of Garret freely speaking to her that knocked her away from her self loathing. Yeah, that was it.

"How's your brother?"

"He's alright. His injuries were far less serious than we first thought. He wont be able to fly for a week but he'll be fine. The Princess is looking after him now."

Rainbow Dash tried to suppress a goofy grin, and failed."That's the most you've ever said so far."

Garret rolled his eyes, while Rainbow Dash laughed quietly.

"Listen…uh…thanks. Really."

For a split second Rainbow Dash could have sworn she saw a smile.
-------------

"Applejack! Where have you been!?" Rarity asked as she found Applejack returning from the Apple Orchard. She was more worn and ragged than she usually was. Mud caked the bottom half of her coat, and her mane was out of her pony tail, several twigs and leaves sticking out of it.

"Ah…Ah can't find it."

"Darling…what's wrong?"

Why did I say that? Why in the world did I say that? Rarity thought, scolding herself. She knew exactly what was wrong with her. Rainbow Dash was taking the recent events very well compared to Applejack. While Rainbow Dash was regretful and sorry, Applejack was in denial…but at the same time…not? It was hard to explain. She had never seen her tough apple farmer friend act this way before.

"Mah pappy's hat…Ah can't find mah hat. I…It fell off when Ah was chasin' Trot an…"

"Hush darling I know…" Rarity said hugging her friend around the neck. Applejack tried to resist but it was futile. Rarity would not let the mare out of her grip.

"Rarity…Stop it please."

"Applejack. You didn't kill him...you didn't..."

"Yes ah did."

"No you didn't..."

"YES AH DID!" Applejack gave a mighty shove, knocking Rarity off balance and onto the ground. Applejack immediately regretted her actions. But before she could apologize, a crack of lightning caused both of them to jump. When Rarity regained her composure she looked to face the Apple Farmer.

"Doctor Herb Cart said he died from exerting himself too much…Who caused him to exert himself huh?"

Rarity just stood there silent, closing the distance with her friend again.

"It was me Rarity…Not Rainbow Dash. Ah killed him."

Applejack looked up to see Rarity siting close to her, listening. Applejack felt like she could share the weight with her friend, but she didn't want to. The pain of having killed somepony was just too intense. She waited for Rarity to speak, but she just said nothing. Applejack lowered her head, then after thinking for a moment decided to apologize to her friend for being rough, and at the same time thank her. As she opened her mouth she saw something in the corner of her eye.

Something Large and Black was heading their way.

"Rarity? Do ya see that?"

--------

Every citizen gathered to look at the stranger that had just arrived into town. A towering black pillar, that looked more like smoke than anything else.

The pillar gave a strange moan. It didn't sound like a moan of hunger, or a moan malice, it sounded much darker. Several of the townsfolk backed away, not knowing if the pillar of smoke meant any harm. Sheriff Silverstar emerged from his office and after surveying the situation, approached it.

"Ah am the sheriff of this here town. State your business."

The pillar of black smoke only moaned in response.

"Sheriff? What's going on?"

The sheriff turned around to see Rainbow Dash and Garret emerging from his office behind him.

"Good ta see ya out of that cell…It looks like we have a visitor."

As soon as he finished his word, something that looked like an arm came out of the black pillar and swatted the sheriff away. Silverstar flew back and crashed into a nearby window. The whole crowd gasped, as the pillar of black smoke condensed and twisted.

After a few seconds the black pillar had morphed itself into a massive creature, easily as tall as 4 ponies stacked on top of each other. It was covered in thick blue armor, with spikes protruding from its back. It stood on two legs and had two arms. A thick and large shield rested on its left arm, and attached to its right arm was what looked like a cannon. Once it finished forming, It hunched itself over, placing the shield in front of itself, making a large thud as it hit the ground. It leveled the contraption and pointed it at Rainbow Dash. The cannon started to glow a bright and sickly green.

Sensing the danger Garret spread his wings, before yelling at Rainbow Dash:

"FLY!"

The creatures weapon discharged, missing Rainbow Dash and Garret as they flew in separate directions, the green ball of fire that flew through the air, exploded on contact and leveled half of the Sherrif's office.

The citizens of Appaloosa turned and ran as the creature's weapon trained itself on them. But it refrained from firing, scanning the crowd and the surrounding buildings looking for a specific target.

----------

Twilight was startled by the sudden explosion. She jumped to the window to take a look outside and saw a strange creature taking notice of her. Twilight jumped back just in time, before the whole side of the inn exploded in green flames.

