• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 1,095 Views, 19 Comments

.hack// Pony Protocol - Shaq-of-All-Trades



A mass gaming craze hits Equestria, but there is more to it than meets the eye.

  • ...
1
 19
 1,095

A New Beginning

The next day, Twilight decided to try 'The World' again. She had spotted AJ earlier, but the orange pony had avoided her with unhidden disdain. Twilight felt her heart break a little more at it, and the freedom of 'The World,' as well as the need to find the pony known as Tri-Edge, called out to her despite her trying to resist it. As the game started up, she tried to determine what had happened. Her character had indeed been reduced to level 1, and all that she had gained was suddenly gone. It would be impossible to handle Tri-Edge as she was.

"This is so... so..." she screamed in frustration. A distance away in Canterlot, Spike shivered. Twilight finished letting out her anger, and felt a bit empty. There had to be a way for her to put the shattered pieces of her life back together. When her character appeared, she took a moment to look around the chamber in nostalgia. It had been a while since she had last seen this beginner area. Two ponies approached her, and she turned defensive. "What do you want?" she asked with barel contained annoyance. Memories of her first time in the game hit her hard like a stone to the flank. One of the ponies flinched, but the other simply grinned from behind her shades.

"Well, that's not too nice! Thought you'd be a bit nicer to the pony who played your bro's wedding... for free." Twilight's eyes widened slightly as recognition kicked in. It was Vinyl Scratch, aka DJ Pon-3. The unicorn's character had strange black armor that glowed at certain points like neon, and rings of the same nature. Her signature shades were fashioned like goggles, and her electric blue mane sizzled with sparks, her grin like a manic pony's. By comparison, her companion seemed much more sensible and elegant, wearing a simple white gown and a small hat. Her gray mane was orderly, and Twilight felt she'd get along with Rarity dazzlingly. "So you're finally playing, huh? Well, lucky for you,me and Octavia here love to help new players. Part of our guild's motto. We also take in new members of all varieties... Mostly since we only have three at the moment."

Octavia, the other pony, elbowed her in the side. "Vinyl, what did we say about discussing guild business?" Twilight held in a chuckle, but still kept her wits about her. Just because somepony knew her meant nothing. Twilight started walking to the Chaos Gate when Octavia called out to her. "Wait! Don't you need any assistance? We really are good at helping new players."

Twilight sighed. "I'm not a new player, ok? I'm the legendary PKK. haven't you two heard of me? 'Twilight, the Terror of Friendship?'" The two ponies looked at her and started laughing at the top of their lungs. Twilight gritted her teeth. "I wasn't joking."

Vinyl looked at the purple unicorn, and wiped at her eye. "You, the legendary PKK? Yeah, like I'd buy that. Besides, wasn't that pony's name 'TwiBright' or something? I mean, come on! You're a level 1 for pony's sake."

"You really shouldn't use other people's titles," said Octavia with a small smile, laughter still in her eyes. "That pony has some pretty strong enemies, and they wouldn't mind taking it out on you." Twilight rolled her eyes. She was on the verge of walking off, when the two ponies gave her their game addresses. "Come now, let us help you. What' the harm?"

"Fine, fine, where do you two want to go?" Twilight asked as she added them to her party. Vinyl had an impressed look on her face (as far as Twilight could tell; those goggles were really good at hiding expressions), and Octavia tilted her head. "What is it?"

"Just the first time I've seen a newb who knew how to add players to their party. Power to ya sister!" siad Vinyl with gusto. "Now, to go to different areas, we use the Chaos Gate behind you by-"

"By saying code words, yeah, yeah, I already know," Twilight said with no enthusiasm. "Now, where should we head? I kind of have things to do..." Vinyl pouted a little, then walked to the Chaos Gate. Twilight heard her say Delta Cascading Waterfall Pit, and they were suddenly in a dark cave. Waterfalls cascaded down on all sides, and the platform they stood on had only one direction. It was difficult to see in the darkness.

"So, this is a dungeon. Dungeons only have the mission, "Get the Treasure," so we won't have to fight all the monsters if you don't want to. However, we will need to get in a fight to teach you the basic combat controls." Vinyl started moving down the path, with Twilight directly behind her, and Octavia bringing up the rear. The trio did not have far to travel before they spotted a small mask-like monster floating. "Ready to throwdown Twi?" Vinyl asked. Twilight was already rushing past to start the battle. Vinyl and Octavia sighed, then moved to join her.

Twilight savagely attacked at the monster, ending the battle before either of the others had a chance to join in. "Well," Octavia said stunned, "I see she knows how to fight well enough. Maybe she isn't new?" Vinyl nodded her head, then thought of something.

"Hey Twi! Ever hear of a rengeki?" When Twilight shook her head, Vinyl smiled smugly. "See, Tavi? Totally a new player." She turned back to Twilight. "Well, in the next fight, watch the monster closely. If you hit it enough within a set time, it'll light up like a stage. Then, you use a skill and do extra damage. Even scores ya some bones XP."

Twilight looked away, hiding the shock on her face. She had never heard of rengeki's, and the fact that somepony like Vinyl was the one to tell her made her blood boil. "Let's just hurry up and finish." They delved deeper and deeper, before reaching the final chamber. Twilight slowly moved towards it, then paused. Events were playing out too similarly. She turned and looked at Vinyl and Octavia, who both had smiles on their faces. The sight disarmed her. They made their way into the chamber, and Twilight eyed the treasure chest warily. "Do either of you want this?"

"Why, that would be terribly unfair," said Octavia, "We came here to help you out, though, you proved you didn't really need us. The treasure is rightfully yours."

"Besides," Vinyl added in with a big grin, "Whatever's in there would suck for us. We're not as low in level as you, remember?" Octavia hit her on the head, and the pony simply smiled harder. Vinyl raised her goggles, looking at Twilight with a surprisingly cute expression. "But seriously, take it. If you really are that legend, then you'll need to get back to your old self. You're not exactly intimidating right now..." She pulled down her goggles and motioned at the chest. Twilight, who felt her heart waver at their heartfelt words, opened the chest and got new daggers. She equipped them and looked back.

"Thanks... sorry I've been kinda rude. Things have been tough lately." She was shocked when Vinyl leaped and hugged her.

"Aw, it ain't no thang! We've heard way worse. You'd be surprised how rude ponies can be, especially those ponies from Kestrel. They hate us like crazy." As soon as the words left her lips, a stamp rung through the chamber, frightening the three mares. A voice, laced with unhidden disdain, called out from the shadows.

"You're right we do. You ponies give us PK's an annoying time. You wonder why your guild has so few members; it's because you're weak, pathetic little nothings." A pony stepped from the shadows, with two others following close behind. "And if it isn't my favorite PKK, Twilight Sparkle. How have you been? We thought it was you, but we weren't sure since your level was so low. To think, one of the legendary 'Elements of Harmony' is now a low-level nothing. Revenge is going to be sweet indeed!"

Twilight took a step backwards as she recognized who it was. The one pony she had hoped to avoid as long as possible. The one who hated her more than any other. the pony who she had bested so many times, and who always sought revenge, without success. And now she was here, and Twilight was too weak to stand even an inkling of a chance.

"Trixie."