"What is going ON!?" she yelled as she ran for her life. Several explosions rocked the inn as the monster fired rapidly, tracking Twilight through the building.

Twilight jumped an entire flight of stairs as she heard another explosion right behind her. The heat was so close, she almost thought she had been caught in the explosion. She landed hard on the floor below. A nearby door swung open revealing a light blue unicorn in a bathrobe.

"WHO DARES DISTURB THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE!?"

She looked down at Twilight and raised an eyebrow.

"Why is half your tail missing?"

"Trixie, there's no time! We have to get out of here now!"

Trixie raised a hoof, pondering her words.

"Fine." She said before closing the door and emerging a split second later in her navy blue cape.

Twilight resisted the urge to face hoof, and realized that the attacks on her had stopped. She had a sudden thought and turned to look at Trixie who had just stepped over her.

Where's the princess!?"

-------

The creature roared as a large wagon flew and collided with its back. The creature turned its attention from the inn to look behind him and see Princess Luna standing in the center of the road. Her eyes were bleach white and her horn glowed radiantly.

"Leave…NOW!" She yelled. Her voice sounding more like nightmare moon than the actual Luna.

Using her magic, she levitated a cart filled with heavy rocks and smashed it against the creature. It had a short lived effect of knocking it off balance, before it recovered. Luna concentrated harder. The stones that fell on the ground flew back up and surrounded the behemoth. At the same time, all rocks shot themselves down at it with terrifying speed, but they were ineffective and merely glanced off of the creature's blue armor plating.

The creature brought his shield to bear and aimed his cannon at the princess. The weapon discharged three times and all three shots exploded on impact, but Luna was still standing. The shield she quickly erected, stood strong, and it was about to be tested to it's limits. In a matter of seconds the creature closed the distance and swung his shield up and down against the magic barrier. The creature was strong and Luna focused all her magic on keeping the barrier alive.

Several meters away, the townsfolk arrived armed with their pastries.

"Ready!?" Braeburn said raising a hoof. The townsfolk readied their pies.

"Fire!" The pies flew high, most of them hitting their mark, but the creature ignored them.

Malt came galloping into town from his bar and stopped next to Braeburn as the townsfolk continued to launch pastry after pastry at the creature.

"Braeburn! What the hay is going on here?!"

Braeburn turned from his target to explain the situation to Malt.

"Some darned pillar o' black smoke arrived and turned into that… THING and started attacking the town! Give us a hand will ya!"

"What on earth are you trying to do? Feed it!?" replied Malt.

Braeburn shrugged.

"It worked on the buffalo."

Rainbow Dash and Garret were circling the sky, trying to find ways they could intercede from the sky. Rainbow Dash noticed that the creature had turned it's attention away from the princess. Her eyes widened as she realized why.

"LOOK OUT!" she yelled out at the crowd of ponies still flinging pastries.

The creature noticed the crowd in the midst of the pie firing line. It trained its cannon on them. The crowd scattered just in time to prevent themselves from being incinerated. Princess Luna lowered her shield to attack again with her magic but the creature was ready for her. It swung its heavy shield up, over itself and back down, but It hit nothing but air as a white streak took Princess Luna away.

"Are you all right Princess?"

Luna blinked as she looked into the face of Garret.

Luna nodded.

Garret released her and she used her own wings to fly. Touching down behind the clock tower, they met up with Pinkie Pie, Spike and Fluttershy who escaped the inn just after the creature fired upon it.

"Uhm…Princess…What..What is that thing?" Fluttershy asked, obviously scared. She caught a glimpse of it, after it started attacking the town and knew immediately that it was not attacking out of some misunderstanding.

Luna shook her head. "I wish I knew… But we have to get it away from the town."

"Guys do you hear that?" Pinkie Pie exclaimed trying to gain their attention.

Spike ignored her "Well how do we do that? Bait?"

"Guys?" Pinkie said again.

"Oh no no no no no." Fluttershy exclaimed. "We can't ask somepony to endanger themselves…"

"Guys! Really! Listen!" Pinkie Pie was now jumping in front of their faces.

"I'll go." Garret said bravely, spreading his wings.

"GUYS! PLEASE LISTEN!!"

"What is it Pinkie Pie? I don't hear anyth…" Luna stopped herself, realizing what she just said.

"Exactly…" Pinkie Pie said quietly.

It was complete silence. The firing had stopped and so did the screams and yells of ponies. The group moved around the building. One by one, they peaked around the corner dreading what they might find. Their jaws dropped.

The creature was starring down the road, and so was everypony else. Rainbow Dash almost crashed into the ground below her, because of her wings freezing up from shock.

Trot Steamer stood at the other end of the road, facing down the blue behemoth. Applejack's hat sitting securely on his head. Trot looked the monster up and down, after realizing what it was. He gulped.

"Oh this is bad…This is very very bad…" He said quietly to himself. At the very least, his wounds and sores were gone, but he had the feeling he was going to be getting whole lot worse with this encounter.

The creature assumed a fighting position and aimed it's cannon to fire at him. Trot was nothing but a blur as he dodged the green ball of fire, rolling into a standing position. The creature took aim at him, ready to fire another shot.

Trot felt something inside of him come to life, almost like turning on a switch. He smiled and readied himself. He was afraid, very afraid…but he was used to it.

The monster charged him, swinging his shield up and back down again, only to connect with the solid earth. The citizens of Appaloosa watched as the Trail Blazer catapulted himself around the creature. Spotting a crate of mining tools, he sprinted over and managed to pull a pick-axe out with his teeth before the crate exploded. The creature charged at him again. After a brief moment of dodging, Trot was able to get behind him, and slam the sharp point of the pickaxe into an exposed section of pink flesh. The beast roared in pain and anger, as it swung wildly at its attacker. Trot had to let go of the pickaxe in order to avoid getting smashed into the soil.

As he rolled yet again to dodge another attack, He spotted Braeburn in the distanced, accompanied by Malt and Rainbow Dash.

"Don't just stand there gawking! Help me kill this thing!"

The request took the party by surprise, not so much by the fact that a pony they thought was dead just spoke to them, but more so by the fact that he requested help to 'kill'.

Rainbow Dash was the first to recover from the shock.

"You heard him! C'mon!"

With Rainbow Dash in the lead they headed towards the Appaloosa Blacksmith.

The beast was getting smarter. Trot had several close calls as it started targeting the ground, trying to kill the colt from the resulting explosions instead of a direct hit.
One of the explosions got too close, and the resulting heat burned the left part of his flank and hoof as well as part of his tail. Trot collapsed in pain, and tried to move, but he was too late. The beast loomed over him. Trot lifted his hoofs up in a last attempt to defend himself, but he knew it was useless. The metal shield came crashing down on him.

Trot opened his eyes and realized that he was still alive. The space around him glowed a bright blue. It was a magical barrier.

He turned his head around and saw Twilight and Trixie in the distance, concentrating.

Trot immediately saw the danger of what they were doing.
"Stop! You guys are going to be sitting ducks!"

"Don't you tell me what to do you blasted SHOW OFF!" Trixie yelled.

"Coming back to life?! HA! Oldest trick in the book!" Trixie focused on her magic.

"Trixie! Please focus!" Twilight commanded, before adding silently to herself. "I'm not losing a friend!"

The creature trained its weapon and fired.

"NO!" Trot yelled.

The green explosion engulfed both unicorns, but as the blast cleared the two ponies were left unscathed. A pale shield enveloping both of them.

"See?" Trixie said casually. "Told you I could do it! Piece of cake!"

Relieved, Trot looked back at the monster. It looked back at him. "Well…" Trot said mockingly. "Looks like were in a bit of a stalemate here."

Suddenly, he heard the sound of whistling winds followed by sickening piercing sounds. The creature roared and doubled over as several farming tools kept whistling itself down on its exposed back.

"Or not…" Trot said, he looked up and saw the princess, her eyes white, with a pale aura glowing around her. The farming tools came flying out of a wagon pulled by Braeburn, with Rarity and Rainbow Dash took the tools out of wagon for Luna to concentrate on taking hold of them with her magic, and sending the lethal ends hurtling towards the Monsters exposed back.

It took several farming tools, and almost a minute of attacking before the creature went limp. Wide eyed and panting she sat on her haunches, while Fluttershy and Garret attended to her.

Trot was released from the barrier that protected him, and moved up to the dead creature. Gripping a pitch fork from its back, he pulled it out with his teeth. Locating an exposed piece of flesh near the neck he plunged it in repeatedly, until he was satisfied. The corpse of the monster then began to disintegrate, like ash blowing in the wind. Trot didn't show any sign that this disturbed him at all. Discarding the tool, he spat on what was left of the monster.

"Woah…" Spike said watching in awe from a distance. Pinkie Pie covered his eyes.

Trot looked around wildly.

"Wheres the other one?!"

Nopony answered him, not knowing what he was talking about.

"Where's the OTHER ONE!?" He called out again, looking from Twilight to the Princess.

"There was only one. Was there supposed to be more?" The Princess asked, worried.

Trot looked around, scanning everything with his keen eyesight. Nothing.

"This thing is called a Hunter…they always fight in Pairs!" He shouted again, frustrated.

"WHERE IS THE OTHER ONE?!"

Just as Trot finished that sentence, an explosion rocked the town.

---

"Rarity!? Where are ya!" Applejack yelled into the darkness, the only source of light was the trees that were completely engulfed in flames.

"Rarity!" She called out again, running through the smoke. Unable to see 10 feet in front of her, she tripped over fallen timber, coughing as she inhaled a good amount of smoke from the fire around her. The ground beneath her began to shake, as the black figure she saw earlier, approached. She was dead still, and almost yelled as a large blue plated foot nearly crushed her. The Hunter was plowing through the trees slowly, looking for its prey. It suddenly froze, and Applejack feared that it had noticed her. But to her greater horror, she realized that the monster had noticed something else.

Rarity lay on the ground unconscious against an untouched tree. The apple tree Bloomberg stood defiant against the monster. It stood as defiant as any tree could, protecting the mare that lay unconscious behind it. Applejack felt helpless. The monster in front of her was terrifyingly powerful. One shot from its cannon had leveled a good chunk of the orchard, and it crushed entire trees like they were twigs. Yet as it aimed at Rarity, she got the courage to stand.

"You are not hurting mah friend! Get away from her! IM HERE! YA SACK OF CODFISH!" The hunter turned its attention toward Applejack. Great...now what.

The Hunter considered her for a brief moment, but decided to fire on Rarity anyway.

"NOOOO!" Applejack yelled as Bloomberg and the space around it was obliterated in green fire.

"OH CELESTIA! NO!! NOT RARITY! NOT MAH FRIEND!" Applejack yelled dropping to her knees, tears running down her cheek. The Hunter trained its cannon on her, ready to fire without hesitation after the cannon charged. From the smoke, a white Pegasus jumped over the flaming remains of Bloomberg. Gene, the royal guard, threw all of his weight against the monsters cannon, knocking it just high enough for the shot to overshoot Applejack by several meters.

Applejack's legs felt like lead. She wanted to move, but she was frozen in fear. Applejack watched like a helpless filly as the poor royal guard stood his ground against the towering monster.

Gene was without his armor, combine that with all his injuries and his all out attack against the monster's weapon, he was left staggering in pain. The monster swung its shield at Gene, and missed by only a few inches as Gene stumbled backwards, falling over debri. He was a sitting duck. Gene waited for the end, but it wouldn't come. At that moment, rain began to fall. The monster looked up and saw something that would make any mortal tremble. The Princess of the Night, and all her wrath. With a sudden crack, a continuous bolt of lightning struck the Monster. Finally a blinding light and then silence.

-----

Applejack awoke on the cold soft mud, with rain soaking her already drenched mane. She could hear several voices and hooves moving around, splashing on the newly formed puddles. She thought she could hear Twilight barking orders, and the sound of Fluttershy constantly repeating "Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness!"

"Hey Wake up! Are you alright?!" cried a vaguely familiar voice.

Applejack opened her eyes to see her cowboy hat bobbing up and down.

"Pappy is that you?" She mouthed.

"Oi! Wake up! Rarity! Get over here she's delusional!"

"Oh dear! Applejack!"

At the sound of Rarity's voice. Applejack's eyes shot open.

She was laying in the hooves of Trot Steamer. The pony she thought she had killed. Or maybe she did...and she herself was dead. Dead or not she needed to get out of the stallions hooves. She twisted and fought her way out of his grasp. She fell back on her haunches, as soon as she broke free. Rarity was in front of her, pulling her into a hug. "I'm so sorry dear applejack! I used an illusion spell to distract the hunter! I thought you had already run away! Please forgive me! I didn't want you to get hurt."

Applejack was stunned. Happy. But stunned. Her eyes darted from the destruction around them to the Trailblazer. He smiled awkwardly and took the hat off, placing it firmly back on her head.

"Your welcome."

-----

AUTHOR's NOTE:

"Thanks to everyone who commented and encouraged me to continue writing this. I hope you enjoy the story as it progresses. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Expect the next chapter by the end of this week, if real life doesn't get in the way first lol. "